Arcadia Jottings

wowzz

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

As I said previously I admire your fortitude not to have your holiday spoilt.  I have no idea what a cheese wheel is (and probably wouldn't want one!).  Regarding unknown wines, well I usually manage to find one I like, what I didn't enjoy was being sold a 12 bottle wine package before sailing only to have the vouchers refused in restaurants and bars because the staff were too busy to collect the bottles actually listed by P&O.  Not the staff's fault by any means but annoying and frustrating by any stretch of the imagination. I've already mentioned the frozen fish that turned up.

None of it the end of the world and not something I'd bother to bring to this forum unless I'm reading of others being decried for mentioning similar events. 

I would have been particularly angry about that treatment

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Much appreciated Graham. I’d almost forgotten the refund debacle 😂 Thankfully, we were quite lucky compared to most in that our refunds came through in a few months, but I recall it being a stressful time for everyone and P&O lost a lot of good will as a result.

Glad to see that you and Pauline are back on the high seas again and enjoying life, especially after your health scare a few years ago. I always find your comparisons with other cruise lines very interesting as we have (yet) to try any other cruise lines other than P&O (excluding 24 hours on two CMV ships and a tour of QM2). 

Thank you for your kind words Selbourne.

Graham 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've sort of lost track regarding complaining. Not sure if I am being accused of being a whiner or not !

My take on the current cruise is that there are lots of individual niggles, that in isolation are not that serious, and obviously maintenance is required on an ongoing basis.

My issue is that after two years, many of these niggles should have been rectified prior to return to service. Why are so many lifts not working? Why are no hot tubs available, etc.

If my point of view makes me a whinger so be it. I just think that P&O are taking advantage of their customers by not adequately preparing Arcadia.

@wowzz.

You make points that I'm sure most of us would make so certainly not whingeing.

There was plenty of time to fix all the issues you mention even with a limited crew on board during lockdown.

• Like 8

I think having contractors on board can affect the cruise experience at any time.

I remember on a 35 night cruise on Oceana to USA and Caribbean.  There were people working on the external paintwork for the entire time. I like to do turns round the prom deck, and there wasn't a single time during the day when I could walk the whole way round the prom deck, as it was always being roped off for work. Not to mention all the flakes of paint on the deck that were left behind.  Our table mates liked to spend a lot of time in their cabin, and a few times they were driven out by the banging noises that the contractors were making.

However, I still enjoyed the cruise, and there were some great ports to visit. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've sort of lost track regarding complaining. Not sure if I am being accused of being a whiner or not !

My take on the current cruise is that there are lots of individual niggles, that in isolation are not that serious, and obviously maintenance is required on an ongoing basis.

My issue is that after two years, many of these niggles should have been rectified prior to return to service. Why are so many lifts not working? Why are no hot tubs available, etc.

If my point of view makes me a whinger so be it. I just think that P&O are taking advantage of their customers by not adequately preparing Arcadia.

You give an accurate representation of what was happening on your cruise nobody could complain about that, as for your point about the ship they should have made some attempt to rectify the problems before you sailed.

We was on Britannia last October there was work taking place painting the tables and repairs to the hand rails but nothing intrusive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

I saw a show from Roy Locke at Warner's Bembridge Coast back in February. Agree that he's a great vocalist - and a nice guy too.

Yes, a great guy who was born in Germany then lived in Australia. He was an archaeologist who graduated from Auckland University before taking to the stage.

• Like 1

Just seen elsewhere that a someone  working on the ship before she left Southampton has contacted Legionnaires Disease. They are testing the areas tcould have been caught

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Legionaires come from taps and water systems that have not been much used or air conditioning?

My DH certainly got it through ship air conditioning - many years ago - and although very ill at the time made a complete recovery.  The cruise line insisted that no one else had had it, and it was because the aircon vent in our cabin wasn't working and someone came in to adjust it. His side of the bed was directly underneath.

• Like 1

You can actually drink water with legionella bacteria in and be fine the problem comes when you breathe it in after its airborne such as from air-con or the spray from a shower or tap i believe the shower is the most common cause in this uk as it develops in the shower hose.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Just seen elsewhere that a someone  working on the ship before she left Southampton has contacted Legionnaires Disease. They are testing the areas tcould have been caught

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Legionaires come from taps and water systems that have not been much used or air conditioning?

Correct

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/legionnaires-disease/

https://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/what-you-must-do.htm

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Yes, the Captain came on the tannoy and said extensive testing of water systems will be carried out, Letters will be delivered to our cabins tonight outlining everything. We are to keep the letter after we disembark to show to our doctors if we develop symptoms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Yes, the Captain came on the tannoy and said extensive testing of water systems will be carried out, Letters will be delivered to our cabins tonight outlining everything. We are to keep the letter after we disembark to show to our doctors if we develop symptoms.

1 minute ago, paulatsea said:

Cripes !

What were wowzz and myself saying about the plumbing?!

• Like 2

We had dust like this every day on Aurora after just a couple of hours in our own cabin and our iso cabin wouldn’t have thought it should be like this with their souped up air con🤷‍♂️ Also had grey water lots of days with some cabins having pure black water for days. One of our fellow pax with a medical background asked to be tested for Legionnaires but they wouldn’t do it. 

DA5510E0-FDBE-4AAA-9DF6-27BA5DE4653F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

My parents are also on this cruise and they feel the same as you. They had no heating for the first couple of days. They just don’t understand why any of this wasn’t checked beforehand. Like you said two years they have had to get all

the problems ironed out.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Saw her in the flesh when we went out this morning. Still there when we got back just now. That must be a good sign.

Looking at P&O website, the next available Arcadia cruise, once the current one returned, is May 20th.

Does that mean they are fully booked from 11April to 20May, or maybe cruises have been cancelled? Not seen anything to suggest that though. Is that a bit odd or am I reading too much into it following the Legionnaire’s situation?

32 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Looking at P&O website, the next available Arcadia cruise, once the current one returned, is May 20th.

Does that mean they are fully booked from 11April to 20May, or maybe cruises have been cancelled? Not seen anything to suggest that though. Is that a bit odd or am I reading too much into it following the Legionnaire’s situation?

It shows sold out for the next one.

18 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Ah, that explains that, thank you - would that take it up to May 20th then? 

Next one is until 01 may med

then Baltic to 17 may

then short break - me !!

then Norway 20 may

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1