Shorts in MDR

hoss23

everyone please post "EXACTLY" what the M'd, Headwaiter, Hotel Manager, Captain, stated when you complained "TO THEM" while onboard about what you were experiencing in the mdr in regards to how people were dressed on 'formal / dress to impress / smart casual' nights

waiting for actual responses to the on board complaints and how they were addressed 🦄

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

It is very confusing for someone new to Princess.  Some threads people say you signed on the dotted line when you bought the cruise and agreed to all of Princess' policies and then the same people say to ignore other Princess policies in other threads.  Just a wee bit helter skelter if you ask me?   Sounds like the buffets may be way less stress to deal with in regards to dining.

All of that said, be comfortable and enjoy yourself however you choose to dress in the MDR and elsewhere. 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

everyone please post "EXACTLY" what the M'd, Headwaiter, Hotel Manager, Captain, stated when you complained "TO THEM" while onboard about what you were experiencing in the mdr in regards to how people were dressed on 'formal / dress to impress / smart casual' nights

waiting for actual responses to the on board complaints and how they were addressed 🦄

Now that may very rarely happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Now that may very rarely happen.

This is EXACTLY what the maitre d' did when I pointed to the two men (?) wearing shorts entering the main dining room just ahead of me on the Sky Princess ...

Shoulder Shrug GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Potstech said:

And who decides where to draw that line. Princess has decided already. So if their decision is not to your liking then there is always Cunard and a few other lines that might meet your standards.  By the way the buffet does not serve the same food as the MDR especially on dress up nights. 

Most nights you can get the same meals in the buffet that they're serving in the MDR. Not always but often. Maybe you haven't had the opportunity but check it out some time.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 3:52 PM, ISpring said:

Common courtesy?

In the United States you mean?

That went the way of the Dodo bird a long time ago!

Sad state of affairs!

well I have the discourteous pleasure of stating that NO one was or has been wearing shorts in the dining room. since boarding 3/12

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

well I have the discourteous pleasure of stating that NO one was or has been wearing shorts in the dining room. since boarding 3/12

And everyone here, I’m certain, is happy for you and your fellow passengers who have made a choice. 
Why on earth would any reasonable person want to deny a fellow passenger the freedom of choice?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

And everyone here, I’m certain, is happy for you and your fellow passengers who have made a choice. 
Why on earth would any reasonable person want to deny a fellow passenger the freedom of choice?

What you may feel is reasonable may not look reasonable to other in the MDR.  Ignoring the issue of neat versus very sloppy or paint splattered shorts, I can think of lots of shorts that are short enough and/or tight enough to be unreasonable although the wearer may  feel that they are reasonable.  Are we going to be reduced to the high school dress code equivalent of appropriate short skirt length and will the MDR staff be reduced measuring shorts length before allowing people into the MDR.  Will we also have a different set of appropriate shorts for a normal dinner night and a more formal short lengths for for formal  nights.  

This is a link to a site which tells what the rules are for acceptable dress shorts in Bermuca - https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-01-26/dress-code-how-to-wear-bermuda-shorts. This is the text from that site - "The “Bermuda rig,” or formal men’s outfit, includes a blazer, shorts, and knee socks—and its origin dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, when British military officers stationed on the island found that wearing long trousers in the hot tropical climate was almost unbearable. They were given permission to snip their uniform pants off at the knee, and thus the Bermuda short was born. Tailors on the island took note, and by the 1920s the trend had taken off. But, in keeping with the air of English formality, the shorts came with a few strict rules: Bermudas couldn’t be more than six inches above the knee and they had to be worn with knee socks—while a jacket and tie was the only suitable way of dressing them up for business."

DON

On 3/1/2022 at 6:58 AM, hoss23 said:

Hi:  It’s been over 10 years since our last Princess cruise and I have a question. Are shorts for men an accepted attire in the MDR on casual nights? If they are do many men wear them, or are shorts few and far between. Recently we have cruised on Carnival and it seems close to 50% wear shorts on casual nights. Thanks for you input.

Question….Why would you want to wear shorts in the MDR?  I’ve had 27 cruises with Princess & don’t ever remember seeing anyone with shorts on. 

Tom🤔

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, donaldsc said:

This is a quote from the Princess dress code site directly from the Princess WEB site -

"Smart casual:  "Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant."

In south Florida, wearing shorts is what many do for visiting a restaurant.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, caribill said:

In south Florida, wearing shorts is what many do for visiting a restaurant.

And where I live, you wouldn't be allowed into a restaurant wearing shorts. 

The Princess recommendation is worthless.

4 hours ago, Billish said:

And where I live, you wouldn't be allowed into a restaurant wearing shorts. 

The Princess recommendation is worthless.

Where is that?  

When traveling in the US during summer vacations and visiting family/friends in different parts of the country it seems like shorts are always very acceptable in all of the places we have eaten no matter what level of restaurant they are?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Where is that?  

When traveling in the US during summer vacations and visiting family/friends in different parts of the country it seems like shorts are always very acceptable in all of the places we have eaten no matter what level of restaurant they are?

Sorry - I'm referring to the UK. Shorts would be totally acceptable in pubs, cafes etc, but not in a reputable restaurant. 

3 minutes ago, Billish said:

Sorry - I'm referring to the UK. Shorts would be totally acceptable in pubs, cafes etc, but not in a reputable restaurant. 

Same in North America - pubs, little sit down places like Chinese restaurants, buffets and so on. A fine dining establishment - and yes on most cruise lines MDRs are considered fine dining - you'd be asked to leave if you wear shorts. To be clear, NCL is much more relaxed when it comes to MDRs and I imagine Carnival is as well although its been a long time since I cruised Carnival. 

• Like 1