Sailing as an unvaccinated passenger

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

Some adults CANNOT be vaccinated for health reasons, and can apply for a "vaccine accommodation".  

None of the ports I visited in the 3 weeks on the Vision required proof of vaccination, but they DID require masks be worn on the dock, in the terminal buildings, and inside businesses.  RCCL won't let you off the ship if you aren't wearing a mask.

Agree. I personally know of multiple UnVaxed Passengers that took Royal Cruises. It happens more then some realize. Was even a couple CC Members that mentioned it few months ago. Yes, as a percent of all Passengers its low. Either way doesnt bother me

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skywonder said:

Hopefully they remove the jab restriction soon.

I don’t see that happening anytime in the near future…. The 4th shot was just approved/recommended over people over 50.

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I don’t see that happening anytime in the near future…. The 4th shot was just approved/recommended over people over 50.

It may have been approved/recommended but everyone I've talked to is planning to wait.  That includes friends in their late 50's and 60s and my parents who are 84.  DH and I plan to wait til fall since it appears the vax will prob become annual so we'll do the flu and covid at the same time.  We've had the booster and are good to go for now.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BND said:

It may have been approved/recommended but everyone I've talked to is planning to wait.  That includes friends in their late 50's and 60s and my parents who are 84.  DH and I plan to wait til fall since it appears the vax will prob become annual so we'll do the flu and covid at the same time.  We've had the booster and are good to go for now.  

I don't think anecdotal evidence can be used to determine the popularity of the 4th booster on day 2 of eligibility.  Opposite of you, everyone I know is rushing to get the booster. My facebook is blowing up with "I got my booster."  One friend, who has a massive friend list due to her line of work, posted that she got her booster.  There are at least 100 replies under it of "me too." I got mine last month per dr recommendation and my husband got his today.  There was a line at Walgreens for the booster.

I think we will have to wait and see what the numbers are in a few weeks of how many have decided to get the booster or to wait 🙂

Edited by cured
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cured said:

I don't think anecdotal evidence can be used to determine the popularity of the 4th booster on day 2 of eligibility.  Opposite of you, everyone I know is rushing to get the booster. My facebook is blowing up with "I got my booster."  One friend, who has a massive friend list due to her line of work, posted that she got her booster.  There are at least 100 replies under it of "me too." I got mine last month per dr recommendation and my husband got his today.  There was a line at Walgreens for the booster.

I think we will have to wait and see what the numbers are in a few weeks of how many have decided to get the booster or to wait 🙂

I wasn't posting "anecdotal evidence".  I was reporting what everyone I know that I have talked about it has decided.  And, we plan to wait as do my friends and family that I have talked to.  I think you need to look up what "anecdotal evidence" means because that's not what I said.  I didn't make a statement about anyone that I don't know.  I stated what people I know have actually said.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 1:26 PM, 7680 said:

We have one person in our party of six who is unvaccinated. I see that you may do cruises from FL without a vaccine (as long as there is not a stop in Bahamas). Wondering what the on-board experience is like, from anyone who may have sailed in this manner. Thank you 

We just got off the Harmony on Sunday. Monday my husband started feeling sick. Tuesday he tested positive for covid. He was fully vaccinated and boosted. We drove to the port and never left the ship at any port. There were others on our sailing who tested positive after leaving. I would not sail unvaccinated.

Edited by OfcSupport
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Amen! And my half-Canadian husband agrees too! 😁

Quoting both you barbeyg and tree_skier…..the US never has to worry about being like Canada…..Canada is SO much better and way ahead!!   Worry your little minds about something more beneficial. 😭

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, BND said:

I got mine last Friday (am immuno compromised and so this is technically my booster aftet three full doses of Moderna). It’s the only reason I feel safe enough to cruise again. MxCatLady and I both got COVID in January after our three regular ones (they work at a Starbucks which hasn’t required customers wear masks in a while; they’ve had it twice so far). I am glad it protected us from super severe cases but was still no joke and we both still struggle with fatigue and cog fog. I hope they open up the 4th shot to more folks soon. The more folks can be protected, the better, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, atgood said:

You say “I would not sail unvaccinated.”  Why do you say that?   He still got Covid even after having the vax and booster.  

How about where an unvaccinated person sails and doesn’t get Covid? There’s not many unvaccinated adults each cruise, but there usually are a few (from Florida at any rate).  They have to test 3x for a cruise.  Two times before boarding and once on the last day.  

I personally know of situation where an unvaccinated person sat and stood next to a vaccinated person in the Flowrider line for multiple days.  At the end of the 6nt cruise, the vaccinated person tested positive for Covid (he was B2B and needed to test for his next cruise).  The unvaccinated person however, never got Covid.  That’s all I’m going to say about it.  

@xpcdoojk I’m a fan.  4th one it looks like.

I say that because the unvaccinated are more likely to get severe covid and/or require hospitalization. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, topnole said:

Do the Bahamas require vaccination now?   I think i just saw unvaccinated kids can get off the ships in the Bahamas?

I dont know about Nassau.  At Freeport, i saw 2 families prevented from leaving the ship citing local laws that require 100% vax.

4 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Oh it is coming and it will be here faster then many seem to think!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atgood said:

You say “I would not sail unvaccinated.”  Why do you say that?   He still got Covid even after having the vax and booster.  

How about where an unvaccinated person sails and doesn’t get Covid? There’s not many unvaccinated adults each cruise, but there usually are a few (from Florida at any rate).  They have to test 3x for a cruise.  Two times before boarding and once on the last day.  

I personally know of situation where an unvaccinated person sat and stood next to a vaccinated person in the Flowrider line for multiple days.  At the end of the 6nt cruise, the vaccinated person tested positive for Covid (he was B2B and needed to test for his next cruise).  The unvaccinated person however, never got Covid.  That’s all I’m going to say about it.  

@xpcdoojk I’m a fan.  4th one it looks like.

BINGO!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topnole said:

Vaccinated less infectious and for shorter duration?  That is far from settled

science and this seemingly varies with each variant.  So with the case of omicron, I’m not sure that it is true at

all.  And it isn’t necessarily the case that vaccinated are far less likely to get Covid.    

There are many moderating factors such as age and when you got vaccinated.  I’m not even sure there is a statistical difference in likelihood of infection between and unvaccinated person and someone who became fully vaccinated 12 months ago with no booster.  This is particularly true the older you are as antibodies wane faster for older people.  Add to this for 5-12 year olds, the vaccine proved to only have 12% efficacy against infection.  That means almost zero difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated in terms of get infection.  

Exactly, well said.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, knight2096 said:

Oh it is coming and it will be here faster then many seem to think!

Good luck with that theory!

These protocols are working and seems the majority of passengers want them to stay in place including me. Just look at the demand! All ships will be back to sailing by the end of April.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BND said:

I wasn't posting "anecdotal evidence".  I was reporting what everyone I know that I have talked about it has decided.  And, we plan to wait as do my friends and family that I have talked to.  I think you need to look up what "anecdotal evidence" means because that's not what I said.  I didn't make a statement about anyone that I don't know.  I stated what people I know have actually said.

That's literally what anecdotal evidence is. Unless you literally know thousands of people, you don't have a large enough sample size to be anything but anecdotal. To say nothing of the bias that may be in the sample size of you happened to know that many (a key factor in a sample size is random where the people you know often think similarly to you).

Anecdotal literally means personal accounts... which is exactly what "well my friends are doing X" is. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BND said:

You obviously don't know me, my family or any of my friends. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Glad you're not part of our family planning process.  How dare you be mindful of others personal decisions or situations....

Glad Im not either...Id rather the safety and security of being related to informed individuals. 👌

Edited by Monk86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Good luck with that theory!

These protocols are working and seems the majority of passengers want them to stay in place including me. Just look at the demand! All ships will be back to sailing by the end of April.

Well you keep believing that, oh and it is NOT a theory, it is coming you do not see the writing on the wall. Those ships are coming back alright, you might want to ask yourself why. Don't worry you will see soon. Oh and as far  as the boosters go, less and less people are willing to take the booster and that is a fact you have not calculated. Also a lot of that demand you speak of, you know future booked cruises, are by the unvaccinated, fact! Cheer up this is a good thing.

Edited by knight2096
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

As far as boosters go.... if the first three shots don't fully protect you, why does anyone believe the fourth will?... or the inevitable fifth?

I am not expecting to be fully protected.  Much like my annual flu shot, I am expecting the covid shots to reduce my odds of getting sick and greatly reduce my odds of having serious complications if I do.  

Similarly, because I am asthmatic and more likely to have serious issues from teh flu not only do I get my flu shot every year, my husband and grown son both make sure they get theirs so they are less likley to contract the flu and spread it to me, we all know that the people I am around being vaccinated reduces my overall risks.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

As far as boosters go.... if the first three shots don't fully protect you, why does anyone believe the fourth will?... or the inevitable fifth?

Change the "don't fully" to "only partly" and we are in agreement.  😁  I have gotten one booster, and that was, quite frankly, to sail at the beginning of Omicron. 

Stick a fork in me, I'm done, unless the cruise lines require them.  Not recommend, require.  Because I will take extra measures to sail the seas I love, if required.  That cruise was the last time I masked up, as required. And I'm glad I chose to, because that minor inconvenience was worth the trip. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, topnole said:

Add to this that most unvaccinated have probably had Covid by now.   So a large % of the unvaccinated have similar immunity as vaccinated individuals.  This is the case for my kids who now have natural protection.  I am vaccinated and boosted, but still got Covid a couple months after that.   Combine that with my wife and kids all getting covid too and I can tell you any worry is erased and it is liberating.   I can’t wait for my upcoming cruise I’m not worried about anyone else’s vaccination statues or masks.  

My daughter had Covid before getting vaccinated, had 3 shots, had Covid again in January. I had Covid last March, I doubt I have any immunity left from that, had 3 shots, planning on a booster in June.  Two of my daughters got the flu shot and got the flu, I’m guessing symptoms would e been worse without the vaccine (and tamiflu). My goal is to not be hospitalized if I get Covid again.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

So unlikely means there’s still a chance they can get seriously ill and should stay off the ship? Also, there are many therapeutics for COVID other than get vaccinated or be ventilated outcome. Lucky she’s never had to admit a vaccinated patient, but my nurse friends have. And I personally think doctors are quicker to admit an unvaccinated vs vaccinated because they probably still see COVID as highly probable death sentence for the unvaccinated if they don’t monitor them in the hospital. 

People get admitted to hospitals when they are very ill, an unvaccinated person is not going to be admitted just because they tested positive. I know an unvaccinated guy who was sick with Covid (fever, bad cough), went to the hospital, got the infusion, and was sent home, where he recovered after a week in bed. Interestingly enough, he came down with Covid again months later, was sick, probably another variant. He didn’t need to go to the hospital though.

• Like 2