NCL Opts-in To CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships; Continued 100% vaccination and pretesting

kylenyc

The CDC's Framework for Conditional Sailing Order expired making it voluntary for cruise lines. I'm glad NCL announced it will voluntarily opt-in and require passengers and crew to be vaccinated and test negative prior to embarkation.

Full press release here https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-reaffirms-210500650.html

MIAMI, Jan. 14, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NYSE: NCLH) (together with NCL Corporation Ltd., “Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings”, “Norwegian” or the “Company”) today announced that the Company’s three brands – Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises – have opted into the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (“CDC”) COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters (the “Program”), the agency’s voluntary COVID-19 risk mitigation program for foreign-flagged cruise ships operating in U.S. waters. The Program comes into effect after the expiration of the Temporary Extension and Modification of Framework for Conditional Sailing Order on January 15, 2022.

“The health and safety of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. We have demonstrated this commitment since our return to service in July of last year, with protocols that exceeded those required by regulatory agencies, including 100% vaccination of guests and crew, universal testing of all guests prior to embarkation and routine testing of all crew,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “Furthering our commitment to health and safety, with the expiration of the CDC’s Conditional Sail Order, our three brands have opted into the CDC’s voluntary Program, which provides the cruise industry with a set of operating provisions to protect the health and safety of guests and crew. Our adoption of the voluntary Program provides guests, crew, travel partners and other stakeholders with the assurance that our brands will continue to meet and exceed the provisions laid out by the CDC and provide unparalleled health and safety protocols not found in any other sector of the travel and leisure space.”

The Company advised the CDC of its three brands opting into the program earlier today. As part of its SailSAFE health and safety program, the Company’s SailSAFE Global Health and Wellness Council, chaired by former head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, continues to advise the Company on protocols in light of advancements in medicine and technology to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Press Release continues here...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-reaffirms-210500650.html

• Like 18

I was a little hopeful they would drop the testing requirement. I’m happy with keeping everything else. We had a bad experience in Mexico last summer with my husband and a friend testing positive twice on rapid tests and then negative on a PCR and it pretty much ruined the last two days of our trip. My husband is now unwilling to do any trip that requires testing. 😭 I really wanted to treat him to a cruise to Alaska in May for his birthday but I’m going to have to rethink that. Maybe things will change again…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I was a little hopeful they would drop the testing requirement. I’m happy with keeping everything else. We had a bad experience in Mexico last summer with my husband and a friend testing positive twice on rapid tests and then negative on a PCR and it pretty much ruined the last two days of our trip. My husband is now unwilling to do any trip that requires testing. 😭 I really wanted to treat him to a cruise to Alaska in May for his birthday but I’m going to have to rethink that. Maybe things will change again…

NCL really needs to continue testing at the terminal at check-in. No matter how inconvenient. Even if it were an additional direct charge cost to each passenger. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL really needs to continue testing at the terminal at check-in. No matter how inconvenient. Even if it were an additional direct charge cost to each passenger. 

Agree. With the increase demand and difficulty of getting tests from labs, doing it at the embarkation port may be inconvenient but gives a little bit more piece of mind and safety and a touch more freedom to selectively mingle with fellow guests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I was a little hopeful they would drop the testing requirement. I’m happy with keeping everything else. [...]

If they don't want my money. Tons of other vacation options available without testing requirements. We will see how long the cruise lines will be able to afford it when other businesses move on.

Edited by onetimearoundtheworld
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Does this mean they will keep the cruises  at minimum passengers, Say ships half full for the foreseeable future?  I hope so!

Doubt it.  Many ships are more than half full now.  The Getaway crossing was over 65%.

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Does this mean they will keep the cruises  at minimum passengers, Say ships half full for the foreseeable future?  I hope so!

I think the relative low demand will keep the cruises low for at least some time, unless you’re sailing holiday or maybe spring break weeks. Except for Christmas week, all accounts have been they’ve been way under ~60% for most sailings. 

Edited by psac