Update on P&O Insurance Issues

Megabear2

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect that clarity is the last thing the insurance companies, or the cruise lines want. They prefer a grey area where their legal team can debate the merits of each case, then agree some sort of settlement without prejudice.

In industry committees, we called it the too difficult box. If an issue could not be agreed, a bit of ambiguity was introduced.

Very true.  We shall see.  I doubt they want public knowledge on this issue to become widespread. As Mark says above 100 people on these boards having knowledge won't do much.  The wider public having that knowledge is an entirely different scenario.

I was once involved with a train company that the management of absolutely KNEW the entire travelling public wanted television which never switched off in every carriage with "selected advertisements" and short programmes. This was the future they boldly stated.  Thankfully the public in that area thought differently as did the local MPs, one of whom locked himself in the train lavatory to demonstrate it was the only place he would be able to work in peace.  Coverage by local radio and television along with newspaper coverage did the rest.

There are not and never have been televisions on trains and as a result the research showed a demand for quiet zones on trains which are now commonplace on all companies' trains.  Sometimes the single little man ignites a spark and the organisations have to listen.

As I say, sometimes against all the odds you can win.

• Like 9

On 1/16/2022 at 11:31 AM, Dermotsgirl said:

I noticed that this thread got a mention of a social media site.

obe of the people that commented said that she had been offloaded in a Spanish port as testing positive. Her husband, still testing negative offloaded himself with her. Apparently, he wasn’t allowed to stay with her in the  quarantine hotel - he had to find his own hotel.

I hadn’t even thought of that scenario as a possible outcome. 

That is why i read this great piece of advice years ago from someone, couples should always make sure they both have access to a credit card in case one of them has to leave ship for hospital treatment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

That is why i read this great piece of advice years ago from someone, couples should always make sure they both have access to a credit card in case one of them has to leave ship for hospital treatment.

My husband and I have never even had a joint bank account. We use different banks and credit cards!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

My husband and I have never even had a joint bank account. We use different banks and credit cards!

That's good the point the original idea came from was if a couple only has one credit card and the one with there name on it is rushed to hospital abroad there partner might not have access to any money themselves.

13 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

That's good the point the original idea came from was if a couple only has one credit card and the one with there name on it is rushed to hospital abroad there partner might not have access to any money themselves.

I agree with you, it is a good idea to ensure that all parties have access to a card. Same with phone/tablet and chargers as shown by Izzy’s quarantine experience! 

Just seen this. Very interesting

Just received this latest update from P&O

We have updated our policy for customers who contract Covid while onboard.

Currently we had a policy which meant that if your customer had to be medically disembarked due to Covid they would need to make personal arrangements to get back to the UK and claim back the expenses from their insurance provider.

While this has worked effectively up until now we have listened to feedback, particularly around some of the reasons guests might be reluctant to travel and contracting Covid while away and the uncertainty that surrounded this was high on the list of customer concerns.

As a result we have updated our policy to the following:

If you’re required to disembark the ship, we’ll always work with the local authorities to secure the most appropriate accommodation for your period of isolation. In most instances, these will be pre-determined hotels which have been identified as ones able to accommodate positive cases of COVID-19. Our dedicated support team will help you to contact your travel insurance provider. However, if your insurance doesn’t cover your required disembarkation arrangements, we will organise and pay for your isolation stay and journey home.

If you're required to isolate/quarantine, or in some cases disembark the ship, due to testing positive for COVID-19 during your holiday, you'll be given a non-refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) pro-rated for the duration of days lost from your booked holiday with P&O Cruises. This FCC (which for UK guests is not ABTA or ATOL protected) can be used on any new booking and is valid for two years from the date of issue. 

We hope this change will give your customers increased reassurance, safe in the knowledge that any costs that isn’t covered via travel insurance will be covered via P&O Cruises meaning customers will not be left out of pocket and can focus on enjoying their holiday with us.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cristaltips said:

Currently we had a policy which meant that if your customer had to be medically disembarked due to Covid they would need to make personal arrangements to get back to the UK and claim back the expenses from their insurance provider.

While this has worked effectively up until now we have listened to feedback, particularly around some of the reasons guests might be reluctant to travel and contracting Covid while away and the uncertainty that surrounded this was high on the list of customer concerns.

If you’re required to disembark the ship, we’ll always work with the local authorities to secure the most appropriate accommodation for your period of isolation. In most instances, these will be pre-determined hotels which have been identified as ones able to accommodate positive cases of COVID-19. Our dedicated support team will help you to contact your travel insurance provider. However, if your insurance doesn’t cover your required disembarkation arrangements, we will organise and pay for your isolation stay and journey home.

If you're required to isolate/quarantine, or in some cases disembark the ship, due to testing positive for COVID-19 during your holiday, you'll be given a non-refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) pro-rated for the duration of days lost from your booked holiday with P&O Cruises. This FCC (which for UK guests is not ABTA or ATOL protected) can be used on any new booking and is valid for two years from the date of issue. 

We hope this change will give your customers increased reassurance, safe in the knowledge that any costs that isn’t covered via travel insurance will be covered via P&O Cruises meaning customers will not be left out of pocket and can focus on enjoying their holiday with us.

So contacts who do not test postive but are required to disembark are not covered by this? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So contacts who do not test postive but are required to disembark are not covered by this? 

It is confusing that the top paragraph does not mention positive test at the beginning but mentions positive hotels and the later paragraph states FCC only for positive.

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It is confusing that the top paragraph does not mention positive test at the beginning but mentions positive hotels and the later paragraph states FCC only for positive.

Yes it is confusing. It is not well written.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cristaltips said:

Where did you find this please?  I have checked p&o website and cannot see anything.

5 minutes ago, clearblueseas said:

Scroll down from  Number 4 your experience onboard

We’ll take care of you if you test positive for COVID-19 on board

If you or a member of your travelling party tests positive for COVID-19 during your cruise, we’ll take care of you 

Similar to the protocols for all international travel, if you test positive for COVID-19 whilst on board, you and your close contacts will need to isolate for your well-being and the well-being of other guests. We’ll help you move to a dedicated cabin with a balcony and we’ll make sure you’re well looked after with full room service, a menu choice of three meals a day, free access to TV channels and laundry service. Our dedicated medical experts will also be on hand to take care of you as you cope with the symptoms of COVID-19. This will be for either the duration of the required isolation, until the next port of call, or until the scheduled port of disembarkation.

Any instances of positive tests on board will be managed by our on-board medical teams in conjunction with local port authority / Port Health requirements and protocols to determine the best course of action. The framework of protocols for cruise ships can differ slightly to those on land or to other forms of travel. Some ports, such as those in Spain, require guests and their close contacts who have tested positive to disembark their ship and continue their period of isolation ashore in that country.

If you’re required to disembark the ship, we’ll always work with the local authorities to secure the most appropriate accommodation for your period of isolation. In most instances, these will be pre-determined hotels which have been identified as ones able to accommodate positive cases of COVID-19. Our dedicated support team will help you to contact your travel insurance provider. However, if your insurance doesn’t cover your required disembarkation arrangements, we will organise and pay for your isolation stay and journey home*.

All UK resident guests who test positive for COVID-19 and are in isolation on their return to Southampton will be able to travel home to isolate after disembarkation. This can be in your own car (if you parked in Southampton) or via a private hire car which would be organised by us. We’d ask that you check with your insurance provider as they may reimburse for travel costs associated with a positive COVID-19 test. If your provider won’t cover the cost of the journey home, we’ll take care of it for you.

Don’t forget, appropriate travel insurance remains a requirement to travel. Please click here to read more. You can also read our Q&A with Adam Edinburgh, Head of Insurance at Holiday Extras, which helpfully explains why cruise cover is different to standard cover and answers some frequently asked questions.

*Per our booking conditions it is mandatory to have travel insurance with COVID-19 cover. If you unfortunately test positive during your holiday, you should let your insurance company know immediately and keep them updated throughout your period of isolation. If you’re required to disembark the ship, we will look after you by providing all of the following free of charge: calls from the ship to your insurance provider to let them know of your disembarkation (and we will work with them to support any claims), hotel accommodation with standard meals, non-alcoholic drinks during the period of isolation, flights from the isolation destination to your country of residence, and associated airport transfers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you clearblueseas.  I've now read the Q&A with Adam Edinburgh who is the person I have been communicating with.  In this he says:

"Please note that if you are disembarked at the insistence of any port authority or other such authority, without consultation with the insurer or against the recommendation of the insurer’s medical assistance team, then Holiday Extras will not cover for this eventuality. However, P&O Cruises will organise and pay for your isolation stay and journey home. For further information, please click here."

This would indicate that the new policy is intended to cover the uninsured risk if a negative test occurs but you are offloaded.  I will write to Adam Edinburgh tomorrow to get clarification but it does sound like we may have what we wanted from P&O.  

It will be interesting to see if this policy only refers to them - I had been asking about Cunard as well.  

• Like 6

I have written to Adam Edinburgh in the following terms and copied in P&O:

Dear Adam,

I have been forwarded the following from a friend:

"Just received this latest update from P&O

We hope this change will give your customers increased reassurance, safe in the knowledge that any costs that isn’t covered via travel insurance will be covered via P&O Cruises meaning customers will not be left out of pocket and can focus on enjoying their holiday with us."

I am aware this policy is now also shown on the P&O website together with a Q&A hosted by yourself.  Reading this it seems to specifically refer to POSITIVE testing passengers but I am assuming that as all the conversations have been regarding NEGATIVE testing passengers being disembarked the phrase "However, if your insurance doesn’t cover your required disembarkation arrangements, we will organise and pay for your isolation stay and journey home" does in fact apply for those passengers forced to disembark by port authorities regardless of their test results. I should be grateful for your confirmation of this.

I would also be grateful for confirmation either from yourself or a representative of Carnival Group UK as to whether this amendment in policy also applies to the other companies in their group, in particular Cunard.

I look forward to hearing from you with the necessary clarification.

Thank you once again for your continued interest and help on this issue."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I sincerely hope this is the case that we’re covered for all costs as a negative close contact by P & O.

The icing on the cake of course would be not to have the worry of possibly being disembarked in a foreign country but there’s no indication of that as yet as I can’t find anything regarding this online.

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’ve kept pretty quiet on this because it’s been with the people at the top. I always said that there was a gap between cruise line expectation and reality which @Megabear2has done a great job highlighting.

My understanding is this move covers the gap that has been the issue.

Thank you.  I would agree the gap certainly seems to have closed with this.  It does seem to be my promised good news from Adam Edinburgh.