Blogging from the Ruby Princess

PescadoAmarillo

10 hours ago, Joy_K said:

Only thing I have asked for and can't get is soft kleenex and we have a friend picking up some tomorrow when we get to Hawaii.

I'm glad that your other needs are being met!  Their Kleenex simulator is the worst.  Wishing you both well and I'm also sending good thoughts that your next test is negative.

13 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I also truly believed that if I tested positive during my cruise I would be well taken care of. These reports are showing this is not the case! I wonder if it is unique to this ship or the fact that there are many cases and the staff are overwhelmed, or is this just simply the way it is! 

Last month on the Emerald, the 16 hrs we spent in isolation were the worst!  I can not imagine spending days in isolation, eating cold food out of disposable cardboard containers, using wooden utensils, and plastic cups.

We were lucky to have been disembarked the following morning after testing positive on a b2b test.  The 5 days in hotel isolation were great in comparison.

I wish you all a speedy recovery and end to this situation!

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CAZephyr said:

Anyone know...Is a spouse given the option to go into isolation together is one is negative?

Yes, my wife was given the option to stay in our cabin because she tested negative.  We opted to go to isolation together and disembark the following morning in Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@PescadoAmarillo Thank you for posting about your situation onboard. Your posts and the other thread about the Covid situation on the Ruby are definitely eye opening. My DH and I were considering a possible future cruise in the Fall, but reading about ramifications if one or both of us tested positive is enough to put any cruise planning on hold.

If I were you, I would definitely be flying Delta first class home from Hawaii. At a certain age, comfort is the utmost concern - at least for us. 

Wishing you safe travels and a good recuperation for your hubby.

MJ

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CAZephyr said:

Anyone know...Is a spouse given the option to go into isolation together is one is negative?

Currently on the Ruby Princess, no. Joy faced that situation. 

It is really helpful to have someone on the ”outside” to gather up things from the cabin as they are needed and to advocate for you to Guest Services.

Quarantine/isolation is basically lockdown. Your health is not monitored unless you run into trouble. It’s not like being in the hospital. You are supposed to get a daily check in call from the Medical Department admin. That’s it.  

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

It is really helpful to have someone on the ”outside” to gather up things from the cabin as they are needed and to advocate for you to Guest Services.

Have you made a final decision?  Will you stay on the outside to advocate for G or are you heading home?  Hope you stay Covid free.

7 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Currently on the Ruby Princess, no. Joy faced that situation. 

Quarantine/isolation is basically lockdown. Your health is not monitored unless you run into trouble. It’s not like being in the hospital. You are supposed to get a daily check in call from the Medical Department admin. That’s it.  

Nothing to treat your symptoms?  Why don’t they give the anti viral pill, Paxlovid?

Liability?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Nothing to treat your symptoms?  Why don’t they give the anti viral pill, Paxlovid?

Liability?

There are quite a few drug interactions with Paxlovid so it can't just be prescribed without knowing a patient's medication list.  Paxlovid (EUA) oral Interactions with Other Medication (webmd.com)

My husband and I both came down with Covid after disembarking the Grand last Friday, and his doctor couldn't give him Paxlovid due to another medication he's taking.  

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Friday morning, April 1

I finally got dinner last night. I don’t know what happened. I thought I had a system going there. Then my lunch was never delivered and no one ever took my dinner order. Finally, about 5:30pm I called Guest Services and explained all that to whoever answered. He promised me he would order my dinner right then. I ordered some items from Crown Grill and he promised I would get them soon. I actually did. Today, there is no lunch in the dining room. I guess that means standard room service or I need to bring food back from the buffet. 

I am flying home tonight. Thank you to everyone who said that was the right thing to do. I felt better as soon as the decision was made. Internet was spotty overnight, but, when I checked other flights, I decided to keep the one I had booked. I could have flown nonstop in economy plus, but, frankly, I’m not sure I’m physically able to do that right now. I’m fairly exhausted and stressed. First class is the way to go tonight. 

I texted my husband throughout the night.  Sleep is elusive for both of us, I think. Finally, at 6:30am I presented myself at Guest Services. The admin manager was unavailable, so I went to the International Cafe for coffee and he met me standing by there. He needed a copy of my passport; I wanted a copy of my most recent test results, which he had ready for me. He said that was all he needed. There was a lot of “hurry up and wait”, but by 8am I had exited the ship, entered the terminal and talked to CBP.  As soon as that was done, I heard the “cleared by local authorities” announcement. First time I was ever the gatekeeper to that! I picked up a breakfast sandwich and returned to the cabin. 

I packed up a lot of items to have picked up for my husband. He will basically be on his own now, so I packed all of his toiletries and a few more clothes. 

I am going to stay in the cabin and rest today, and eventually shower and finish packing before taking Uber to the airport. We’ve spent so much time on Oahu in the past that there is nothing here I need to see or do. What I really need is to relax. I thought that’s what this cruise was for, but, from the time of the misplaced suitcase at SFO, it’s been anything but. 

Of course, it’s difficult not to look back and wonder what we could have done differently, but there really was no way to avoid this. My husband stayed masked and managed to stay safe on board for 45 days. He did all the right things. This latest strain of COVID is so virulent that it just swept through the ship. Those people who tested positive, were in quarantine for a couple of days on the ship and then 5 days in San Francisco were considerably luckier than anyone who tested positive at the beginning of this cruise. Ten days in quarantine when everything is a battle is truly a struggle. That’s what I am facing and that is why I’m flying home. 

It’s not worth it. Cruising right now is not worth it. Anyone on the ship is one nasal swab away from going through the same thing. I am following people in quarantine on other Princess ships on Facebook and it’s not good. I am reading the same stories over and over. Think this is a smooth, easy process?  No, it isn’t. The lack of communication is appalling. And anyone who cruises needs to be prepared to spend ten days locked in a cabin alone. Most people will escape unscathed, but it’s a very real possibility. 

I will quarantine at home for the remainder of ten days (this being day 3) and then take a PCR test to be sure I’m safe to go out. I think I have enough food in the house for another week and I don’t see snow in the forecast. It will be good to be home. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Yes, safe travels to you and get that rest you need.  Our best to G, hopes he does okay.  Thanks for letting us know what is really happening.  You cured me of my desire to cruise in the near future. Thanks so much. 

• Like 2

I applaud J. For doing what’s best for her, sharing the procedures and getting tested before her flight & intentions to quarantine at home z& get tested again.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Friday morning, April 1

I finally got dinner last night. I don’t know what happened. I thought I had a system going there. Then my lunch was never delivered and no one ever took my dinner order. Finally, about 5:30pm I called Guest Services and explained all that to whoever answered. He promised me he would order my dinner right then. I ordered some items from Crown Grill and he promised I would get them soon. I actually did. Today, there is no lunch in the dining room. I guess that means standard room service or I need to bring food back from the buffet. 

I am flying home tonight. Thank you to everyone who said that was the right thing to do. I felt better as soon as the decision was made. Internet was spotty overnight, but, when I checked other flights, I decided to keep the one I had booked. I could have flown nonstop in economy plus, but, frankly, I’m not sure I’m physically able to do that right now. I’m fairly exhausted and stressed. First class is the way to go tonight. 

I texted my husband throughout the night.  Sleep is elusive for both of us, I think. Finally, at 6:30am I presented myself at Guest Services. The admin manager was unavailable, so I went to the International Cafe for coffee and he met me standing by there. He needed a copy of my passport; I wanted a copy of my most recent test results, which he had ready for me. He said that was all he needed. There was a lot of “hurry up and wait”, but by 8am I had exited the ship, entered the terminal and talked to CBP.  As soon as that was done, I heard the “cleared by local authorities” announcement. First time I was ever the gatekeeper to that! I picked up a breakfast sandwich and returned to the cabin. 

I packed up a lot of items to have picked up for my husband. He will basically be on his own now, so I packed all of his toiletries and a few more clothes. 

I am going to stay in the cabin and rest today, and eventually shower and finish packing before taking Uber to the airport. We’ve spent so much time on Oahu in the past that there is nothing here I need to see or do. What I really need is to relax. I thought that’s what this cruise was for, but, from the time of the misplaced suitcase at SFO, it’s been anything but. 

Of course, it’s difficult not to look back and wonder what we could have done differently, but there really was no way to avoid this. My husband stayed masked and managed to stay safe on board for 45 days. He did all the right things. This latest strain of COVID is so virulent that it just swept through the ship. Those people who tested positive, were in quarantine for a couple of days on the ship and then 5 days in San Francisco were considerably luckier than anyone who tested positive at the beginning of this cruise. Ten days in quarantine when everything is a battle is truly a struggle. That’s what I am facing and that is why I’m flying home. 

It’s not worth it. Cruising right now is not worth it. Anyone on the ship is one nasal swab away from going through the same thing. I am following people in quarantine on other Princess ships on Facebook and it’s not good. I am reading the same stories over and over. Think this is a smooth, easy process?  No, it isn’t. The lack of communication is appalling. And anyone who cruises needs to be prepared to spend ten days locked in a cabin alone. Most people will escape unscathed, but it’s a very real possibility. 

I will quarantine at home for the remainder of ten days (this being day 3) and then take a PCR test to be sure I’m safe to go out. I think I have enough food in the house for another week and I don’t see snow in the forecast. It will be good to be home. 

I would say that the crew and ships in general are not up to the task of catering to quarantine   passengers, like they should be. Lack of staff, not high priority. It's a bit of crap shoot in getting covid onboard but be prepared for some not great service in isolation. As you say it's good if you have someone on the outside who can advocate for you in getting what you need.

• Like 2

Grace under fire. I truly hope that when the dust settles (a few weeks or months perhaps?), that you will post a clear and concise picture of how Princess SHOULD have handled this situation. They need to be held accountable for the continued problems surrounding positive covid onboard.

Take care and stay safe....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

I would say that the crew and ships in general are not up to the task of catering to quarantine   passengers, like they should be. Lack of staff, not high priority. It's a bit of crap shoot in getting covid onboard but be prepared for some not great service in isolation. As you say it's good if you have someone on the outside who can advocate for you in getting what you need.

2 different situations - 1 "G" who is positive and quarantined and 2 "J" who is NOT positive, but close contact ( still at least with some ship 'priviledges' , just not eating in public ) and is leaving the ship by her decision ...  and I understand the "G" is a big boy, been sailing solo, and seems more than capable of being his own 'advocate'

What kind of service is/has "G" been getting as far as food/drink delivery on a timely / hot / cold basis?

tough decision made for a spouse to leave their spouse in quarantine... 

j/s

flame broiled just rare please, not well done

• Like 3