Update on P&O Insurance Issues

Megabear2

12 minutes ago, clearblueseas said:

The icing on the cake of course would be not to have the worry of possibly being disembarked in a foreign country but there’s no indication of that as yet as I can’t find anything regarding this online.

Sadly I think organising that one's a bit beyond me!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’ve kept pretty quiet on this because it’s been with the people at the top. I always said that there was a gap between cruise line expectation and reality which @Megabear2has done a great job highlighting.

My understanding is this move covers the gap that has been the issue.

But  does it cover for partners who test negative? As my wfies sole carer, who could not cope on her own, if either of us tested positive and were disembarked, the other would also need to isolate with them. This might not apply with able bodied passengers, but I feel certain that many would want their partner  to be with them to provide support for them.

This latest statement does not address this issue.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But  does it cover for partners who test negative? As my wfies sole carer, who could not cope on her own, if either of us tested positive and were disembarked, the other would also need to isolate with them. This might not apply with able bodied passengers, but I feel certain that many would want their partner  to be with them to provide support for them.

This latest statement does not address this issue.

I have asked in plain English for a yes or no on this point

"Reading this it seems to specifically refer to POSITIVE testing passengers but I am assuming that as all the conversations have been regarding NEGATIVE testing passengers being disembarked the phrase "However, if your insurance doesn’t cover your required disembarkation arrangements, we will organise and pay for your isolation stay and journey home" does in fact apply for those passengers forced to disembark by port authorities regardless of their test results. I should be grateful for your confirmation of this"

To my mind there would be little point in adding wording about paying for costs not covered by insurance for positive tested passengers because they are already covered. The only grey area there would be if the insurer would not accept the passenger being offloaded as necessary (and my previous reply had indicated this might occur). Therefore I think P&O are trying to cover all eventualities but as usual being very clumsy and non committal.  

I'm hopeful Molecrochip is right but await the confirmation from Adam Edinburgh.

44 minutes ago, lindyloo22 said:

Where on the P&O web site is this new information as I’ve looked but can’t find it.

You need to log into your booking and then click on to the COVID-19 Hub at the top of the page.  Scroll down to Contents and select no. 4 - Your Experience on board.  Open the Q - We'll take care of you if you test positive for COVID-19 on board.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lindyloo22 said:

Where on the P&O web site is this new information as I’ve looked but can’t find it.

On the front page of the website is a blue banner. If you click on “we’ll look after you” it gives their covid protocols. There’s a question there about what happens if you test positive whilst on board. You’ll find it there. Hope that works for you

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

On the front page of the website is a blue banner. If you click on “we’ll look after you” it gives their covid protocols. There’s a question there about what happens if you test positive whilst on board. You’ll find it there. Hope that works for you

I stand corrected - I hadn't seen the blue banner.  Apologies, you don't have to be logged in. 

Edited by Astrajet

4 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Does anyone know what Marella policy is on covering offloading costs ? Wrong forum I know but can’t find anything - think i will write to them .

Thanks 

Not much help to you I know but I wrote on 1 February to the CEO registered offices of Celebrity, RCI, Fred Olsen, Cunard, Carnival on behalf of Princess and P&O specifically about their relationship with HE.  I also wrote in different terms to Marella, NCL and Saga who have different recommended insurers.  The only correspondence received from any cruise line on the issue has been from Carnival and P&O, not even an acknowledgement from the rest.

Marella, however, use AXA as their recommended insurer and I believe from recollection that my old AXA policy which expired in November did offer some cover.

Definitely worth chasing.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not much help to you I know but I wrote on 1 February to the CEO registered offices of Celebrity, RCI, Fred Olsen, Cunard, Carnival on behalf of Princess and P&O specifically about their relationship with HE.  I also wrote in different terms to Marella, NCL and Saga who have different recommended insurers.  The only correspondence received from any cruise line on the issue has been from Carnival and P&O, not even an acknowledgement from the rest.

Marella, however, use AXA as their recommended insurer and I believe from recollection that my old AXA policy which expired in November did offer some cover.

Definitely worth chasing.

Thanks mega - will do

5 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Does anyone know what Marella policy is on covering offloading costs ? Wrong forum I know but can’t find anything - think i will write to them .

Thanks 

Paul - I tried via 'chat' back in November, and received the following responses from Marella/Tui -

Me -  We have a cruise booked for January, and I would like to know - in the event that myself or my wife tested positive during the cruise, and were disembarked into a quarantine hotel on shore, what assistance will Marella give. 

I have been made aware that even comprehensive insurance will not cover costs for the ‘non-positive' person who tests negative.

Agent says - Hi Mike, I will just get the information we currently have.

Me - I'm aware this senario has happened on at least one cruise in the Med this autumn. RCL, Celebrity and some other lines have stated no passenger will suffer financially, which presumably means they will cover costs not picked up by your insurance

Agent says - Thank you for waiting Mike. I have had a look and been advised the following:  Costs for such an event would not be covered by TUI. This is an insurance matter and different travel insurance providers offer different things so we would be unable to comment.

Me - Have Marella actually examined their recommended Insurers cover for such an event? I thought that my LV cover was adequate until I posed the question. From postings on Cruise critic P&O thread, many major insurers aren't covering this. Hence some cruise lines stepping in.

Agent says -Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to comment on other companies. Marella wouldn’t cover the cost it would be the insurance company that you would need to speak to if this was too happen whilst on board the ship.

Me - Can you confirm that if I purchased the insurance from you, that we would be covered. The cover that is available when you book a cruise

Agent says - You would need to read through the booking terms and conditions for the Insurance as this will advise what is covered in the cover you was looking too book.

Me - Cruise with Confidence doesn't ring true based on what you have told me. Can I have a copy of the chat please

Edited by howmuch!
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks howmuch - I had a feeling that would be their response. I have written to them anyway so will update you with any reply.

We had 14n booked for Jan 4th, but on the strength of LV and Marella responses, and then Omicron struck, we changed to a land holiday in April, while we had the option.

Edited by howmuch!
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

We had 14n booked for Jan 4th, but on the strength of LV and Marella responses, and then Omicron struck, we changed to a land holiday in April, while we had the option.

Mine is in May - I might try and change and lose deposit if necessary. Balance due in 2 weeks so I’ll have to make my mind up. Pain. But don’t want to have to pay a lot for hotel and new flights etc as well as losing some of the holiday.

38 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks howmuch - I had a feeling that would be their response. I have written to them anyway so will update you with any reply.

Suggest you send them a copy of the new P&O policy and tell them you might need to consider changing cruise lines!  Try using cut and paste of some of the arguments I raised with the insurers as well.

My experience says go for the underbelly where they are weakest.  They've already had bad publicity and they cannot argue with the British Chamber of Shipping and EU directives which state passengers ARE THEIR RESPONSIBILITY. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Suggest you send them a copy of the new P&O policy and tell them you might need to consider changing cruise lines!  Try using cut and paste of some of the arguments I raised with the insurers as well.

Thanks - Yep I’ve mentioned in my email the new P&O policy - and also that contact has been made with the insurance companies by members of this forum.

Hats off to p&o.

I repeat my amendment above in case you missed it

My experience says go for the underbelly where they are weakest.  They've already had bad publicity and they cannot argue with the British Chamber of Shipping and EU directives which state passengers ARE THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks - Yep I’ve mentioned in my email the new P&O policy - and also that contact has been made with the insurance companies by members of this forum.

Hats off to p&o.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I repeat my amendment above in case you missed it

My experience says go for the underbelly where they are weakest.  They've already had bad publicity and they cannot argue with the British Chamber of Shipping and EU directives which state passengers ARE THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.

Yes I’ll add that to any reply I send - thanks - I’ve also said I will post their response here.

• Like 1

Thank you Megabear2 for all of the letters you have written and all the phone calls you have made. Your persistence has been much appreciated. The prospects are looking a bit better for our cruise later on in the year. Maybe we won't have to cancel after all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest, once you are on the ship, how often are you tested?  Is it only for when you want to go ashore?  I note from the P&O list, that many ports do not require a test for you to go ashore, only a PLF

Edited by jeanlyon

32 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Out of interest, once you are on the ship, how often are you tested?  Is it only for when you want to go ashore?  I note from the P&O list, that many ports do not require a test for you to go ashore, only a PLF

There are currently no tests unless required by the ports, particularly as we no longer need them to come back to England.   With rules relaxing worldwide there should, variants aside, be far less testing anywhere. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

There are currently no tests unless required by the ports, particularly as we no longer need them to come back to England.   With rules relaxing worldwide there should, variants aside, be far less testing anywhere. 

And, as I have previously said,  with no testing, people who suffer possible minor Covid symptoms are likely not to report themselves to the medical team,  so as to avoid themselves and their travelling companion being off loaded.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, watsonbeau said:

Megabear2 - would be most interested to know if Cunard will be doing the same as P&O ?

Thank you for all your amazing efforts. 

Pleased to say Cunard have now posted the same information and adopted the policy.

• Like 2