Are the ships sailing full yet??

jkneern

Hope not, but I think they are not-so-slowly increasing capacity, from what I have read here on threads.  We were on Freedom 1/23, and yes - they were at 45% capacity.  Sailing on Horizon this Sunday - heard numbers were waaay above 45% for past sailing.

The Breeze Sail-A-Bration cruise is said to be at 90% right now- that's probably 90% of double occupancy, not max occupancy but still pretty full. It's a special event cruise though at the start of Spring Break season so it's to be expected. On NYE the Vista was 60% of max occupancy. 

1 minute ago, jerseyjjs said:

Ugh!!

Curiously enough, there are always chairs available on Lido and all food lines move super quick. I did notice people complaining about wait times for dining room last night for first formal night. Mostly those who wanted to be in the main dining room as opposed to the other options. 

I saw a report on another site from someone on the Glory who said it appeared to be near maximum capacity and was the most people they had seen on a ship since 2019. With Spring Breaks coming up and the mask requirements relaxed, I expect passenger counts to be up.

I thought CDC and revised Cruise Lines Association (?) were still recommending and ships complying with 95% vaccinated.  With most of the unvaccinated being children traveling with families. And they must have PCR tests.  If that results in near capacity, so be it.  Good for the cruise lines.  As far as the rest of us, want a less crowded ship, don't book a major carrier.

• Like 1

I don't think they are purposefully limiting capacity as much as they were. Some sailings are naturally still sailing with a lower capacity because bookings have been down. But I'd expect that to change quick.

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Snooze you lose.  Our 8/7 sailing was 3,400 and our 1/22 sailing a little over 4,000

I sailed the Oasis of the Seas in Sept with only 1,773 and in October with only 2,160 onboard.  It was awesome.  No "losing" on either of those sailings.

Edited by jerseyjjs
  • Like 1

Carnival has been far more aggressive on pricing lately, and we’re headed into school breaks (midwinter breaks at grade schools, followed by college spring break, followed by grade school spring break), so it’s logical to assume that ships will be fuller going forward…

I just got off Radiance today, unofficially I heard we were at 80% capacity.  

While at guest services I overheard them telling people they were really overwhelmed, they'd jumped up in capacity all of a sudden and did not seem to be staffed for it (based on the super long line at Guest Services at all days/hours).  

Well, this week is mid winter recess up here in the Northeast (not sure about other areas).  I know a few families that are on a cruise right now.  Seems that the cruiselines have lifted the capacity restriction and it's open season again!!  Let's hope this didn't happen too soon.  We were booked (but canceled) on the Breakaway in January, many people took advantage of the last minute ability to cancel and I heard that the ship had less than 1000 passengers (that's like 25%).  Glad we canceled, in the weeks following her return, I read story after story of passengers testing positive for covid (on the fb group specific to this sailing)....So glad this is almost over!!!  

On 2/21/2022 at 7:30 AM, crewsweeper said:

I thought CDC and revised Cruise Lines Association (?) were still recommending and ships complying with 95% vaccinated.  With most of the unvaccinated being children traveling with families. And they must have PCR tests.  If that results in near capacity, so be it.  Good for the cruise lines.  As far as the rest of us, want a less crowded ship, don't book a major carrier.

I believe one of the March 1st changes includes removing the children ineligible for the vaccine (below 5) from that 5% count total.  Now they are to allow other non-vaccinated people to sail within that 5%.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:53 AM, csj092809 said:

Curiously enough, there are always chairs available on Lido and all food lines move super quick. I did notice people complaining about wait times for dining room last night for first formal night. Mostly those who wanted to be in the main dining room as opposed to the other options. 

Most probably did not notice that YTD started a half hour early on the first elegant night at 500 instead of the normal 530.  This happened on Feb 6 as well as Feb 14 on our B2B.  People need to be flexible, but those that want to eat between 615-715 can sometimes have a long wait.  But the check in with the app system is certainly better than having a beeper or just waiting in a long line like it used to be.

8 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Mardi Gras just keeps increasing week by week.  Two weeks ago we sailed at 4700.  Last week we sailed at 5000 and now they're at 5200.  That's 89%, 95% and 98% @ double occupancy.

We were on the MG on September 4 and absolutely loved it, thought it was our best cruise ever.  We went again on February 5 with occupancy of 5462 and it was not a great cruise.  A totally different experience, and don’t think we will try again.  Apparently we were spoiled by six cruises at lower occupancy and not prepared for a “normal” cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We were on the MG on September 4 and absolutely loved it, thought it was our best cruise ever.  We went again on February 5 with occupancy of 5462 and it was not a great cruise.  A totally different experience, and don’t think we will try again.  Apparently we were spoiled by six cruises at lower occupancy and not prepared for a “normal” cruise.

We must have spoken to different people since I was on the Feb 5 sailing and was told there were 4700 on board.  It really did not matter since we had a great time on our B2B.  I was spoiled by our Apex cruises in January, the second of which had more crew than cruisers.  I knew that the MG would be a different experience so i went into it with the mentality that it would be more like a normal cruise and it was. 

Our cruises on the Discovery Princess in April will probably be somewhere in between occupancy percentage wise compared to our Apex and MG cruises.  Our B2B on the Oasis in June as well as our B2B on the MG over Labor Day will be normal cruises and I am prepared for it.

If you have any cruises booked in the near future depending on the line it could be closer to normal than you want it to be.

Edited by SNJCruisers