Cunard's Packing Guide

Solent Richard

This isn't  new - it changed sometime before they restarted  I think.  The models are too young - but they are kinda dressed in clothes that  I would consider too old for me - and I'm 69!  

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

The passengers older than the models , but dress with more style than the clothes Cunard choses for these young models.

It is such a shame Cunard don't use models that represent 95% of their passengers, it almost seems they are ashamed of us oldies. A bit silly as 90% of worlds wealth is in the hands of the over 65s.

• Like 1

The dumbing down is definitely real. We are in our early 30s, started cruising with Cunard ten years ago, and are always at the smarter end of the dress-code. Such a shame that the elegance and formality of Cunard isn't seen as a selling point any more. There are *so* many other lines we could go to if what we wanted was a casual experience in the evening.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Well, quite a lot of the passengers are old, if not always tired.

But, in the majority, they are smartly dressed, even when in casual attire.

The Carnivalisation packing guide a should declare the attire as minimum standard.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

It is such a shame Cunard don't use models that represent 95% of their passengers, it almost seems they are ashamed of us oldies. A bit silly as 90% of worlds wealth is in the hands of the over 65s.

You're thinking about that wrongly. People don't want to have their age reflected back at them. People want to feel young and alive and stylish and fabulous. This is the same method which is generally used by fashion brands.

5 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

You're thinking about that wrongly. People don't want to have their age reflected back at them. People want to feel young and alive and stylish and fabulous. This is the same method which is generally used by fashion brands.

Precisely:  clothes manufacturers generally display the wares as they believe their customers will hope to look in them --- not the way those customers will actually look (which would likely seriously depress sales).

Edited by navybankerteacher

8 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

I get that with younger models - but the clothes they  are wearing haven't been in style this century!  The smart casual stuff was fashionable in the 80s! Im no fashionista and I'm not young or skinny but I wouldn't be seen dead in those dresses. This is the sort of thing that would work just fine and are far mor flattering Down Town Dresses - Our Best Selling Dress | Annah Stretton - surely the UK has designers like this? 

15 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Precisely:  clothes manufacturers generally display the wares as they believe their customers will hope to look in them --- not the way those customers will actually look (which would likely seriously depress sales).

There are some very elegant models of the same age as the passengers,  using them will show not only the way passengers  would hope to look and would also have a chance of looking like.. Using younger models just says you are all too old to look smart so we use younger people..

As for the fashions themselves for day wear, completely agree with Lisse they are old and frumpy, a young marketeers idea of what their granny would wear. Shows how they don't understand customer base

A picture is supposed to say a 1000 words. In this case they do  completely the opposite.  The written dress code is clear , pictures are not needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so confused! We will be on Cunard sailing this spring for the first time.

I've been reading comments that imply the "new" dress code has been relaxed.

The gala evening dress code clearly states "black tie". Everything I've read states - that black tie means tux or formal dinner jacket w/accessories. Yet, on other threads, I'm reading that a suit and tie is acceptable men's attire on those evenings. And on the other evenings, a jacket is optional as is a tie.

I am by no means here to start a debate. I am a travel advisor who specializes in cruising. I want to have first-hand experience to be able to advise my clients on the Cunard line and was provided this opportunity to experience a crossing first-hand. I realize many cruisers are looking for an expereince that embraces the elegance Cunard embraces.  My DH and I have every intention of following the guidelines (if I  can make sense of them), but he has no intention of purchasing, packing, or renting a tux for one voyage. We will do alternate dining and miss the shows if "Black Tie" is required. 

Thank you for your help.

@sippican, the Cunard dress code has been relaxed in the following ways that I am aware of.

1. On Smart Attire evenings, jackets are now optional for gentlemen. Jackets used to be required on most Smart Attire evenings.  That requirement had been relaxed on embarkation days in the Mediterranean, then Australia/New Zealand itineraries, then some Alaska itineraries. Now since the resumption of operations, jackets are now optional on all Smart Attire evenings.

2. There are fewer Gala Evenings then there used to be. For example, on 7-night QM2 crossings, there used to be three Gala Evenings on the schedule. Now there are only two. The dress code itself for Gala Evenings has not been relaxed.

Edit to add: The Gala Evening dress code has always allowed either tux/dinner jacket or dark suit and tie for gentlemen.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sippican said:

I'm so confused! ...

I suspect part of the confusion about the dress code is that the Cunard website doesn't completely spell out the dress code in words the way that can be found elsewhere. Here is the Cunard dress code as spelled out in the Daily Programmes.

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

The only significant change to this wording recently is the part about "jacket ... is optional" for gentlemen on Smart Attire evenings. On most itineraries, the Smart Attire dress code used to read "jacket for gentlemen; tie is optional" prior to the pause in operations in 2020.

I hope this helps clarify the Cunard dress code, especially the part about dark suit and tie being acceptable for gentlemen of Gala Evenings.

Can confirm from personal experience (well my partner's ) - a dark suit, white shirt and in his case a bow tie is perfectly acceptable on gala nights - take a gold or red bowtie for the red and gold night gala 

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I suspect part of the confusion about the dress code is that the Cunard website doesn't completely spell out the dress code in words the way that can be found elsewhere. Here is the Cunard dress code as spelled out in the Daily Programmes.

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

The only significant change to this wording recently is the part about "jacket ... is optional" for gentlemen on Smart Attire evenings. On most itineraries, the Smart Attire dress code used to read "jacket for gentlemen; tie is optional" prior to the pause in operations in 2020.

I hope this helps clarify the Cunard dress code, especially the part about dark suit and tie being acceptable for gentlemen of Gala Evenings.

7 minutes ago, lissie said:

Can confirm from personal experience (well my partner's ) - a dark suit, white shirt and in his case a bow tie is perfectly acceptable on gala nights - take a gold or red bowtie for the red and gold night gala 

Thank you!

That is most helpful and exactly what I was hoping to learn.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, jimbo1683 said:

It doesn’t work on anyone with any sense of self.

• Like 2