Azura Standard

wowzz

There have some comnents on Megabear"s post about Med cruises, that suggest that Azura is showing sign of wear. Similar comments are also posted in other media forums. 

We have a three week repo cruise on her next March, albeit at a great price, but we are getting a little concerned about her condition.

Should we be worried?  

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

There have some comnents on Megabear"s post about Med cruises, that suggest that Azura is showing sign of wear. Similar comments are also posted in other media forums. 

We have a three week repo cruise on her next March, albeit at a great price, but we are getting a little concerned about her condition.

Should we be worried?  

You're not a worrier, wowzz - so no.  It's some time (early 2019) since we were last on Azura, and we both felt it was in need of a refit, though.  Maybe since then it's had one?

We had a suite and frankly I expected better but had it been a hotel, everything in it would have long since been replaced, hence the comment about a refit.

Others may feel differently, though.  It didn't ruin the cruise by any means, but it took the edge off it.  By now I'd hope they've sorted out the sewage smell too!!!

Azura has had a refit and we were on the first cruise out of Barbados after it. Lots of new carpets, and furniture in the buffet. Not sure about the carpets in cabins whether they had been replaced but they were OK but TVs in cabins are very small and out of the ark.

Ventura and Azura are 14 and 12 years old so maybe they should be getting a major refurbishment of all the passenger areas,  both public and cabins. I suggest more than £50 million per ship should do the job.

For me I like least that the 'Crows  Nest' is at the wrong end of the ship and they need more variety of restaurants.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Ventura and Azura are 14 and 12 years old so maybe they should be getting a major refurbishment of all the passenger areas,  both public and cabins. I suggest more than £50 million per ship should do the job.

For me I like least that the 'Crows  Nest' is at the wrong end of the ship and they need more variety of restaurants.

They won't be relocating the 'crows nest' type bar, anytime soon! 

Azura did have a refit before coming back into service. Yes, no improvement to the TVs but the ship should look a lot better.

I'm sure many of us have worked in subsidiary companies,  where you have to "bid" for cap-ex from the corporate  "pot".

I have the feeling that Carnival have decided that they will sweat the assets with regards to Ventura and Azura.  Keep them both sailing for another 3 or 4 years with minimal expenditure, and then sell them off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

They won't be relocating the 'crows nest' type bar, anytime soon! 

Azura did have a refit before coming back into service. Yes, no improvement to the TVs but the ship should look a lot better.

Thanks for the response,  but the comments from many pax cruising currently indicates that a few new carpets and curtains is not sufficient.

I get the feeling that P&O is doing the absolute minimum to keep these two old ships up to an acceptable standard,  hoping that their passengers won't realise how inferior they are compared to other ships within the Carnival stable,  let alone elsewhere.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for the response,  but the comments from many pax cruising currently indicates that a few new carpets and curtains is not sufficient.

I get the feeling that P&O is doing the absolute minimum to keep these two old ships up to an acceptable standard,  hoping that their passengers won't realise how inferior they are compared to other ships within the Carnival stable,  let alone elsewhere.

So what do passengers want? Perhaps you could identify specifics.

A lot of passenger research is done in planning refurbs.

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Well, big flat screen tv's in the cabins with better programme options, medallion style interface everywhere, refurbished bathrooms, and updated dining options for starters. 

I'm sure a lot of planning goes into refurbs. Perhaps the issue is that P&O base refurbs on the fact that 99% of their passengers are British, and, understandably look to satisfy that market  - however, many of us prefer a more cosmopolitan approach, which is where P&O is lacking. 

But, in the scale of things,  as long as P&O hit their numbers, those of us who would like P&O to be a little bit more  edgy are of little importance.  

• Like 1

If they were to ask me ….

Don’t care about the TVs as I don’t watch TV on holiday, apart from the news now and then.

Don’t care about medallions etc.

Not particularly bothered about dining options.

Better bathrooms would however be nice. I quite like Ventura and Azura and would happily cruise on them again, 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, big flat screen tv's in the cabins with better programme options, medallion style interface everywhere, refurbished bathrooms, and updated dining options for starters. 

I'm sure a lot of planning goes into refurbs. Perhaps the issue is that P&O base refurbs on the fact that 99% of their passengers are British, and, understandably look to satisfy that market  - however, many of us prefer a more cosmopolitan approach, which is where P&O is lacking. 

But, in the scale of things,  as long as P&O hit their numbers, those of us who would like P&O to be a little bit more  edgy are of little importance.  

I tend to agree. Replacing carpets and curtains, which seem to be the major part of any P&O refurb, don’t constitute a refit in my book. The TV’s on some ships are, as somebody else said, out of the ark. When we have been on Britannia, on evenings when none of the entertainment appealed, we sometimes went back to our suite and watched an on demand film before going to bed. I also like to have the news on when there’s a big story unfolding. The TV’s on the older ships are almost unwatchable as they are so tiny, the picture quality is so poor and the choice of viewing is rubbish. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Maybe the British 'mustn't grumble' attitude applies 😉

Can someone remind me, do Azura/Ventura standard balcony cabins have doors or curtains on their showers?

The furniture in the rooms is somewhat wanting for love. Even on Britannia which is my favourite  P&O ship it suffers drawer malfunctions, scratches and broken cupboards.  A personal bug bear of mine is when the livery change occurs on the bow and the old one is barely hidden and showing through a somewhat thin white paint job.  Britannia was suffering from this at Christmas. It's not a game changer or affects the passenger but it does give an impression that no one really cares.  General tidy appearance costs little but gives an impression that the ship is well cared for and maintained.

I personally have always liked Azura but having read the comments from recent travellers on her I'm very sad.  P&O history has previously seemed to show that the ship sent to carry out European fly cruises is sent to be out of sight and out of mind and then becomes totally out of favour with management before becoming superfluous and replaceable.

Edited by Megabear2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Problem is if you start to get edgy as you put it can you imagine the outcry there would be on here, as for the ships we have been on not a lot to complain about, they meet our criteria of good food good entertainment and a good night's sleep.

33 minutes ago, Plugtheleak said:

We were on Ventura for New Year and stayed in a Standard Balcony cabin. Shower had a curtain, not easy for them to convert to door without significant cost.

I dont want life to be easy for P&O and it's staff, I want them to go out of their way to make my holiday special, and while some people dont care about TVs we do, we want to keep up to date on sport and the news, and watch a film if that's what we fancy.

9 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Personally, I’d like a ship devoid of those smells of sewage that plagued Azura for months, or was it years?  Has it now been dealt with?

I’d also like suites with comfortable furnishings that aren’t worn out and uncomfortable to sit on, bathrooms that don’t smell unpleasant, and a constant supply of hot water.

These were all failings on our last Azura trip, and from what I’ve read I’m not sure the refit has addressed them.

Saga do now seem to be much keener on good, comfortable ships than P&O, and quite a few here have already switched or are planning to do so.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Personally, I’d like a ship devoid of those smells of sewage that plagued Azura for months, or was it years?  Has it now been dealt with?

I’d also like suites with comfortable furnishings that aren’t worn out and uncomfortable to sit on, bathrooms that don’t smell unpleasant, and a constant supply of hot water.

These were all failings on our last Azura trip, and from what I’ve read I’m not sure the refit has addressed them.

Saga do now seem to be much keener on good, comfortable ships than P&O, and quite a few here have already switched or are planning to do so.

Must be terrible to plan a cruise with p&o with all the problems you mentioned, personally I wouldn't  do it like you say most are switching to other cruise lines.

16 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

like you say most are switching to other cruise lines

I'm afraid I just did and am feeling a little guilty and disloyal.  In fairness not just based on P&O's product but also on pricing and clarification of the Covid rules.  My June fly cruise pricing was as follows:

P&O superior deluxe is £3398 for two

Regal Princess £2480 with the package in deluxe but flights are £598 extra

Celebrity Edge is £3438 but includes flights, transfers and upgrade to premium drinks

Wonder of the Seas is £3980 for Ocean facing balcony or £3480 for Central Park View

After listening to fellow cruisers opinions I've gone for Celebrity.

My go to cruise line for a more luxurious trip has always been Cunard and it will be interesting to compare Celebrity with its traditional equivalent. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Edited by Megabear2

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm afraid I just did and am feeling a little guilty and disloyal.  In fairness not just based on P&O's product but also on pricing and clarification of the Covid rules.  My June fly cruise pricing was as follows:

P&O superior deluxe is £3398 for two

Regal Princess £2480 with the package in deluxe but flights are £598 extra

Celebrity Edge is £3438 but includes flights, transfers and upgrade to premium drinks

Wonder of the Seas is £3980 for Ocean facing balcony or £3480 for Central Park View

After listening to fellow cruisers opinions I've gone for Celebrity.

My go to cruise line for a more luxurious trip has always been Cunard and it will be interesting to compare Celebrity with its traditional equivalent. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Same itinerary ?

The itinerary wasn't identical on any of them so not really relevant. Was looking for a port intensive itinerary taking in some of the European "must sees" for my culture vulture friend and a bit of R&R for me.  We would have achieved that with any of the itineraries which is why they were selected.

We also didn't realise we had another benefit from Celebrity for booking with the premium drinks package.  It was a shock to look at our confirmation and see a very large OBC of US$600!  We sail from Rome to Barcelona and have been able to move our free flight back to allow us to purchase separately 3 nights in a 4* Rome hotel for only £450. The OBC bonus we weren't aware of means that's more or less a freebie as well!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

I'm one of those people who doesn't go on holiday/cruise to watch TV.  However...having been on Iona and experienced the better offering in the TV department on board, I think upgrading the TVs to that standard ought to be included in future refits, including improving the overall channels and content experience.

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I'm one of those people who doesn't go on holiday/cruise to watch TV.  However...having been on Iona and experienced the better offering in the TV department on board, I think upgrading the TVs to that standard ought to be included in future refits, including improving the overall channels and content experience.

We just catch up on the news really don't go on holiday to watch tv

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The itinerary wasn't identical on any of them so not really relevant. Was looking for a port intensive itinerary taking in some of the European "must sees" for my culture vulture friend and a bit of R&R for me.  We would have achieved that with any of the itineraries which is why they were selected.

We also didn't realise we had another benefit from Celebrity for booking with the premium drinks package.  It was a shock to look at our confirmation and see a very large OBC of US$600!  We sail from Rome to Barcelona and have been able to move our free flight back to allow us to purchase separately 3 nights in a 4* Rome hotel for only £450. The OBC bonus we weren't aware of means that's more or less a freebie as well!

Well done but  we are not tied to any cruise line currently got 3 booked next year and another TA this year, Marella Princess and p&o, we have already tried two companies princess will be a first for us.