Considering HA for next years Alaska cruise

Katnisslove

Hello!!  My boyfriend (68) and I (38) have only been on 3 cruises and all on NCL and in the Caribbean.  We had an Alaska booked for last year that was canceled a few times so we went with the "safer" option (safer being that it probably wouldn't be canceled on us) and did the Caribbean again.  We knew that the next one would be Alaska since that is a bucket list place for both of us.  I had been mainly looking at NCL because that's what we know and they seem to be one of the only ones doing longer than 7 night cruises. We have done a 7 night, 9 night and the last was a 14 night.  We also get all the perks with them which is beverage package, $50 shore excursion per port, 3+ specialty dining nights and wifi. I happened to look at the Holland America site and noticed that they have the cruise with land tour package that is ALOT (between 1-2 grand depending on length) cheaper than an 11 night cruise on NCL.  What are your thoughts on switching lines? 

We like the trivia, games, daily activities on NCL but aren't night club people and rarely are out past 11 unless a performer we liked was playing.

We didn't use the water slides/rock wall/etc on NCL but I do love the water and was in the pool multiple times. Lol. 

We liked being able to eat when we wanted and the fact that there was always a place to eat/drink no matter what time.

He loved the Spinnaker lounge on the Gem for early morning coffee and relax while I was still asleep (area at the front of the ship which was all windows and relaxing chairs/sofas)

He also really liked the bridge viewing section on the Gem.  Anything like that on this line?

We do ship excursions for the piece of mind that they take care of everything (I'm not comfortable doing non-ship sponsored because we are "new" to cruising).  Are there enough options on HA?  (Like dog sledding, whale watching, zip line, etc..?  We are definitely not "lets pay to just ride around on a bus or walk around town" people.

If you have done Alaska what time of year would you suggest?

Any other pointers or thoughts would be wonderful!!!!!

I have been to Alaska 15 times with Holland America.  My favorite month is early May because it is the driest month, prices are lower for airfare and cruise prices, lots of new baby creatures discovering life, still a hint of snow on the peaks, no mosquitos, and few kids (still in school).

I have experienced most of the ship-sponsored excursions in Alaska including dog sledding in the snow in Skagway, photographing feeding eagles on the Crab Fishing excursion, whales bubble feeding in both Juneau and Icy Strait Point, flightseeing over Denali National Park and the Misty Fjords, passing large ice flows in a small excursion boat in Tracy Arm Fjord, walking on the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, experiencing the gold rush trail out of Skagway, photographing both brown and black bears, etc. 

With most stops in Alaska around 7:00 AM, most passengers retire earlier in the evening.  There is always something to do onboard in Alaska but most passengers are ashore during the daylight hours. I am including a link to the daily activities from 2019 to give you an idea of onboard things to do.  Alaska Daily Activities

Here is a link to the current bar menu:  Bar Menu

Alaska is a huge state and you cannot do everything on a single visit.  Consider your first visit a sampler for subsequent cruises.

Feel free to ask lots of questions.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-1.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050039.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/brown-bears/P6100504.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/orcas/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-060-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have been to Alaska 15 times with Holland America.  My favorite month is early May because it is the driest month, prices are lower for airfare and cruise prices, lots of new baby creatures discovering life, still a hint of snow on the peaks, no mosquitos, and few kids (still in school).

I have experienced most of the ship-sponsored excursions in Alaska including dog sledding in the snow in Skagway, photographing feeding eagles on the Crab Fishing excursion, whales bubble feeding in both Juneau and Icy Strait Point, flightseeing over Denali National Park and the Misty Fjords, passing large ice flows in a small excursion boat in Tracy Arm Fjord, walking on the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, experiencing the gold rush trail out of Skagway, photographing both brown and black bears, etc. 

With most stops in Alaska around 7:00 AM, most passengers retire earlier in the evening.  There is always something to do onboard in Alaska but most passengers are ashore during the daylight hours. I am including a link to the daily activities from 2019 to give you an idea of onboard things to do.  Alaska Daily Activities

Here is a link to the current bar menu:  Bar Menu

Alaska is a huge state and you cannot do everything on a single visit.  Consider your first visit a sampler for subsequent cruises.

Feel free to ask lots of questions.

I will! Lol.  Have you done the land tour + cruise?  If so, did you do land then cruise or cruise than land?  I am looking at the combo right now because I really like the longer cruises and don't think 7 days is quite enough (why I was looking at 11 nights on NCL).  Have you used their air?  If we do that can we request to fly in a day early?  Would you do the signature drink package or upgrade to Elite?  How is the entertainment and are there people around the ship performing or is it only the main entertainment of the night?  We had one guitarist on the Gem we followed around as well as one on the Breakaway last time.

One thing to consider - HAL was the first real cruise line to sail to Alaska and IMO it does a great job of it.  Seems like we always get good pier assignments for one thing.  They also own alot of hotels, rail cars and attractions in Alaska, which they employ on their cruise/land tours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

One thing to consider - HAL was the first real cruise line to sail to Alaska and IMO it does a great job of it.  Seems like we always get good pier assignments for one thing.

Juneau is a good example of the good pier assignments.  The dock for Princess is further from the center of the city than HAL's and NCL's dock is even further away.  I think a shuttle is provided, but, not sure.

Ketchikan:  if the docks are full and one is on Princess ship when a Princess ship is already at dock, your ship will anchor and tenders will be provided to get you ashore. 

42 minutes ago, Katnisslove said:

I will! Lol.  Have you done the land tour + cruise?  If so, did you do land then cruise or cruise than land?  I am looking at the combo right now because I really like the longer cruises and don't think 7 days is quite enough (why I was looking at 11 nights on NCL).  Have you used their air?  If we do that can we request to fly in a day early?  Would you do the signature drink package or upgrade to Elite?  How is the entertainment and are there people around the ship performing or is it only the main entertainment of the night?  We had one guitarist on the Gem we followed around as well as one on the Breakaway last time.

I prefer the cruise first and then land. Ending the land tour in Anchorage provides a greater selection of flights home.   Note that the park does not fully open until the first week of June.  Choose at least two days in Denali to allow you another tour in addition to the included Tundra Wilderness Tour.

The Flight Ease program has great prices for international travel but travel agent domestic prices are more flexible for me.  I ALWAYS fly in a day early to avoid any issues.  The beverage package works if you consume enough alcohol to make it worthwhile during the hours you are on the ship (dinner time to bedtime).  I also have used the land tour meal plan and found it a waste of money.  It also does not cover all of the meals.

There are multiple entertainment venues on the ship that operate simultaneously so you can always find something you like.  Since I consider the ship merely transportation to good photo opportunities, the entertainment is not on my priority list.

I do recommend the Fly Denali excursion with a landing in the snow for your second day in the park.  Here is a link to give you an idea of what to expect in Denali:

Denali

Hope this helps.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/denali-park/P6126885-2-Edit.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I was reading though is that the Signature drink package has a 15 drink limit no matter if its alcoholic or not which is why I was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it so that there isn't as much stress trying to count how many coffee, soda, drinks we have.

I will definitely look at the 2 or 3 days in Denali.  There are SO MANY to look at!!!!  Lol.  

6 minutes ago, Katnisslove said:

What I was reading though is that the Signature drink package has a 15 drink limit no matter if its alcoholic or not which is why I was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it so that there isn't as much stress trying to count how many coffee, soda, drinks we have.

One more very good reason why I have had and will have no interest in purchasing such a package.  

1 hour ago, Katnisslove said:

I will! Lol.  Have you done the land tour + cruise?  If so, did you do land then cruise or cruise than land? 

My opinion is opposite of Crew News.  I prefer the land portion first because I like relaxing on the cruise after the more physical portion of the vacation.  Just my personal preference.  🙂

• Like 4

I have had the SBP twice as part of a promotion and consumed 8 drinks during the hours I was onboard.

• Like 1

Alaska is huge and moving from place to place will require a lot of "seat" time.  Seward to Denali is 9 hours by bus or 12 hours by train.  Denali to Anchorage is 9 hours by train.  The Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour is 7 hours on a school bus.  Flights from Anchorage to my home are 9 hours.

Here is a HAL Alaska brochure that may help you: 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/PDFs/2022_Alaska_Planner_7-7-21.pdf

• Like 1

We've been to Alaska with the extra days and we prefer land tour first as someone else noted - to be able to relax on the ship afterward.  We flew into Fairbanks and had 5 days on land with a double Denali which we loved.   No matter what you decide to do - you will love it.   It's an amazing state.  

Because of the issue last year of part of the road collapse in Denali I wouldn't count on the Tundra Tour Operating this year.   This was posted.  That is the only tour that takes you deep into the park - you cannot travel by car on that road.  

Is Denali National Park closed?
In October, the National Park Service announced, half of the 92-mile road that cuts through this massive national park in Alaska will remain closed through 2022 as the service works to complete a bridge over what has become an increasingly dangerous landslide.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been twice. Once on a 7 day round trip from Seattle that was in early June, and our first was a 12 day triple Denali cruise tour that we did in late Aug/early Sept. and it was land first. We felt that doing it that way allowed us to rest up on the cruise part. We flew home from Vancouver and flight options were more limited and somewhat more expensive.

It sounds like your boyfriend will enjoy the Crow's nest for his morning coffee, and the hydrotherapy pool might be worth a look. It isn't particularly cheap, but we love it and prefer a ship that has it available. As far as entertainment goes, we enjoy the trivia and music onboard, but we spend most of our time on our balcony or wandering the ship, and that's what best entertains us. 🙂

We too prefer ship's excursions, and find they have an adequate selection for us. We are less adventurous than some, so prefer slower paced, scenic options and Alaska provides plenty of that. One in particular that we enjoyed was the small group experience scientific excursion out of Juneau. Despite a day of steady rain, we spent most of the time observing a mother humpback with her calf and had a great time.

Denali National Park is beautiful and well worth a visit. We enjoyed our time at McKinley Chalet Resort, it's a peaceful relaxing stopover.

Whenever you go, whatever you do, Alaska is worth seeing. Enjoy the planning, and enjoy your trip.

Lori & George

3 minutes ago, maryandmarge said:
Is Denali National Park closed?
In October, the National Park Service announced, half of the 92-mile road that cuts through this massive national park in Alaska will remain closed through 2022 as the service works to complete a bridge over what has become an increasingly dangerous landslide.

We saw the report about the landslide. It sounded like they will run the Tundra Wilderness Tour, it just won't go as far as it did. Unless that has changed. I believe the slide occurred somewhere near Polychrome Pass.

George

@Katnisslove

Do-Eet!

You may never go back to NCL. We never did.

Three cruises to Alaska, all with HAL. Two in June (longest daylight) and one in mid-July (salmon should be running, although only really saw them thick in one place). Roger makes a good argument for May, though!

HAL does have a longer cruise, the Alaskan Explorer, usually 14-days R/T out of either Seattle or Vancouver (it changes year to year), that is all cruising, no land portion, that ports at some less touristy places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

@Katnisslove

HAL does have a longer cruise, the Alaskan Explorer, usually 14-days R/T out of either Seattle or Vancouver (it changes year to year), that is all cruising, no land portion, that ports at some less touristy places.

I will be on a 14-Day cruise out of Vancouver this September to see the bears feeding at the last salmon run as well as hoping to see the northern lights near Anchorage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bias admitted up front!  I would highly recommend leaving or returning to Vancouver over Seattle. Reason is when you leave from Seattle you go out to the ocean immediately, and cruise north on the west side of Vancouver island. You are out f sight of land the whole first day until you head east after getting north. When you leave or return to Vancouver you go north in the inland passage which is between Vancouver island and mainland BC. You are very close to beautiful scenery both going north and com8ng south…..mts, whales, and small towns.  HOWEVER  the Royal HAL ships are too big to go this  inside way, so be sure you 

double check. Also, HAL almost always has glacier bay on the  sailing which for most of us is the premier glacier spot. It is limited in the number of ships allowed in and HAL has a lions share of the spots booked.  You ar3 in for a true treat!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I definately like sailing out of Vancouver vs Seattle due to the inside route.  However, this year we are doing Seattle due to the Covid testing requirments - who knows what Canada will require at the time we sail - not worth the worry to us.

We di like May because of the extra long days (vs Sept), but sometimes ice in the water can restrict some routes and how close you can get to the glaciers.  One year we did an early MAy and the prior Sept we did exactly the same route.  In Glacier Bay we could not get anywhere as near to the main glacier as we did in Sept and many people onboard were quite disappointed.

You’ve gotten great advice from everyone.  I suggest you get a copy of Anne Vipond’s “Alaska by Cruise Ship”.  She provides great info about ports, excursions, ships, etc.  It will help you decide what you want to do, when you want to go, etc.  I made a lot of my decisions based upon this book.  (And, the information that I got from Cruise Critic!)

Personally, I like do the land first then the cruise.  I’ve been to Alaska in May, June and September with two trips each in May and June.  June has the longest daylight hours which is a plus for looking at scenery while sailing and would be very good in Denali.

• Like 3

May is a good month to go to AK. For the better sea/land tour you want the “Triple Denali” which gives you the best opportunity to see Denali. HAL is a leader in the best AK cruises. We’ve done 9, all different experiences.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, muffin said:

Bias admitted up front!  I would highly recommend leaving or returning to Vancouver over Seattle. Reason is when you leave from Seattle you go out to the ocean immediately, and cruise north on the west side of Vancouver island. You are out f sight of land the whole first day until you head east after getting north. When you leave or return to Vancouver you go north in the inland passage which is between Vancouver island and mainland BC. You are very close to beautiful scenery both going north and com8ng south…..mts, whales, and small towns.  HOWEVER  the Royal HAL ships are too big to go this  inside way, so be sure you 

double check. Also, HAL almost always has glacier bay on the  sailing which for most of us is the premier glacier spot. It is limited in the number of ships allowed in and HAL has a lions share of the spots booked.  You ar3 in for a true treat!  

Royal HAL??  Or was that autocorrect running amuck?

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Vancouver departures/arrivals.

• Like 1

Good catch……thinking of the Princess Royal ships which cannot go north inside route!  With ships only getting bigger it will one day be all lines perhaps?  At any rate…check and double check!