one way from Alaska to Seattle

tech1932

Hi, my wife and I have been on several cruises but not yet Alaska. After reading about one way itineraries we would like to fly into Anchorage (or somewhere near) spend maybe a week in Denali, then cruise to (preferably) Seattle or Vancouver. We are looking to do this Sept 2023, preferably Princess but I can't seem to find any one way cruises AK to SEA. Any suggestions?  

Thank you all for the info. I see we will need to depart from Vancouver. From what I'm reading September sounds like it's too late. Do conditions change that drastically?

We were trying to save some money and enjoy less crowds by going in a "shoulder season" (e.g., early September).

Although we prefer Princess we aren't limited to them and will consider other cruise lines. 

May is normally drier than September and might make a better shoulder month. We love May in Alaska with the snow still on the mountain tops making for some dandy photos.  And, this is subjective; a week in Denali is too much time there. You’d be missing out on a ton of good stuff to do and see in Southcentral Alaska.

2 hours ago, tech1932 said:

Thank you all for the info. I see we will need to depart from Vancouver. From what I'm reading September sounds like it's too late. Do conditions change that drastically?

We were trying to save some money and enjoy less crowds by going in a "shoulder season" (e.g., early September).

Although we prefer Princess we aren't limited to them and will consider other cruise lines. 

One cruise I did to Alaska,  started the day after Labor Day in Seattle and ended in Vancouver. There was some rain, but trip was still enjoyable. Few children, as they were back in school.. As far as Denali, (I lived and worked there for 3 seasons in the 80's),fewer visitors  after L.D., businesses started shutting down. But, the landscape was beautiful, due to autumn  foliage, and perhaps a dusting of snow. Also, may get a chance of seeing the northern lights..Heading south towards Anchorage, autumn was a few weeks behind Denali.  (I always liked traveling in the  shoulder season!)

• Like 1

@tech1932Fly to Anchorage or Fairbanks and enjoy the land travel in early September.  Fall colors are beautiful and the onset of fall colors differs considerably as you travel from Denali to Anchorage.  Then Cruise from Whittier to Vancouver through the inside passage for smoother seas.   Days are shorter in September and the seas are rougher.  

May is the other choice for shoulder season but you would want to sail from Vancouver in late May so that you arrive in Denali in June for the best Denali experience.  Longer days in May  and the park road should be fully open.

Edited by oaktreerb

Thanks again to all. Much food for thought here. I will continue my research and get back to you with any more questions.

Another reason I was leaning towards early September was improved chances of catching the Northern Lights.

3 hours ago, tech1932 said:

Thanks again to all. Much food for thought here. I will continue my research and get back to you with any more questions.

Another reason I was leaning towards early September was improved chances of catching the Northern Lights.

You will do much better with seeking the Aurora Borealis with the northern end of Alaska -

namely Anchorage/Denali (Seward Whittier cruises)  than with the southeast panhandle

(Seattle based cruises).

By this time you should realize that the Seattle based cruises are round trip with the/a

required foreign port stop (PVSA) at Victoria BC - these cruises do not go to Anchorage.

Peak season is June - July - August --- May and September are shoulder months with

some cruises just starting in very late April and ending early October.

Daylight Alaska Mid-Night Sun is increased - greater in peak months and you will not

have to worry about it in the winter (non-cruising) season.

Bear in mind that the shoulder months fewer shore excursions are available and activities

are just beginning to open or have final end of season sales.

Also consider that air transportation to the ports is reduced in the shoulder months.

Using the Alaskan Railroad for your transportation needs starting ending in the shoulder

months there are schedule adjustments.

Early September you still should have a majority of the full Alaska experience to plan on.

But caution about travel plans after say 15th of the month.

Cruise ships will be at full capacity or virus capacity - - - - -

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've done Alaska in September twice and had good weather both times. I remember one rainy day in Ketchikan, but The other ports were great. It's always a gamble that you will have Alaska's "liquid sunshine."

I did 2 entire Alaska seasons on consecutive years and both years in September we could have 1 nice week followed by a 70 kt storm the next week, so you were very lucky.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:46 PM, tech1932 said:

We are looking to do this Sept 2023, preferably Princess but I can't seem to find any one way cruises AK to SEA.

Generally, in order to travel from one point in the United States to another point also in the United States, you can only travel on a United States vessel. This a consequence of United States cabotage law, specifically the Passenger Vessel Services Act, designed to protect American commercial interests. Since both Alaska and Seattle are points within the United States, to travel between these points you must travel on a United States vessel. Princess Cruises does not operate any United States vessels. The only United States vessel that regularly sails this route is the Kennicott, operated by Alaska Marine Highway. In the summer this vessel sails every two weeks, departing from Whittier, Alaska, on alternate Mondays, for a 5-night voyage. In years past vessels would arrive in the center of Seattle itself, but presently vessels arrives in Bellingham, Washington, a short distance north of Seattle. The entire itinerary is domestic, so passports are not required.

Most passengers traveling from Whittier (or Seward) sail to Canada, specifically the port of Vancouver, and by traveling internationally a foreign vessel may be used for the voyage. This would include Princess Cruises, as well as the panoply of other carriers all of whom operate foreign vessels.