Actual costs of drinks

Still trying to decide on whether or not to purchase drink package, but with some feedback from fellow Cruise Critic members, hopefully I will make my decision.  Sailing on Oasis of the Seas next year (I realize prices may change between now and then), so I"m wondering what domestic beers costs per purchase, and mixed drinks (ex. gin/tonic), and also the slushy drinks like a pina colada costs if I purchase individually. And I also realize the 18% gratuity is tacked on.  Please be kind in your responses. No mean spirited comments.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Beer is about $8.

Mixed drinks about $10-$13.

When deciding, don't forget to consider port days, when you (most likely) wouldn't be on the ship for much of the day.

good point

If only the advertised prices of a Cruise were true prices. So much more to add on once booked. 

But to answer your question I read somewhere (I could be wrong) that the break even was 5 drinks per day?

My advice would be to cruise a lot this year and take advantage of those double points and get to Diamond where you get 4 free drinks per day. 

Level up with Diamond Plus at 5. 

Pinnacles have open bar at all times. (kidding)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Beer is about $8.

When deciding, don't forget to consider port days, when you (most likely) wouldn't be on the ship for much of the day.

Also remember that bottles of water are included too ($4?) so surely you'll be grabbing a few of those throughout the week

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If only the advertised prices of a Cruise were true prices. So much more to add on once booked. 

But to answer your question I read somewhere (I could be wrong) that the break even was 5 drinks per day?

My advice would be to cruise a lot this year and take advantage of those double points and get to Diamond where you get 4 free drinks per day. 

You have to have booked cruises by end  of Sept 2021, otherwise you will not get the double points.

* unless you book a suite. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

thanks for the input. I think I'm one cruse away from becoming a Diamond Member

• Like 1

You need to look at the fact that if you drink specialty coffee, fresh OJ at breakfast, water and a few drinks during the whole day would you have had enough to justify getting the DDP! only you can say for certain but look at what you might drink (port days and sea days) and if you think it is worth it then get the package and you won't have to worry about a bill at the end of the cruise. If you don't think you will drink enough to justify it then pay as you go. After a cruise or two am sure you will know.

i miss the days when you would excitedly flip through the pages of your cabin bible to see if the previous occupants left you a voucher lol

IMO you'd need to drink several (5-7 a day, depending on the rate you pay)to make it worth it.Add to that port days, when you're off ship, plus having to purchase for all adults in your cabin, wether they drink or not. If that's your thing, go for it.

18 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I have found this to be true most of the time. When you take in account as one poster said that the DDP includes your soft drinks, water and coffees (non Starbucks) too it's pretty easy to get to 5. Heck I can usually have 5 drinks in one evening if you think about it.

1 coffee or Diet Coke Morning

1 daytime pool drink (Frozen)

1 pre dinner cocktail

1 wine with dinner

1 espresso after dinner

2-3 drinks evening entertainment.

• Like 2

If your sailing goes to Perfect Day at CocoCay the drink package can be used there too.

If you are sailing with anyone else in your cabin that does not wish to purchase the DBP then you can call and purchase for yourself and the cabinmate can purchase the refreshment package.     You won't be able to do this online, have to call in.

11 minutes ago, Roybthered said:

You need to look at the fact that if you drink specialty coffee, fresh OJ at breakfast, water and a few drinks during the whole day would you have had enough to justify getting the DDP! only you can say for certain but look at what you might drink (port days and sea days) and if you think it is worth it then get the package and you won't have to worry about a bill at the end of the cruise. If you don't think you will drink enough to justify it then pay as you go. After a cruise or two am sure you will know.

makes a lot of sense. thanks for the feedback. hadn't thought this whole process through.

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have found this to be true most of the time. When you take in account as one poster said that the DDP includes your soft drinks, water and coffees (non Starbucks) too it's pretty easy to get to 5. Heck I can usually have 5 drinks in one evening if you think about it.

1 coffee or Diet Coke Morning

1 daytime pool drink (Frozen)

1 pre dinner cocktail

1 wine with dinner

1 espresso after dinner

2-3 drinks evening entertainment.

Good point, I keep forgetting that it's not just for boozey drinks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Beer is about $8.

You are still back on the ship “usually” by 4:00. That gives you a good 7 hours. Plus start the day with a Mimosa or Bloody Mary or Baileys and Coffee.

Yes, the Alcoholic drinks package also includes whatever else goes with the refreshment package. Once for health reasons I can't drink alcohol, I usually go with the refreshment package and it is usually worth the money, to not talk about the convenience to have all those drinks paid beforehand, so, just as an example this would to be my daily drinks routine:

1 Freshly squeezed OJ with breakfast.

1 Specialty coffee to finish breakfast or before going on excursion.

1 Soda drink with lunch.

1 Espresso coffee after lunch.

1 Non Alcoholic cocktail before dinner.

1 Soda, juice or sparkling water with dinner.

1 Espresso coffee after dinner.

1 Possible hot chocolate before bed time when entertainment ends later.

2-3 bottles of water along the day.

...And I believe my schedule is just a little comprehensive one, maybe the average one can expect, or at least, the average such a continental European like me would make. Yeah, that even for the ones that drink alcohol may add something to the cart and couldn't to be ignored.

Have a nice day!

Wife sometimes has a glass of champagne with breakfast 

we wife will have a couple of glasses of wine with lunch, I will have either wine or beer with lunch

We normally have a few pre dinner drinks in suite lounge 

We always split a bottle of wine with dinner 

a few drinks while listening to entertainment at night 

last cruise was first we done without a drink package since we had free drinks in suite lounge plus 5 free drinks due to diamond plus.

we also bought UDP which gives us 40 percent off wine under 100. 

3 hours ago, PhillyTom said:

Still trying to decide on whether or not to purchase drink package, but with some feedback from fellow Cruise Critic members, hopefully I will make my decision.  Sailing on Oasis of the Seas next year (I realize prices may change between now and then), so I"m wondering what domestic beers costs per purchase, and mixed drinks (ex. gin/tonic), and also the slushy drinks like a pina colada costs if I purchase individually. And I also realize the 18% gratuity is tacked on.  Please be kind in your responses. No mean spirited comments.  Thanks

On the Jewel a couple of weeks ago and all of the frozen drinks were just over $15 ($15.34 if I remember correctly) including gratuities.