Question about Edge class

Dar & Bob

We are booked on the Edge in April and actually thinking about booking the Apex for next year.  We are booked in an Aft veranda and my question - is there a stairway at the rear of the ship.  I realize there are no elevators but I was curious if there is a stairwell.  I read a review that someone mentioned that the DW didn't want to take the stairs after drinking so they had to go the center of the ship for the elevators.  Of course I can't find that post now 🙂

3 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Have you checked out the deck plan?

Yes of course I did, not any stairs showing but as I said I read one review in particular that implied there might be.  I am looking for someone who has stayed in the aft and actually knows

3 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

Have you checked out the deck plan?

29 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Yes of course I did, not any stairs showing but as I said I read one review in particular that implied there might be.  I am looking for someone who has stayed in the aft and actually knows

No disrespect here .  . .  looking at the deck plan, where do you think there's another set of public stairs besides the ones next to the two elevator banks?  Isn't the purpose of a deck plan to show just these sorts of things? 

00-AnDBmgxzWX57XBG2JMEg9XYDZmy54-a0FwMsKoVxOUeTc4adt-9Ewp6G2Q7coFNxVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647743032

• Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 3/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, Dar & Bob said:

We are booked on the Edge in April and actually thinking about booking the Apex for next year.  We are booked in an Aft veranda and my question - is there a stairway at the rear of the ship.  I realize there are no elevators but I was curious if there is a stairwell.  I read a review that someone mentioned that the DW didn't want to take the stairs after drinking so they had to go the center of the ship for the elevators.  Of course I can't find that post now 🙂

I had the same question, (even after looking at the deck plans.) I am very surprised (and somewhat uneasy staying aft verandah that there is no stairway back there…

12 minutes ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Because, being in the aft on a high deck with no quick egress to lifeboats or lower decks in case of emergency or fire surprises me. I would have thought there would be requirements for aft stairs for a faster evacuation of the hallways

There are likely stairs that in non-emergencies are crew only but would be opened to be used by passengers in the unlikely event of an emergency. At least there have been on all the other ships I've been on.

• Like 1

There are emergency stairs forward, mid and aft throughout the ships for evacuations as needed. there are fire doors that isolate various sections and stairs within each section. 

During many emergencies, the elevators wouldn’t be operable. There is No section of the ship that is particularly ‘safer’. Yes someone who cant get from one deck to another via stairs will need assistance, which they have in each stairwell, but it might be easier for them being in a lower deck. But not necessarily fwd, mid or aft. And being on a lower deck isn’t necessarily the best spot because it depends on the type of emergency issue. 

Yes, need to be aware of what to do if there are ‘issues’, but I don’t think planning on what is ‘handier’ to get to a lifeboat is something I’d put as a calculation of where my SR is. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

12 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Yes, need to be aware of what to do if there are ‘issues’, but I don’t think planning on what is ‘handier’ to get to a lifeboat is something I’d put as a calculation of where my SR

If this is for me, that’s not what happened. I am happy with the SV and was not planning its location for emergencies. I was just very surprised looking at the deck plans that there were no stairs back there and wondering how that flow of traffic would work in an emergency. Knowing that there are stairs that are not on the deck plan explains it. Although, it does seem that those should be on the plan- even if marked Emergency or Crew Only.  I have been a mother, a teacher and now a church Youth group leader for decades. It has always been part of my responsibility to know how to get all those people to a place of safety should an emergency occur. It is ingrained now in the way my mind works.  

Look, there are no stairs for Normal Daily use aft, but there are emergency exits that are used by crew for their work and would be used by passengers during an emergency. The stairs are behind the ‘Crew Only’ doors which have ‘Emergency Only’ markings. crew will be stationed there to guide us and assist as needed including special chairs to transport those with issues. 

the aft is just as safe as any other section. 

den

• Like 1