New Canadian Cruise Requirements - Alaska Cruise Season in Jeopardy Again?

JT1962

Has anyone actually read the order? If I'm reading it correctly, it defines passengers required to be vaccinated as anyone over 12 years, 4 months. With some exceptions. Everyone has to be tested.

Vaccination status

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(b), the vaccination status to be verified is the following:

(a) in the case of a person on board the cruise ship other than a passenger or pilot,

(i) that they have received the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine dosage regimen before boarding, and

(ii) beginning on January 24, 2022, that they are fully vaccinated; and

(b) in the case of a passenger who is 12 years and 4 months of age or older, that they are fully vaccinated.

Exception

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(b), the reasons a person may have for not being vaccinated are the following:

(a) a medical contraindication;

(b) a sincerely held religious belief, in the case of

(i) a person, other than a passenger, on board a cruise ship, and

(ii) a passenger who boarded a cruise ship in Canada. 

Edited by trueeden
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Yeah, my heart goes out to those booked to sail from Vancouver.  I'd hate to be up in the air right now about that.   We are eager to return to Vancouver as well, fell in love with the city the last time we were there.  We considered sailing from Vancouver, but after 3 years of trying to sail AK, opted for a RT from Seattle for this year.  I wish the best for all in their travel plans.  🙂 

Thanks...we are some of those that have booked a RT out of Vancouver for Sept 2022.

Just hoping something is worked out.

• Like 3

We are one of those that is supposed to leave from Vancouver on a Princess cruisetour starting 5/25/2022. Just made our final payment last week so now it is wait and see what happens. After having our cruised canceled in 2020 and 2021 I hope something is worked out we are flying in a day early to enjoy Vancouver so we will wait patiently to see what happens 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Discus16 said:

We are one of those that is supposed to leave from Vancouver on a Princess cruisetour starting 5/25/2022. Just made our final payment last week so now it is wait and see what happens. After having our cruised canceled in 2020 and 2021 I hope something is worked out we are flying in a day early to enjoy Vancouver so we will wait patiently to see what happens 

Did you book your flights yet? I was tempted to do so a few times when I saw some great rates but would like to know something before I do so am watching the May cruises closely.

3 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

We are cruising with Viking, which I think meets all requirements. We debark Vancouver and have 2 days planned post cruise

Affirmative, Viking operates at a higher standard than the Govt of Canada requires. You must be fully vaccinated, which includes a booster.

Remember for cruises from or to Canada its not just the cruise policies but also the policy to fly in or out as well.

Not as big for Canadians but for Americans we would need to see what the policy would be. 

Happy to be cruising out of Seattle to avoid some of the headache possibly. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

Did you book your flights yet? I was tempted to do so a few times when I saw some great rates but would like to know something before I do so am watching the May cruises closely.

Yes we booked through Princess easy air. We figured that was the safest way incase the cruisetour is changed or cancelled 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, magicsoccer said:

What will they do with the cruises from Seward to Vancouver.  Bypassing Canada wouldn't be possible with that.  I hope we hear some decisions soon.  I hate "not knowing"

Hope a decision is made prior to final payment on our May 20th Seward to Vancouver Celebrity cruise.  I don't want more FCC's.

I am booked Vancouver to Seward in July.  I don' t see what the problem is going to be.  When I booked the regulation was 95% of ship had to be vaccinated.  Canada now says 100%.  Which sounds like families may have to cancel if they have kids under age 5 who can't be vaccinated.   And anyone over the age of 5 who thought they were going to be able to get on without being vaccinated will need to cancel.    Would they cancel an entire cruise season for 5% of the passengers?  I am probably naïve but trying to not get nervous about it yet.   What am I missing?

33 minutes ago, taymiss2 said:

I am booked Vancouver to Seward in July.  I don' t see what the problem is going to be.  When I booked the regulation was 95% of ship had to be vaccinated.  Canada now says 100%.  Which sounds like families may have to cancel if they have kids under age 5 who can't be vaccinated.   And anyone over the age of 5 who thought they were going to be able to get on without being vaccinated will need to cancel.    Would they cancel an entire cruise season for 5% of the passengers?  I am probably naïve but trying to not get nervous about it yet.   What am I missing?

I agree, taymiss2. We are doing Seward to Vancouver also in July. I think Celebrity will require 100% of guests to be vaccinated and I’m fine with that. We’ve had all 3 shots and are ready to go. Talked to our travel agent today and there is apparently no panic among the agents. Just made our flight reservations today.

46 minutes ago, taymiss2 said:

I’m also doing Vancouver to Seward but in May. I don’t see cruises leaving out of Vancouver or Seward being an issue because most people who booked probably read and understood/realized what the rules/regulations are for crossing the border. Especially up until recently I believe their quarantine rules would have in essence eliminated children from cruising. But I can see it effecting round trip cruises out of Seattle. 

If the Alaska cruise season is in jeopardy, I don’t think it will have anything to do with vaccinations or COVID. I cruise in 60 days and am concerned that my cruise will get cancelled. But not because of Covid or the Canadian government. 

Edited by LMKakaThing2

19 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Why (and how) would these Canadian regulations particularly affect RT Vancouver cruises?  Is it because the cruise lines might have to cancel these cruises or is it because the regulations would be tougher on the passengers? 

When you sail round trip out of Vancouver port...you have to go through Canada customs when you come back...which means another input of information to the ArriveCan app for everyone AND an antigen test...before even getting off back into Vancouver...so for a 7 night round trip cruise, you would would need 2 tests (one before and one after) and if you are coming from any other country other than Canada...2 times using the arrivecan app.  Not saying it isn't possible, but I can see a lot of people complaining about that...and it would just be easier to sail out of Seattle round trip instead of Vancouver if one has to do that much fuss for 1 cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

When you sail round trip out of Vancouver port...you have to go through Canada customs when you come back...which means another input of information to the ArriveCan app for everyone AND an antigen test...before even getting off back into Vancouver...so for a 7 night round trip cruise, you would would need 2 tests (one before and one after) and if you are coming from any other country other than Canada...2 times using the arrivecan app.  Not saying it isn't possible, but I can see a lot of people complaining about that...and it would just be easier to sail out of Seattle round trip instead of Vancouver if one has to do that much fuss for 1 cruise.  

I am doing the 14-day Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in June.  I do know about the ArriveCan app but when I made my plane reservations to return back to California I also had to fill out online information for re-entry back into the United States.  I know that the cruise lines are trying to work with Canada to come up with something that works so I will just wait to hear.  Can't continue to dwell on the unknown or else I will drive myself crazy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Can't continue to dwell on the unknown or else I will drive myself crazy.

It's early March.  I think your approach is most sensible.... plenty of time for things to change before the cruise season in/out of Canada begins in earnest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

It's early March.  I think your approach is most sensible.... plenty of time for things to change before the cruise season in/out of Canada begins in earnest.

They have 1 month until the first ship comes into port in Victoria.  I sure hope they come up with a good plan 🙂 

• Like 2

We switched our point of origin from Vancouver to Seattle for our June voyage. At the time, Seattle's requirement was a quick COVID test vs. Canada's PCR test requirement. We did not want to deal with waiting for results and stressing it about. Now it looks like Canada is in line with Seattle. 

Whatever! My goal is to be flexible like Gumby!

• Like 2

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this (I am disembarking in Vancouver early June so I am worried)....but now I'm starting to worry about the whole Russia issue.  It seems horrible to actually go to Alaska and be so close to Russia.

1 hour ago, MudderBear said:

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this (I am disembarking in Vancouver early June so I am worried)....but now I'm starting to worry about the whole Russia issue.  It seems horrible to actually go to Alaska and be so close to Russia.

I've been thinking the same thing MudderBear.  At this point CoVid restrictions are probably the least of our worries considering what is going on with Russia.  That situation may get much worse before it gets better.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, taymiss2 said:

No issue at all, since it isn't a new policy. The 100% requirement was first published last Fall.

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

1 hour ago, erlyvon said:

I've been thinking the same thing MudderBear.  At this point CoVid restrictions are probably the least of our worries considering what is going on with Russia.  That situation may get much worse before it gets better.

I cruise out of Vancouver May 2nd and have the same concerns as you. Right now I think the bigger concern for cruises being cancelled is Russia..and I think that should be a concern for any cruise, just not Alaska.  I don’t think those getting on or off in Vancouver really need to worry about the COVID restrictions. I think the COVID restrictions will effect those leaving out of Seattle. Although, I’m not sure how cruise lines will handle cruises disembarking in Vancouver.