The Daily for Sunday 03/13/2022

richwmn

Today is K-9 Veterans Day, Ear Muff Day, and Jewel Day

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.--Dr. Seuss

Meal Suggestion for today - collard green wraps with curried tofu
Drink of the Day - Laphroaig Broadbay Sour
Wine of the Day - Best's 2018 Bin No 1 Shiraz (Great Western)
Destination of the Day - Huatulco, Mexico

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Zuiderdam   Destination Raiatea Island, Ut eta 3/17

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Key West, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam   09:00 - 18:30

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles

Nieuw Statendam   09:00 - 20:00

San Diego, California

Koningsdam   07:00 - 17:00

Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles

Eurodam   09:00 - 24:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Volendam   Destination Malaga, SP eta 3/18

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport, BS

Noordam  

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0313World.thumb.png.28622ff4b58d6a2aaca2d00260d2e376.png
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 14

Off for my walk.  I'll post more later:

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Buddy with pneumonia
Ukraine
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Welfare of furloughed crews
Marshhawk DH Dental pain
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights

From the rotation:
ger_77 DH awaiting pacemaker
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall and insurance  complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall    

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam in Everglades

rd0313.thumb.JPG.d49b497ce03d0c1358037be02a1cd0c8.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Happy Birthday Pauline
Welcome home Ottahand7
Bon Voyage  GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
3 days for Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam 3/16 to 4/ 6)
7 daus for Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3)
 kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16), Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19), DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Buddy with pneumonia
Ukraine
Marshhawk DH Dental pain

From the rotation:

Rotterdam in Everglades

6 BHB with passengers
Happy Birthday Pauline
Welcome home Ottahand7
3 days for Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam 3/16 to 4/ 6)
 kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16), Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19), DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for Pauline's birthday mention.

Graham.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  I'm late but that's because of the time change.😉

Interesting days. I'll give a treat to K9 vets.  I wear ear muffs sometimes in the winter.  I have a few pair that just fit over the ears without a head band.  Love jewels.

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Bertie and I will be heading out for our walk soon.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It was 37 degrees here this morning!  Not sure if we broke a record, but.  

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Bindi was quite confused by the darkness this morning. Luckily she did not want to dawdle in the cold. I have friends paying a surprise visit later today. They are passing through on their way home. I need to get my act together and get some stuff ready for them to munch on. 

Some random smiles….

F0D2213A-C139-4021-AB7B-C982D4298E11.jpeg.0fafac6fc4fd41a600ad69dac23a38c5.jpeg

C340FCCA-8110-47AB-AEC1-39FEA57CFD40.jpeg.89ee77e041e505b4b8192b8e2e056d56.jpeg

0FD49810-2444-4627-81CA-0FE939942063.jpeg.c98db6f3e3a77501c2dda770aa44cc77.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Best's 2018 Bin No 1 Shiraz
Shiraz is another wine that I need be sure to taste before having a glass. Some of them I enjoy immensely. Others - not so much. Today’s wine has excellent reviews and a reasonable price. Several online distributors with prices starting at  $18.94.

Winemaker Notes

Deep violet red with a purple hue. Bouquet: Fresh blackberries and violets swathed in savory tones of black pepper, aniseed and dried herbs. Palate: Inviting mid-weighted dark fruit flavors dance around the palate and continue with fine grained tannins and length. This vibrant and finely structured wine is great to enjoy now with food but will soften and gain complexity over the next 10 years. Ideal to drink with a gamey meat dish and all the trimmings.

JS93
James Suckling

Distinctive, cool-climate aromas of red berries, pepper, toasted spices, bacon fat and cocoa, sitting in fresh, complex mode. The palate is elegant, fine and fresh with long, silky tannins delivering fresh red-plum and blackberry flavors. Silky finish

WE93
Wine Enthusiast

From one of Australia’s most treasured estates, this cool-climate Shiraz from western Victoria is a little meaty and mushroomy at first, the plum and currant fruit trailing just behind. It has cola-like polish from the oak influence and an underbelly of flowers and spices. Despite the fruit plushness on the palate, there’s still verve, freshness and a smudged charcoal texture to the powerful tannins. Drink now–2025.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 13

Good afternoon.

It is sunny now after a rain shower earlier.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for today's lists with Pauline's birthday mention.

Interesting days and quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20220313_105456.jpg

IMG-20220313-WA0002.jpg

Screenshot_20220313_124412.jpg

Screenshot_20220313_124531.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

I'll need the earmuffs here in northeastern Ohio this morning.  It was 11F when I got up.  It is supposed to warm up, thankfully, later in the day.  And tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 50s.  I'll take that!

Today's meal is a pass for me.   One recipe had nutritional information and one serving was 880 calories and 100 g of carbohydrate.  That's my allowance for the day on carbs.  But, others may enjoy it.  There is one variation that I might like and if I left the rice or grains out, it could be ok.  

This recipe doesn't have the starch in it, but the coconut milk would probably do me in.  It sounds good, though.  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/collard-green-wraps-with-curried-tofu

906290517_collardgreenwrapswithcurriedtofu1.jpg.5a148c3e953812b7633fc9569e594451.jpg

Collard greens are very high in nutrition.  I have cooked them up with some bacon and vinegar dressing and enjoyed them.   I'll need to stick with that.   https://www.purplecarrot.com/plant-based-recipes/curried-tofu-collard-wraps-with-quinoa-speckled-rice-chile

1540479186_collardgreenwrapswithcurriedtofu2.thumb.jpg.f2b69fa4c1fddee932762ac8d655f73c.jpg

You can add any ingredients to a collard green wrap – anything you would normally throw in a wheat wrap or on a sandwich, pile it onto the green. The ultimate collard green wrap combo = protein + more veggies + grain (brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc.) + sauce.  You can skip the grain if you wish.  You can use chicken instead of tofu.  You can use a sauce that is not so high in sugar.   All sorts of things that can be done to tailor a collard green wrap to your tastes and needs.   https://karalydon.com/recipes/collard-green-wraps-with-tofu-and-thai-peanut-sauce/

Collard-Green-Wraps-with-Tofu-and-Thai-Peanut-Sauce-3.jpg.fa6440c4737213e6e1fa1deccc9a91ab.jpg

I'm probably having my staple fish and vegetables tonight.  I stopped by the grocery store on Friday to stock up due to the unpleasant weather that was forecast for this weekend.

Prayers for all who need them,  especially Ukraine.  Prayers that the burden Jacqui is carrying is lightened.   Prayers for all our Dailyites, even if they are doing well.  A few extra prayers don't hurt!   Cheers to all who are celebrating, like Pauline!   Happy birthday, Pauline @grapau27

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.efb586cecf55cde6635dd915714dbfcd.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning from the Nieuw Amsterdam! No Key West port today since the seas were too rough. Darn it…

love the collection of days. I was at a funeral for a K9 and it was heart wrenching. Those dogs are awesome. 

I will never cruise again around spring break. There are so many rowdy kids and their parents aren’t controlling them. The little buggers are even all over the Sea View pool 😡. Too many younger people on board who are noisy and it seems quite crowded. I had told my son about how wonderful and quiet HAL ships are. So embarrassing. 

We have great table mates for dinner, but there were kids running around which ruined the experience. Bah humbug. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning from a cool and overcast day at the beach

Crazy weather here lately. Heavy rain and winds and now a really cool day. 

The Golf tournament on Friday had to be postponed due to the weather and course conditions. We went ahead with the dinner because it was catered and we had no choice. That was great, went really well.  So the golfing part of it is rescheduled until this Friday. So we spent yesterday, re-arranging tee times and foursomes. After golf, we will meet in the clubhouse at the Country Club for drinks and awards. 

Today, I am volunteering at a library event. It is an annual fundraiser event and it has not been held for the past 2 years due to covid. THere will be bands, food trucks and we will sell used books. It usually makes a lot of money, but todays weather is not the best. We will see. After this, I am done! 

@grapau27 A very Happy Birthday to Pauline! May she celebrate many more.

Prayers for everyone on the list and those who are not.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from St. Kitts. We have the train ride excursion this morning but in the meantime it’s coffee Al fresco! 

looks like it’s going to be another beautiful day and less windy.

We enjoyed pre dinner libations and tapas with @KirkNCand wife in the Living Room (Crow’s Nest) then both of us enjoyed steak Diane dinners in Prime C. No cost to suite guest otherwise $30.00 per person.

Tonight is White Night and the big celebration around pool. Most folks dress in white, dine on BBQ and grilled lobster, ribs and gastronomic delights. Dance, Congo Lines. Not sure how Azamara does this uses Webber grills and Hal can’t?

Ended our night enjoying the new song and dance crew.

No towel animals and petit fours at night versus chocolate’s.

Off to get me a warm donut for dunking!

Thanks to all.

image.thumb.jpeg.5f29be1940436ce4470c8a4635f04f60.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

Good morning  to all.It is 22 now but a high of 36 is expected. The sidewalks were a little icy but the snow from yesterday  is mostly on the grass.

Our executive  chef decided on a different  

meal today.We are making vegetarian  lasagna which will make everyone  happy.The veggie burgers were a big hit but a fair amount of work. 

I salute all the days and have not been to the port.

@grapau27,Pauline the birthday celebrator ,looks beautiful in her red outfit with the umbrella..

Take care everyone 

Terry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Had a great time snorkeling in Huatulco the last week of February.  The bay was like swimming in an aquarium.  Unfortunately, the only photos I took were of the ship as we passed it on the snorkel boat.57392B5D-3716-4EFF-9695-9D8AFDAE1267.thumb.jpeg.f48a9247ba0a2f376fc3fa8348e498ae.jpeg

541EAB80-C519-428D-B92B-A57841E822F7.thumb.jpeg.ced36e3240c56b53e546bea965bcf066.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Buddy with pneumonia
Ukraine
Marshhawk DH Dental pain

From the rotation:

Rotterdam in Everglades

6 BHB with passengers
Happy Birthday Pauline
Welcome home Ottahand7

Roy

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

@grapau27

Happy Birthday, Pauline! Welcome to a new decade! May your new year be filled with laughter, love, great health & a cruise or two!

0F66C815-888C-4598-85F2-97E30AFBF8F1.jpeg.a5f475716b14fc98a4ca86287b04b83a.jpeg

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27Happy Birthday Pauline!🎂

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

I'll need the earmuffs here in northeastern Ohio this morning.  It was 11F when I got up.  It is supposed to warm up, thankfully, later in the day.  And tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 50s.  I'll take that!

Today's meal is a pass for me.   One recipe had nutritional information and one serving was 880 calories and 100 g of carbohydrate.  That's my allowance for the day on carbs.  But, others may enjoy it.  There is one variation that I might like and if I left the rice or grains out, it could be ok.  

This recipe doesn't have the starch in it, but the coconut milk would probably do me in.  It sounds good, though.  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/collard-green-wraps-with-curried-tofu

906290517_collardgreenwrapswithcurriedtofu1.jpg.5a148c3e953812b7633fc9569e594451.jpg

Collard greens are very high in nutrition.  I have cooked them up with some bacon and vinegar dressing and enjoyed them.   I'll need to stick with that.   https://www.purplecarrot.com/plant-based-recipes/curried-tofu-collard-wraps-with-quinoa-speckled-rice-chile

1540479186_collardgreenwrapswithcurriedtofu2.thumb.jpg.f2b69fa4c1fddee932762ac8d655f73c.jpg

You can add any ingredients to a collard green wrap – anything you would normally throw in a wheat wrap or on a sandwich, pile it onto the green. The ultimate collard green wrap combo = protein + more veggies + grain (brown rice, quinoa, millet, etc.) + sauce.  You can skip the grain if you wish.  You can use chicken instead of tofu.  You can use a sauce that is not so high in sugar.   All sorts of things that can be done to tailor a collard green wrap to your tastes and needs.   https://karalydon.com/recipes/collard-green-wraps-with-tofu-and-thai-peanut-sauce/

Collard-Green-Wraps-with-Tofu-and-Thai-Peanut-Sauce-3.jpg.fa6440c4737213e6e1fa1deccc9a91ab.jpg

I'm probably having my staple fish and vegetables tonight.  I stopped by the grocery store on Friday to stock up due to the unpleasant weather that was forecast for this weekend.

Prayers for all who need them,  especially Ukraine.  Prayers that the burden Jacqui is carrying is lightened.   Prayers for all our Dailyites, even if they are doing well.  A few extra prayers don't hurt!   Cheers to all who are celebrating, like Pauline!   Happy birthday, Pauline @grapau27

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.efb586cecf55cde6635dd915714dbfcd.jpg

45 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a cool and overcast day at the beach

Crazy weather here lately. Heavy rain and winds and now a really cool day. 

The Golf tournament on Friday had to be postponed due to the weather and course conditions. We went ahead with the dinner because it was catered and we had no choice. That was great, went really well.  So the golfing part of it is rescheduled until this Friday. So we spent yesterday, re-arranging tee times and foursomes. After golf, we will meet in the clubhouse at the Country Club for drinks and awards. 

Today, I am volunteering at a library event. It is an annual fundraiser event and it has not been held for the past 2 years due to covid. THere will be bands, food trucks and we will sell used books. It usually makes a lot of money, but todays weather is not the best. We will see. After this, I am done! 

@grapau27 A very Happy Birthday to Pauline! May she celebrate many more.

Prayers for everyone on the list and those who are not.

Stay safe and enjoy today

23 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@grapau27 Happy birthday, Pauline 🥳358F6EC5-75FB-4585-9BBC-A5019B33E71F.jpeg.609fe85bcc9c5101938ba51b34a162dd.jpeg

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all.It is 22 now but a high of 36 is expected. The sidewalks were a little icy but the snow from yesterday  is mostly on the grass.

Our executive  chef decided on a different  

meal today.We are making vegetarian  lasagna which will make everyone  happy.The veggie burgers were a big hit but a fair amount of work. 

I salute all the days and have not been to the port.

@grapau27,Pauline the birthday celebrator ,looks beautiful in her red outfit with the umbrella..

Take care everyone 

Terry

Pauline said Thank you to all our Daily friends who wished her a happy birthday.

Graham

IMG-20220313-WA0001.jpg

Screenshot_20220313_135748_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is sunny now after a rain shower earlier.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for today's lists with Pauline's birthday mention.

Interesting days and quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20220313_105456.jpg

IMG-20220313-WA0002.jpg

Screenshot_20220313_124412.jpg

Screenshot_20220313_124531.jpg

Happy birthday to the always lovely Pauline!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a frigid Boston.  We definitely need the earmuffs today, it’s hard to believe that two weeks ago we were basking in the sun on Half Moon Cay.  Also acknowledging K-9 vets and jewels.  The cruise was definitely not lacking in the ability to purchase jewels!  Great quote by Dr. Suess.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion although I do like collard greens.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events 🍻

• Like 21

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I have great respect for K-9 veterans; they are amazing animals and deserve a day of their own.  I had ear muffs on just the other day when clearing our driveway; I like the kind that just go behind your head and cover your ears, rather than the type that go over your head.  Jewel Day - hmmm, maybe today's the day to take a look at my jewelery collection and see what I haven't worn in a long while, and give them some wear time.  

I'm going to give the drink of the day a pass; although I enjoy drinking Scotch, I find Laphroaig just too peaty for my taste.  That along with sherry (ugh) doesn't appeal at all.   The wine on the other hand - who could pass up a wine that has notes of bacon fat?  LOL

Yesterday DH was getting antsy just being around the house, so we went for a drive to a bedroom community where they have a neat thrift shop operated by a Mennonite group.  There he was able to find some pins for his pin collection, and while not at the thrift shop, I did pick up some blue and yellow flowers at the dollar store.  When we got home, I took out our Christmas wreaths, ripped off the red and green pom poms and replaced them with the flowers to show our support for the people of Ukraine.  Here's one of them.

Wreath.thumb.jpg.bc315642ab8df761c854ca7777b16ddb.jpg

Happy Birthday to @grapau27's DW Pauline, with many returns of the day.

Collard greens and tofu have never been on our menu plan, and I don't think there's much hope of them ever appearing.  LOL  Yesterday while we were out, we picked up some groceries, among them was a jar of Tikka Masala sauce - so it's looking like we'll be having chicken tikka masala, rice, and a cucumber salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all those who are helping them.  Extra also for Jose, Jacqui, Marley, and all our Daily-ites who are having health problems.  We'll raise our glasses and cheer on all who make up the happy list.  Stay well, get your boosters, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, be safe, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1