Taking an ebike on a cruise

Bizziecruzer

Hi. Does anyone know if it's possible to take an ebike on a Princess Cruise? I accept that we would have to store them in our cabin and this should work as they are folding bikes and we have a mini suite so more room than other cabins. Also 2 of the 3 ports require tenders. Thanks on advance for your responses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Hi. Does anyone know if it's possible to take an ebike on a Princess Cruise? I accept that we would have to store them in our cabin and this should work as they are folding bikes and we have a mini suite so more room than other cabins. Also 2 of the 3 ports require tenders. Thanks on advance for your responses.

I asked onboard once, and sadly was told no.   But I would email customerrelations@princesscruises.com and ask them. Of course, if you get a positive answer PRINT IT OUT. 

I love my ebike, I love bicycles but I'm not as spry as I once was and that little bit of help uphill or into the wind keeps me going. 

The 3 H's of ebikes: HILLS, HEADWINDS, and HURRYUP.

It would be very difficult to take an ebike on a tender. You typically need both hands to steady yourself. So you would have to be passing it back and forth on unstable ground. And you would have to lift it up and over the stairs, while the stairs are moving. So depending on the weight that could be dangerous.

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

It would be very difficult to take an ebike on a tender. You typically need both hands to steady yourself. So you would have to be passing it back and forth on unstable ground. And you would have to lift it up and over the stairs, while the stairs are moving. So depending on the weight that could be dangerous.

Thanks for your answer. It would be in its carry bag. I would imagine no different to people taking suitcases ashore. I have also seen full size bikes.

Edited by Bizziecruzer

2 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Thanks for your answer. It would be in its carry bag. I would imagine no different to people taking suitcases ashore. I have also seen full size bikes.

People don’t typically carry suitcases on tenders. Just pointing out that this isn’t like boarding a ferry. The boats are small and rock. A heavy suitcase would also be difficult to maneuver on and off a tender. I’ve been on tenders before where you literally had to time the ships rocking with the dock and practically jump to get off when there was a lot of current.

• Like 2

For tender ports, it seems to be more trouble than its worth.  Most ports have all sorts of sightseeing options available to guests.  I wouldn't be surprised if rental e-bikes are available in some areas.  Or mopeds.

Edit to add:  Just did an internet search for "rent e-bike at cruise port of call" and found lots of articles and ads.  Not sure if  I am allowed to refer to the site by name, but there is a site that Advises people on Trips that had many suggestions and thread posts.

Edited by JimmyVWine

@Bizziecruzer - we also love our ebikes (so much that we have 2 each - a commuter/trail bike for Florida and a fat tire one for the hills and unpaved roads in the Shenandoah Valley).  There are alternatives to bringing on your own ebike now.  Princess offers e-bike excursions in some ports (Curacao for one). DIY ebike rentals and/or guided tours are available in a growing number of ports.  In fact, our introduction to e-bikes was on a Norway cruise in June 2019.  My DB and SIL - avid bikers - rented e-bikes in Geiranger and had such a good time, we decided to join them on a guided e-bike tour in Tromso. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Nice catch.

Upcoming post here:  "I read bicycles are prohibited, does that apply to ME?"

I had seen bicycles being wheeled on and off Princess ships before.  So I asked security one day just after seeing bikes wheeled onboard.  I was told, passengers, no, crew yes.  Probably officers at that. 😁

4 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I had seen bicycles being wheeled on and off Princess ships before.  So I asked security one day just after seeing bikes wheeled onboard.  I was told, passengers, no, crew yes.  Probably officers at that. 😁

Typically, there are communal crew bikes on the ships, and used almost exclusively by the crew.  Officers have little time to go ashore.

4 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

I had read that a Princess captain would bring his Harley-Davidson motorcycle on board for port transportation.

I believe that is an RCI Captain.

1 hour ago, EDDY0827 said:

Here is a video from a Celebrity cruise.  They loaded what looks like more than a dozen m/c. Rode them right up the ramp and secured them in chocks.  This was an excursion through the ship.

I have seen this on RCI, where it was a motorcycle group who did a partial charter.

6 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Yes, I have seen that as well.  And was told the same thing: crew use only.  (Read as "liability"!)

• Like 2