Tipping Som/waiter on Wine from home

grandcanyondave

We have purchased the Princess Plus plan for a 15 day cruise. However we are bringing 4 bottles of special wine to enjoy with dinner. I know that we will pay 15 bucks per bottle corkage when we board. If we ask the waiter or som to open the bottle in the dining room, how much should we tip them?

1 hour ago, nini said:

Corkage fee is now $20.00 per bottle. These must be very special bottles to bring them onboard. You get one bottle per person that is no corkage fee.

We will be bringing on a case of assorted wines from our family winery to share with friends, and yes, not to boast, but they are pretty special wines...🥂

• Like 6

The $20 corkage fee they will charge you covers service fee or tip whatever you wish to call it. Nothing extra is expected and the waiter who serves your meal opens the wine no sommelier with a little tin cup around his neck anymore.

1 hour ago, nini said:

You get one bottle per person that is no corkage fee.

Consuming that fee free bottle in a public area such as in a dining room is subject to a $20 corkage fee.

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of one (1) bottle of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per Guest per Voyage may be presented to security during embarkation. A US $20.00 corkage fee will be charged should Guests wish to consumer their wine or champagne in the ship’s public areas.
  • A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 mL in volume or less) beyond the one-bottle per Guest per Voyage allowance. Limitations apply, and wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jwattle said:

We will be bringing on a case of assorted wines from our family winery to share with friends, and yes, not to boast, but they are pretty special wines...🥂

That’s a mike-drop comment, right there!

Can you say which family winery? Curious minds…..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandcanyondave said:

If we ask the waiter or XXX to open the bottle in the dining room, how much should we tip them?

Nothing.  PCL is tapping you for $20/bottle.  Now, if your waiter decides not to write you up one night and lets it go, then I would say a tip of perhaps $10 is in order.  They will have to open the bottle, unless it is a screw-top or you have pre-opened in your room.  Screw-tops attract the same corkage fee.

PS - There is no one to recommend wine, but they often list a couple on each night's menu to promote sales.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jwattle said:

Hi Jo & Tom,

Save one of those bottles of wine for you cruise on The Rowboat. 😁😁

Tony

• Like 2

13 hours ago, grandcanyondave said:

We have purchased the Princess Plus plan for a 15 day cruise. However we are bringing 4 bottles of special wine to enjoy with dinner. I know that we will pay 15 bucks per bottle corkage when we board. If we ask the waiter or som to open the bottle in the dining room, how much should we tip them?

The $20 corkage paid covers the service charge. Princess does not have sommeliers. The assistant waiter handles. Each adult may bring on 1 x 750ml bottle at no charge. It is for use in the cabin. If you bring that bottle to a DR or other public area you are subject to the corkage fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skynight said:

The $20 corkage paid covers the service charge. Princess does not have sommeliers. The assistant waiter handles. Each adult may bring on 1 x 750ml bottle at no charge. It is for use in the cabin. If you bring that bottle to a DR or other public area you are subject to the corkage fee.

Since there is no somm your wine will be opened by one of the dining room staff.  It may be your waiter, or it may be the room headwaiter.  Tip them as you would normally.

Often, If I have brought what I consider a distinctive wine, I will offer our waiter or the headwaiter a taste towards the end of our meal.  They seem to enjoy trying something different.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, jwattle said:

So I can bring a few bottles of wine on? as long as Im willing to pay 20?, which seems pretty reasonable for nice bottles. Thats nice you have a family winery and bring to enjoy with friends.

7 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

So I can bring a few bottles of wine on? as long as Im willing to pay 20?, which seems pretty reasonable for nice bottles. Thats nice you have a family winery and bring to enjoy with friends.

You are correct; the first bottle per person is free; after that it's $20 per bottle. It's a great way to an ice-breaker with new people at a table. We actually sold it a few years ago to the Boissette Group, but retained a minor financial and major emotional interest.🥂

2 hours ago, bowsertoo said:

Can I be put on the friends list

Absolutely! If you're at a table with us, we love sharing wine with new friends! 🥂

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

What if their winery is  Boone's Farm? 😉😉

I know that wine is subjective, but I'm hoping that Boone's Farm and ours are not anywhere near each other😊🥂

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jwattle said:
1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

What if their winery is  Boone's Farm? 😉😉

I know that wine is subjective, but I'm hoping that Boone's Farm and ours are not anywhere near each other😊🥂

really good chance than more than one of us on theses boards --- that our introduction to  wine was Boone's Farm in a red solo cup - possible in the back seat at the drive in ... Hey now !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, jwattle said:

We actually sold it a few years ago to the Boissette [sic] Group, but retained a minor financial and major emotional interest.🥂

Found it.  I have to say some very interesting wines offered.  I am unfamiliar with your winery, but, then again, it is one of thousands with which I have no familiarity.  I will keep an eye out to try one, someday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Found it.  I have to say some very interesting wines offered.  I am unfamiliar with your winery, but, then again, it is one of thousands with which I have no familiarity.  I will keep an eye out to try one, someday.

Wonderful! Hope to see you onboard with Mrs. XBGuy and share a bottle of the Sparkling Zinfandel 🥂

Edited by jwattle