Captain's Club Benefits

5waldos

Since last I reviewed these, there is now for us lowly 89 pointers, reference to an upgrade to Aqua Class. Is this for real? Previously it was an upgrade within your booking class. And does anyone know what the details are other than 'when available'? 

5 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/new-images/Captain's Club Benefit Brochure_072821.pdf

I was rather surprised to see it and cannot find the * referenced.

I believe what that means is you get one category upgrade within the categories up to Aqua. In other words, it doesn’t apply to suites. 

I believe you are referring to the 1 category upgrade that has been a benefit for a long time.  It is a  within a cabin class eg Veranda, Concierge, Aqua, not between classes.  

The reference to Aqua is that is the highest category where upgrades are granted, this benefit does not apply to the Suite category.

As a example, If you are booking a Concierge C2  category you can get that at the price of the lower C3 category .  Book a Aqua 1 and pay the lower Aqua 2.   Same with Veranda class, Oceanview and Inside.  

Ah yes- it can certainly be read that way, and it makes more sense. Has the wording been changed? I don't remember it being as ambiguous last time I looked at it. If so, somebodies clarification is another's (my) misreading.

Edited by 5waldos

13 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

I still am surprised by the inclusion of a scoop of gelato as a benefit. Seriously? A scoop of gelato? How much do they charge for them onboard? 

I think a single scoop is around $4.50 or so... I remember seeing something like that on the receipt (with an associated credit to zero out the total) when I got my free scoop a few weeks ago.  Personally, I don't find the Al Bacio gelato to be significantly better than what is on the buffet, but there are more flavors to choose from.  Our favorite buffet ice cream flavor is cinnamon, but it never made an appearance on our last 11 day sailing...

Does anyone know what happens when you change levels in the middle of a cruise. Are you able to use the benefits associated with the higher level immediately or could you go to reception on the day you move up to change your status? Or is it based on a completed cruise period?

8 minutes ago, kroberst said:

Does anyone know what happens when you change levels in the middle of a cruise. Are you able to use the benefits associated with the higher level immediately or could you go to reception on the day you move up to change your status? Or is it based on a completed cruise period?

It is based on your last completed cruise.  See "Your Membership Status" under the Captains Club FAQ page: link

When we changed to Elite mid cruise in February 2020 which was our last cruise too the benefits were immediate.  We were invited to the Elite cocktail get together, had the free bag of laundry and were invited to afternoon tea in Blu.  You should receive notices in your stateroom. 

The benefits are definitely diluted with the advent of all inclusive.  However, there are still some perks, i.e. the laundry bag, and cabin upgrade.  Make sure you ask for the one category upgrade when booking directly with Celebrity.  Many new agents.  We booked today and reiterated the upgrade priority after the quote seemed off.  Saved $700 by being persistent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Kenobi said:

When we changed to Elite mid cruise in February 2020 which was our last cruise too the benefits were immediate.  We were invited to the Elite cocktail get together, had the free bag of laundry and were invited to afternoon tea in Blu.  You should receive notices in your stateroom. 

Celebrity is quite clear your tier is determined by the number of points at the beginning of a cruise and are awarded after the end of a completed cruise.  If you were upgraded mid-cruise it would be the first time I heard that happening.  We did a 2 week Alaska cruise with 299 points.  Asked and was told no for Elite till next cruise.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kroberst said:

If you stop to think about it, virtually everyone “changes tiers” partway through a cruise. It would be astonishing to get the exact right number of points on the last day of the previous cruise.  So that is why they only count completed Cruises. If a passenger was invited to an elite event before, it was at the discretion of the Captains Club host who was being kind, but that should not be considered a precedent

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

The benefits are definitely diluted with the advent of all inclusive.

The Captain’s Club host told us that there are some Premium drinks on the Happy Hour menu. This was on our Silhouette Staycation in 2021.

4CB9B2D4-F25C-4D87-954F-2EF249CA4519.thumb.jpeg.a430921a8c1f869a74ba199b69cd039d.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

If you stop to think about it, virtually everyone “changes tiers” partway through a cruise. It would be astonishing to get the exact right number of points on the last day of the previous cruise.  So that is why they only count completed Cruises. If a passenger was invited to an elite event before, it was at the discretion of the Captains Club host who was being kind, but that should not be considered a precedent

Well of course this makes perfect sense. When I counted up, we would 'turn' on the second to last day so I won't bother with this. Thank you!

21 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

The benefits are definitely diluted with the advent of all inclusive.  However, there are still some perks, i.e. the laundry bag, and cabin upgrade.  Make sure you ask for the one category upgrade when booking directly with Celebrity.  Many new agents.  We booked today and reiterated the upgrade priority after the quote seemed off.  Saved $700 by being persistent. 

When you don't have AI then the CC benefits/perks aren't diluted. 

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The category upgrade from A2 to A1 or similar in Veranda or Concierge is rarely more than $100pp, usually less.

But as we say in the UK, even $100 saving per person is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

• Like 5

There was a $600 difference from C3 to C2 on one of our last bookings.  However, on another one the C3 was priced higher than C2.  I don't like that Celebrity doesn't show the different category pricing on their website anymore.  You have to know your deck plans or use another site to see the designation.  

On 1/24/2022 at 7:49 PM, Ben Kenobi said:

This also happened on 1 of my cruises but we were granted the new benefits when we boarded.

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

True but then you had to have booked within 90 days or less of sail date AND the sail only had to be offered.  

Simply Sail rates are available considerably more than 90 days out. You can easily find and book several of these more than a year ahead of time. They may not be ideal but they are available.