Anyone seeing any Covid counts on RC ships?

On 4/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, Florida32 said:

They test you even if you show up to medical with sicknesses besides Covid. Possible food poisoning even gets a Covid test. Even if the person shows no signs of Covid. 
Then if someone tests positives all close contacts get tested. 
My friend was a close contact to a crew member and had to get tested. 

They did the same in hospitals, if you went in with a broken leg they tested you for covid and you became a covid patient. Even if you had no symptoms. 

7 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

They did the same in hospitals, if you went in with a broken leg they tested you for covid and you became a covid patient. Even if you had no symptoms. 

I went to Urgent Care a couple of days after we got off EN a couple of weeks ago.  I knew I had a sinus infection but they tested me for Covid and the flu and I was right, neg for both but a PITA sinus infection/sinusitis.  They only tested me because I also had a 100-101 deg temp (well, duh, with sinusitis you have a temp usually).  I knew I didn't have the flu and also that it wasn't Covid.  I joked that I prob wouldn't have been as sick if it was Covid.  My symptoms other than a temp weren't consistent with Covid.  I had a productive cough, not a dry one and tons of sinus symptoms, yet they tested anyway.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:41 AM, hazeleyes46 said:

Exactly, the rules are that you need to be vaccinated but who knows if these vaccines are even still efficient. They could be as efficient as someone unvaccinated who is not allowed to cruise. 

And could be way less effective than immunity from having covid, as my husband did, but they don't ask about that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I was at a dentist office today with 2 dentists, couple hygienists, office workers, etc and only the dentist wore a mask when in room with patients..  no one else was wearing mask, same for waiting room.    I was actually surprised  then I heard a girlfriend say she went to her PCP today and only the doc had on a mask, nurses, receptionist no mask.    Did medical offices in PA just start this week with little or no masking?

I'm in PA also, was in Dr's office Tuesday, masks were  still required, of course, his office is in Philly, don't know if that made a difference.

UGH!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Does every worker there have to be vaccinated?    As we all know. Vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get it.  

I hope your SIL is ok!

I believe they are. Thanks for your kind thoughts. She basically just feels under the weather. No severe issues. Knock on wood!

Jim

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 12:11 PM, gumshoe958 said:

Final day of the TA on Wonder and Captain Henrik just announced “just under 3% of the ship’s community has tested positive”. Assuming that means both passengers and crew, that would be about 170 people.

We just got off the Wonder yesterday as well.  It's interesting that 3% is 10x the number required for the CDC to label a ship as red.  Wonder is no longer in US waters so it's not listed on the CDC site anymore.  I think the real number is likely much higher than 3%.  There was lots of coughing and sniffling going on everywhere for the last 4-5 days.  Without debarkation testing there's no way to know the true number.  We went from the ship to the airport and stood in line for the pre-flight covid testing.  Lots of people wearing royal caribbean face masks and lots of coughing.  Unfortunately both my wife and I tested positive without any real symptoms at the time.  I always have allergies so  I would equate the symptoms to just that.  We're now stuck in Barcelona at a hotel for the next 5-10 days.  I'm still doing fine except for an new bad headache but my wife is having a much rougher time of it.  We're both in good health, fully vaccinated with 2 boosters and as careful as possible.

We loved the cruise and the crew and staff generally did a fantastic job.  I think the biggest risk point was the self-serve buffet.  There were way too many people rubbing their faces and then grabbing the serving spoons.  The tables were wiped between each guest but I wouldn't really call it a disinfection.  I never saw things like salt/pepper shakers getting wiped down.

I'm not saying people shouldn't cruise.  Evaluate the risks on your own but I'd recommend taking extra care in certain areas.  It's easy to get complacent when you see everyone else acting normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hortoni said:

We just got off the Wonder yesterday as well.  It's interesting that 3% is 10x the number required for the CDC to label a ship as red.  Wonder is no longer in US waters so it's not listed on the CDC site anymore.  I think the real number is likely much higher than 3%.  There was lots of coughing and sniffling going on everywhere for the last 4-5 days.  Without debarkation testing there's no way to know the true number.  We went from the ship to the airport and stood in line for the pre-flight covid testing.  Lots of people wearing royal caribbean face masks and lots of coughing.  Unfortunately both my wife and I tested positive without any real symptoms at the time.  I always have allergies so  I would equate the symptoms to just that.  We're now stuck in Barcelona at a hotel for the next 5-10 days.  I'm still doing fine except for an new bad headache but my wife is having a much rougher time of it.  We're both in good health, fully vaccinated with 2 boosters and as careful as possible.

We loved the cruise and the crew and staff generally did a fantastic job.  I think the biggest risk point was the self-serve buffet.  There were way too many people rubbing their faces and then grabbing the serving spoons.  The tables were wiped between each guest but I wouldn't really call it a disinfection.  I never saw things like salt/pepper shakers getting wiped down.

I'm not saying people shouldn't cruise.  Evaluate the risks on your own but I'd recommend taking extra care in certain areas.  It's easy to get complacent when you see everyone else acting normal.

Hope you feel better!  Since you were off the ship I am assuming you are on your own for the 5-10 days.  Is that something travel insurance will cover?

Almost makes you want to report symptoms on board even if you are asymptomatic  so Royal would cover those expenses.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, BND said:

Back at the beginning?  It's a very different illness now.  We lost no one and neither did most people I know. Several extended family members actually caught it way back when but only one was hospitalized and that was for pneumonia but he only needed oxygen, antibiotics and steroids and made a full recovery.   Most family members went into work (no choice due to careers-one is an RN and others work in a secure environment)

You are very lucky to have had that minimal impact on your life. 

13 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

You are very lucky to have had that minimal impact on your life. 

I don't think so as I don't know anyone who had the impact that a very, very few have reported.  I think it's more common than the media leads people to believe.  Our church has over 1,000 regular attendees and we lost  2 elderly who also had other major medical issues and no one that was healthy and our church is very diverse across age and race.   Everyone else I know who had it just didn't get that sick.  At this point, positives just really don't matter much just like the flu, it's a minor inconvenience for those that have any symptoms at all.   Numbers will never be zero, like the flu, pneumonia and other viruses that people basically ignore every year.   As more and more countries are doing,  they've stopped counting cases as they means nothing.  Counting hospitalizations is more important and shows the true story.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going in 9 days, I don't mask at home but I am planning on masking in busy area such as waiting to be seated, in shows and at the buffet. I am also keeping hand sanitizer to use after we go up to the buffet. I was surprised they have it back to pre covid but with the lack of staff I  sure that is why. I also told my mom we will skip the disco party in the packed areas. My son back from college won't be happy about the mask but he starts a job 2 days after vacation and I work in Healthcare so it's a simple thing for us to do. My mom is also with us vaccinated and double boosted and I know she would were a mask.  I am not overally concerned about getting covid but if I can prevent it I am willing to be more careful.

Edited by mar915
  • Like 1

Just got off the Allure (8 day Caribbean cruise). We docked in FLL on Saturday May 28. I live in Palm Beach county so no airport or flights home. Less than 2 days later Mon May 30 I became symptomatic and tested positive for Covid. The timing leads me to conclude I was infected while on board Allure during the latter days of the cruise. Immediately went into self isolation. Symptoms match what one would experience with a severe cold. A little concerned that the cruise lines are not being transparent about Covid. No questions about Covid on the post cruise survey - ignorance is bliss. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hortoni said:

This is allergy season as well as people get colds. I have been doing normal things since May of 2020 and normal public things since May of 2021. I have never gotten covid, without a vaccine and have had a few colds, like normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

I don't think so as I don't know anyone who had the impact that a very, very few have reported.  I think it's more common than the media leads people to believe.  Our church has over 1,000 regular attendees and we lost  2 elderly who also had other major medical issues and no one that was healthy and our church is very diverse across age and race.   Everyone else I know who had it just didn't get that sick.  At this point, positives just really don't matter much just like the flu, it's a minor inconvenience for those that have any symptoms at all.   Numbers will never be zero, like the flu, pneumonia and other viruses that people basically ignore every year.   As more and more countries are doing,  they've stopped counting cases as they means nothing.  Counting hospitalizations is more important and shows the true story.

Exactly. The media increases this and makes people fear. They need to turn off the TV, stop reading the news online and just go and live. Be cautious, especially if you have issues but you should have been doing that before this. 

29 minutes ago, mar915 said:

Going in 9 days, I don't mask at home but I am planning on masking in busy area such as waiting to be seated, in shows and at the buffet. I am also keeping hand sanitizer to use after we go up to the buffet. I was surprised they have it back to pre covid but with the lack of staff I  sure that is why. I also told my mom we will skip the disco party in the packed areas. My son back from college won't be happy about the mask but he starts a job 2 days after vacation and I work in Healthcare so it's a simple thing for us to do. My mom is also with us vaccinated and double boosted and I know she would were a mask.  I am not overally concerned about getting covid but if I can prevent it I am willing to be more careful.

You have never been in any crowded areas, unmasked in the last year? 

28 minutes ago, sherman931 said:

Just got off the Allure (8 day Caribbean cruise). We docked in FLL on Saturday May 28. I live in Palm Beach county so no airport or flights home. Less than 2 days later Mon May 30 I became symptomatic and tested positive for Covid. The timing leads me to conclude I was infected while on board Allure during the latter days of the cruise. Immediately went into self isolation. Symptoms match what one would experience with a severe cold. A little concerned that the cruise lines are not being transparent about Covid. No questions about Covid on the post cruise survey - ignorance is bliss. 

We have to live with Covid and for MOST it IS just a cold now. Do they ask on the survey about other illnesses you might have gotten after the cruise too?

1 hour ago, irishgal432 said:

Hope you feel better!  Since you were off the ship I am assuming you are on your own for the 5-10 days.  Is that something travel insurance will cover?

Almost makes you want to report symptoms on board even if you are asymptomatic  so Royal would cover those expenses.

As of April 30th Royal will no longer pay for quarantine expenses, per their website.   They recommend travel insurance.      

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

As of April 30th Royal will no longer pay for quarantine expenses, per their website.   They recommend travel insurance.      

Maybe that will keep the amount of people running to get tested to a minimum then. Even covid tests are not free anymore on land.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sherman931 said:

The average person tests positive 5 days after contracting the virus.    If you got off the ship 5 days before your test you may got it anywhere you were.  

Hope you feel better!

At this point of time, everyone knows about covid how do the cruiselines need to be more transparent?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hortoni said:

I just got off the Wonder of the Seas also and like you I did not see a real effort on cleaning in the the WindJammer.  General wipe down and people around the food not taking any precautions.  I tested Negative and so was able to make my flight which is another story of coughing and sneezing...without masks.  Good luck and speedy recovery.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mar915 said:

Feel free to do whatever you wish with masking.   I cruised in January when they were mandatory and on land at various islands and they were very annoying on hot days.    Cruised a couple weeks in March and loved no masks anywhere land or sea.   

3 hours ago, hortoni said:

Hope you feel better soon and test negative soon to fly home.

Did you have to go to a specific quarantine hotel?