Which terminal

40 minutes ago, Ned49 said:

Does anybody know where P&O Explorer sails from? Never done a P&O before but couldn’t resist the June sailing.

Fairly sure P&O Pacific Explorer sailed under the bridge when she was Dawn Princess.   I read somewhere that Pacific Adventure is having its funnel shortened so it can fit under the bridge when it sails October.   Sorry don't remember where I saw it.   Could be FB.    Please correct me anyone if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

Fairly sure P&O Pacific Explorer sailed under the bridge when she was Dawn Princess.   I read somewhere that Pacific Adventure is having its funnel shortened so it can fit under the bridge when it sails October.   Sorry don't remember where I saw it.   Could be FB.    Please correct me anyone if I am wrong.

There were a few people saying this two years ago after I noted that neither Adventure or Encounter would fit under the bridge.

Nobody ever came up with a source for this, and as far as I know, it hasn't happened, so both these ships will be docking at the OPT when in Sydney.

Explorer, on the other hand could dock at either.

• Like 2

By general numbers, Encounter & Adventure would need to lose around 3.5 metres from their height to fit under the bridge. They have already been drydocked for P&O, and they have not cut down the cowl and funnel, not lowered the forward comms mast, and not removed Skywalkers. When these ships were originally announced, they were exclusively booked into OPT.

Yes, Explorer could be assigned either berth. At this stage, P&O has not announced the berth for any of these return to service cruises, and Sydney Ports is unlikely to display their cruise schedule page until after April 17th.

P&O would surely like to show off the ship at OPT for the resumption, but that would depend on whether Vivid has control of the passenger terminal for 27th May - 18th June.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

By general numbers, Encounter & Adventure would need to lose around 3.5 metres from their height to fit under the bridge. They have already been drydocked for P&O, and they have not cut down the cowl and funnel, not lowered the forward comms mast, and not removed Skywalkers. When these ships were originally announced, they were exclusively booked into OPT.

Yes, Explorer could be assigned either berth. At this stage, P&O has not announced the berth for any of these return to service cruises, and Sydney Ports is unlikely to display their cruise schedule page until after April 17th.

P&O would surely like to show off the ship at OPT for the resumption, but that would depend on whether Vivid has control of the passenger terminal for 27th May - 18th June.

OPT would like the berthing fees too .

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:11 AM, Hogbay said:

OPT would like the berthing fees too .

I believe the NSW government fees are the same at either terminal, based on time and number of passengers. The money falls into the same pockets whichever is used.

P&O has come out today and promoted a letter of intent with NSW ports to use cold ironing at White Bay. It comes across as really strange, considering it will only happen while Pacific Explorer is in town, and there is no mention of any plans to do the same at OPT.

That would hint they intend to use White Bay for Pacific Explorer.

Cold ironing,[1] or shore connection, shore-to-ship power (SSP) or alternative maritime power (AMP), is the process of providing shoreside electrical power to a ship at berth while its main and auxiliary engines are turned off. Cold ironing permits emergency equipment, refrigeration, cooling, heating, lighting and other equipment to receive continuous electrical power while the ship loads or unloads its cargo. Shorepower is a general term to describe supply of electric power to ships, small craft, aircraft and road vehicles while stationary.

300px-PxKohliColdIron.jpg
Cold ironing schematic

Cold ironing is a shipping industry term that first came into use when all ships had coal-fired engines. When a ship tied up at port there was no need to continue to feed the fire and the iron engines would literally cool down, eventually going completely cold, hence the term cold ironing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cold ironing,[1] or shore connection, shore-to-ship power (SSP) or alternative maritime power (AMP), is the process of providing shoreside electrical power to a ship at berth while its main and auxiliary engines are turned off. Cold ironing permits emergency equipment, refrigeration, cooling, heating, lighting and other equipment to receive continuous electrical power while the ship loads or unloads its cargo. Shorepower is a general term to describe supply of electric power to ships, small craft, aircraft and road vehicles while stationary.

300px-PxKohliColdIron.jpg
Cold ironing schematic

Cold ironing is a shipping industry term that first came into use when all ships had coal-fired engines. When a ship tied up at port there was no need to continue to feed the fire and the iron engines would literally cool down, eventually going completely cold, hence the term cold ironing

Thank you, interesting.

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

P&O has come out today and promoted a letter of intent with NSW ports to use cold ironing at White Bay. It comes across as really strange, considering it will only happen while Pacific Explorer is in town, and there is no mention of any plans to do the same at OPT.

That would hint they intend to use White Bay for Pacific Explorer.

I think I remember reading that cold ironing was not possible at the OPT due to its location and prohibitive costs etc . 
It is a bit of a contradiction that P&O come out in support of the idea and at the same time introducing bigger ships to their fleet that are not capable of using White Bay.

8 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I think I remember reading that cold ironing was not possible at the OPT due to its location and prohibitive costs etc . 
It is a bit of a contradiction that P&O come out in support of the idea and at the same time introducing bigger ships to their fleet that are not capable of using White Bay.

Yes, touche.

In thinking what ships from all lines will be able to access White Bay, I smelled a fair bit of spin in that announcement. Of the ships that are based or doing seasons here, I guess Dora the Explorer is about it - and she will be cruising from all over the country.

Hmm, I wonder if Enchantment of the Seas will fit under the bridge? Rhapsody always berthed at OPT, but I wonder if that was just out of choice.

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, touche.

In thinking what ships from all lines will be able to access White Bay, I smelled a fair bit of spin in that announcement. Of the ships that are based or doing seasons here, I guess Dora the Explorer is about it - and she will be cruising from all over the country.

Hmm, I wonder if Enchantment of the Seas will fit under the bridge? Rhapsody always berthed at OPT, but I wonder if that was just out of choice.

No , Radiance will not fit under the bridge and neither will Enchantment. Of the major cruise lines/ vessels that home port or call regularly into Sydney there are relatively few that can berth at White Bay. 

40 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

No , Radiance will not fit under the bridge and neither will Enchantment. Of the major cruise lines/ vessels that home port or call regularly into Sydney there are relatively few that can berth at White Bay. 

I know Radiance won't.

I mentioned Rhapsody. Enchantment as a lengthened vision class sister is not as tall as Radiance. Not saying it will fit, but everybody it seems was saying that Oosterdam couldn't fit under the bridge either, but did.

Noordam is a Vista class ship and I know it fits under the bridge because I was on it when it did. So I assume that the other Vista class ships can.

Such as Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Arcadia, Noordam, Queen Victoria, Costa Luminosa, Queen Elizabeth and Costa Deliziosa.

15 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Noordam is a Vista class ship and I know it fits under the bridge because I was on it when it did. So I assume that the other Vista class ships can.

Such as Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Arcadia, Noordam, Queen Victoria, Costa Luminosa, Queen Elizabeth and Costa Deliziosa.

And how often do those ships come to Sydney?

46 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I know Radiance won't.

I mentioned Rhapsody. Enchantment as a lengthened vision class sister is not as tall as Radiance. Not saying it will fit, but everybody it seems was saying that Oosterdam couldn't fit under the bridge either, but did.

Sorry,  misread your post, but Rhapsody would not fit under the bridge either. Yes Oosterdam did but like many other ships, do not call here …….I used to have hair but not any more 😂😂 The cruise lines seem to be building bigger ships and apart from the smaller “ boutique” lines and they all want the “ prestige” of going to the OPT…White Bay is not the most “convenient “ terminal to operate from.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Read the SMH article on the other thread, it's not just for White Bay.

So a handful of cruise ships and couple of bulk concrete carriers that would not produce anywhere near the pollution of a cruise ship. Meanwhile tens of thousands of cars and trucks pass by every day.Its a bit like Australia produces bugger all “pollution” compared to the rest of the world but we are held responsible for fixing the perceived  mess. 🤑🤑🤑🤑

• Like 1