Travelling with Birth Certificate

Ittybitty2014

I wanted to double check......I am sailing out of Miami and doing a Caribbean cruise and will return to Miami.  Unfortunately, I am not going to have my new passport back in time.  What is it like to travel with your birth certificate and pictured ID.  Do I need to stress about this?  There would be nothing worse then being turned away at the port.   

You will not be turned away at the port as long as you have a photo ID as well as the birth certificate. I used my drivers license. The only stress would come if you had to return by air to the US early before the cruise is over. For that you would need a passport. Let’s assume nothing bad will happen and you’ll be fine

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

If you have done your online check-in, the check-in agents using the handheld devices should be able to get you embarked.  If not, you will be sent to the counter where a check-in agent with a laptop will get you checked-in.

Just make sure your birth certificate is one that has been issued by a gov't agency - town, city, county or state.  No hospital certificates (often times with foot prints) can be accepted.

I have to agree with @Ferry_Watcher .    As a Notary I otten have clients show up with a photo copy or a Birth Record issued by the hospital both of which are not acceptable.    The birth Certificate has to be an original issued by the State, County or City and will usually either have a raised seal or stamped seal which is used to verify it's authenticity.    I would suspect you will also need a secondary identification like a Driver's License that should match your Birth Certificate.   If married you may also need your Marriage Certificate if you name is different on you Birth Certificate and Reservation Name.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

If you have done your online check-in, the check-in agents using the handheld devices should be able to get you embarked.  If not, you will be sent to the counter where a check-in agent with a laptop will get you checked-in.

Just make sure your birth certificate is one that has been issued by a gov't agency - town, city, county or state.  No hospital certificates (often times with foot prints) can be accepted.

The birth certificate needs to have a raised seal

54 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

The birth certificate needs to have a raised seal

The raised seal requirement on the birth certificate has evolved over recent years.  Now, when passengers arrive at the terminal without the correct travel ID (like just a regular DL and no passport/birth certificate with them), they are asked if there is someone at home who can get ahold of their (passenger's) birth certificate, take a photo with a cell phone and send a copy of it to the the terminal shoreside office.  The birth certificate is then printed out, looked over by a supervisor, and if it looks okay, and the info matches the same data on the passenger's driver's license, it is printed out and a copy is given to the passenger.  They are embarked, and told to hold on to the birth certificate copy to show the CBP Officers upon disembarkation. 

The cruise ship and shoreside staff (with the okay of Customs & Border Protection) make every effort to get passengers with US birth certificates on board for these closed loop cruises.  As I have mentioned is past posts, the check-in agent doesn't deny boarding - it usually two supervisors, and sometimes the final decision goes to the ship's Documentation Officer who is usually behind the Guest Services counter at the terminal.

Guppy, I am cognizant that you tend to be 'by the rules,' and may find this surprising.  But, as someone who has check-in passengers, I can assure you that what I outlined happens every cruise day.  It also struck me that I have not heard/read any recent accounts of passengers tuned away from embarkation without being given the opportunity to produce a copy of a US birth certificate sent via phone.  This practice has been a lifesaver for many unaware passengers, and believe me - there is nothing worst than hearing the cries of a passenger / traveling group when told that someone in their group is being denied boarding due to document issues.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The raised seal requirement on the birth certificate has evolved over recent years.  Now, when passengers arrive at the terminal without the correct travel ID (like just a regular DL and no passport/birth certificate with them), they are asked if there is someone at home who can get ahold of their (passenger's) birth certificate, take a photo with a cell phone and send a copy of it to the the terminal shoreside office.  The birth certificate is then printed out, looked over by a supervisor, and if it looks okay, and the info matches the same data on the passenger's driver's license, it is printed out and a copy is given to the passenger.  They are embarked, and told to hold on to the birth certificate copy to show the CBP Officers upon disembarkation. 

The cruise ship and shoreside staff (with the okay of Customs & Border Protection) make every effort to get passengers with US birth certificates on board for these closed loop cruises.  As I have mentioned is past posts, the check-in agent doesn't deny boarding - it usually two supervisors, and sometimes the final decision goes to the ship's Documentation Officer who is usually behind the Guest Services counter at the terminal.

Guppy, I am cognizant that you tend to be 'by the rules,' and may find this surprising.  But, as someone who has check-in passengers, I can assure you that what I outlined happens every cruise day.  It also struck me that I have not heard/read any recent accounts of passengers tuned away from embarkation without being given the opportunity to produce a copy of a US birth certificate sent via phone.  This practice has been a lifesaver for many unaware passengers, and believe me - there is nothing worst than hearing the cries of a passenger / traveling group when told that someone in their group is being denied boarding due to document issues.

I can only go by my experience. My daughter was using her birth certificate and we were told multiple times that it had to have a raised seal. This was for sailing June 2021 on Equinox

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

How hard is it to get a passport? 

It is not hard, but it takes a lot of time to get first time passports and/or renewals, processing since Covid has been taking 2 to 3 months for new applications. In 2020 I had to renew mine and I sent in the application in June and didn't get it back until end of September. the OP said she will not have Her's in time so it sounds like she has applied but it will not be back in time for her cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

It is not hard, but it takes a lot of time to get first time passports and/or renewals, processing since Covid has been taking 2 to 3 months for new applications. In 2020 I had to renew mine and I sent in the application in June and didn't get it back until end of September. the OP said she will not have Her's in time so it sounds like she has applied but it will not be back in time for her cruise.

Recently (Dec 2021) I renewed my US passport.  I used the expedited service as I don't mind paying $60 more for a 10 year renewal.  All done through the mail.  I received my new passport back in 15 days!

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My question was somewhat rhetorical…our renewals last fall came back within 3 weeks.  

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Recently (Dec 2021) I renewed my US passport.  I used the expedited service as I don't mind paying $60 more for a 10 year renewal.  All done through the mail.  I received my new passport back in 15 days!

That is good that it takes less time. We are taking our family to St Thomas for a week in June for a family vacation. Our 11-year-old Granddaughter is getting her first passport so that she can go with us on a day trip to Tortola in the BVI.  Our son applied for her passport last week and it will be close to get it back before we leave.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is good that it takes less time. We are taking our family to St Thomas for a week in June for a family vacation. Our 11-year-old Granddaughter is getting her first passport so that she can go with us on a day trip to Tortola in the BVI.  Our son applied for her passport last week and it will be close to get it back before we leave.

Oh I think he will have the passport back well in time for your family vacation.  Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Oh I think he will have the passport back well in time for your family vacation.  Good luck!!

When he did the application, he was told that it could take up to 15 weeks to get the passport back. We have our fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

When he did the application, he was told that it could take up to 15 weeks to get the passport back. We have our fingers crossed.

Hopefully the Govt website that says 8-11 weeks for routine and 5-7 for expedited is correct.

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Hopefully the Govt website that says 8-11 weeks for routine and 5-7 for expedited is correct.

My son is too cheap to pay the fee for expedited, LOL We hope the "up to 15 weeks" is in the 8 week range.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

How hard is it to get a passport? 

I sent off our old passports for new passports last year. I think it was in Nov. We did not do express service. It took one month. Much faster than I thought it would be.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

For those wondering about passport time, I recently paid for the expedited service (was told 5-8 weeks) and got mine back in less than three weeks.  They seem to be moving quickly right now.

Exactly…

My SIL showed up at the port for a Princess cruise with an expired passport (unknowingly). A neighbor went into their home and took a picture of her birth certificate, and emailed it to her. She was still denied (and spoke to everyone including officers) and could not board. This was the first half of a b2b. She got an appointment in Miami at the passport office and was able to get her new passport in a few hours, and was able to sail on the second half of her b2b.  The problem seemed to be that Grand Turk and Amber Cove required passports, even though it was a closed loop cruise.  IMHO, always safer to have a passport.