Can someone please explain luggage for Alaska Cruisetour

MudderBear

Hello.  Will be in a DB4 tour.  One night at Captain Cook, then transfer to Denali Princess Lodge for three nights, and then the cruise.  Do my husband and I have to pack our "land" clothing and toiletries, etc. in one suitcase and then put our "cruise" outfits in the cruise suitcase?  Very confusing as my land and cruise clothes are pretty interchangable.  Don't quite understand?  Here's the instructions....

"Join Me Onboard" Luggage (for guests who cruise after their land tour)

• Guests who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
  • This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
  • All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the "Join Me Onboard" tagged bags will be securely stored until they are delivered to your stateroom onboard.

I did a cruise tour a very very very long time ago.  But the instructions still seem to be the same.

All luggage will be delivered to you a the Captain Cook Hotel if you are dong a transfer from the airport.

Cruise Luggage will go directly to the ship (or storage).

Cruise Tour Luggage will go on the bus/truck/train with you to the lodge.

Pack some casual wear and carry a jacket/coat/wrap.  I was freezing on the train.  I "thought" Alaska would be cold so had my cold weather clothes with me.  Fooled me.  It was scorching hot and I had to find somewhere to buy shorts in the middle of July.

You will meet up with your cruise luggage (in your cabin) after checking in at the port.

Bring a carry on for your daily needs (meds/toiletries/pjs).  Suggested:  pack your daily outfits in packers or organizers since you will be living out of a suitcase.  

Don't forget your binoculars, a hat, sunscreen, and all electrical chargers.  

2 minutes ago, Potstech said:

We just put all of our in one piece of luggage. Had it go from the ship to Denali Lodge to the McKinley lodge. to the Capt. Cook

I wish I could pack lite.  I need a butler at home to help me.  The older I get, the more stuff I need to drag around.  But best option yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• If you're doing the land portion first, there's nothing that says that you can't just use one large suitcase for both the land and cruise portions, correct?  If I were to do a cruise tour I would also have a small carry-on for toiletries, medications and other "necessities",  so that aspect would be covered.  I would hate to schlep yet another suitcase, especially since I travel solo.

What I get when I read those instructions is IF you have stuff that is specifically for the cruise (dressy clothes for example) that will not be needed on the land portion you can put it in a seperate bag and have that delivered to the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

We just put all of our in one piece of luggage. Had it go from the ship to Denali Lodge to the McKinley lodge. to the Capt. Cook

We did the same. We never had a "cruise bag" and other bags. It was all the same and all of our luggage just followed us on the land tour part.

• Thanks 1

Here's how I look at it.  If I were traveling with a friend, I would NOT expect anyone to tell me to mix my clothing into their luggage so that we only have one bag at the tour part and get the other one on the ship.  Just because I am traveling with my husband shouldn't dictate that he and I have to split a bag for the land portion and then one for the cruise.  I'm not doing it.  Simple as that.  Their instructions are not very clear.

11 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Here's how I look at it.  If I were traveling with a friend, I would NOT expect anyone to tell me to mix my clothing into their luggage so that we only have one bag at the tour part and get the other one on the ship.  Just because I am traveling with my husband shouldn't dictate that he and I have to split a bag for the land portion and then one for the cruise.  I'm not doing it.  Simple as that.  Their instructions are not very clear.

it's just an option ...

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I wish I could pack lite.  I need a butler at home to help me.  The older I get, the more stuff I need to drag around.  But best option yet.

We just did laundry a few days prior to arriving in Alaska.

3 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Each person may have one piece of luggage going on the land tour.

Obviously if you do not want to share a single suitcase with your spouse you do not have to.

However, we found that for the land portion we did not need much of what we had packed in separate suitcases (clothes for formal evenings on the ship, for example) and what we needed fit into one suitcase.

In addition, it was so much easier as we unpacked and packed for each stop on the tour to not find space in the rooms to spread out two suitcases.

But again, sharing is certainly not required.

• Like 1

We have done a cruise tour with land first three times. Two in Alaska and one in Ireland

The first time we put our "nicer" dinner clothes in a garment bag and sent that to the ship. We each had a large piece of luggage and a carry on for the land portion.

The second time we each had a very large piece of luggage and a back pack for during the day. Same for the third time.

Had no problems with not separating "land" and "ship" clothes. They are just trying to cut down on how many suitcases they have to lug from stop to stop on the land tour. They also pick up your suitcases at your room every morning and deliver them to your new room every day.

Do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks.  I believe I am taking a "third" suitcase.  I will put evening clothes (not really much, and those shoes, plus our down jackets in it).  The down jackets will be for Hubbard and Glacier Bay.  Don't think I'll need them in Denali in May...

On 4/25/2022 at 3:43 PM, MudderBear said:

Hello.  Will be in a DB4 tour.  One night at Captain Cook, then transfer to Denali Princess Lodge for three nights, and then the cruise.  Do my husband and I have to pack our "land" clothing and toiletries, etc. in one suitcase and then put our "cruise" outfits in the cruise suitcase?  Very confusing as my land and cruise clothes are pretty interchangable.  Don't quite understand?  Here's the instructions....

• Guests who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
  • This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
  • All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the "Join Me Onboard" tagged bags will be securely stored until they are delivered to your stateroom onboard.

I worked for Princess at one hotel and at the Whittier Port.

You will get a Welcome package when you check into your hotel that will have luggage tags for your trip. 

One bag for your land portion and one bag for the cruise. You will put the tags on your cruise bag with your name. 

The next day you will put your bags outside your room that night. They will be picked up by Princess and taken to the correct lodge and correct ship. 

You will have a small carry on for your trip on the coach or train (depending on what transportation you choose).

DO NOT put meds,  money,  travel docs or anything personal in your bags going to the ship or lodge 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:43 PM, MudderBear said:

I worked for Princess at one hotel and at the Whittier Port.

You will get a Welcome package when you check into your hotel that will have luggage tags for your trip. 

One bag for your land portion and one bag for the cruise. You will put the tags on your cruise bag with your name. 

The next day you will put your bags outside your room that night. They will be picked up by Princess and taken to the correct lodge and correct ship. 

You will have a small carry on for your trip on the coach or train (depending on what transportation you choose).

DO NOT put meds,  money,  travel docs or anything personal in your bags going to the ship or lodge 

We did a cruisetour 7 years ago but I don't recall exactly what we sent to the ship and what we kept with us on the land portion.   We have no idea yet what the weather is going to be like in 5 weeks or what we will want to wear.  And if the forecast up there is anywhere like where we live, they will be wrong over 50% of the time so we will have an assortment of clothes.   And I like to be comfortable so I may end up taking more on the land portion.   Our son and fiance are joining us so I think we will pack our formal clothes and some dresses, shoes, shirts/pants for the guys in maybe two suitcases to be sent to the ship.  I plan to pack clothes for layering so I think we will have two suitcases each plus a carry on.    We are flying first class so I don't need to worry.    My son is a photographer so he will have a big assortment of cameras and lenses that he will want on the land portion.   I guess we may be holding luggage on our laps on the buses and train if they are full. 

3 hours ago, pamwigs said:

If I recall, we were told our airline carryons are too large.   Do you remember?    We have very nice carryons and I never check them - and don't want 5 other things piled on top of them under the bus.  I want to keep them with me - will they allow them on the bus and train?   And I do not want to take a duffle bag just for the bus/train rides.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, compozer said:

If I recall, we were told our airline carryons are too large.   Do you remember?    We have very nice carryons and I never check them - and don't want 5 other things piled on top of them under the bus.  I want to keep them with me - will they allow them on the bus and train?   And I do not want to take a duffle bag just for the bus/train rides.

Thanks

The carryon for the coach or train should be small,  like a backpack.

Your luggage will be transported by Princess. 

If your carryon has all your clothes,  that is too big. 

Edited by pamwigs
Modified

Thanks for the reply.  I need to call my friend who we traveled with to see if she remembers what we took on the train.    My son's camera backpack is the size of an airline carry on and there is no way he would let them transport it.  It stays with him.

4 hours ago, compozer said:

Thanks

We were also advised pre tour that airline carryons were too big ,so for this trip only we took a good backpack. We never used the ship luggage tags. Both of our suitcases followed us the entire land tour.

• Like 1

So I am also going on an Alaska Cruise Tour (end of July) with the land first.  I guess I am still a little confused with the answers above.  

If my wife and I are both traveling with a medium size suit case (2x 25 inch wheeled checked bags) and smaller carry on bags (2x 21 inch wheeled carry on bags).  I will have a camera bag pack and my wife will have a small back pack as well that we plan on using for our time walking around Alaska and the various shore excursions that we signed up for.  Those will be on our possession the entire time.

Question 1)  If I am understanding this correctly we should pack our 2 larger checked bags with the items that are only going to be on the cruise ship?  And the 2 smaller carry on bags would need to contain all of our clothes/shoes/medicines and toiletries for the 3 days on the land?  We can't bring both bags with us?

Question 2) does our smaller carry on bags get put in a storage area on the train from the Denali area back to Whittier while we hold our smaller personal back packs with us on that train ride?

Question 3) if I am understanding this correctly should our larger bags get to us on embarkation day and placed in our rooms?  assuming we properly tagged our bags correctly?

Thanks,  There is a ton to read for this trip and it is getting a little overwhelming considering we have to keep up with all of the covid information as well.  I have been trying to do all of this research on my own so my wife doesn't need to worry about it.

40 minutes ago, Ricbr said:

So I am also going on an Alaska Cruise Tour (end of July) with the land first.  I guess I am still a little confused with the answers above.  

If my wife and I are both traveling with a medium size suit case (2x 25 inch wheeled checked bags) and smaller carry on bags (2x 21 inch wheeled carry on bags).  I will have a camera bag pack and my wife will have a small back pack as well that we plan on using for our time walking around Alaska and the various shore excursions that we signed up for.  Those will be on our possession the entire time.

Question 1)  If I am understanding this correctly we should pack our 2 larger checked bags with the items that are only going to be on the cruise ship?  And the 2 smaller carry on bags would need to contain all of our clothes/shoes/medicines and toiletries for the 3 days on the land?  We can't bring both bags with us?

Question 2) does our smaller carry on bags get put in a storage area on the train from the Denali area back to Whittier while we hold our smaller personal back packs with us on that train ride?

Question 3) if I am understanding this correctly should our larger bags get to us on embarkation day and placed in our rooms?  assuming we properly tagged our bags correctly?

Thanks,  There is a ton to read for this trip and it is getting a little overwhelming considering we have to keep up with all of the covid information as well.  I have been trying to do all of this research on my own so my wife doesn't need to worry about it.

This is all detailed in the Alaskan cruisetour FAQ located here: https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/cruisetours/alaska-cruisetours/

You each get a bag that will follow you on the land tour. You each also get a carry-on, but should note that the restrictions are generally smaller than what the airlines allow. You each also may have a bag or bags that you designate as joining you onboard. After your first stop, you won't see the "join me onboard" bags again until you arrive at the ship.

From the FAQ:

• Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
  • Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains.

You should also be aware that your large bags will be transported seperately from your motorcoach as you move from Fairbanks to Denali, for example, or whatever destinations your tour includes. 

Hope this helps