Filming of Coral Discoverer Cruise Kimberleys

3.00 am today on SBS, I discovered filming of the Coral Discoverer on a cruise of the Kimberleys.  As well as some magnificent scenery and sunrise, they filmed passengers eating and talking in the dining room.  Of course, at night it is just black.

This is like the long filming of train journeys, except it is on a boat.  There is something fascinating about these films of  long journeys.

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

3.00 am today on SBS, I discovered filming of the Coral Discoverer on a cruise of the Kimberleys.  As well as some magnificent scenery and sunrise, they filmed passengers eating and talking in the dining room.  Of course, at night it is just black.

This is like the long filming of train journeys, except it is on a boat.  There is something fascinating about these films of  long journeys.

With filming of the boat cruise, there is more happening than on a train journey.  Just showed a crocodile with a turtle in its mouth.  Now showing the mechanics of getting the little boat, which takes passengers cruising, back on board. 

My dream is to cruise on this boat. 

I remember when this was first on.... it was great it really gave the feeling of what it was like..

one thing I noticed was over the length of the cruise.... the numbers in the small boats seamed to reduce..... could it be one river looks very much like another.....

Overall very enjoyable watch.....     bucket list was to do True North, but waiting on Mr Lotto..

Don with Coffee

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You can't do yet, McGowan has just postponed the 5 Feb opening up of WA indefinitely.

Maybe they'll do more cruises to smaller places up the East Coast of Australia instead.  I loved my cruise from Singapore to Sydney across the top of Aust from Darwin down the East Coast of Australia to Sydney.  As I soaked up the view from my permanent spot on a deck chair, I thought this is as nice as anywhere I've cruised overseas.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you for sharing.  I  came across the film by accident. 

I remember them screening the whole thing in 2019 along with a Ghan one and NZ north to south by car. Can't say I watched the whole six hours, just bits here and there. It is hypnotic and relaxing. Apparently this slow TV concept was started in Norway when a TV station strapped a camera to the Flam railway. 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Maybe they'll do more cruises to smaller places up the East Coast of Australia instead.  I loved my cruise from Singapore to Sydney across the top of Aust from Darwin down the East Coast of Australia to Sydney.  As I soaked up the view from my permanent spot on a deck chair, I thought this is as nice as anywhere I've cruised overseas.  

We've done a couple of cruises like that. One to Hong Kong which went via Bali, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. The other was to Japan and went to Kota Kinabalu, Vietnam and a couple of Japanese ports. Both were great cruises with lots of relaxing sea days at the beginning. 

Coral Discoverer sails around Tasmania for most of March.  Adventurer and Geographer do itineraries out of Cairns around the Great Barrier Reef and Arnhem Land.  They are expedition journeys; they don’t do “ports”, just remote beach landings. The Kimberley cruises for the next two years are heavily booked, but the WA border situation will restrict passengers to Western Australians only in the main.  My last two cruise with Coral had 25 pax and 49 respectively.  If Darwin doesn’t become available, they have used Wyndham in the past.  Fabulous trips!  (I’m going to watch that show on SBS on demand.)

Note maximum of 99 passengers instead of usual 120.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Coral Discoverer sails around Tasmania for most of March.  Adventurer and Geographer do itineraries out of Cairns around the Great Barrier Reef and Arnhem Land.  They are expedition journeys; they don’t do “ports”, just remote beach landings. The Kimberley cruises for the next two years are heavily booked, but the WA border situation will restrict passengers to Western Australians only in the main.  My last two cruise with Coral had 25 pax and 49 respectively.  If Darwin doesn’t become available, they have used Wyndham in the past.  Fabulous trips!  (I’m going to watch that show on SBS on demand.)

Good to hear you have enjoyed your cruises on Coral.  I have been following their cruises down west coast of WA.  Abrolhos Islands are on my wish list.  However, all of WA is not available to anyone from the Eastern States at present. Unfortunately, the ship just had covid in Hobart, despite all their precautions. At least the passengers are in Australia!

Loved this the first time around. Thanks for the post, will watch again this weekend.  My Sydney friend has this booked for May.  Personally, I wouldn’t have booked for 2022 but I hope for their sakes the WA border is open by then. Otherwise they are looking at a hefty credit.

I’m watching the doco at the moment.  Very relaxing, I must say.  I have seen two lots of whales: the first few just after Cockatoo Island, the next around Buccaneer Bay.  I might be going again on April 28, this time to see the waterfalls in full flow. (I don’t think my Wales and Scotland trip will eventuate.)

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, Port Power said:

Good to hear you have enjoyed your cruises on Coral.  I have been following their cruises down west coast of WA.  Abrolhos Islands are on my wish list.  However, all of WA is not available to anyone from the Eastern States at present. Unfortunately, the ship just had covid in Hobart, despite all their precautions. At least the passengers are in Australia!

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Top dollar those Coral cruises. Solo traveller $2000 per day, they have to be joking.

I recently saw another "no single supplement" on an small cruise ship, so keep your eyes open for specials.  My last cruises were "no single supplement".  Agree most solos couldn't afford to pay for a double for a solo.

In that case land travel is less expensive and better value like your rural car trips.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Checking Coral Expeditions’ website last night, they have closed off all Kimberley cruises this year.  This will be as a result of the WA border not opening, causing Coral a lot of grief.  Hopefully they will decide to continue, but perhaps with fewer sailings to maximise capacity. 

There is also a local company out of Geraldton that does the Abrolhos area only.  A good alternative if you don’t want to do the whole Broome to Perth trip.  They are very good. Our guest lecturer does both ships. 

59 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I recently saw another "no single supplement" on an small cruise ship, so keep your eyes open for specials.  My last cruises were "no single supplement".  Agree most solos couldn't afford to pay for a double for a solo.

In that case land travel is less expensive and better value like your rural car trips.  

Coral never discounts, but their solo supplement is only 50%.  My cancelled Cairns to Broome was just over $1,000 per day solo.  The Eco Abrolhos often advertises no solo supplement, although that might just be due to travel restrictions.  These trips are not suitable for people with bad mobility issues.  Having said that, in the Kimberley, affected passengers can do all the outings in the Xplorer (tenders) but not the bush walking bits.

Edited by Port Power