Anyone seeing any Covid counts on RC ships?

2 hours ago, golfercarol said:

I can absolutely confirm theat Covid on the Wonder TA was NOT PICKED UP AT A PORT STOP.  We sailed from FLL on Wed 4/20 and had no port stops until Saturday 4/30 at Malaga.  My husband began feeling unwell Saturday evening and tested positive on Tuesday 5/3.  Likely he was infected about 7 days into the cruise, 2 or 3 days before our first port stop.

The Wonder OTS management  team was totally unprepared for the huge surge in cases on board.  When my husband tested positive his only instructions were to stay in our cabin and tell me to get tested.  I tested negative and was told I could go wherever I wanted but advised to wear a mask.

This was a TA…passengers were going onward to many different countries.  Ship staff could not tell us what the Spanish protocol would be when we disembarked.  Eventually it was  obvious that all the staff wanted was for the covid passengers to get off the ship.  We were given zero assistance.  We received a letter with a website that tells us we will be reimbursed for the advised 5 day stay in isolation at a place of our choice and with us making all our own reservations 

Fortunately we are experienced independent travelers so my husband proactively reserved us a hotel for 5 nights in Barcelona that has a small kitchenette so we can isolate except for my treks to a grocery.  We had to cancel our trip segments for the 10 days after reaching Barcelona and make revised plans for when he is able to travel.  

My husband’s case was very severe.  Several times I thought we would need to go to hospital.  We are vaccinated and boosted, my husband wore a mask at all times outside our stateroom and we practiced social distancing at every venue. And yet this happened and his symptoms were not like a cold.  He was very ill and weak.

So BEWARE….you donot want this to happen.  The cruise lines are only too happy to increase passenger load and abandon mask requirements.  “washy, washy” is their primary way of prevention.  

We are “ loyal to Royal” frequent passengers.  We are extremely disappointed with the manner in which WONDER OTS handled this outbreak.  

I will end with this…..on the last night of the cruise when covid chaos was going on at very deck, the Captain  included in his announcements for the very first time in 14 days that 3% of the 3,000+ passengers were reported positive.  .the one and only time he even said the word covid.

Sorry your husband got Covid 😓

And it’s so crazy Royal didn’t have you quarantine as well…..I’ve also read similar comments on Carnival where the one guest was quarantined and the cabin mate was able to still go anywhere…..later(3 days) she tested positive 😷😳

And I’ve watched huge crowded lines recently on the Royal Alaska cruise at Embark where people were waiting in line for 3-4 hours and 90% had no masks 😷😳🙈

I know masks are optional now but people need to at least use some common sense when in large crowed areas 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LaCal said:

I know masks are optional now but people need to at least use some common sense when in large crowed areas 

I think even more important than people wearing masks is that people need to start to take personal responsibility for their own health. If you are high risk for Covid disease maybe you shouldn’t be on a cruise? You can see that people are on these cruises that are over 65 and or obese so I’m sure there are people with other risk factors you can’t see like diabetes, heart disease, lung diseases, cancer….

For the younger than 65 and healthy people, Covid is not really concerning anymore than any other viruses that gets spread on ships. Especially when you’re vaccinated.

• Like 3

Looking that COVID hit travelers that were caucious before and during the curise by wearing masks etc the question needs to be raised again if the AC system on the ship is the problem and the virus can spread from a cabin with some having Covid to other cabins or to from venues. Hence, the whole concept with getting back to ships at full capacity does not work and in case a new serious variant will come this can end up in another desaster(s).

Not to forget Wonder is a brand new Ship, so I really hope it's not the AC system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

A friend of mine just died from Covid about a month ago. She was healthy before she got it. She spent about 7 weeks in the hospital, the last 3 on a vent. She was not vaccinated. So yes, people are still dying from it. 

Unvaccinated is the key word here.  Vaccinated people aren't in the same situation.   People are also still dying from the flu, pneumonia, etc every year, mainly due to not being vaccinated.  It is still not the same disease as it was at the beginning.

Edited by BND

We took ship excursions when we reached the ports.  When we boarded each bus, we were told to wear a mask. It was mandatory.   People were taking their masks off as soon as they sat down.  And some of those people were sneezing...coughing...repeatedly.  They were obviously not well and spreading their germs in a contained bus. It is disrespectful not to wear a mask if told to wear one AND especially if you are spreading germs. I believe this is possibly how I caught covid.  OR...my cabin attendant informed us that people 3 cabins down the hall from us each came down with covid...as well as their friends.  If the cabin attendant went from their cabin to mine, can she possibly spread it?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SLSL said:

We took ship excursions when we reached the ports.  When we boarded each bus, we were told to wear a mask. It was mandatory.   People were taking their masks off as soon as they sat down.  And some of those people were sneezing...coughing...repeatedly.  They were obviously not well and spreading their germs in a contained bus. It is disrespectful not to wear a mask if told to wear one AND especially if you are spreading germs. I believe this is possibly how I caught covid.  OR...my cabin attendant informed us that people 3 cabins down the hall from us each came down with covid...as well as their friends.  If the cabin attendant went from their cabin to mine, can she possibly spread it?  

Probably caught it in the bus.  Highly unlikely the cabin attendant could spread it.  The virus does not work that way.  If the bus made you uncomfortable you could always have gotten off before the excursion started.  

17 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Probably caught it in the bus.  Highly unlikely the cabin attendant could spread it.  The virus does not work that way.  If the bus made you uncomfortable you could always have gotten off before the excursion started.  

We changed our seats. 

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

How long was your cruise ? Seems to me short, less than 7 days, cruises are the way to go. So many stories of people testing positive once home

7 days.

My husband and kids, who weren’t on the cruise, are fine. I’m quarantined in our basement.

(At least I’m still getting room service 😁)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

A friend of mine just died from Covid about a month ago. She was healthy before she got it. She spent about 7 weeks in the hospital, the last 3 on a vent. She was not vaccinated. So yes, people are still dying from it. 

Sorry for your loss.   

I wonder if she wished she had got vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:29 AM, irishgal432 said:

Hope you feel better!  Since you were off the ship I am assuming you are on your own for the 5-10 days.  Is that something travel insurance will cover?

Almost makes you want to report symptoms on board even if you are asymptomatic  so Royal would cover those expenses.

We're doing ok and feeling mostly normal except for some occasional coughing.  We've been able to walk around outside to get some fresh air and avoid people.  I spoke to Royal the day it happened and they told me they would reimburse up to 10 days of hotel at $250 per day plus $100 per day for food.  I really hope they follow through on that as things are getting expensive fast.  We took another test yesterday (rapid from pharmacy) and both showed positive almost immediately.  We could be here for up to 11 days but hope to be able to go home sooner.  We do have travel insurance to fall back on for anything that Royal won't cover.  We were booked on the Queen Mary 2 back to the US tomorrow and obviously had to cancel that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLSL said:

It is also allergy season so it is difficult to tell the difference when someone coughs or sneezes.   I believe most people are not worrying about catching covid since it is basically a cold for vaccinated people.   

I agree if told must wear mask on bus they should respect the rules but a lot do not.

6 hours ago, golfercarol said:

I can absolutely confirm theat Covid on the Wonder TA was NOT PICKED UP AT A PORT STOP.  We sailed from FLL on Wed 4/20 and had no port stops until Saturday 4/30 at Malaga.  My husband began feeling unwell Saturday evening and tested positive on Tuesday 5/3.  Likely he was infected about 7 days into the cruise, 2 or 3 days before our first port stop.

The Wonder OTS management  team was totally unprepared for the huge surge in cases on board.  When my husband tested positive his only instructions were to stay in our cabin and tell me to get tested.  I tested negative and was told I could go wherever I wanted but advised to wear a mask.

This was a TA…passengers were going onward to many different countries.  Ship staff could not tell us what the Spanish protocol would be when we disembarked.  Eventually it was  obvious that all the staff wanted was for the covid passengers to get off the ship.  We were given zero assistance.  We received a letter with a website that tells us we will be reimbursed for the advised 5 day stay in isolation at a place of our choice and with us making all our own reservations 

Fortunately we are experienced independent travelers so my husband proactively reserved us a hotel for 5 nights in Barcelona that has a small kitchenette so we can isolate except for my treks to a grocery.  We had to cancel our trip segments for the 10 days after reaching Barcelona and make revised plans for when he is able to travel.  

My husband’s case was very severe.  Several times I thought we would need to go to hospital.  We are vaccinated and boosted, my husband wore a mask at all times outside our stateroom and we practiced social distancing at every venue. And yet this happened and his symptoms were not like a cold.  He was very ill and weak.

So BEWARE….you donot want this to happen.  The cruise lines are only too happy to increase passenger load and abandon mask requirements.  “washy, washy” is their primary way of prevention.  

We are “ loyal to Royal” frequent passengers.  We are extremely disappointed with the manner in which WONDER OTS handled this outbreak.  

I will end with this…..on the last night of the cruise when covid chaos was going on at very deck, the Captain  included in his announcements for the very first time in 14 days that 3% of the 3,000+ passengers were reported positive.  .the one and only time he even said the word covid.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.  We were on Wonder as well and both tested positive at the airport less than an hour after debarkation. We're stuck in Barcelona and were told by the Covid Care Team at RCL that they would reimburse us for up to 10 days of hotel and meals.  We're still testing positive with only minor symptoms.  From what I can see, the EU government requires 11 days after the positive test before the certificate of recovery can be issued.  I'm not sure how Royal is able to issue those to people after 5 days. 

We're both also pretty disappointed that the Captain didn't say anything until the last night.  3% is 10x the orange threshold for CDC on cruise ships so it should have been a much bigger deal.  If they had informed guests as soon as positive cases were found it might have cut down on the spread.  I'd bet the windjammer buffet was a high source of transmission.

We hope you both feel better and get to go home soon.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, golfercarol said:

So sorry to hear of the difficulties your husband is having with Covid.   I hope he is feeling better now and that you both will test negative to proceed with your travels.

At least you were able to stay with him in your original cabin and not have him sent to a quarantine cabin to be on his own while he was so sick.   Best wishes for everyone.

5 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Looking that COVID hit travelers that were caucious before and during the curise by wearing masks etc the question needs to be raised again if the AC system on the ship is the problem and the virus can spread from a cabin with some having Covid to other cabins or to from venues. Hence, the whole concept with getting back to ships at full capacity does not work and in case a new serious variant will come this can end up in another desaster(s).

Not to forget Wonder is a brand new Ship, so I really hope it's not the AC system.

People can wear a mask all day walking around the ship, seeing shows, etc. but do have to take it off when they eat.     This is exactly why I have been asking for a table in MDR that is not right next to other tables.  It was easier to accommodate when capacity was low but now some ships are sailing at or near 100% capacity.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BearsAhoy said:

Disembarked Radiance this morning. Obviously I had tested negative before the cruise, felt healthy through the cruise until thIs morning when my voice was really croaky and I had a bit of a cough. I tested as soon as I got home, and got a faint positive. Retested just now and it’s definitely positive.

I wore a KN95 in all public spaces except when I was actively eating or drinking. (And the one time I went in a hot tub, because a wet mask wouldn’t be any use anyway.)

I hope you feel better soon and the rest of your family remains negative.    

I guess as positive cases are increasing onboard they must be increasing on the islands too.    

It is not easy to wear a mask while at port on a hot sunny day.     I know I had difficulty doing that on my January sailing when masks were mandatory.    

23 minutes ago, butterfly4108 said:

I don't know if it was your particular ship but my daughter lives in Seattle and texted me that their news said there was a cruise ship docked there this morning with over 100 cases of covid...here we go again!😟

Yahoo news says no serious cases…

4 hours ago, hortoni said:

Sorry to hear this happened to you.  We were on Wonder as well and both tested positive at the airport less than an hour after debarkation. We're stuck in Barcelona and were told by the Covid Care Team at RCL that they would reimburse us for up to 10 days of hotel and meals.  We're still testing positive with only minor symptoms.  From what I can see, the EU government requires 11 days after the positive test before the certificate of recovery can be issued.  I'm not sure how Royal is able to issue those to people after 5 days. 

We're both also pretty disappointed that the Captain didn't say anything until the last night.  3% is 10x the orange threshold for CDC on cruise ships so it should have been a much bigger deal.  If they had informed guests as soon as positive cases were found it might have cut down on the spread.  I'd bet the windjammer buffet was a high source of transmission.

We hope you both feel better and get to go home soon.

We, too, are still in Barcelona…in a suite hotel that comes in just under the Royal daily reimbursement because it has a tiny kitchenette so we can isolate…..I go to the grocery to get our food…which is fine since my husband has little appetite.  We do not allow housekeeping to come in, merely asking for towels and trash removal….They have yet to question this thankfully. I have made multiple visits to farmacías for cough syrup and throat lozenges ….I appreciate my “Itranslate” app which helps me communicate my needs to the farmacía….

It remains a complete mystery to us where he could have been infected since he was not active in venues or activities and he always wore a mask …..we were on the short bus ride one-way in Malaga from ship to drop off but seems clear he was already infected….so on day 10 with no one able to get on or off ship before….passengers carrying virus but not yet showing up on the pre- cruise covid test?  We think the Captain had an obligation to begin communication about the number of cases much sooner, agreed?  His message  on the last night was insulting to say the least….yes, sooner comments from him in his daily broadcast might have helped….this is headquarters telling the ship what messaging to provide….

We anticipate that the assured reimbursement process will be a total mightmare….no form provided…just send an email with receipts..?  that will be some fun negotiating the system.  This was the headquarters in Miami telling the ship to just get the passengers off the ship and main office  would deal with the aftermath.

Still, we tonite are grateful that we seem to be getting better each day and the feared trip to a Barcelona hospital grows less worrisome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, golfercarol said:

We, too, are still in Barcelona…in a suite hotel that comes in just under the Royal daily reimbursement because it has a tiny kitchenette so we can isolate…..I go to the grocery to get our food…which is fine since my husband has little appetite.  We do not allow housekeeping to come in, merely asking for towels and trash removal….They have yet to question this thankfully. I have made multiple visits to farmacías for cough syrup and throat lozenges ….I appreciate my “Itranslate” app which helps me communicate my needs to the farmacía….

It remains a complete mystery to us where he could have been infected since he was not active in venues or activities and he always wore a mask …..we were on the short bus ride one-way in Malaga from ship to drop off but seems clear he was already infected….so on day 10 with no one able to get on or off ship before….passengers carrying virus but not yet showing up on the pre- cruise covid test?  We think the Captain had an obligation to begin communication about the number of cases much sooner, agreed?  His message  on the last night was insulting to say the least….yes, sooner comments from him in his daily broadcast might have helped….this is headquarters telling the ship what messaging to provide….

We anticipate that the assured reimbursement process will be a total mightmare….no form provided…just send an email with receipts..?  that will be some fun negotiating the system.  This was the headquarters in Miami telling the ship to just get the passengers off the ship and main office  would deal with the aftermath.

Still, we tonite are grateful that we seem to be getting better each day and the feared trip to a Barcelona hospital grows less worrisome.

Glad you are both getting better.  Our hotel too is just at the limit.  No kitchenette but it does have windows that open and a separate seating room outside of the bedroom.  We have been able to go out but are keeping away from people and not eating inside restaurants.  I'm calling Royal again tomorrow for more clarification on procedures.  Since we tested positive at the airport they initially didn't want to talk to us but there's no way we caught it and tested positive during a 20 minute taxi ride from the ship.  I think it's going to be a nightmare as well.

Would you mind sending me a pm with the details of the letter they gave you?  It might be helpful information to have. 

They certainly should have been more forthcoming with information.  We noticed a huge increase in the number of people wearing masks on the ship in the last few days so I'm guessing the word was out but we somehow missed it.  Like anything else, there's lots of contradictory information floating around on facebook and forums but it does look like it was a much bigger issue than they want to admit.

Keep recovering and I hope you get to go home soon!

4 hours ago, butterfly4108 said:

I don't know if it was your particular ship but my daughter lives in Seattle and texted me that their news said there was a cruise ship docked there this morning with over 100 cases of covid...here we go again!😟

Unless you heard different this happened 4 Days ago, Carnival completing a 16niter with this one the longest in restart. The 100+ number was a Passenger speaking, possible but no confirmation. Though with a long Sailing, extra testing they did onboard, maybe. Only info released from Line was almost all Positive Cases were Asymptomatic... 

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 5/5/2022 at 6:08 AM, hortoni said:

We just got off the Wonder yesterday as well.  It's interesting that 3% is 10x the number required for the CDC to label a ship as red.  Wonder is no longer in US waters so it's not listed on the CDC site anymore.  I think the real number is likely much higher than 3%.  There was lots of coughing and sniffling going on everywhere for the last 4-5 days.  Without debarkation testing there's no way to know the true number.  We went from the ship to the airport and stood in line for the pre-flight covid testing.  Lots of people wearing royal caribbean face masks and lots of coughing.  Unfortunately both my wife and I tested positive without any real symptoms at the time.  I always have allergies so  I would equate the symptoms to just that.  We're now stuck in Barcelona at a hotel for the next 5-10 days.  I'm still doing fine except for an new bad headache but my wife is having a much rougher time of it.  We're both in good health, fully vaccinated with 2 boosters and as careful as possible.

We loved the cruise and the crew and staff generally did a fantastic job.  I think the biggest risk point was the self-serve buffet.  There were way too many people rubbing their faces and then grabbing the serving spoons.  The tables were wiped between each guest but I wouldn't really call it a disinfection.  I never saw things like salt/pepper shakers getting wiped down.

I'm not saying people shouldn't cruise.  Evaluate the risks on your own but I'd recommend taking extra care in certain areas.  It's easy to get complacent when you see everyone else acting normal.

I cough and sniffle constantly this time of year, allergies, I hate that i have to constantly say I have allergies not covid!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:06 AM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I think even more important than people wearing masks is that people need to start to take personal responsibility for their own health. If you are high risk for Covid disease maybe you shouldn’t be on a cruise?

I would modify the second sentence to "if you are high risk for serious illness, hospitalization and death from Covid." 

On 5/7/2022 at 7:06 AM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

You can see that people are on these cruises that are over 65 and or obese so I’m sure there are people with other risk factors you can’t see like diabetes, heart disease, lung diseases, cancer….

Eliminating 'over 65' would cut 30%+- of the cruise passenger historic demographics out of cruising resulting in a 70% capacity (nice for others) in which the cruise lines would be hard to operate at for long profitably without drastic price increases.

Eliminating the 'obese' would be a 'big' percentage also.

Further eliminating those with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and cancer will further reduce the passenger capacities very significantly.

So, those under 65 and perfectly healthy (currently) can enjoy a pretty wide open ship, just not for very long.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hortoni said:

Glad you are both getting better.  Our hotel too is just at the limit.  No kitchenette but it does have windows that open and a separate seating room outside of the bedroom.  We have been able to go out but are keeping away from people and not eating inside restaurants.  I'm calling Royal again tomorrow for more clarification on procedures.  Since we tested positive at the airport they initially didn't want to talk to us but there's no way we caught it and tested positive during a 20 minute taxi ride from the ship.  I think it's going to be a nightmare as well.

Would you mind sending me a pm with the details of the letter they gave you?  It might be helpful information to have. 

They certainly should have been more forthcoming with information.  We noticed a huge increase in the number of people wearing masks on the ship in the last few days so I'm guessing the word was out but we somehow missed it.  Like anything else, there's lots of contradictory information floating around on facebook and forums but it does look like it was a much bigger issue than they want to admit.

Keep recovering and I hope you get to go home soon!

send me your email address to bermuda1155atgmaildotcom…..we will screenshot the letter and send it your way.

I guess we are “ lucky” that positive test was on the ship so we do not have to prove when/where.  but getting any compensation will be a hassle…..but having our entire trip upended with an unplanned stay in Spain is not what we should have to deal with.

We are having an uneven slight improvement each day but this is much slower recovery than a common cold.   My husband is now 8 days after first symptoms and he has no stamina….We go out each day for a brief walk and he manages maybe 5 blocks before he must sit and rest.  We wear masks and try to enjoy being outside in thr sun.  But this is very challenging and it is easy to be depressed.

• Like 1