Can we do self-assisted disembarkation to get off the ship as late as possible?

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

People on self assisted debark are requested to be the first off the ship so as not to clog the hallways with their luggage for everyone else trying to get off.

So while you can do this, its not right.

Huh? I always do self assisted and have never been asked to be the first one off. In fact, sometimes I wish I could be but have to wait for suite and status guests.

And why do you think my luggage would be in the hallway...it's with me...like kjenaz said above, in windjammer usually.

1 hour ago, kjenaz said:

Yes - As they wind down disembark you will be asked (encouraged) to leave the Windjammer or your room, but we just lazy around and have not caused any problems.

It may seem like, my friend, that you are not causing any problems, but for disembarking passengers who wait for the very last moment to disembark, there is an impact for both the ship and shoreside.

The ships need to achieve a Zero Count status which means that all passengers expected to depart have actually left the ship.  There are times that both ship security and a shoreside supervisor actually have knocked on a cabin door, or searched the ship's public areas looking for a wayward passenger or two.

Until that last passenger is walked off the ship, any shoreside personnel that works with the ships disembarking team will follow out that passenger.  There are about 15-20 shoreside staff that have to remain at their posts until the very last passenger leaves - at the gangway, at the elevators/escalators, in the luggage hall, even the longshore has to be present in the luggage hall until zero count.  There is staffing along the way, up to (for US Closed loop cruises) having the Custom and Border Protection Officers wait to look at the passports.  Finally, the terminal hall doors need to be closed behind these last passengers, and once the final passengers are directed to their ground transportation, then those outside shoreside workers can come back inside. At this point, there is probably 100 early arrival passengers waiting outside to start their embarkation process.  Until the disembarking ship reaches Zero Count, the embarking process for that day's sailing can not start.  Meanwhile, the shoreside staff are eating at quick lunch at about 10 am, and getting ready to attend the morning embarkation briefing/meeting.

So, please don't be that last person off the ship.  I know that you don't want it to end, but it does.  Just do the right thing and don't linger.

29 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It may seem like, my friend, that you are not causing any problems, but for disembarking passengers who wait for the very last moment to disembark, there is an impact for both the ship and shoreside.

The ships need to achieve a Zero Count status which means that all passengers expected to depart have actually left the ship.  There are times that both ship security and a shoreside supervisor actually have knocked on a cabin door, or searched the ship's public areas looking for a wayward passenger or two.

Until that last passenger is walked off the ship, any shoreside personnel that works with the ships disembarking team will follow out that passenger.  There are about 15-20 shoreside staff that have to remain at their posts until the very last passenger leaves - at the gangway, at the elevators/escalators, in the luggage hall, even the longshore has to be present in the luggage hall until zero count.  There is staffing along the way, up to (for US Closed loop cruises) having the Custom and Border Protection Officers wait to look at the passports.  Finally, the terminal hall doors need to be closed behind these last passengers, and once the final passengers are directed to their ground transportation, then those outside shoreside workers can come back inside. At this point, there is probably 100 early arrival passengers waiting outside to start their embarkation process.  Until the disembarking ship reaches Zero Count, the embarking process for that day's sailing can not start.  Meanwhile, the shoreside staff are eating at quick lunch at about 10 am, and getting ready to attend the morning embarkation briefing/meeting.

So, please don't be that last person off the ship.  I know that you don't want it to end, but it does.  Just do the right thing and don't linger.

By definition, someone has to be the last person off the ship

• Like 2

True, but there is a difference between the last individual in the final assigned disembarking group, and the individual who knowingly procrastinates getting off the ship.  

All along the disembarking process, shoreside staff knows how many passengers are still on board.  The goal. hope is to have an early Zero Count so there can be a quick turn-around for the passengers waiting to board that day's cruise.

We are always either 1st or last.  Always self assist.  Never had an issue.  We prefer not to stand in lines, tripping over suitcases, waiting on elevators and like to walk off at 830-9am to get our uber or transfer.  Also like late boarding to avoid lines and go right to our cabin.  We have done B2B and probably the latest we waited for all clear was 945.  I find that window between 730 and 830 is the worst.  Since post covid sailings, its been much quicker.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

True, but there is a difference between the last individual in the final assigned disembarking group, and the individual who knowingly procrastinates getting off the ship.  

All along the disembarking process, shoreside staff knows how many passengers are still on board.  The goal. hope is to have an early Zero Count so there can be a quick turn-around for the passengers waiting to board that day's cruise.

Yeah, but I don't even know how the convo got here. The OP wasn't trying to stay later than he should...just wanted to know if they could be in the last group getting off the ship.

The simple answer is YES. Not sure how this went the way of zero counts. No one will be affected by him doing that.

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

Yeah, but I don't even know how the convo got here. The OP wasn't trying to stay later than he should...just wanted to know if they could be in the last group getting off the ship.

The simple answer is YES. Not sure how this went the way of zero counts. No one will be affected by him doing that.

there's always that one person.  And believe me they will not let you stay on.  They get the brooms out and start sweeping you out.

23 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We are always either 1st or last.  Always self assist.  Never had an issue.  We prefer not to stand in lines, tripping over suitcases, waiting on elevators and like to walk off at 830-9am to get our uber or transfer.  Also like late boarding to avoid lines and go right to our cabin.  We have done B2B and probably the latest we waited for all clear was 945.  I find that window between 730 and 830 is the worst.  Since post covid sailings, its been much quicker.  

Exactly what we do.  Our last sailing in Jan. Our tags had us getting off at 745. 

We had breakfast in WJ and waited in our cabin till 830ish and walked off with no hassle or crowds that were there at 745.  

And we usually do check in for 1230/1 pm so we can board and go to our cabin, do muster video etc etc.  

• Like 1

With the covid procedure now with staying in your cabin with your luggage if you decide to keep it with you until your departure group is called this isn't a problem. There is NO gathering in assigned areas of the ship for departures any longer.

I know my cruise wasn't in Europe (San Pedro Ca) but the latest time to leave the ship was 9:30am. 

Bringing your luggage directly from the cabin to the elevators and wheeling it off yourself was not an issue.

OP you can just request the latest luggage tag either for self assist or the latest scheduled departure group..then just don't put your luggage out. No one is watching or really  seems to care.

My understanding is that the OP isn't trying to stay on the ship any longer than the last group of debarking passengers but just wants to keep their luggage with them in their cabin until they debark...that won't be a problem and more than likely other's will be doing the same.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

there's always that one person.  And believe me they will not let you stay on.  They get the brooms out and start sweeping you out.

Yeah, but this isn't what the OP is asking...so why are people bringing it up?

• Haha 1

Didn't intend to start a big discussion, or to get lectured.  OP Please feel comfortable to take your time.  We were a very late departure and there were still 50 pieces of luggage waiting and the line at Immigration was still about 15 minutes.  I understand the concern for the crew, but we left about 9:30 and we were far from the last off.  As someone else noted - Someone has to be last.

• Like 1