Roaming costs to use P&O My Holiday

terrierjohn

Now that roaming charges are being re-introduced I wonder if P&O will be willing to reimburse passengers this cost, since having to use the My Holiday web page will automatically mean your phone will be live for the entire holiday., even if you intended to keep it locked in your cabin safe.

If you put your phone in airplane mode you can still access the wifi to connect to the webpage, and avoid any other costs. Turning off mobile data should work similarly if it's an older phone that doesn't have wifi available on airplane mode, but depends if you have any costs for receiving texts or calls on your plan. The wifi is free for to access that page. 

Edited by Amyracecar

4 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

If you put your phone in airplane mode you can still access the wifi to connect to the webpage, and avoid any other costs. Turning off mobile data should work similarly if it's an older phone that doesn't have wifi available on airplane mode, but depends if you have any costs for receiving texts or calls on your plan. The wifi is free for to access that page. 

If your phone supplier is one of those reintroducing roaming charges,and charging you a per day fee, then if your phone is switched on it will incur the daily charge. PAYG customers should be OK  as long as data is switched off, but overseas text costs are increasing.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If your phone supplier is one of those reintroducing roaming charges,and charging you a per day fee, then if your phone is switched on it will incur the daily charge. PAYG customers should be OK  as long as data is switched off, but overseas text costs are increasing.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I frequently travel to countries where roaming charges have always applied, and if your phone is in airplane mode or mobile data switched off, then you aren't charged anything per day. (Free roaming has only been only Europe and selected countries, it's always applied to many others) The charge only applies if you actually connect to the mobile data network, and in airplane mode it can't do that so there is no fee. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I frequently travel to countries where roaming charges have always applied, and if your phone is in airplane mode or mobile data switched off, then you aren't charged anything per day. (Free roaming has only been only Europe and selected countries, it's always applied to many others) The charge only applies if you actually connect to the mobile data network, and in airplane mode it can't do that so there is no fee. 

Maybe it's the way that Sky are going to apply roaming charges, but since this applies to calls and texts as well as data, then they confirmed to me that if your phone is switched on and able to receive texts, then it will activate the daily charge. Maybe if airplane mode keeps your phone dark and not visible to your mobile providor that might work, but then can you still use free wi fi.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe it's the way that Sky are going to apply roaming charges, but since this applies to calls and texts as well as data, then they confirmed to me that if your phone is switched on and able to receive texts, then it will activate the daily charge. Maybe if airplane mode keeps your phone dark and not visible to your mobile providor that might work, but then can you still use free wi fi.

In flight mode your phone is not able to send or receive network texts, calls or messages.  You will not be charged if you leave it in flight mode.

And yes, you connect via wifi for free.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

In flight mode your phone is not able to send or receive network texts, calls or messages.  You will not be charged if you leave it in flight mode.

And yes, you connect via wifi for free.

My phone automatically turns off wi fi when in flight mode.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My phone automatically turns off wi fi when in flight mode.

Yes, mine does, but I can switch it back on again.  Have done this when we used to fly Norwegian, free wifi on the plane in flight mode, but with wifi active.

5 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Yes, mine does, but I can switch it back on again.  Have done this when we used to fly Norwegian, free wifi on the plane in flight mode, but with wifi active.

You learn something new every day, mine does as well!!!  Will this still leave your phone dark to your provider?

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You learn something new every day, mine does as well!!!  Will this still leave your phone dark to your provider?

As far as I am aware, but it certainly does from a roaming cost point of view.  On our last cruise my wife didn't switch her phone out of flight mode and never received any of those texts you get when you enter a new country and switch your phone on.

I neatly avoid the problem by not having a SIM in my smartphone so I can't be charged. I can access the free Wifi web and P&O's ship intranet and the My Holiday pages on there. I do have a functional Doro pensioner proof mobile phone with a PAYG SIM.  It can make and receive calls and text which I suppose is why it is called a mobile phone. 😉

The giant buttons are great for someone who does not like touch screens, especially tiny ones. Plus it stays in the safe for the duration of the cruise. Cost me less than £30

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Now that roaming charges are being re-introduced I wonder if P&O will be willing to reimburse passengers this cost, since having to use the My Holiday web page will automatically mean your phone will be live for the entire holiday., even if you intended to keep it locked in your cabin safe.

The my holiday app uses the ships intranet, if phone is switched to airplane mode than no cost, but your phone/sim provider must tell you of any costs before they are incurred.

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The best thing is contact your provider before you go away and see what deals they offer.

When we got on Iona 7 night staycation cruise in September I added all our restaurant, entertainment choices to the app in the lounge near to the My holiday desk on Iona in Southampton.

Fortunately roaming charges didn't apply then.

The cabin TV could operate interactive TV too the same as the app.

Graham.

36 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The my holiday app uses the ships intranet, if phone is switched to airplane mode than no cost, but your phone/sim provider must tell you of any costs before they are incurred.

Probably true, but we have had an e-mail from Sky advising the new charges, so I assume that will fulfill that commitment.

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Probably true, but we have had an e-mail from Sky advising the new charges, so I assume that will fulfill that commitment.

No it doesn't they must inform you whatever country your entering the cost to use data or make calls, my provider texted us whilst we was in the Caribbean each island we visited.

You need to

1. turn airplane mode on

2. Then turn WiFi on.

You need WiFi for the onboard service but it won’t use any roaming data as it’s turned off when airplane mode is on.

Its a ship internal system.

24 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

You need to

1. turn airplane mode on

2. Then turn WiFi on.

You need WiFi for the onboard service but it won’t use any roaming data as it’s turned off when airplane mode is on.

Its a ship internal system.

I am on Tesco ( O2 ). DW is direct with O2. Neither charge roaming and say they have no intention of doing so. Even so when on P&O we turn on airplane mode to avoid connecting to the ships phone system. We still pick up myPandO as it is their intranet.

Edited by zap99

36 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am also on O2 but PAYG.  I simply turn off data, so no roaming charge.  Don't need Airplane mode.  I just use wifi in the ports.

Same here and should I need to use something that would use data the phone alerts me and gives me the choice of switching it back on .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I am on Sky Mobile, and just checked their web site. After May 3rd they will start roaming charges for EU but it is a fixed charge of £2 per 24 hours and is only activated if you use Data, make a call or send a text message. It specifically says that receiving a call or texts are free and does not activate the daily charge.

At the same time they are reducing the daily charge specified countries outside the EU (e.g. USA, Canada and Australia) from £6 to £2.

So as long as you turn off data roaming you can still leave the phone on the system - just don't make a call or send a text. I find this is a good method for people to contact me, I just ask them to send a text which is always free to receive (even in countries where you have to pay per call/text)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

No it doesn't they must inform you whatever country your entering the cost to use data or make calls, my provider texted us whilst we was in the Caribbean each island we visited.

You misunderstand me, Sky are charging £2 per day to allow you to use your contract rate calls, (to UK numbers) texts and data.