Update on P&O Insurance Issues

Megabear2

Hi Megabear 2 Just received from avanti on your questions I asked 

Thank you for your email.

It states in our policy wording on page 30:

We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits under section 3a Emergency Medical & Repatriation expenses for each insured person who contracts COVID-19, as proven by a medically approved test showing a positive result for COVID-19, during an insured trip outside the United Kingdom for the following:

c) additional travel and accommodation costs as authorised by our Assistance Company up until our Medical Officer advises that you can be repatriated home.

d) additional travelling costs to repatriate you home when you are denied boarding on your pre-booked return travel due to you contracting COVID-19

e) a benefit payment of £20 per complete 24-hour period up to £300 where you are ordered into self-isolation in your holiday accommodation by a relevant Government authority, as a result of you contracting COVID-19.

We would cover the person that tested positive. Anyone else would be on a claim-by-claim basis so this would need to be deemed necessary by our medical officer.

I hope this answers your question for you.

Kind regards,

16 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Hi Megabear 2 Just received from avanti on your questions I asked 

It states in our policy wording on page 30:

We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits under section 3a Emergency Medical & Repatriation expenses for each insured person who contracts COVID-19, as proven by a medically approved test showing a positive result for COVID-19, during an insured trip outside the United Kingdom for the following:

c) additional travel and accommodation costs as authorised by our Assistance Company up until our Medical Officer advises that you can be repatriated home.

d) additional travelling costs to repatriate you home when you are denied boarding on your pre-booked return travel due to you contracting COVID-19

e) a benefit payment of £20 per complete 24-hour period up to £300 where you are ordered into self-isolation in your holiday accommodation by a relevant Government authority, as a result of you contracting COVID-19.

We would cover the person that tested positive. Anyone else would be on a claim-by-claim basis so this would need to be deemed necessary by our medical officer.

I hope this answers your question for you.

Kind regards,

Fascinating!! Just received this from the same company!!

Unfortunately, I would be unable to forward this over to Mr Kearney as it is the responsibility of our customer service team to answer customers. I can assure you that the information that we relay to customers is the information we have from our policy documents written by our underwriters that would be dealing with your claim.

Our cover would provide cover for the customer that was to test positive. Anyone else would be on a claim-by-claim basis and this would be determined by our medical officer. We would cover if it was deemed necessary. You would need to call us straight away so that we can tell you what you need to do and what we would cover for.

Please accept my apologies if this is not as definitive as you needed.

Incidentally Avanti are owned by Staysure so share the same underwriter  ...

Edited by Megabear2

Just for you Zap!  Just received from Ancile regarding GoodToGo.

Good afternoon,

All polices provide cover for emergency medical treatment and repatriation, when medically necessary, if you catch COVID-19 whilst abroad. Our cover for cancellation varies on different schemes.

Please note that our policies do not provide cover for cancellation caused by a change in FCDO advice, to advise against all or all but essential travel, due to COVID-19 or any other pandemic. If you travel to a destination where the government is advising against all or all but essential travel, our policies will not provide any cover.

There is no cover if you choose or are instructed or recommended to quarantine or isolate abroad as a result of an infectious disease including COVID-19 unless you incur emergency medical treatment.

There is no cover under any other section of the policy for anything caused by or relating to COVID-19/Coronavirus/SARs COV 2, any mutation of Covid 19/Coronavirus/SARs COV 2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any of the above.

We do offer additional cover which is called over sea return quarantine which is the following:
Additional travel insurance cover if you are denied boarding on your return journey due to having or being suspected of having an infectious disease (including COVID-19).

Up to £40 per person per day (up to a maximum of £560) towards additional accommodation expenses (of a standard no greater than your original booking).

Up to £300 (Europe), £500 (Worldwide) per person towards the cost of return transport home. (This must be at a standard no greater than the class of transport on your outbound journey, on the same mode of transport and at the earliest possible date based on medical or local authority advice).

Please note: This cover is not applicable if you have booked a package holiday. In that situation you should contact your tour operator for support.

This is all the wording around COVID-19 and I hope this helps. You can contact MoneyHelper travel directory on 0800 138 7777 to find some alternative travel insurance providers.

Kind regards,

Amy Groves

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Just for you Zap!  Just received from Ancile regarding GoodToGo.

Good afternoon,

All polices provide cover for emergency medical treatment and repatriation, when medically necessary, if you catch COVID-19 whilst abroad. Our cover for cancellation varies on different schemes.

Please note that our policies do not provide cover for cancellation caused by a change in FCDO advice, to advise against all or all but essential travel, due to COVID-19 or any other pandemic. If you travel to a destination where the government is advising against all or all but essential travel, our policies will not provide any cover.

There is no cover if you choose or are instructed or recommended to quarantine or isolate abroad as a result of an infectious disease including COVID-19 unless you incur emergency medical treatment.

There is no cover under any other section of the policy for anything caused by or relating to COVID-19/Coronavirus/SARs COV 2, any mutation of Covid 19/Coronavirus/SARs COV 2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any of the above.

We do offer additional cover which is called over sea return quarantine which is the following:
Additional travel insurance cover if you are denied boarding on your return journey due to having or being suspected of having an infectious disease (including COVID-19).

Up to £40 per person per day (up to a maximum of £560) towards additional accommodation expenses (of a standard no greater than your original booking).

Up to £300 (Europe), £500 (Worldwide) per person towards the cost of return transport home. (This must be at a standard no greater than the class of transport on your outbound journey, on the same mode of transport and at the earliest possible date based on medical or local authority advice).

Please note: This cover is not applicable if you have booked a package holiday. In that situation you should contact your tour operator for support.

This is all the wording around COVID-19 and I hope this helps. You can contact MoneyHelper travel directory on 0800 138 7777 to find some alternative travel insurance providers.

Kind regards,

Amy Groves

So if you buy the extra cover and are quarantined ashore, the insurer will only pay for you to get back home if you return by cruise ship (for up to £300)!  Presumably there is some flexibility!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clearblueseas said:

This is the straightforward reply my travel companions received from Staysure today.

‘’ Thank you for your email. 

In response to your questions please see below; 

Sadly, any costs incurred due to a change in list, or restrictions etc. including but not limited to additional testing and hotel quarantine, cannot be claimed on your travel insurance. 
We can  only cover costs if you were to get a positive test. 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. “

Quite unbelievable and very worrying indeed.

This is actually the kind of straightforward talking the cruise lines could do with using

Makes a change to see some honesty and transparency for once when discussing this

In the words of one of my heroes, boys and girls we are winning, love and life (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)'

Quo5e

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your email. Mr Pack has asked me to follow up with you regarding your concerns - I head up our insurance team and am responsible for the sale of our travel insurance product.

Firstly, thank you for your feedback, it is very helpful to have such a well written enquiry, such as yours, to check against. Please see my best answers to your questions below.

I should start by stating plainly that the scenario you describe, where a passenger without a positive case of COVID-19 is disembarked against the advice of their travel insurance assistance team, is not an insured event under our policies. This answer should have been clearly communicated to you when you asked, and I am sorry this was not made clear at the time. I think my colleague Liz has since reached out to you to help explain the ins and outs of the cover - and if you have any more questions on this please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

To add, broadly this issue of passengers being disembarked for COVID-19 related reasons is indeed a complex one, and in fact I have had several discussions with our cruise partners and our underwriters on this very topic, as we needed to establish who held responsibility to the customer in a number of specific, and often complex, scenarios.

This is where your feedback has proven exceptionally helpful - it has directly led us to take a couple of actions, of which I hope you will be pleased to hear about:

1. We have identified some wording in an FAQ section from one of our partner’s websites that could be confusing to customers. I have opened discussions around this content, and we are at present working together with our partner and our underwriters to ensure the content is as accurate and clear as possible to prevent any further confusion.

2. Your comments have highlighted a gap in clarity of our policy wording in what is a real concern for you and I am sure many other passengers (especially with the prevalence of the omicron variant) - my thanks again for your direct feedback. I have re-opened discussions with our underwriters, who were very receptive to the feedback, and are reviewing the content of the policy documents now, and exploring what can be done to make it clearer, such as calling out this specific exclusion.

We and our insurers continually take learnings from our claims and assistance cases and also from customer feedback to ensure our wordings and other information provided has the customer needs at the forefront.

I hope the above is helpful, please do let me know if I can help further.

Kind regards

Unquote

Excuse my French but I think we just might have the bxxxxxxxs rattled ..ll

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

In the words of one of my heroes, boys and girls we are winning, love and life (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)'

Quo5e

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your email. Mr Pack has asked me to follow up with you regarding your concerns - I head up our insurance team and am responsible for the sale of our travel insurance product.

Firstly, thank you for your feedback, it is very helpful to have such a well written enquiry, such as yours, to check against. Please see my best answers to your questions below.

I should start by stating plainly that the scenario you describe, where a passenger without a positive case of COVID-19 is disembarked against the advice of their travel insurance assistance team, is not an insured event under our policies. This answer should have been clearly communicated to you when you asked, and I am sorry this was not made clear at the time. I think my colleague Liz has since reached out to you to help explain the ins and outs of the cover - and if you have any more questions on this please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

To add, broadly this issue of passengers being disembarked for COVID-19 related reasons is indeed a complex one, and in fact I have had several discussions with our cruise partners and our underwriters on this very topic, as we needed to establish who held responsibility to the customer in a number of specific, and often complex, scenarios.

This is where your feedback has proven exceptionally helpful - it has directly led us to take a couple of actions, of which I hope you will be pleased to hear about:

1. We have identified some wording in an FAQ section from one of our partner’s websites that could be confusing to customers. I have opened discussions around this content, and we are at present working together with our partner and our underwriters to ensure the content is as accurate and clear as possible to prevent any further confusion.

2. Your comments have highlighted a gap in clarity of our policy wording in what is a real concern for you and I am sure many other passengers (especially with the prevalence of the omicron variant) - my thanks again for your direct feedback. I have re-opened discussions with our underwriters, who were very receptive to the feedback, and are reviewing the content of the policy documents now, and exploring what can be done to make it clearer, such as calling out this specific exclusion.

We and our insurers continually take learnings from our claims and assistance cases and also from customer feedback to ensure our wordings and other information provided has the customer needs at the forefront.

I hope the above is helpful, please do let me know if I can help further.

Kind regards

Unquote

Excuse my French but I think we just might have the bxxxxxxxs rattled ..ll

Hi Megabear2,
   I wholeheartedly aplaud and conratulate you on your absolutely brilliant efforts throughout this saga,  your efforts have been outstanding.  Sadly however, rightly or wrongly, my reading of this reply suggests to me that while it may very well lead to clearer wording of the relevant section/s of their policy, they have no intention of actually altering their intentions, and will still not cover the issues you have brought to their notice?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, debege said:

Very true but we have an admission there's a gap and they are saying the cruise lines shouldn't be saying all is well when clearly it isn't. 

The next natural step of progression is that the cruise lines (not just P&O) can't hide behind something that doesn't exist and hopefully will put pressure on the insurers.  If this investigation has the result of leading to a chink in the armour showing its got to be a good negotiating tool with the other insurers and the cruiselines.

I have said very many times before I'm not bashing P&O with a big stick for the sake of it, I just believe they should be honest about why they are effectively covering their rear end with the statement on the website at the possible expense of their customer. If there is a misunderstanding about what can be achieved by me as an individual  then I apologise. I'm afraid I can't change the minds of CEOs and their companies just because its what I'd like. What I can and will do is have a good shot at making these organisations treat their customers fairly.

Everybody is not insured with HE, there's loads on here who aren't, including me I'm! I'm just currently  fighting with them because my immediate family has policies with them and they are the recommended insurer of the cruise companies.  Although I include everyone on here as my "friends" the problems do not go away if I win, but it does open the line of communication for everyone else. Much as I want the insurers to cover these events nobody can actually force them to do so and that has always been the proviso behind all of this work in getting answers - it is to get a buyer beware clause with a clear message by the cruise lines as to how they will protect us.  If I can negotiate something better I will because I believe in openess and fairness.

What is good is that in less than a week the walls have come down a little, we've gone from tough that's how it is too they're talking amongst themselves and to me.  Eventually something has to give and hopefully it will be in the passengers' favour at the end.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Regarding the old HE policy, my brother in law has one.  In his words he spat his dummy at both HE and P&O yesterday. His policy cover is:

Quarantine in the situation of local law is covered however, only if it’s deemed a medical emergency by a doctor therefore, if you have covid but are asymptomatic you’re not covered at all even though you have covid.

Edited by Megabear2

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Very true but we have an admission there's a gap and they are saying the cruise lines shouldn't be saying all is well when clearly it isn't. 

The next natural step of progression is that the cruise lines (not just P&O) can't hide behind something that doesn't exist and hopefully will put pressure on the insurers.  If this investigation has the result of leading to a chink in the armour showing its got to be a good negotiating tool with the other insurers and the cruiselines.

I have said very many times before I'm not bashing P&O with a big stick for the sake of it, I just believe they should be honest about why they are effectively covering their rear end with the statement on the website at the possible expense of their customer. If there is a misunderstanding about what can be achieved by me as an individual  then I apologise. I'm afraid I can't change the minds of CEOs and their companies just because its what I'd like. What I can and will do is have a good shot at making these organisations treat their customers fairly.

Everybody is not insured with HE, there's loads on here who aren't, including me I'm! I'm just currently  fighting with them because my immediate family has policies with them and they are the recommended insurer of the cruise companies.  Although I include everyone on here as my "friends" the problems do not go away if I win, but it does open the line of communication for everyone else. Much as I want the insurers to cover these events nobody can actually force them to do so and that has always been the proviso behind all of this work in getting answers - it is to get a buyer beware clause with a clear message by the cruise lines as to how they will protect us.  If I can negotiate something better I will because I believe in openess and fairness.

What is good is that in less than a week the walls have come down a little, we've gone from tough that's how it is too they're talking amongst themselves and to me.  Eventually something has to give and hopefully it will be in the passengers' favour at the end.

My concern is that after having clarity from the insurance companies , we then need confirmation from the cruise lines that they will cover any gaps that are left.

Travel insurance for elderly and those with medical conditions is already expensive, and passengers need to know that any costs incurred that are not covered by the insurers will definitely be met by the cruise lines, and not by passengers.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

My concern is that after having clarity from the insurance companies , we then need confirmation from the cruise lines that they will cover any gaps that are left.

Travel insurance for elderly and those with medical conditions is already expensive, and passengers need to know that any costs incurred that are not covered by the insurers will definitely be met the cruise lines, and not by passengers.

Exactly.  When I started pushing P&O back in late October after the first Iona incident they were adamant they could not share the information that they had been meeting these costs if insurance would not pay. Their reasoning for this was that discussions took place between their insurers and the passengers' insurers when this happened and that if they published or made known they would cover the costs it was game over for them getting insurance companies to pay.

Whilst having sympathy with them on that point they have rather upped the ante by posting the new information about offloading.  By doing this and not covering all scenarios they've rather  painted themselves into a corner.  Passengers will be checking what's covered on their policies in the same way I did.  The insurance companies are going to have to publish the exclusions so the information will be there in black and white. Cruisers both already booked ones and prospective ones will rightly ask the cruise line who's paying if I can't insure? It would be financial suicide to say you are  - who in their right mind would book a cruise under those terms - so the cruise lines will have to offer a solution.

The whole point of my exercise has been to reach an end where myself and my family know that someone, anyone, is picking up the tab not just as goodwill but confirmed policy in writing. I'm taking you guys and every UK cruise passenger along for the ride!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I have replied to my new HE contact:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your involvement with this issue, and also that of Liz who has indeed been helpful in explaining your current policy.

As you will have gathered this issue is one of enormous concern to not only my family and I, but as you rightly say, all cruise passengers.  You will have seen from my previous emails that I have been aware of this potential problem for quite a long time and as a consequence have been in discussions with several cruise lines for some months.  

I am therefore aware that this issue is not limited to Holiday Extras policies but involves about 90% of travel insurance policies on sale in the UK.  You are in the unfortunate position of being in partnership with several companies as their recommended insurer.

Because this is a very emotive issue there has been a great deal of social media chat about these unfortunate offloaded people.  Being offloaded into somewhat lacking hotels and being asked to pay upfront costs of several thousand pounds a person is a very scary prospect when you have purchased what purports to be the best insurance policy for a cruise.  

I note from information provided by Liz that your underwriters and yourselves are relying on the UK Chamber of Shipping suggestion passengers should quarantine onboard.  No doubt your business partners are in their discussions making you aware that in a great many places such as the Caribbean this indeed is what is happening - one of your business partners has even moved an out of service ship to Barbados to fulfil this role when required. Unfortunately this is not the case in Europe as the ships are sailing under different rules and subject to local laws.

I assume it has been a commercial decision by your company not to offer any insurance cover for this scenario as after very full research amongst the companies offering cover for cruising I have found companies who will offer insurance policies for this scenario. It is clear that they are more well known brands rather than so called specialist travel insurers, most of whom seem to share Great Lakes and Mapfre as their underwriters.  I understand TIF who are named on my brother in law's policy are no longer involved in the UK travel insurance market following the pandemic.

With Covid being covered in specifically detailed sections of policies the inclusion of cover for what is a pretty rare event at a time when the pandemic is hopefully being downgraded is surely not too big a risk to include, even if at a cost to the policy buyer. 

I am aware through a series of cruise specific websites I subscribe to, that most passengers would be happy to pay a reasonable additional premium for this cover.  What they are unhappy with is being uninformed and left in ignorance.

I note you are speaking with your underwriters and the cruise lines and therefore wonder whether you might also be prepared to discuss with these parties if it is commercially feasible to add this form of cover to your own policies.

Travel insurance is a very expensive item for older people and those with medical conditions.  The market for them is very limited.  Your policies are recommended by a lot of travel providers and surely it must be better to offer something better than your rivals in the so called specialist travel insurers?

I would be most interest to hear why your company has chosen not to explore this option and what you are expecting the cruise lines to do for their and your customers who have been misled into believing full cover when they purchased these "recommended" policies.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

5 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

Interesting on YouTube 

Thank you, that is an interesting watch.  Like most of the things I've seen that she has done, I thought she presented a pretty accurate and balanced summary and provided good advice.

And she has the best part of 100,000 subscribers, so this video will hopefully increase awareness of the situation and associated risks across a substantially larger proportion of the UK cruising fraternity than will have become aware of them via CC.

Hi all, 

After reading this thread I sent my insurance Company an email. Here is their response:

Your LV travel policy does cover cruises and you would be covered for the following

If you test positive on the cruise then that person is covered under the medical expenses of £10m to:

Leave the ship to quarantine / receive medical treatment including any tests needed,

This would also cover a travelling companion who has not tested positive.

And under Section N Part 1

Cover to re-join ship after an illness £1000

You are covered for agreed extra transport (but not taxi fares unless we’ve specifically agreed to pay for these)

So it looks as if LV cover a negative companion too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Carpgirl said:

Hi all, 

After reading this thread I sent my insurance Company an email. Here is their response:

Your LV travel policy does cover cruises and you would be covered for the following

If you test positive on the cruise then that person is covered under the medical expenses of £10m to:

Leave the ship to quarantine / receive medical treatment including any tests needed,

You are covered for agreed extra transport (but not taxi fares unless we’ve specifically agreed to pay for these)

Very interesting, as we have an annual policy with LV (taken out in November 21), but when I asked for clarification on 2 occasions, I was told that the negative passenger would not be covered for isolation costs, but would be able to claim up to £1000 under 'additional transport and accomodation costs (Premier policies only). 

4 hours ago, Carpgirl said:

Hi all, 

This would be excellent news as it would be an update of their policies.  On 8th October 2021 they stated:

No quarantine cover, positive testing person covered fully under medical section.

I note howmuch! also has had the response of no cover.  Under the circumstances perhaps they could return to LV with our direct question and inform them another policy holder has been told they are covered.

From my conversation with the FCA they indicated that the large insurance/banking groups would be more likely to offer what they termed  "unusual cover". LV being one of the biggest may indeed be ahead of the game.

Incidentally as an aside it seems Holiday Extras are the preferred partner of Fred Olsen, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity as well.  Marella have AXA but clearly HE have a grip on mainstream cruising as the lines preferred partner.

Edited by Megabear2

5 hours ago, Carpgirl said:

Hi all, 

That's a lot better than some, but still doesn't state that they will cover other negative contacts (people in bars, on coaches etc).

23 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

That's a lot better than some, but still doesn't state that they will cover other negative contacts (people in bars, on coaches etc).

As one of my earlier posts said, the actual policy wording simply says there is cover if you go into quarantine, no other qualification applied.  However, that's the £1,000-limit extra accommodation/travel clause.

15 hours ago, howmuch! said:

Very interesting, as we have an annual policy with LV (taken out in November 21), but when I asked for clarification on 2 occasions, I was told that the negative passenger would not be covered for isolation costs, but would be able to claim up to £1000 under 'additional transport and accomodation costs (Premier policies only). 

I've written to LV this time (telephoned previously), quoting the other members response from LV, so await their reply.

56 minutes ago, clearblueseas said:

Having received a reply from FCA it seems they will follow up as to why Staysure do not state on their policy that negative close contact covid cases are not insured by them. Had we known this in the first place we wouldn’t be in this dilemma !

Please keep us informed of Staysure's response, our policy is also with them and I will want some assurances from P&O if Staysure are not going to cover this before we pay our balance for our June cruise.

Terrierjohn

i posted this a few days ago……….

This is the straightforward reply my travel companions received from Staysure today. We had a similar response.

‘’ Thank you for your email. 

In response to your questions please see below; 

Sadly, any costs incurred due to a change in list, or restrictions etc. including but not limited to additional testing and hotel quarantine, cannot be claimed on your travel insurance. 
We can  only cover costs if you were to get a positive test. 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. “

so, no. we are not covered. We are really worried and in a very difficult situation here as are numerous other passengers.

3 hours ago, clearblueseas said:

Having received a reply from FCA it seems they will follow up as to why Staysure do not state on their policy that negative close contact covid cases are not insured by them. Had we known this in the first place we wouldn’t be in this dilemma !

FCA are following up on a lot of them now.  My general enquiry to the unfair terms team has gotten through I think.  Sadly though, none of this is going to make P&O give the assurances John is looking for.  I've been met with stoney silence on three emails, including a personal one.  My brother in law also complained but has no acknowledgement either.

If we are to believe HE they are unhappy with P&O/Cunard making what they term "misleading statements".  I guess they may be speaking between them.

The reference to HE's partner statements must be to P&O and Cunard as I've searched RCI, Celebrity and Fred Olsen sites and there is no specific reference to offloading on any of them.

Edited by Megabear2