LIVE from the Grand Princess: RT LA to Hawaii 4/4/22 - 4/19/22

HBCcruiser

32 minutes ago, waltd said:

And the Beef Stroganoff was strange.   I guess the Princess version.  Ours came cooked with Beets and a different kind of noodle.   It wasn't bad and beef tender just a Princess take on Stroganoff.   LOL

IIRC, it always has beets. I order the stroganoff a lot.

Just now, JF - retired RRT said:

IIRC, it always has beets. I order the stroganoff a lot.

Guess I don't order it enough.   First time for me seeing it with beets.  

I have thoroughly enjoyed following this thread.  Alaska May 25th will certainly be different from Hawaii.  😂. Looks like the weather in Hawaii was much better than you expected.  Thanks for taking the time to share your voyage.

• Thanks 1

For us the food is a little off in the MDR Club Class , than it used to be. Even from this past November on the & same ship (Grand).    Entertainment is off also compared to last November.  
Very few wearing masks & no social distancing.   Just a feeling I have been having is that this ship is hoping that everyone will come down with Covid, because of the kind of activities they are having.  For instance they had a 50s & 60s event the other night @ 8:30 in the Explorer’s Lounge, which was not listed as a party, but was stated so once it started.  (We thought it was going to be a game show).Very very over crowded, (standing room only)  no mention of masking, super encouraging everyone to sing along, pulling people down to the already crowded dance floor .  Also lots of extra doors are closed so everyone leaving or passing in show rooms & hallways are thrown together.  Makes no sense, but that’s just me & my opinion.  Can they save $ if everyone gets a light case of Covid, then they don’t have to worry about quarantining anyone.?  

22 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

For us the food is a little off in the MDR Club Class

Hmm I just thought it was because we were skipping Club Class. Food is not bad, but not as good as it was in October/November.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

For us the food is a little off in the MDR Club Class , than it used to be. Even from this past November on the & same ship (Grand).    Entertainment is off also compared to last November.  
Very few wearing masks & no social distancing.   Just a feeling I have been having is that this ship is hoping that everyone will come down with Covid, because of the kind of activities they are having.  For instance they had a 50s & 60s event the other night @ 8:30 in the Explorer’s Lounge, which was not listed as a party, but was stated so once it started.  (We thought it was going to be a game show).Very very over crowded, (standing room only)  no mention of masking, super encouraging everyone to sing along, pulling people down to the already crowded dance floor .  Also lots of extra doors are closed so everyone leaving or passing in show rooms & hallways are thrown together.  Makes no sense, but that’s just me & my opinion.  Can they save $ if everyone gets a light case of Covid, then they don’t have to worry about quarantining anyone.?  

Who is the Executive Chef?

43 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Hmm I just thought it was because we were skipping Club Class. Food is not bad, but not as good as it was in October/November.

Items on the MDR Club Class menu have not been as described.  Also the extra main course that was offered for club class 2 nights in a row was Mahi-mahi.  The 1st nite my DH ordered it, I told him it looks dried out.  He said it is.  Then again the same thing is offered the next nite?? Is there a food shortage, crew shortage & entertainment budget shortage.  

What the H……. is happening to Princess .  I think I just figured it out . these deep cutbacks are probably because, even though this cruise is almost full many people are using their credits. And to Princess this means we are cruising for free.   
On a positive note our Cabin Steward is fantastic.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Items on the MDR Club Class menu have not been as described.  Also the extra main course that was offered for club class 2 nights in a row was Mahi-mahi.  The 1st nite my DH ordered it, I told him it looks dried out.  He said it is.  Then again the same thing is offered the next nite?? Is there a food shortage, crew shortage & entertainment budget shortage.  

What the H……. is happening to Princess .  I think I just figured it out . these deep cutbacks are probably because, even though this cruise is almost full many people are using their credits. And to Princess this means we are cruising for free.   
On a positive note our Cabin Steward is fantastic.  

There are also many supply chain issues. We have a small business and obtaining glass bottles has been a NIGHTMARE!!! That is also one of the reasons why wine is increasing in price too, which we just saw on the news.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nini said:

There are also many supply chain issues. We have a small business and obtaining glass bottles has been a NIGHTMARE!!! That is also one of the reasons why wine is increasing in price too, which we just saw on the news.

You are right. I also remember in So. Cal  (Albertsons owned stores) they had signs at the grocery store saying they are having a chicken shortage.  
That must also be the reason Princesses famous chicken salad @ the International Cafe has no chicken in it.  Just tasty apples.  

1 minute ago, Ronnieslady said:

You are right. I also remember in So. Cal  (Albertsons owned stores) they had signs at the grocery store saying they are having a chicken shortage.  
That must also be the reason Princesses famous chicken salad @ the International Cafe has no chicken in it.  Just tasty apples.  

Well,  bummer! I love that chicken salad! I am grateful we do not have that issue in the Northwest.

9 minutes ago, nini said:

Well,  bummer! I love that chicken salad! I am grateful we do not have that issue in the Northwest.

Yes,  lots of people on theses boards including me love that chicken salad & some might be disappointed now.    
I suppose someone could do a topic on what is not offered anymore, unless it’s already been done & I missed it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, waltd said:

And the Beef Stroganoff was strange.   I guess the Princess version.  Ours came cooked with Beets and a different kind of noodle.   It wasn't bad and beef tender just a Princess take on Stroganoff.   LOL

My low sodium Beef Stroganoff came with no noodles.   

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My low sodium Beef Stroganoff came with no noodles.   

I would have sent it back. The stroganoff  concept requires noodles. Otherwise, it is just soupy beef with onions and mushrooms.

2 hours ago, nini said:

I would have sent it back. The stroganoff  concept requires noodles. Otherwise, it is just soupy beef with onions and mushrooms.

I didn't go hungry.  The meal had plenty of other things to eat.  Thank you for thinking of me.

9 hours ago, floridababa said:

What condition is the Ship in? Plan on going next March and I'm concerned that the ship needs refurbishment. 

I was on the Grand in December and I thought she was in great shape. I was really impressed. I saw nothing that indicated that it needed to be replaced/fixed. She is going in for a dry dock in the next few weeks before the Alaska season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, floridababa said:

What condition is the Ship in? Plan on going next March and I'm concerned that the ship needs refurbishment. 

I think she’s in good shape considering her age. Staff are constantly cleaning, painting and doing basic upkeep. Our suite is nice. Our shower has hot water and the heater/air conditioner works. Those of you who followed my Live From in October know the issues we had with the Grand Suite. 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Coral said:

I was on the Grand in December and I thought she was in great shape. I was really impressed. I saw nothing that indicated that it needed to be replaced/fixed. She is going in for a dry dock in the next few weeks before the Alaska season.

Any info on what the drydock will entail?