Update on P&O Insurance Issues

Megabear2

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

But no mention of help if you have to quarantine if you test negative, and the comments about choosing your own hotel in which to quarantine, do not apply to Europe. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But no mention of help if you have to quarantine if you test negative, and the comments about choosing your own hotel in which to quarantine, do not apply to Europe. 

Question already asked last week. No acknowledgement strangely....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, Eddie99 said:

Megabear - would it be a good idea to adjust your thread title to include the term P&O, to ensure it is relevant and needs to stay here, not be whisked away to UK Cruisers or some such?

Keep up the good work - you’re enjoying it, aren’t you?

Well the thread is certainly getting some traction on a minor UK cruise forum site that has little in common with P&O.  😈

On 1/21/2022 at 10:38 PM, terrierjohn said:

I am deeply disappointed in P&O/Carnival, but I suppose it just reinforces my long held view that their customer service is extremely third rate when compared to RCI, and continues to make me mourn P&O Princess's decision not to merge with RCI and and to greedily accept Ted Arisons dollar.

My view of course is exactly the opposite. After one cruise with RCI that was enough.

And that comes from a 'Caribbean' member.

Having sailed on Iona from Southampton in December (when did RCI last sail ex-UK in the winter months) we had a wonderful experience and P&O were amazing.

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Well the thread is certainly getting some traction on a minor UK cruise forum site that has little in common with P&O.  😈

I've no idea which minor site you refer to and as I am not a social media user am not too concerned.  The insurance issue is absolutely nothing to do with P&O alone, the title of the thread was changed at the request of other board users.  The issue is relevant to anyone planning a sailing in the near future while ships sail under the present rules.

You are a very experienced and knowledgeable cruiser, others looking at cruises may well not be and seeing recommended insurers will believe, rightly, that if the cruise line is indicating you require a certain level of insurance that they are best served to purchase that particular one. The recommended insurer is the same for RCI, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Cunard, Princess and P&O, we also have learnt that Saga are finding themselves in a problem with being overruled on how their passengers are handled.

I sail P&O and Cunard in particular because I enjoy and like their products. I also have sailed RCI, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and MSC because their offering on those occasions was what I required at the time.  In no way is it intended to pick out any specific line for criticism, sadly they are all involved here probably by naivety in not checking fully what "full Covid cover" insurance actually covers in relation to the terms they are currently being forced to sail under.

All the time Covid is the "bogey man" and different countries have different ways of dealing with it the passengers are told to sail aware that things can change in minutes with ports changing and restrictions altering.  Why then should they not be informed on the insurance position in the same way?  If there's nothing to be worried about should they not be informed?

I make no apologies for saying it's good if the word is spreading, perhaps it might encourage all involved in the affair be they cruise lines, insurance companies or countries authorities, to address the situation.

• Like 9

My view of course is exactly the opposite. After one cruise with RCI that was enough.

Having sailed on Iona from Southampton in December (when did RCI last sail ex-UK in the winter months) we had a wonderful experience and P&O were amazing.

Richard, other than P&O and Cunard, when did Carnival sail from Southampton in winter, Princess certainly don't.

My own view is that RCI are much more customer focused that Carnival.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I believe I have found this "minor forum" and have now posted to state that it is not a P&O issue per se but rather an insurance/cruise line/authorities one.  I most definitely do not want any line singled out for complaint or censure, this is industry wide and no one company should become a whipping boy.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Nothing wrong with RCI. Why would they want to sail ex UK in the winter. You seem to have a downer on this forum and RCI. We have sailed as many cruises on RCI as we have P&O. I don't understand the reason for you posts.

I have a reply from AllClear.  Although not with bells and whistles there is some cover. It is again the £2,000 that we saw mention of by Cover For All. They helpfully highlighted the clause which I attach.

Thank you for your reply.

AllClear cover provides cover in the event :

An insured person contracts COVID abroad OR

Needs to isolate due to being in contact with someone with COVID (on the orders of the treating medical practitioner)

However, we do not offer cover for the loss of the cost of the trip.

I hope this resolves your query.

Unquote 

Kind regards,

Claire Young

Lead Complaint Handler

image001.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Nothing wrong with RCI. Why would they want to sail ex UK in the winter. You seem to have a downer on this forum and RCI. We have sailed as many cruises on RCI as we have P&O. I don't understand the reason for you posts.

I certainly have no downer on this forum whatsoever: indeed, outside of facebook, I find it an excellent cruise debating medium. I simply made the point in defence of P&O while using RCI as an illustration. I do like to tell it as it is. RCI and their sister line,  Celebrity, cherry pick the UK market during the summer and autumn months. There are thousands of UK cruisers who are more than grateful to P&O, Cunard, Saga and Fred Olsen for continuing UK sailings throughout the year.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I believe I have found this "minor forum" and have now posted to state that it is not a P&O issue per se but rather an insurance/cruise line/authorities one.  I most definitely do not want any line singled out for complaint or censure, this is industry wide and no one company should become a whipping boy.

So I see. And well done you for your excellent answer putting the record straight. 😉😉

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I've no idea which minor site you refer to and as I am not a social media user am not too concerned.  The insurance issue is absolutely nothing to do with P&O alone, the title of the thread was changed at the request of other board users.  The issue is relevant to anyone planning a sailing in the near future while ships sail under the present rules.

You are a very experienced and knowledgeable cruiser, others looking at cruises may well not be and seeing recommended insurers will believe, rightly, that if the cruise line is indicating you require a certain level of insurance that they are best served to purchase that particular one. The recommended insurer is the same for RCI, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Cunard, Princess and P&O, we also have learnt that Saga are finding themselves in a problem with being overruled on how their passengers are handled.

I sail P&O and Cunard in particular because I enjoy and like their products. I also have sailed RCI, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and MSC because their offering on those occasions was what I required at the time.  In no way is it intended to pick out any specific line for criticism, sadly they are all involved here probably by naivety in not checking fully what "full Covid cover" insurance actually covers in relation to the terms they are currently being forced to sail under.

All the time Covid is the "bogey man" and different countries have different ways of dealing with it the passengers are told to sail aware that things can change in minutes with ports changing and restrictions altering.  Why then should they not be informed on the insurance position in the same way?  If there's nothing to be worried about should they not be informed?

I make no apologies for saying it's good if the word is spreading, perhaps it might encourage all involved in the affair be they cruise lines, insurance companies or countries authorities, to address the situation.

Hi again. I've answered above. Well done you.

Out of interest I switched to Avanti Insurance in January 202. They have a most interesting section on Covid Emergency medical & Repatriation and cancellation.

As with all things related to insurance, you get what you pay for.

Have a nice day and safe cruising.

6 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Out of interest I switched to Avanti Insurance in January 202. They have a most interesting section on Covid Emergency medical & Repatriation and cancellation.

Can't see that it covers a non positive covid person being off loaded. 

58 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Hello Richard.  My husband has an Avanti policy and as a result were one of the first asked the question.  There is no cover for quarantine without a positive test. I have confirmed this with their CEO office and the FCA is currently looking into them.

Our cover would provide cover for the customer that was to test positive. Anyone else would be on a claim-by-claim basis and this would be determined by our medical officer. We would cover only if it was deemed necessary. You would need to call us straight away so that we can tell you what you need to do and what we would cover for.

Please accept my apologies if this is not as definitive as you needed.

Unquote 

Avanti are owned by Staysure and share their underwriter (as do Holiday Extras). As clearblueseas has found this underwriter will not cover quarantine for a negative tested passenger as they do not believe the UK market requires it. Basically Avanti have told me technically no cover so I need to cover my husband's costs up front and then allow the cruise line's insurer to argue their case with them. I'm sure you would agree this is not offering any comfort or confidence to the passenger.

In a nutshell you have answered exactly why this section of the board and any other means of getting the word out is necessary. You believed like most people buying the supposedly best will ensure you have cover.  Sadly if the market isnt offering the cover you could pay a million pounds and you still aren't protected.

Perhaps as someone who is well respected in the cruise forum/blog market you could consider helping passengers apply pressure to ensure they can buy the required cover.  

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

I certainly have no downer on this forum whatsoever: indeed, outside of facebook, I find it an excellent cruise debating medium. I simply made the point in defence of P&O while using RCI as an illustration. I do like to tell it as it is. RCI and their sister line,  Celebrity, cherry pick the UK market during the summer and autumn months. There are thousands of UK cruisers who are more than grateful to P&O, Cunard, Saga and Fred Olsen for continuing UK sailings throughout the year.

I don't expect non UK based cruise lines to sail year round from the UK, RCI did in fact base Independence OTS in Southampton for at least one season, but they struggled to make it viable.

The other UK lines you mention do sail year round from Southampton, but they do base some of their ships overseas, and even those still based here, do try to maximise their hot weather cruises with longer roundtrip cruises to the Caribbean or South America, as well as some Northern Lights cruises  which don't appeal to everyone.

Do I take it you don't have an Avanti Policy then? 😉

And no doubt you are considering whether Avanti is the best policy for you now that you know you are not covered for the circumstances that have been at the heart of this whole thread.  In future, perhaps you should ensure you know the full facts before you make insufferably smug comments?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have a reply from AllClear.  Although not with bells and whistles there is some cover. It is again the £2,000 that we saw mention of by Cover For All. They helpfully highlighted the clause which I attach.

Thank you for your reply.

AllClear cover provides cover in the event :

An insured person contracts COVID abroad OR

Needs to isolate due to being in contact with someone with COVID (on the orders of the treating medical practitioner)

However, we do not offer cover for the loss of the cost of the trip.

I hope this resolves your query.

Unquote 

Kind regards,

Claire Young

Lead Complaint Handler

image001.png

Hi megabear, I finally took out this policy the other day even though I thought I got it right by reading what you got highlighted, I actually phoned them up this morning to put my mind at rest and they really assured me that I was covered if I tested negative and had to go into quarantine ashore with my positive partner,  but only up to £2,000 but it’s better than nothing I guess .

I really want to thank you for all your help and time your putting into helping getting this insurance problem brought to everyone’s attention.

• Like 1

I have this morning been invited by the FCA to make official complaints against Holiday Extras, Staysure, Avanti and Allclear. These are the insurers for my immediate family. Whilst happy to do this for the first three I am unsure if it will be productive as we know their underwriter is looking to amend the terms to show quarantine in the exclusions. I am thinking I may be better to write to the cruise line CEO offices (not just p&O) and ask them to comment directly on HE's last reply. That would cover most UK sailings apart from Marella who use a different insurer.

Any thoughts or indeed any contact details much appreciated. I'm out all day so nothing will happen until tomorrow whatever I do. Cheers!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

Just received the Saga brochure, and interestingly enough on the "included insurance" page it stresses that Covid related cover during the cruise is only covered under the emergency medical section. My recollection is that, as standard, this only applies if you are offloaded for medical reasons - i.e, cannot safely be treated on board.

Quarantine in a hotel probably does not count as a medical emergency.

Thinking of booking, but before I do I will write to Saga and ask what happens if tested positive, not ill, but get offloaded anyway. And what happens if a non-positive partner wants to stay ashore with you.

• Like 2