Formal night dress?

MaryJulian

1 hour ago, MaryJulian said:

Coukd a polo shirt with a jacket and a pair of slacks be OK to wear or a man?  We have done too many formal affairs and at age we just don;t want to be bothered.

These days on Princess for formal nights the above attire would be fine, you won't be refused entry.

My last Princess cruises were in May/June 2018 on Sapphire Princess B2B - Baltics and Scandinavia. I just wore something like the above, a blazer (bermuda jacket), slacks and open neck shirt, no problems.

Princess should change the name of formal night to smart casual night or chic night like Celebrity as so many cruisers are not wanting to don ye old tuxedo etc.

Standby for incoming from the traditionalists, 🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Princess should change the name of formal night to smart casual night or chic night like Celebrity as so many cruisers are not wanting to don ye old tuxedo etc.

They should but I think they're trying to hold onto the old traditions at the same time. 

Recently on the Enchanted, it's anything goes on Casual  nights (including shorts) and on formal nights you almost  couldn't differentiate between the two.  Some guys wore jeans and a Polo shirt & they were fine with it. Maybe it'll return to a stricter dress code after the covid dissapears, but I doubt it.

9 hours ago, MaryJulian said:

Coukd a polo shirt with a jacket and a pair of slacks be OK to wear or a man?  We have done too many formal affairs and at age we just don;t want to be bothered.

That is actually, exactly what my husband wears on formal night, & has for several years. 🙂

• Like 2

Sounds fine if that makes him feel comfortable, and saves you dressing up too.

I'll stick with a tuxedo and bow tie, so as to compliment my wife's attire. She loves dressing up regardless of the suggested dress code, and I get serious "brownie" points as a result. Say no more !!!!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

It is the only downside to Princess the enforcement of the dress code and that is the main reason I dont often cruise anymore with Princess. On every Princess cruise I have been on there is a brass plaque at the entrance to all MDRs explaining formal dress code. It is a pity they dont adhere to it but unfortunately they dont and that is why I never wear a dinner suit or even a suit and tie when people think polo shirts and t-shirts is classified as formal dress. If Princess are not bothered about standards of dress on formal nights why not just make every night Smart Casual to save the confusion.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It is the only downside to Princess the enforcement of the dress code and that is the main reason I dont often cruise anymore with Princess. On every Princess cruise I have been on there is a brass plaque at the entrance to all MDRs explaining formal dress code. It is a pity they dont adhere to it but unfortunately they dont and that is why I never wear a dinner suit or even a suit and tie when people think polo shirts and t-shirts is classified as formal dress. If Princess are not bothered about standards of dress on formal nights why not just make every night Smart Casual to save the confusion.

Good comment there Major. I have also travelled with P&O UK and Cunard, they do enforce dress codes.  Princess does not, so get rid of the formal nights.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, julia said:

Question asked.  Question answered. 

Therefore, no need to get into yet ANOTHER drawn out, pointless debate regarding the "suggested attire".

I'm still a bit confused.  Is there a difference between European cruises and Caribbean cruises?  We will be on a 2 week cruise on the Regal on the Mediterranean but will have about a week before and after doing land travel that involves schlepping suitcases through train stations and walking to hotels.  If I can get by without even a sports jacket that will ultimately be a wrinkled mess it would be a major relief to me.  Dressing to the nines may be great for someone who flies to the port gets on the ship and then flies home, but for those of us who add land travel where you need to handle your own luggage it is a major and unnecessary pain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp50 said:

I'm still a bit confused.  Is there a difference between European cruises and Caribbean cruises?  We will be on a 2 week cruise on the Regal on the Mediterranean but will have about a week before and after doing land travel that involves schlepping suitcases through train stations and walking to hotels.  If I can get by without even a sports jacket that will ultimately be a wrinkled mess it would be a major relief to me.  Dressing to the nines may be great for someone who flies to the port gets on the ship and then flies home, but for those of us who add land travel where you need to handle your own luggage it is a major and unnecessary pain.

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between a Caribbean cruise and a Mediterranean cruise when it comes to attire.  (Been there, done that.)  And while you may be packing and schlepping, a sports jacket or blazer in the Med will be much needed. It's a completely different environment and Europeans tend to dress far better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I did see the dress code enforced on Ruby Princess in Dec 2019. I was quite surprised.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

Sorry my cruise friends I’m always wearing my tux. I love to dress up. 
Tony

A519188F-AC52-4914-87EE-1A5964012153.jpeg

And you look fantastic!

My DH loves to wear his tux too. I hope it still fits him!

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If Princess are not bothered about standards of dress on formal nights why not just make every night Smart Casual to save the confusion.

They very well might just do that like other cruise lines have done leaving it up to the passengers choice.

My husband will wear his jeans & Polo shirt again tonight for the formal dinner. 

Last nights casual dinner below. Quite relaxed atmosphere. 

20220331_182948.thumb.jpg.06ba03939931899394237a8e8c937060.jpg

Edited by MissP22

47 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They very well might just do that like other cruise lines have done leaving it up to the passengers choice.

My husband will wear his jeans & Polo shirt again tonight for the formal dinner. 

Sorry but jeans and polo shirts are never classed as formal dress and that is why I now very rarely cruise with Princess and being an Elite member. It looks stupid when cruise line says it is down to the passengers and some wear dinner suit and bow ties and others walk around looking like tramps as if thry have just come off the streets. Sorry but for me it ruins the atmosphere onboard. Says more about the person and his own personal standards and manners.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And you look fantastic!

My DH loves to wear his tux too. I hope it still fits him!

Very smart and that is how it should be but then when you go into dinner and share a table with people in jeans and polo shirts or t-shirts and have even shared a table on a formal night with a gentleman that wore a baseball cap all through the meal. Sorry but it shows their ignorance and spoils the ambiance of the table and the evening.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but jeans and polo shirts are never classed as formal dress and that is why I now very rarely cruise with Princess and being an Elite member. It looks stupid when cruise line says it is down to the passengers and some wear dinner suit and bow ties and others walk around looking like tramps as if thry have just come off the streets. Sorry but for me it ruins the atmosphere onboard. Says more about the person and his own personal standards and manners.

Oh,  I agree that it won't make some people happy but cruising is changing and Princess has to change with the times or lose business to the new generations. 

People who enjoy dressing up still have the option of dressing up as much as they care to.

Perhaps it's time to have both a formal and casual DR so people can choose for themselves which one they prefer. 

(and not the buffet)

• Like 1

Just now, MissP22 said:

Oh,  I agree that it won't make some people happy but cruising is changing and Princess has to change with the times or lose business to the new generations. 

People who enjoy dressing up still have the option of dressing up as much as they care to.

Perhaps it's time to have both a formal and casual DR so people can choose for themselves which one they prefer. 

(and not the buffet)

I am not talking about recent changes this has been happening for years that I have been cruising with Princess. Princess should scrap the dress code completely or adhere to the current one advertised on their website and advertised outside MDRs on plaques and in Princess Patter. If they are currently sticking with their advertised dress code then they should enforce their own rules and refuse entry into MDR for those that are incorrectly dressed.

• Like 5

Just now, majortom10 said:

I am not talking about recent changes this has been happening for years that I have been cruising with Princess. Princess should scrap the dress code completely or adhere to the current one advertised on their website and advertised outside MDRs on plaques and in Princess Patter. If they are currently sticking with their advertised dress code then they should enforce their own rules and refuse entry into MDR for those that are incorrectly dressed.

I haven't see any signs or or anything mentioned about dress codes on the Enchanted at all. Other than if it's a casual or formal night and that's in the Patter or on the menus around the ship. 

In past years it's been posted outside the DR entrance....but no longer. 

I'll post a general photo of our "formal " dinner tonight.  People might dress differently than last cruise....new crowd. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Ahhhh… Socks with deck shoes?  Must be Formal Night on Princess….
One of the reasons for leaving… When Princess dropped semi-formal and insert the word “suggested” into the dress code.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

To be honest I wouldnt go my local pub for a meal dressed like that in the evening.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Ahhhh… Socks with deck shoes?  Must be Formal Night on Princess….
One of the reasons for leaving… When Princess dropped semi-formal and insert the word “suggested” into the dress code.

What other cruise lines haven't changed to a more relaxed dress code?

Other than Cunard. 

For those of us where this is a special once-in-a-lifetime cruise, dressing up is part of the fairy tale. This will be our 33rd anniversary gift to ourselves. (And only the 2nd vacation ever taken alone together.) My husband and I have enjoyed the experience of picking out our fancy clothes for the magical formal nights.  When we booked the cruise, the formal night experience was one of the major selling points for us.  It is disappointing to read that some folks want to participate in the formal night meals without dressing up as suggested.  Arn't there other venues on board for the people who don't want to dress up?

• Like 4