Nexus -

Djsmrs

Just wondering if anyone has had an answer from the powers that be on this one.   My son's 2 year extension on his Nexus expires March 17, and because he's under 18 he needs to go to the interview and get a new photograph.   All the Canadian nexus offices are closed (so stupid), had an interview scheduled over the border for next week... of course the border has been closed again and they cancelled the appointment.   

So... here we are with the extension about to expire... border is closed (I'm not shelling out $400 for PCR tests to go get his photo taken in a 2 hour cross-border trip), and Cdn offices are closed.

I wonder if they'll extend the extension - or make everyone re-apply?   

Such a mess.   Even if they open the borders today - I booked a Feb appointment back in NOVEMBER... so I feel like we won't be able to get him in prior to the expiration.   ugh.

3 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

Just wondering if anyone has had an answer from the powers that be on this one.   My son's 2 year extension on his Nexus expires March 17, and because he's under 18 he needs to go to the interview and get a new photograph.   All the Canadian nexus offices are closed (so stupid), had an interview scheduled over the border for next week... of course the border has been closed again and they cancelled the appointment.   

So... here we are with the extension about to expire... border is closed (I'm not shelling out $400 for PCR tests to go get his photo taken in a 2 hour cross-border trip), and Cdn offices are closed.

I wonder if they'll extend the extension - or make everyone re-apply?   

Such a mess.   Even if they open the borders today - I booked a Feb appointment back in NOVEMBER... so I feel like we won't be able to get him in prior to the expiration.   ugh.

Good Q, have you called anyone?

Im sure they will extend, especially with the restrictions at the border...

We use Nexus and it comes up for renewal this Early Summer, and need to deal with it too...

I'm also waiting and waiting and waiting....

Even though the Trusted Traveller website indicates Nexus appointments can now be booked via on-line (Zoom) appointments, no appointments available at all, anywhere in Canada or the US for all of 2022! Will check again in a month or so just in case its a glitch, but so frustrated! 

• Like 1

Have tried to 

22 hours ago, Welly9 said:

Good Q, have you called anyone?

Im sure they will extend, especially with the restrictions at the border...

We use Nexus and it comes up for renewal this Early Summer, and need to deal with it too...

Have tried to call - can't get through to anyone - I'm sure they're completely overwhelmed with queries.   Oh well.. we'll just keep an eye on it I guess.    At least he's still a kid so the application is free 🙂

15 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

Have tried to 

Have tried to call - can't get through to anyone - I'm sure they're completely overwhelmed with queries.   Oh well.. we'll just keep an eye on it I guess.    At least he's still a kid so the application is free 🙂

I got a response from the Halifax office when I emailed last year to ask about appointments. 

I just decided to apply for Nexus and didn't realize I couldn't complete it because no interviews. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I got a response from the Halifax office when I emailed last year to ask about appointments. 

I just decided to apply for Nexus and didn't realize I couldn't complete it because no interviews. 

YES! We just applied as well and are patiently waiting for an interview. Hopefully we will hear they are opening up soon. I didn't know Zoom was an option. Nothing is available to book both Us and CAN all this year .

8 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

YES! We just applied as well and are patiently waiting for an interview. Hopefully we will hear they are opening up soon. I didn't know Zoom was an option. Nothing is available to book both Us and CAN all this year .

I can't find anywhere to get a Zoom option.  From what I gathered, they are for people renewing, not new applications. 
I applied back in September 😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truckswain said:

Yup no Online option for new applicants.  I have applied as well and have an appointment in July, which is crazy.

Still not clear on why they are not processing applications, makes not sense and the backlog is going to be ridiculous.  

Our applications were “ processed” quite quickly, which I was surprised by. It’s just the interview we will need to wait on. Curious, when did you apply to get a July interview? 

Edited by son3cruisers

I found this on the website:

•  
ALERTS ANDANNOUNCEMENTS
Given the Canadian Government's recent updated travel advisory for Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada, as well as the upcoming suspension of the short trip PCR test exemption, the CBSA will temporarily suspend NEXUS/FAST interviews at enrollment centers (EC) in the United States (U.S.) starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice. This will be re-evaluated as the border measures evolve.

Please consult the CBSA website frequently for all updates on the resumption of NEXUS/FAST interviews, log into your account to check the status of your interview, and schedule another one if required in the Trusted Traveler Programs portal.
Please do not hesitate to contact https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html if you have any questions.

Mine is a Nexus renewal, but I was "randomly selected" for validation interview. Ugh.

Hubby renewed at same time as me in spring of 2021. He received his new Nexus card about 6 months later. 

I emailed CBSA but never received a response about the lack of virtual appointments.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:19 PM, son3cruisers said:

Our applications were “ processed” quite quickly, which I was surprised by. It’s just the interview we will need to wait on. Curious, when did you apply to get a July interview? 

I cant recall the exact date but it was soon after Canada had dropped the requirement for a PCR test to return to Canada if the trip was less than 72 hours.  So I am thinking late summer, early fall?

I was very frustrated I had to make the appointment on the US side of the border as the CBSA continues to keep their offices closed to those needing Nexus. 

On 2/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, dawnvip said:

Mine is a Nexus renewal, but I was "randomly selected" for validation interview. Ugh.

Hubby renewed at same time as me in spring of 2021. He received his new Nexus card about 6 months later. 

I emailed CBSA but never received a response about the lack of virtual appointments.

Not sure who you emailed, but I called the office I would be going to.  No one answered but the voicemail did have an email address I could send to.  I got a response quickly.   This was back in October though. 

• Like 1

My renewal went smoothly, got my new card pretty fast without the need for a validation interview. Decided to apply for DW's first. It was conditionally approved pretty quickly, and the expiry date was set for 2 years. Hopefully the offices will be reopened before then. 😛

Edited by cdn_tbird

Funny enough, they've made the renewal for many people more difficult than the benefit the card provides lately.  Each time I've tried to use my card lately I've been demanded to produce my passport anyways (except for airport priority security which only seems to exist in YVR/YOW at the times I fly).    

• Like 1

My interview for a renewal was scheduled for Apr 15 2020 at Pearson.  Silly me went to their office at Pearson and found it closed in addition to the basically the entire airport save for few flights.  Anyhow, spoken to Nexus people many many times since that time. Each time, I was told to keep checking the site, and to choose a date in the future when the system opened up.  That did happen on two occasions, only be cancelled by Nexus each time.  Was told that no terminations of the cards will take place.  My next appointment is scheduled for end of March 2022.  Was able to create that appointment right after the border opened up in November.  

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

My NEXUS expired in Oct. and I need the interview this time. I did not the last time I renewed it . I get have have gotten 2 emails a stating that my card has been extended

My latest card expired in August 2020, so I re-applied that April. Conditionally approved pending the interview, but as at today still no appointments showing available anywhere within driving distance of Montreal, US or Canadian offices. I was under the impression, from past Emails that my current extension was only good for 24 months, so IOW my card would expire this April. Reading one of the last Emails I received, it does say "Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will retain membership privileges until they can complete their interview", which backs up what you said.  Thanks for reminding me to check.  Looks like I will be able to use the card for our upcoming April cruise after all.

As an aside, when we came back from a cruise in late November, there were massive lineups in the NEXUS lanes at Montreal airport, and virtually nobody using the "non-NEXUS" lanes.