Is landing in Miami at 120pm too late?

mikebisch

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, mikebisch said:

There has been quite a bit of flight cancelations. Weather and covid related.

You asked on the CruiseAir board and were told by various people No.

You're not getting any better answers here.

Okay, let's say someone says Yes. What's your plan IF you miss the ship?

80% of the people are saying No

So, Unless you're a gambler on a level I can't even begin to conceive......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, dcsham said:

Not at all, there won’t be any stress involved. By all means book a flight that gets you to the cruise port city as close to embarkation as possible. That way, not a second is wasted. 

That's actually pretty funny.

OP, unlike a lot of other things where an hour delay doesn't make that big a difference, cruising is different.  Most folks literally living in Miami would have already left their homes and driven their car the 15 miles.  Ponder that.

• Like 1

Do a time line. How long from plane to baggage claim?  Maybe you are in transportation by 2:00, if lucky. If everything works perfectly, you make it with 15 minutes to spare. If not pretend you are in a Caribbean cruise port waving " by" to the ship.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!

You can't board after the terminal has decided the time has passed with the cut off.

So if final boarding time is 3pm, they may let you in after that time, or not.

Flight delays, weather, traffic,.

I had this almost happen to me on Dec 26th. I made the cruise.

But.. as I'm sitting at the Ottawa airport I had to decide

1 - do I get on the plane knowing I might miss my cruise?

2 - what will I do in Orlando for a week?

3 - do I try to make it to the port?

Right now you can't get on the ship at the next port.

Are you willing to miss your cruise? Are you willing to deal with intense insane stress from the time you get to the airport to the time you board the ship?

If the answer is yes then go for it.

Oh and perhaps you should book through Fly2Fun. They will try their best to get you to the ship if you've booked flights through Carnival.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

OP, never ask this question.  All the nervous folks will tell you to fly in days early.

Me, I'm okay with a bit of risk. I would look into getting the Carnival airport shuttle to the ship if available. 

There's an acceptable bit of risk and then there is common sense.  Arriving at 1:20 doesn't pass the common sense test.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Does anyone know CCL's current policy, if you miss embarkation, can you even board the ship at another port?  As I stated, since Covid, X doesn't allow you to.  If you miss embarkation you miss your entire vacation.

No flying to the next port currently.  You miss; you go home.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

OP, never ask this question.  All the nervous folks will tell you to fly in days early.

Me, I'm okay with a bit of risk. I would look into getting the Carnival airport shuttle to the ship if available. 

I highly doubt that the Carnival airport shuttles would run that late.

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Do tell K_e.  I wanna hear the full story!!

I was on the Mardi Gras cruise leaving Port Canaveral on Dec 26th.

I had to fly out that day as I could not be away for Christmas.

My flight was supposed to leave 815am, land in Orlando at 11:35am, shuttle pick up at 12:30pm, giving me a lot of tme to get to the port since the final boarding was 3:00pm.

We got into the plane, put on our seatbelts and then Orlando called our pilots and said "bad weather" (to explain there was no bad weather but I'm convinced the lack staff made them decide they wouldn't let us take off since they couldn't take us when we landed).

I sat at the Ottawa airport and after freaking out a bit decided that we'd get on the plane no matter what and if we missed the ship we'd spend a week in Orlando. We looked up car rentals and hotels, to make sure there was availability.

Ottawa is COLD in the winter time. We needed hot sun. This was our first winter trip since March of 2019.

Our flight took off at 1015am and landed in Orlando at 1:24pm. Our luggage did not arrive until 2:15pm. We got into a taxi and got to the port at 3:05pm. (final boarding was 3pm)

There was a shuttle pulling up and so we mixed in with those people taking the elevator up to the terminal.

We got on the ship.

In the future I would have booked Fly2Fun and the Carnival shuttle because we were able to make it to the ship in time.

I had wanted to use some expiring free airplane tickets and didn't think to book the Carnival shuttle.

Now I will say we became famous as we boarded the ship. I had posted on John Heald's page since I could't get a hold of anyone at Carnival. I also posted on my roll call, and the Canadian Carnival cruisers (all Book of Faces pages).

We became known as "oh you're Katie from Ottawa. Oh good you made it in time."

Edited by K_e_short
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

My flight was supposed to leave 815am, land in Orlando at 11:35am, shuttle pick up at 12:30pm, giving me a lot of tme to get to the port since the final boarding was 3:00pm.

We got into the plane, put on our seatbelts and then Orlando called our pilots and said "bad weather" (to explain there was no bad weather but I'm convinced the lack staff made them decide they wouldn't let us take off since they couldn't take us when we landed).

I sat at the Ottawa airport and after freaking out a bit decided that we'd get on the plane no matter what and if we missed the ship we'd spend a week in Orlando. We looked up car rentals and hotels, to make sure there was availability.

Ottawa is COLD in the winter time. We needed hot sun. This was our first winter trip since March of 2019.

Our flight took off at 1015am and landed in Orlando at 1:24pm. Our luggage did not arrive until 2:15pm. We got into a taxi and got to the port at 3:05pm. (final boarding was 3pm)

There was a shuttle pulling up and so we mixed in with those people taking the elevator up to the terminal.

We got on the ship.

In the future I would have booked Fly2Fun and the Carnival shuttle because we were able to make it to the ship in time.

I had wanted to use some expiring free airplane tickets and didn't think to book the Carnival shuttle.

Now I will say we became famous as we boarded the ship. I had posted on John Heald's page since I could't get a hold of anyone at Carnival. I also posted on my roll call, and the Canadian Carnival cruisers (all Book of Faces pages).

D@mn Katie.  Helluva story.  We ever sail together and I owe you a Labatts.

Hey OP, you see this?  Even Katie will say 'Don't be Katie.'

Edited by jsglow

6 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

There's an acceptable bit of risk and then there is common sense.  Arriving at 1:20 doesn't pass the common sense test.

This👆👆👆👆👆!  “Common Sense”.

Plus looks like OP is flying west coast to east. 

• Like 1

Hey fellow NYer!  I am sure you hear the horror stories of all the flights being canceled/delayed.  We have flown into MIA many, many times (again next week for our cruise) and have waited up to 45 minutes for our luggage to come out.  If you want to start your vacay stress-free I would book an earlier flight.  

13 hours ago, mikebisch said:

If you travel carry-on only and catch a cab to the port (20 minutes) you'd be there by 2 pm.  Assuming its Carnival - you must be onboard no less than 60 minutes prior to the published departure time, which probably means 3:30 - 3:45 at the latest, allowing for check in.

It comes down to the level of risk you are comfortable with.

9 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I highly doubt that the Carnival airport shuttles would run that late.

I would use  as a benchmark.  Last shuttle, pick up checked bags, distance from port, etc when making a decision. 

I just checked.  From Carnival: "To purchase Carnival's transportation service, your flight must arrive at Ft. Lauderdale International or Miami International Airport no later than 1:00 PM on the day of your cruise. Transportation service will be provided between 10:00 AM and 1:30 PM."

I'm generally okay with arriving on the morning of a cruise out of FL.

I don't like crowds so I generally avoid showing up at the terminal until 1 pm anyway.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jsglow said:

That's actually pretty funny.

OP, unlike a lot of other things where an hour delay doesn't make that big a difference, cruising is different.  Most folks literally living in Miami would have already left their homes and driven their car the 15 miles.  Ponder that.

That's a good point. I live 30 minutes from the port and I would not risk leaving my house at 1:20. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K_e_short said:

We got on the ship.

No flights out of Ottawa on Christmas night?  You do the family thing early and get to the airport by 600.

I think I flew in the morning of my cruise twice back in the late 80's before I knew better.

• Like 1