Main Dining Room Food Reviews?

We sailed on Anthem for 11 nights in January and we had some nice dinners in the MDR.    

We enjoyed their Barrumundi, Sole, Prime Rib is usually good unless you get a bad cut with gristle and the Rack of Lamb was better than Chops.    

We personally like the assortment of everything and anything at WJ for breakfast and lunch (most days).    I usually forget that MDR is open for lunch, especially since the hours are limited.

• Thanks 1

We've been on 3 Royal cruises and have never been to the MDR.  We've either done specialty or Coastal Kitchen or weren't very hungry and just grabbed a snack.  We are on Odyssey next month and will try MDR then.  I have a couple of questions.

The Chops upcharge steak....is it as good as in Chops?  Is it served hot and properly cooked?  I've had bad luck with upcharge steaks on another cruise line. 

Fish choices.....are they good quality and cooked properly?  I am picky about my fish because I grew up on the water and we ate fresh off the boat.

I know the MDR isn't 5 star, but just want to know what to expect.  I can skip the fish and plan a night at Chops instead of ordering a filet at the MDR.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I know the MDR isn't 5 star, but just want to know what to expect.  I can skip the fish and plan a night at Chops instead of ordering a filet at the MDR.   

Thats what I would do 🙂  Its been my limited experience that the upcharge steak in the MDR isnt as good as Chops and the fish dishes Ive tried arent very good at all.  For you, it would be like a New Englander trying to enjoy the included warm water MDR lobster tails. You're likely to be disappointed.  The best filet though may actually be at the Italian place believe it or not.  Ive seen that reported many times.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

We've been on 3 Royal cruises and have never been to the MDR.  We've either done specialty or Coastal Kitchen or weren't very hungry and just grabbed a snack.  We are on Odyssey next month and will try MDR then.  I have a couple of questions.

The Chops upcharge steak....is it as good as in Chops?  Is it served hot and properly cooked?  I've had bad luck with upcharge steaks on another cruise line. 

Fish choices.....are they good quality and cooked properly?  I am picky about my fish because I grew up on the water and we ate fresh off the boat.

I have ordered the chops filet in the MDR and it was overcooked one time and another time it was perfect and delicious.    I personally love the filet at Giovanni's.    I am not sure if Odyssey has the filet at their italian restaurant, you can check the menu on the app. 

I am picky about my fish too.    We had delicious Barrumundi and Sole in MDR on our last sailing.   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I think you mean Rusty Scupper restaurant.     They do have an wonderful Sunday brunch with a great view.     We like McCormick & Schmicks at Pier 5 Hotel too!    We have lots of favorites in Baltimore.

Rusty Scupper is 100% correct.   Been years but still remember the Sunday Brunch

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I didnt like the fish choices. 

I did surprisingly like the strip steak which I'd never ordered until last week. I went on nights I didnt like any entrees and ordered it and it came with the garlic butter and cooked perfectly. Surprised me. There are 2 things you can ask them to cook it in, one is the butter and they did that without me asking.

I never ordered the up charge steak .. though I like it, but havent had it in the Mdr.

• Thanks 1

Some of my meals s on the explorer last week.  
most all the food was amazing.   
the prime rib was amazing.  Pasta wasn’t bad.  
almost everything I had was so good.   
if you don’t like something. Just get something else. 
the lobster looked so good.  I don’t eat fish.   
also the shrimp looked good.  
crusted salmon too.     

784EA602-4BF1-4D2C-ADF9-61106A510E69.jpeg

23375158-FAD9-4381-B59E-4368ED59053A.jpeg

A8FEDEEB-8EE9-47E4-9CB3-66508A13850A.jpeg

A0AF55A0-2EB8-4A8C-BA95-6CF07C1F2B42.jpeg

9A461DE4-4323-4F4A-B1B6-F1BB51797B91.jpeg

F8C0C58D-833F-4918-B3CB-0C99A1F299F4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Speaking only for ourselves. We like the breakfasts, lunches and diners served in the MDR.  

My husband is so excited about this (our upcoming April) cruise he decided he will eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR and get dressed up for them. He bought an ascot, and recently showed off a nice new button down. I asked if it was for formal night, and he said, no, it is for breakfast. (He was serious). I told him that the family might not join him for all of these MDR meals and he said he doesn't care. I said that I really like Windjammer sometimes - wouldn't he miss it? And he said he'll use Windjammer for eating the other meals (i.e. breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper). 

Edited by jbrinkm
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Some of my meals s on the explorer last week.  
most all the food was amazing.   
the prime rib was amazing.  Pasta wasn’t bad.  
almost everything I had was so good.   
if you don’t like something. Just get something else. 
the lobster looked so good.  I don’t eat fish.   
also the shrimp looked good.  
crusted salmon too.     

784EA602-4BF1-4D2C-ADF9-61106A510E69.jpeg

23375158-FAD9-4381-B59E-4368ED59053A.jpeg

A8FEDEEB-8EE9-47E4-9CB3-66508A13850A.jpeg

A0AF55A0-2EB8-4A8C-BA95-6CF07C1F2B42.jpeg

9A461DE4-4323-4F4A-B1B6-F1BB51797B91.jpeg

F8C0C58D-833F-4918-B3CB-0C99A1F299F4.jpeg

Thank you for sharing photos! 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 3:03 AM, Sobro said:

MDR food is subjective and also depends on the kitchen. I've had the same dish that was good on one sailing and horrible on another. Just ask for Indian food at every dinner and you probably won't be disappointed. 

I have not requested Indian yet, but would love to try… one question- is it hot-spicy usually?  I love non-hot Indian food!

3 minutes ago, PaddleAddict said:

Thank you for sharing photos! 

I thought I would since no one else did.   
a few I forgot to take pics of. As I already started eating Lolol. 
they had a beef stroganoff that was terrible.    And I had the New York steak that was raw.     But everyone one elses was great. So.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. Don’t forget the kids menus Lolol.  
i had an awesome tomato soup for appetizer and wish I knew about the kids menu had a grill cheese I would have gotten one to go with my soup.  Lolol. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scootersdad said:

PreCovid  cruise my waiter and head waiter both admitted some of the food is prepared by a restaurant supply house and warmed up on ship.  Not prepared from scratch.  

Watch for Sysco truck while boarding or disembarking.

If you are under the impression Sysco only sells pre cooked/prepared foods you are mistaken.  I did not cook for a living but I did process invoices for several years.  They sell plenty of uncooked proteins and other ingredients as well as paper, plastic and cleaning items used by restaurants.

10 hours ago, scootersdad said:

PreCovid  cruise my waiter and head waiter both admitted some of the food is prepared by a restaurant supply house and warmed up on ship.  Not prepared from scratch.  

Watch for Sysco truck while boarding or disembarking.

If you are under the impression Sysco only sells pre cooked/prepared foods you are mistaken.  I did not cook for a living but I did process invoices for several years.  They sell plenty of uncooked proteins and other ingredients as well as paper, plastic and cleaning items used by restaurants.

• Like 1

My 10 yo found spaghetti bolognese inedible, and I agree with him. We've had better tasting Hamburger Helper pastas. Pasta with marinara sauce was a bit better.

He also rejected the kid's menu chicken nuggets. They were extra fancy with seeds on them, and he doesn't do that. For comparison - he likes all the fast food nuggets (from Wendy's to Chick-Fil-a) and Longhorn's chicken fingers. 

If you need to see them, I have pics in my review in my signature (Harmony cruise).

He also disliked the pepperoni pizza from the kid's menu in MDR while Sorento's pep pizza is his favorite.

We usually give him a choice of whatever the heck he wants for breakfast and lunch at WJ, but I order dinner for him in MDR. I usually order a fruit salad, some steamed veggies, maybe, an appetizer that I think would appeal to an average, non-adventurous 10 yo diner, and a dessert. He is agreeable to trying things because he knows we are not going to make him eat something he dislikes. DS has been cruising since he was 3 and the best way to keep a little kid quiet and calm at an MDR table for a couple of hours is a tablet with games/cartoons and headphones. Works like a charm.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dahirsh said:

Never Said That, did I   ????????????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scootersdad said:

Never Said That, did I   ????????????

you implied it by typing

"some of the food is prepared by a restaurant supply house and warmed up on ship.  Not prepared from scratch.  

Watch for Sysco truck while boarding or disembarking."

might not be what you meant, but that's how it reads.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Oh yeah. Don’t forget the kids menus Lolol.  
i had an awesome tomato soup for appetizer and wish I knew about the kids menu had a grill cheese I would have gotten one to go with my soup.  Lolol. 

I like the Mac n Cheese from the kids menu. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

For our anthem cruise from the uk last Aug we found the MDR food average and repetitive. Its ok if you liked fish but for us and our 8 year old it was average. Always prefer the windjammer. 

But everyone has different tastes and dining packages.

We gave up on MDR even before covid. Windjammer usually has the dishes being featured in the MDR but you can try as many entrees as you wish. Simpler, easier and time-saving.

36 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I like the Mac n Cheese from the kids menu. 

with lobster...maybe this won't be to controversial from all who want an total agreement post of how they have been wronged 😁🦞

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

My husband is so excited about this (our upcoming April) cruise he decided he will eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR and get dressed up for them. He bought an ascot, and recently showed off a nice new button down. I asked if it was for formal night, and he said, no, it is for breakfast. (He was serious). I told him that the family might not join him for all of these MDR meals and he said he doesn't care. I said that I really like Windjammer sometimes - wouldn't he miss it? And he said he'll use Windjammer for eating the other meals (i.e. breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper). 

Is your husband a hobbit? 🙂

• Haha 2