Oh No - My passport is expired! Resorting to birth certificate...

Heading out on a cruise fro Port Canaveral in 30 days. I decided to start getting my paperwork together and just discovered that my passport is expired.  It did not even DAWN on my to look.  The rest on my family is good with their passports.  I doubt I can get a renewal in 30 days. I looked and found my birth certificate.  I have both a hospital AND an county one.  From  what I read below:

Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

...I should be good with my FL drivers license and County Birth Certificate.  By Birth certificate is really old original for 1976, will that be an issue?

7 minutes ago, thomaskuhn said:

Heading out on a cruise fro Port Canaveral in 30 days. I decided to start getting my paperwork together and just discovered that my passport is expired.  It did not even DAWN on my to look.  The rest on my family is good with their passports.  I doubt I can get a renewal in 30 days. I looked and found my birth certificate.  I have both a hospital AND an county one.  From  what I read below:

Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

...I should be good with my FL drivers license and County Birth Certificate.  By Birth certificate is really old original for 1976, will that be an issue?

Bring both just in case.  If you are going to get a new passport id order it now and maybe you get lucky.  If not, as long as you have the official copy from the government it should be fine.  Make sure it isn’t a photo copy.  

From what I’ve read you will have to wait for a customs agent when disembarking vs if you are at a port with the new facial recognition technology you would not.  That will probably make it slower that morning.   

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Bring both just in case.  If you are going to get a new passport id order it now and maybe you get lucky.  If not, as long as you have the official copy from the government it should be fine.  Make sure it isn’t a photo copy.  

From what I’ve read you will have to wait for a customs agent when disembarking vs if you are at a port with the new facial recognition technology you would not.  That will probably make it slower that morning.   

Just had a client that renewed passport, paid expedite fee and had passport back in 12 days.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, thomaskuhn said:

I have JUST ordered a new Birth Cert just to have a new copy.  Should be here in a few days.

You will be fine, but if you are

getting a new passport regardless, might as well try and hope you get it back soon.  No risk in trying since the old one is already expired.  

19 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Just had a client that renewed passport, paid expedite fee and had passport back in 12 days.

I wouldn’t pay expedited fees just for this because a BC will suffice.  But I’m sure that is useful info for anyone that feels they really want it or in fact must have it.  Twelve days is a pretty quick turn around. 

2 hours ago, topnole said:

46 is pretty old for a piece of paper.  Heck, when I was in school in the 80s

WWII seemed like ancient history even though it was only 40 years prior.  

That is because you are YOUNG.

My Dad, still living, had military service DURING WWII.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thomaskuhn said:

.  By Birth certificate is really old original for 1976, will that be an issue?

LOL.  My birth certificate is my original from 1960.  Done on a typewriter on blue paper with a raised seal and signed with a blue ink by the court clerk.  It's been accepted for everything I've ever needed it for.  LOL 1976 is old haha.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

I am also applying for a new passport.  Thanks for the hint of not using the expedited fee.  I will eventually need to use my passport in the future so might as well try.

Already got my new photo since first posting.  Wow it really shows how much weight I have lost.  Down 35 lbs.

Edited by thomaskuhn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SRF said:

That is because you are YOUNG.

My Dad, still living, had military service DURING WWII.

My grandfather passed just before Christmas, and when we went down for the funeral, we found his original flight records from WWII in his house. Going to work to have them preserved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are passport issuing offices that you can make an appointment to get in a day.  Recommend you look at State Department passport site (travel.state.gov) and look into this…or apply via mail for one.   I would pay for the expedited  service as each office has different turn around time based on workload, applications, etc.   

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

Damn, now I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the old fart in the crowd. 

Me, too! 😱😂 Maybe that’s because I AM really old! 🤣🤣🤣

What makes me feel better is that DH is six years older than me. That makes him really, really old! 😜😜🤪 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, poocher said:

And my family thinks I’m OCD because I start checking all of this at least 6 months in advance.

Shoot I have Suitcases and Clothes/supplies just for Cruises, they been always ready since 2009 even if not Cruising for a year. And yes my Ex called me Anal

• Like 2