Unlimited Dining Package

Ciref

I am trying to decide if my wife and I should sign up fo the Unlimited Dining Package on our upcoing Oasis OTS cruise.  The cruise has three sea days.  I reviewed what I could find online and have the following questions?

Are Vintages and sushi at Izumi the only a la carte restaurants? 

Can you have a reasonable dinner at the a la carte restaurants excluding beverages?

Does the $10 surcharge at Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi mean that the total cost of a meal excluding beverages with the UDP is $10?

Are the full cost of dinner excluding beverages at Giovanni's Table, 150 Central Park & Chops included in the UDP?

What is the deal with Johnny Rockets on the UDP?

Thank you.

Eric

20 minutes ago, Ciref said:

I am trying to decide if my wife and I should sign up fo the Unlimited Dining Package on our upcoing Oasis OTS cruise.  The cruise has three sea days.  I reviewed what I could find online and have the following questions?

Are Vintages and sushi at Izumi the only a la carte restaurants? 

Can you have a reasonable dinner at the a la carte restaurants excluding beverages?

Does the $10 surcharge at Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi mean that the total cost of a meal excluding beverages with the UDP is $10?

Are the full cost of dinner excluding beverages at Giovanni's Table, 150 Central Park & Chops included in the UDP?

What is the deal with Johnny Rockets on the UDP?

Thank you.

Eric

So vintages is the only one that is truly not included.  The hibachi yes will be a $10 up charge but in all honesty I have found it 50/50 if they even charge you but no specialty dining includes soda or alcoholic drinks.  Johnny rockets, Giovanni’s table, 150 Central Park, chops, port side bbq, izumi sushi, and playmakers are all included.  There is a secret to restaurants that are a la cart which is they give you like $30- $35 per person.  Now if you are going to go over that budget which for a couple is $60-$70 all you have to do is close out your tab and start a new tab.  I have done this multiple times with Izumi as I can put away a lot of sushi.  The a la cart places are Izumi, playmakers, and port side bbq.  I highly recommend the UDP if you want better quality food than MDR.  I’ve never once felt like I didn’t get my money worth.  The chicken sandwich y playmakers hits the spot and the sushi is amazing if you are a sushi person.  So the deal with Johnny rockets with the UDP it’s covered and you can order all you want if I remember correct the milkshakes are included as well s

which is the only place that includes the drink like that but I may be wrong as I always have a deluxe drink package.  Johnny rockets is also a great place to get breakfast and is included regardless if you get package or not.

• Like 2

We will be on Oasis 9 days in August. I kept going back and forth between the UDP and the 3 day specialty restaurant one. Ended up buying the 3 day specialty restaurant on a good sale. Windjammer is always open, Café Promenade, Sorrentos and El Loco Fresh will be our go to places for lunches and snacks and no extra charge for these.

If you have the deluxe drink package the Johnny Rocket milk shakes are included.

9 hours ago, smokeykat said:

We will be on Oasis 9 days in August. I kept going back and forth between the UDP and the 3 day specialty restaurant one. Ended up buying the 3 day specialty restaurant on a good sale. Windjammer is always open, Café Promenade, Sorrentos and El Loco Fresh will be our go to places for lunches and snacks and no extra charge for these.

If you have the deluxe drink package the Johnny Rocket milk shakes are included.

Don't forget Park Cafe too. I rotate between El Loco Fresh and Park Cafe on the ship. 

22 hours ago, CruisingRealtor2018 said:

So vintages is the only one that is truly not included.  The hibachi yes will be a $10 up charge but in all honesty I have found it 50/50 if they even charge you but no specialty dining includes soda or alcoholic drinks.  Johnny rockets, Giovanni’s table, 150 Central Park, chops, port side bbq, izumi sushi, and playmakers are all included.  There is a secret to restaurants that are a la cart which is they give you like $30- $35 per person.  Now if you are going to go over that budget which for a couple is $60-$70 all you have to do is close out your tab and start a new tab.  I have done this multiple times with Izumi as I can put away a lot of sushi.  The a la cart places are Izumi, playmakers, and port side bbq.  I highly recommend the UDP if you want better quality food than MDR.  I’ve never once felt like I didn’t get my money worth.  The chicken sandwich y playmakers hits the spot and the sushi is amazing if you are a sushi person.  So the deal with Johnny rockets with the UDP it’s covered and you can order all you want if I remember correct the milkshakes are included as well s

which is the only place that includes the drink like that but I may be wrong as I always have a deluxe drink package.  Johnny rockets is also a great place to get breakfast and is included regardless if you get package or not.

On the Navigator Izumi's dropped the $35 "credit", and just has the passenger select one item from the appetizer/starter column of the menu, 2 from the "mains", and 1 dessert.  Makes it a lot easier, and you don't figure out cost:  UDP entitles you to the 1/2/1 choices.  I liked it a lot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smokeykat said:

Johnny Rockets milkshakes are also included with the UDP.

• 1 month later...

I typically get the UDP but the last couple of times availability wasn't good for Chops, which is really the only one of the specialty places that I like.  UDP doesn't seem to guarantee that you can get a table at ANY of the restaurants for a given night - I had two nights on one cruise where none of them were available at any time according to the reservations system.  What I did was to simply walk up and ask if they could fit me in and in both cases they seemed happy to do it, with no waiting.  You really ought to be able to confirm all your UDP times/places before agreeing to pay for it.  

• Like 3

We had issues getting reservations in chops on allure , this was4 months ago , place was almost empty and they said they could not seat us at lunch. Later that evening a ships officer was asking how we liked our cruise so far and I mentioned the problem at chops , he then called the chops manager,they were extremely apologetic the next day at lunch and during another visit

UDP is really almost unlimited. I don't think you can use it at Vintages but it covers the other restaurants. As someone else mentioned if you are in an ala carte restaurant just close your tab. We were on Harmony in December and I ordered a Futomaki roll to go on 3 nights. I even ordered one as an appetizer while at hibachi without charge. I don't think milkshakes from JR's included with UDP but are included beverage package.

Read the fine print. I really tells you what it covers and does not cover.

12 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

UDP is really almost unlimited. I don't think you can use it at Vintages but it covers the other restaurants. As someone else mentioned if you are in an ala carte restaurant just close your tab. We were on Harmony in December and I ordered a Futomaki roll to go on 3 nights. I even ordered one as an appetizer while at hibachi without charge. I don't think milkshakes from JR's included with UDP but are included beverage package.

Read the fine print. I really tells you what it covers and does not cover.

Ha!   You mention a couple of items not mentioned in the fine print.  Can someone post the "terms and conditions" type fine print?  Something that includes a statement such "this in included and if it is not in the included list it is excluded"  or "this is excluded and if it is not in the list of exclusion it is included".

What is "guaranteed" when you purchase the plan? What if you can't get a reservation on any night, at any time, in any "specialty"??

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Ha!   You mention a couple of items not mentioned in the fine print.  Can someone post the "terms and conditions" type fine print?  Something that includes a statement such "this in included and if it is not in the included list it is excluded"  or "this is excluded and if it is not in the list of exclusion it is included".

What is "guaranteed" when you purchase the plan? What if you can't get a reservation on any night, at any time, in any "specialty"??

Here is a copy and paste from Royal's website:

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit, with the exception of Port Side BBQ and Playmakers which will be $20.
  • Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, which will be charged onboard.

Important details and advisements

• Not valid for premium experiences including: Chef's Table, Wine Pairings Dinners, Taste of Royal, Mystery Dinner Theater and Holiday Celebration Dinners.

4 hours ago, DerekB said:

Here is a copy and paste from Royal's website:

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit, with the exception of Port Side BBQ and Playmakers which will be $20.
  • Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, which will be charged onboard.

Important details and advisements

• Not valid for premium experiences including: Chef's Table, Wine Pairings Dinners, Taste of Royal, Mystery Dinner Theater and Holiday Celebration Dinners.

Thank you.  That is what I have seen but that is not really terms and conditons type words.

Many questions will remain.

So is Paymakers a Specialty dining restaurant?   Is the Pub?  Is Vintages? Johnny Rockets?  Lunch on sea days ONLY?

If we go by this, are we guaranteed every night of speciatly and every port day of lunch in specialty?

Too many details left out.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thank you.  That is what I have seen but that is not really terms and conditons type words.

So is Paymakers a Specialty dining restaurant?   Is the Pub?  Is Vintages? Johnny Rockets?  Lunch on sea days ONLY?

If we go by this, are we guaranteed every night of speciatly and every port day of lunch in specialty?

Playmakers yes, $20 credit pp. If you need to eat more they will just ring you out and start a new tab. The Pub, usually not, a few have reported sometimes ok. Vintages and Bamboo room small plates are usually no but some say sometimes. Every night yes, every sea day yes. Port day is hit or miss. Chef's table a no.

From my upcoming cruiseplanner. 

Overview

Savor the savings with the Unlimited Dining Package. For one low price, you can enjoy multiple entrees and visit multiple specialty restaurants every night of your sailing. And as an added perk, this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days. A courtesy reservation will be made for Day 1 or 2 of your sailing. Please see Important Details and Advisements for more information.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Playmakers yes, $20 credit pp. If you need to eat more they will just ring you out and start a new tab. The Pub, usually not, a few have reported sometimes ok. Vintages and Bamboo room small plates are usually no but some say sometimes. Every night yes, every sea day yes. Port day is hit or miss. Chef's table a no.

From my upcoming cruiseplanner. 

Overview

Savor the savings with the Unlimited Dining Package. For one low price, you can enjoy multiple entrees and visit multiple specialty restaurants every night of your sailing. And as an added perk, this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days. A courtesy reservation will be made for Day 1 or 2 of your sailing. Please see Important Details and Advisements for more information.

Your post is exactly what is trying to be avoided. Vintages and the pub, as well as any other venue, should be included or not included - not "sometiems" or whatever the whim of the crew is that day. You purchase something you should know what you're getting. 

Imagine if you purchased the ultimate beverage package show up at the bar and find out "oh this is the Schooner Bar, it isn't included." It's absolutely stupidly insane that there isn't a certain answer on this question. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Imagine if you purchased the ultimate beverage package show up at the bar and find out "oh this is the Schooner Bar, it isn't included." It's absolutely stupidly insane that there isn't a certain answer on this question. 

it is already absolutely stupid that some venues have an additional surcharge if you want to go there like the hibachi . it sucks paying for the package plus the surcharge

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it is already absolutely stupid that some venues have an additional surcharge if you want to go there like the hibachi . it sucks paying for the package plus the surcharge

I can deal with the surchage because it is clearly announced in advance. Randomly saying a venue is/isn't included is next level. I say random because if it was consistant we would see that here - but we don't. Some people on some ships on some sailings get some venues included, and others do not. That is not normal. 

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

It is one venue that has a surcharge, not some but I do agree that it's not right especially since there care other specialty restaurants with a higher cost than Hibachi. 

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It is one venue that has a surcharge, not some but I do agree that it's not right especially since there care other specialty restaurants with a higher cost than Hibachi. 

I think that Hibachi is an issue of supply and demand,  no?  There are VERY limited spaces at the tables each night.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Anyone tried to order the items on the MDR menu that have an extra charge using the UDP?  Thanks to everyone for sharing experiences and concerns.

23 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Anyone tried to order the items on the MDR menu that have an extra charge using the UDP?  Thanks to everyone for sharing experiences and concerns.

Not exactly the same but we ordered lobster in Chops while dining there using UDP and were charged the same upcharge as everyone else, as expected. 

Which brings up a question. We added a 20% tip on top of that amount. As the week went on and we were presented with the zero dollar receipts to sign, I had the feeling additional gratuities were expected. I don't like to stiff people, but it said gratuities were included. 

Contrast that with using the diamond vouchers for drinks where I was never given a check to sign and always tipped $2 cash because it seemed wrong not to.

I created a short 5 min video about the ins and outs of the UDP. I also have a longer recap of my use of the UDP on Allure of the Seas to be published tomorrow. Feel free to subscribe to my new channel so you get the notification when that video goes live. (Just putting on the final touches on that video.) I'm new to the content production world on YouTube. I have only been at it for one month, but it looks like the channel is getting traction in that short time, with over 8000 views of my videos, and quickly approaching my first 100 subscribers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that Hibachi is an issue of supply and demand,  no?  There are VERY limited spaces at the tables each night.

It wasn’t that crowded on our allure cruise a few months ago , went a couple of times , there was plenty of seats empty, but in past it was a issue on our cruises , definitely thought it was worth the extra ten .