Dog at Dining Table & Skunk Pot on Balcony common issues?

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Except that the ship enters the waters of other countries where it is NOT legal.

And the user/transporter could find themselves in jail in a foreign country.

I was talking about the people at the Hilton.   FL isnt doing much at all to people who smoke weed in public, especially if they have a medical card 

Edited by ryano

29 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

How does a quiet dog sitting at another table affect your dinner?  It is not licking your plate or eating your food and it's horrible germs are not near you.  What affects your dining experience more - quiet dog at next table or guy with wife beater, shorts, flip-flops and backward ball cap? 

What affects your dining experience more - quiet dog at next table or guy with wife beater, shorts, flip-flops and backward ball cap? Heaven forbid, this totally and instantly changes the taste of my meal.

10 minutes ago, ryano said:

Ummm, thank you Captain Obvious but I was clearly talking about the people at the Hilton. Pot is legal medicinally in FL now.   The cops arent gonna do much if anything at all.    We all know that smoking anything on a cruise ship balcony is against the rules.  

I didn't quote you, nor intend to direct that at you specifically. It was a comment about the direction of the discussion in general. Many people have gotten bogged down in the discussion of legality.

5 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Wow.. You actually leaned over to the other balcony to take a picture? Dang

Your lucky you didnt get caught, it could have gotten ugly for you. Just saying!!

If i caught you taking a picture of our balcony you would be confronted immediately. Not to say "Hi" either.

What an entitled post.

"I am ok with  breaking the rules, but you better not take a picture of me breaking the rules or you will be sorry and it will get ugly for you."

Simple solution - don't break the rules and nobody will take a picture of you breaking the rules, especially a rule set up to protect the safety of all the passengers.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

While I do enjoy the chance to dress up on formal nights, and the business casual attire most other nights, I could care less about what other people wear as long as they don't smell terrible or disturb other tables with inappropriate behavior. I do have a problem with animals at the table though. I just don't think that humans and animals should be sharing the same table. You want to eat with your dog, go eat on the floor where you belong. 

Unfortunately for you, if Royal Caribbean or any other business has determined that the dog in question is a legit service dog, then you have no say whether the dog is at the table or not.  You can complain all your want, but unless the dog is being fed by the handler from the table, or is being unruly such as barking, growling or snapping, a legit service dog has every right to be there..

The OP never said the dog was eating from the table, only that the dog was in the handler's lap.  While technically, the dog should have been in the handler's arms, as a service dog is allowed to be on the floor or in the handler's arms, eating while holding your service dog is sometimes difficult and smaller service dogs sometimes have a reason to be up close to their handler and not on the floor.

It is sad that there has been so much abuse of the service dog privileges that everyone questions whether a dog is a service dog or is Baby that just cannot be left at home.

17 minutes ago, cured said:

What an entitled post.

"I am ok with  breaking the rules, but you better not take a picture of me breaking the rules or you will be sorry and it will get ugly for you."

Simple solution - don't break the rules and nobody will take a picture of you breaking the rules, especially a rule set up to protect the safety of all the passengers.

Entitled? Come on, if you have the nerve to lean over and take a picture of another passengers balcony (Whether wrong doing or not) then you get what you deserve, which is hopefully some bad karma!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cured said:

It is sad that there has been so much abuse of the service dog privileges that everyone questions whether a dog is a service dog or is Baby that just cannot be left at home.

This is true, however when I see the dog in a stroller or the Louis Vuitton tote bag on the pool deck being wheeled around or toted around by someone apparently seeking attention....I start asking questions.  Usually I start with the official ones.  Is this animal a service animal required by a disability?  What task is your service dog trained to do?  Curiously, the people who brought Baby the pet are often kind of honest and talk about how they much more they enjoy things with Baby along or how they can't leave Baby at home.  My follow up questions are not as nice....

Did you know your dog looks like a rat wearing a dress?

Oh...I saw your dog pooping on the pool deck.  Why is it not trained to use the official area for service dogs?

Why don't you carry plastic bags and clean up your dog's mess?

Sorry.  You can't escape the passionate issues of your  career, even in retirement.  I look back on all the years it took to get ADA signed into law in 1990.  It didn't just happen because Congress did the right thing.  Work began in 1974 after passage of Section 504 of the Rehab Act of 1973.  Some of us worked on it for decades with disability groups, state and national work teams, public hearings, and a whole lot of lobbying.  People who abuse the ADA are on my hit list.

I once had a Deaf boss.  He was a brilliant man, had 3 college degrees, and was well known nationally in the Deaf Community.  In the 80's when we traveled together I was his accommodation.  When we went to our hotel rooms at night, he gave me his key and the time he needed to wake up.  In the morning I would throw on some clothes, open his door and flash his lights on and off.  After 1990, this man finally achieved independence in hotels with the advent of flashing alarm clocks and door signalers.  The ADA was a game changer in many many ways.  Abusers tick me off.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

This is true, however when I see the dog in a stroller or the Louis Vuitton tote bag on the pool deck being wheeled around or toted around by someone apparently seeking attention....I start asking questions.  Usually I start with the official ones.  Is this animal a service animal required by a disability?  What task is your service dog trained to do?  Curiously, the people who brought Baby the pet are often kind of honest and talk about how they much more they enjoy things with Baby along or how they can't leave Baby at home.  My follow up questions are not as nice....

Did you know your dog looks like a rat wearing a dress?

Oh...I saw your dog pooping on the pool deck.  Why is it not trained to use the official area for service dogs?

Why don't you carry plastic bags and clean up your dog's mess?

Sorry.  You can't escape the passionate issues of your  career, even in retirement.  I look back on all the years it took to get ADA signed into law in 1990.  It didn't just happen because Congress did the right thing.  Work began in 1974 after passage of Section 504 of the Rehab Act of 1973.  Some of us worked on it for decades with disability groups, state and national work teams, public hearings, and a whole lot of lobbying.  People who abuse the ADA are on my hit list.

I once had a Deaf boss.  He was a brilliant man, had 3 college degrees, and was well known nationally in the Deaf Community.  In the 80's when we traveled together I was his accommodation.  When we went to our hotel rooms at night, he gave me his key and the time he needed to wake up.  In the morning I would throw on some clothes, open his door and flash his lights on and off.  After 1990, this man finally achieved independence in hotels with the advent of flashing alarm clocks and door signalers.  The ADA was a game changer in many many ways.  Abusers tick me off.

A dog in a stroller is not covered by the ADA's rule of floor or in handler's arms, so why wouldn't someone question it?  I would be/have been brutal with Baby in a stroller.  The only way we are going to stop the abuse is to educate the ones around us and to thoroughly embarrass the owners of the stroller and bag dogs 😂

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cured said:

A dog in a stroller is not covered by the ADA's rule of floor or in handler's arms, so why wouldn't someone question it?  I would be/have been brutal with Baby in a stroller.  The only way we are going to stop the abuse is to educate the ones around us and to thoroughly embarrass the owners of the stroller and bag dogs 😂

My comments earlier stem from seeing the dog that was mentioned in the OP. Stroller, dress, etc. Here is another good one I saw on Jewel OTS a few years back. Can't see how that is possibly defensible. If I ended up in that cabin on the next sailing I would have been miserable due to cat allergies. 

Cruise cat.jpg

Edited by MiniChunks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

What affects your dining experience more - quiet dog at next table or guy with wife beater, shorts, flip-flops and backward ball cap? Heaven forbid, this totally and instantly changes the taste of my meal.

2 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Jeez, the Karen's are still out in force on this...

If it's not DIRECTLY affecting you, get over it and have a good time already.

So it's OK for people to break or circumvent rules as long as it doesn't directly affect you.

Check.

I don't think anyone has any issues with legitimate service dogs. The issue many people, including myself, have is with people falsely claiming "service dog" status for their pet. Does it directly affect me? no. But it's the principal of the matter. There are rules. Just follow the damn rules, you're not that special, snowflake. As for the dining room specifically, I believe banning animals from food service establishments is usually even a law in most states, as there are hygiene issues with animals being where food is served. Obvious exceptions for (legitimate) service dogs.

Technically, Royal Caribbean bans swimwear in the main dining room, as they also ban pets. If someone's wearing swim trunks and a T-shirt in the main dining room, especially if the swim trunks look like short, that would actually bother me less than someone with their dog on their lap feeding and playing with it. But both are against the rules. A legitimate service dog will be laying quietly on the floor.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

How does a quiet dog sitting at another table affect your dinner?  It is not licking your plate or eating your food and it's horrible germs are not near you.  What affects your dining experience more - quiet dog at next table or guy with wife beater, shorts, flip-flops and backward ball cap? 

neither.  Im too busy offending people by looking at videos on my phone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

Jeez, the Karen's are still out in force on this...

If it's not DIRECTLY affecting you, get over it and have a good time already.

Perhaps you or a member of your family will understand when a disability hits you or a close loved one, as the odds say it will.  You might be find yourself becoming less judgmental when you or your loved one become a consumer of reasonable accommodations and you might understand the frustration and anger many of us have with abusers.

Of course I hope it doesn't happen to you, but it's always good to consider that you are personally only one accident away from a disability.  It might make you more compassionate.

Edited by foxgoodrich
grammar
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

Perhaps you or a member of your family will understand when a disability hits you or a close loved one, as the odds say you will.  You might be find yourself becoming less judgmental when you or your loved one becomes a consumer of reasonable accommodations and you might understand the frustration and anger many of us have with abusers.

Although I hope it doesn't happen to you, but it's always good to consider that you are personally only one accident away from a disability.  It might make you more compassionate.

Some of that weed might make you more compassionate too. 

Edited by LXdad
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, LXdad said:

Some of that weed might make you more compassionate too. 

?????  I have absolutely no issues with weed.  What would make you think I do?  To whom do I need to show more compassion?  Those who abuse the ADA?  

From personal current experience, as a cancer patient closing in on the last 2 weeks of my courses of Chemo and Radiation, I can attest to the fact that it is far more effective, for me at least, than Zofran or Compazine and has much less in the way of undesirable side effects.  Yes, I have a medical card, and both of my oncologists are huge proponents of what works to minimize the awful side effects of cancer treatment.

• Like 4