Reported symptoms on health assessment, now getting cancellation message. Help!

KmomChicago

Hi, I am also posting this question in The Tribe, but hoped someone would know what to do here. I just did the health assessment for our cruise this Saturday, and because I had a cold in the last 14 days, I answered honestly regarding those symptoms. It is not Covid and I have had no contact with anyone with Covid. 

I now get this pop up message. I was not treated by a doctor and I am not sick. I don't qualify for a Covid cancellation of the cruise per Carnival's stated policy, and because I don't have Covid. 

I do plan to call Carnival today and find out what they want me to do but hoped someone might have experience with this situation. The cruise is out of Galveston if that makes any difference. Thanks for any insight.

image.png.3df2b1e0e286e2b81ce8938d717c8bca.png

• Like 1

I could be wrong but, answering yes to any symptoms such as a "cough" is enough to lock out the Health Assessment and trigger closer scrutiny at the cruiseport check-in. You will most likely have a negative Covid test within 2-3 days of your cruise, they can give a temperature check and you may have to answer some questions/pass the eyeball test at the port.

This is not a cancellation, you are being red-flagged for further review at the port before being allowed to board. Their letter says if you've been treated by a doctor, does not say you need to see a doctor for a cold. Hopefully someone will post if they've cruised after having to deal with this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

I personally would have answered that clean and let the mandatory pcr test that I am required to pay for answer for me.

I get it. It’s frustrating to be honest and legal and read all the fine print and do the right thing and then wonder if you’re regretting it. I have already used my free government home test and it was negative and I can’t believe everyone with allergies as claiming no symptoms in 14 days since I know a lot of people with symptoms every day of their life. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I get it. It’s frustrating to be honest and legal and read all the fine print and do the right thing and then wonder if you’re regretting it. I have already used my free government home test and it was negative and I can’t believe everyone with allergies as claiming no symptoms in 14 days since I know a lot of people with symptoms every day of their life. 

I share your frustration. But the simple fact is that when you are dealing with any bureaucracy, be it corporate or government, you are dealing with an idiot. It is not that the people in the bureaucracies are idiots, but the final product has to satisfy so many different parts of the bureaucracy the final product they come out with doesn't make any of them happy but is barely acceptable to all.

I feel perfectly honest if I answer in keeping with the purpose of the questions. So I read "have you had any of the following symptoms" as have you had any of the following symptoms OF COVID. In this case you had symptoms of a cold. You know you had a cough and you know it had nothing to do with covid so answer no.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I can only answer with my thought process

I know the Health Assessment's goal is to help the cruise line and the guest to determine if they "may" be infected with Covid.

I know that I am susceptible to allergies, or I have been around someone with allergies and/or spring cold.

I know that I have taken a Covid home test, and it was negative.

I know that I will have to provide a negative antigen test taken within 72 hours of boarding a ship.

With all that KNOWN, why would I answer Yes to having the sniffles on the Health Assessment?

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I can only answer with my thought process

I know the Health Assessment's goal is to help the cruise line and the guest to determine if they "may" be infected with Covid.

I know that I am susceptible to allergies, or I have been around someone with allergies and/or spring cold.

I know that I have taken a Covid home test, and it was negative.

I know that I will have to provide a negative antigen test taken within 72 hours of boarding a ship.

With all that KNOWN, why would I answer Yes to having the sniffles on the Health Assessment?

True, I guess I just wanted to tempt fate.

• Haha 3

Bummed to see so many people harping on the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" questionnaire as there's nothing to be fixed in that regard because you had already filled it out.  

Glad to see the that JH was able to provide you the info in which you had originally requested with the post in this thread 😉❤️

• Like 1

Former co worker was in same situation last week on RCI. She and family had already boarded and were eating lunch. Their names called overhead to report to such n such place. Her husband had also replied honestly to mild cold symptoms.... They were then ALL retested: all negative.... But for whatever reason they were removed from ship. Kids were crying, etc. They were told the CDC was doing a spot inspection and they were a red flag. Vacation ruined. Hate to be a negative Nancy, but if I were in your shoes, I would ask A LOT more questions and get it in writing and just for insurance a Dr's note.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ober134 said:

Former co worker was in same situation last week on RCI. She and family had already boarded and were eating lunch. Their names called overhead to report to such n such place. Her husband had also replied honestly to mild cold symptoms.... They were then ALL retested: all negative.... But for whatever reason they were removed from ship. Kids were crying, etc. They were told the CDC was doing a spot inspection and they were a red flag. Vacation ruined. Hate to be a negative Nancy, but if I were in your shoes, I would ask A LOT more questions and get it in writing and just for insurance a Dr's note.

That’s crazy. I’m supportive of all the precautions but this doesn’t even make sense. Plus the rules expired in January and compliance is voluntary.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 3

The at home tests are unreliable. Did you swab your throat as well as your nose? I know several people whose at home test via nose was negative but throat was positive. That said, so long as your ore cruise test is also negative, you should be fine. 

• Like 2

I have seasonal allergies. I get a stuffy nose and a cough sometimes as a result. I know my body and I know these are not symptoms of COVID, they're just seasonal allergies. So I have no problem saying "no" when it asks me if I have shown those symptoms. Because with my negative test, my general lifestyle as a pensive recluse, and my history of seasonal allergies I know I do not have COVID.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pohlerbear said:

The at home tests are unreliable. Did you swab your throat as well as your nose? I know several people whose at home test via nose was negative but throat was positive. That said, so long as your ore cruise test is also negative, you should be fine. 

The home tests I've used are the same as the prescription ones used for proctored tests that are accepted by Carnival. When I had covid several months ago, it is what I used and showed up right away.  Never had to swab my throat at home or in medical office tests.  We are about to use the proctored ones again tomorrow for our cruise this weekend.

• Like 3

A princess cruise just had to turn around and go back to port because of so many Covid infections. Numbers are increasing again in Europe and other countries. That is why I suspect that they are being extra careful.  You can get a false negative on a test if you take it too early or too late.  However, if I had a negative and then tested negative again several days later and all symptoms were gone, I would do what PP said and respond knowing this is an automated system and not necessarily designed to account for the common cold or allergies.  During the spring "pollinating" in Texas, I would imagine at least 2/3 of the population would answer yes to those questions if they were being honest. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

A princess cruise just had to turn around and go back to port because of so many Covid infections. Numbers are increasing again in Europe and other countries. That is why I suspect that they are being extra careful.  You can get a false negative on a test if you take it too early or too late.  However, if I had a negative and then tested negative again several days later and all symptoms were gone, I would do what PP said and respond knowing this is an automated system and not necessarily designed to account for the common cold or allergies.  During the spring "pollinating" in Texas, I would imagine at least 2/3 of the population would answer yes to those questions if they were being honest. 

Which Princess ship is this? And when?

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

That’s what’s irritating me. Am I the one in a thousand rube who told the truth? Why bother asking if the answers are meaningless?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

That’s what’s irritating me. Am I the one in a thousand rube who told the truth? Why bother asking if the answers are meaningless?

just a different interpretation. I too would have assumed the questions were to find out if you had covid symptoms. If I had a allergy and knew it i wouldnt have said yes to the symptoms.

You had to have know a yes answer would endanger your cruise. You even said you knew you were toying with a problem or some such.. so you knew saying yes would cause issues. 

• Like 2

We are working on alternate plans if we are turned away at the pier. I can get a great rate on a rental car for a week. Galveston itself is a beach resort town. Boo hoo, poor Kmom doesn’t know when to break the rules and now maybe she has first world problems.

I think we’ll be okay but having a plan B and a prepared mindset will exponentially reduce the stress of a nasty surprise. 

• Like 1