What are the chances Carnival or any cruise line eliminates Vaccine mandates?

goracer6

13 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

As long as there is efficacy in reducing serious outcomes, as demonstrated by hospitalization ICU admissions of vaccinated vs not, the CDC probably won't let up. Especially, if another serious variant pops up. Even if the lines wanted to relent (which I'm sure some do, more $$), it would revert back to common transportation carrier status and mask and other oversight that comes with it. Lines are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Keeping their distinction and benefits is better for everyone (the lines and passengers) right now. It's getting better slowly. Folks can argue about it all day but under the preview of health, executive branch autonomy and transportation oversight, the CDC will call the shots until they don't. Hemming and hawing around the facts and/or personal feelings aren't going to change anything, it is what it is.     

The efficacy of covid shots against Omicron was a whopping 36 percent. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The testing makes the most sense for keeping covid off of the ships since vaccinated people can get covid and spread it.  It would make much more sense for vaccination requirements to go away before testing.  Just  test everyone before boarding.  

The segregation of vaccinated and unvaccinated doesn't stop the spread.  Testing stops the spread. 

this is not entirely true. You can carry Covid and not test positive for days before you have any symptoms or a positive test, especially with rapid tests. Vaccination cuts infection rate by a minimum 70%, and lowers viral load dramatically if you do get infected. It's the best measure to stop the spread. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

The efficacy of covid shots against Omicron was a whopping 36 percent. 

Helmets, seat belts and air bags aren't even close to 100% effective, the latter two, sometimes even detrimental to a crash victim, yet I'll take my chances as they improve my odds. Not everything is black/white. Keeping folks out of the ICU and hospital matters and is valuable.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

As long as there is efficacy in reducing serious outcomes, as demonstrated by hospitalization ICU admissions of vaccinated vs not, the CDC probably won't let up. Especially, if another serious variant pops up. Even if the lines wanted to relent (which I'm sure some do, more $$), it would revert back to common transportation carrier status and mask and other oversight that comes with it. Lines are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Keeping their distinction and benefits is better for everyone (the lines and passengers) right now. It's getting better slowly. Folks can argue about it all day but under the preview of health, executive branch autonomy and transportation oversight, the CDC will call the shots until they don't. Hemming and hawing around the facts and/or personal feelings aren't going to change anything, it is what it is.     

The problem is that hospitalization numbers and (frankly death numbers) are not the full story.  The hospitalization number provided is almost always those WITH covid, not there from covid.  If this was also truly about reducing hospitalizations, they would take into account those who have had and recovered from the virus.  Those people have significantly reduced chances at hospitalizations.  If the CDC really cared about the public, recoveries would be in the same category as vaxxed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

The problem is that hospitalization numbers and (frankly death numbers) are not the full story.  The hospitalization number provided is almost always those WITH covid, not there from covid.  If this was also truly about reducing hospitalizations, they would take into account those who have had and recovered from the virus.  Those people have significantly reduced chances at hospitalizations.  If the CDC really cared about the public, recoveries would be in the same category as vaxxed.

Mixing up different matrix's only clouds and causes confusion. The with/from argument is one I have made myself, still does not invalidate other data that points to harm reduction. Two separate issues that should not be conflated. They have merits on their own.   

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Schools still require other vaccines. Maybe when that requirement goes away 

No, they  don't. Plenty of people without  MMR and we have PLENTY of 20-somethings not getting the vax. My university which is in San Diego loves brining in students from Tijuana. All our our mumps cases have been from them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

No, they  don't. Plenty of people without  MMR and we have PLENTY of 20-somethings not getting the vax. My university which is in San Diego loves brining in students from Tijuana. All our our mumps cases have been from them.

Grade schools 

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

Wrong. I know plenty of parents who have their kids in private schools, some Christian based, some charter, no vax mandate, even in public schools. The vax rate of k-12 kids in San Diego is about 67%

It a state by state thing. 

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The reality is Carnival can require vaccines forever if they choose. There is no right to cruise. 

And there is no requirement for people to cruise on a specific line -- anyone, not just Carnival -- that has mandates they'd prefer not to comply with (masking, vaccination, boosters, whatever).   

There's a give-and-take, here.  Cruise lines and their customers will have to strike a balance.  And that's exactly as it should be.  

• Like 3

Israel has led the way in many aspects with covid.  They were pre curve in many aspects as well.  They also now accept non vaccinated travelers.  The US will not follow for a TON of reasons, but the ops question is an interesting one.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, goracer6 said:

Our family was hoping to cruise soon but the cruise vaccine mandates are making it nearly impossible to cruise with kids that have not had the shot. It seems that cruising is the only place I am aware of that still requires proof. Since restaurants, schools, hotels, airlines, and amusement parks do not require proof, do the cruise lines follow soon? 

Just seeing if anyone had any insight on the possibility of the cruise lines lifting the requirement. 

Cheers and sail on friends! 

I think the bigger question is whether they drop vaccinations for the children.  My opinion is that they will keep the vax requirements for the adults for the rest of the year.  With the kids, I'm not so sure.  I think I just read the pfizer vax was only 12% effective against omicron in that age group, so almost completely ineffective.  I think it will disappear for the kids long before adults, but only my opinion.  I really have no idea!

• Like 2

Honestly, as a parent of children who are ineligible for the vaccine, I wish they would. This whole you cannot get off the ship without a tour just sucks. I mean we’re going, we’ll play by the rules, but I don’t love it. If they have a negative PCR before boarding I think it’s overkill at this point. 
For the record, I’m a vaccinated health care worker who’s busted her booty taking care of covid patients through this whole pandemic. So I completely empathize with both sides. But the vaccine isn’t preventing you from spreading or getting covid. Yes it’s minimizing the Illness in those who are vaccinated, but I just don’t believe the science is there. Especially for young children. But I don’t have the choice to get my kids vaccinated even if I wanted to, which I’m still on the fence about. 

• Like 8

On 3/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, goracer6 said:

Our family was hoping to cruise soon but the cruise vaccine mandates are making it nearly impossible to cruise with kids that have not had the shot. It seems that cruising is the only place I am aware of that still requires proof. Since restaurants, schools, hotels, airlines, and amusement parks do not require proof, do the cruise lines follow soon? 

Just seeing if anyone had any insight on the possibility of the cruise lines lifting the requirement. 

Cheers and sail on friends! 

I'm literally praying for this every day. I'm thinking when the CDC evaluates the "Public emergency" in April the cruise industry will re-evaluate. (if it is dropped) I'm a nurse also working in inpatient and our count has gone from 100 COVID patients to about 8. 

• Like 5

When will any cruiseline eliminate vaccine mandates?

When the CDC and the countries that the cruiselines visit allow it.

Doesn't matter what any of our political opinions are. It's completely up to the governments involved and of course financial feasibility.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

When will any cruiseline eliminate vaccine mandates?

When the CDC and the countries that the cruiselines visit allow it.

Doesn't matter what any of our political opinions are. It's completely up to the governments involved and of course financial feasibility.

This. 100% this.

It is only going to matter when the CDC moves from Pandemic to Endemic.  The ports or other countries won't make a difference.  There are already unvaccinated passengers being let out a ports and Carnival just ended the bubble tours.