Anyone seeing any Covid counts on RC ships?

26 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Unvaccinated (especially older folks) typically get sicker than those who are vaccinated.  Maybe the cruiselines are trying to avoid having unlimited numbers of people who get very sick vs those who are vaccinated test  positive, but do not require interevention, such as hospitalization.  And before this becomes a big debate, I understand some vaccinated can also get quite sick, but that is not typical.  

From the most recent CDC update (granted that's been a while)  there were only a few dozen (in the 40s if I recall) passengers out of hundreds of thousands who needed hospitalized at some point after testing positive on board the ship.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

Something is not working if 3% test positive.  Elevators were extremely crowded and no spacing in the shows could be a contributing cause.  Stayed out of elevators and selected seating away from crowd.  Must have worked as not tested positive.

I too just got off the Wonder and wonder how that number is so LOW  ,  It seems like I know 3% on the ship that was positive , but of course I don't but there are a heck of of a lot more than 3%

They were closing of 3 Forward decks for covid I think it was 5,6, and 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

the friends and family of the 1,000,000 Americans would have a different opinion than yours. Average age at death has dropped 18 months, biggest drop since WWII. We have lost more Americans than all wars since the Civil War. Just because your little view of the world is narrow doesn't mean it's not happening. Ask a health care worker what their experience has been. 

There's no doubt it's been a rough couple years.  Keeping it in perspective tho...case counts today are lower than they were last summer.  It a virus that we will deal with for some time to come, and fortunately a lot less to deal with than what we had a couple years ago.

3 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

There's no doubt it's been a rough couple years.  Keeping it in perspective tho...case counts today are lower than they were last summer.  It a virus that we will deal with for some time to come, and fortunately a lot less to deal with than what we had a couple years ago.

Plus, we have vaccines and therapeutics that were not available at first.  Where we live things are back to normal.  Occasionally you will see someone wearing a mask.  We just got back from a land vacation and other then a handful of people wearing masks it was business as before.  Crowds, no mask mandates, no testing, no vaccination requirements etc.  It was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

case counts today are lower than they were last summer. 

case counts are meaningless, especially as many areas continue to insist on testing healthy people (something some countries have stopped doing)

The fact that hospitalizations remain near record lows (with many of those not even truly hospitalized for covid) is all that matters.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Asked someone from medical department if any cases on Jewel and the answer was none. We're ok.

Good to hear.  I was booked on your cruise but cancelled a couple months ago for non-Covid reasons.  In a touch of irony, I happened to test positive on April 27, the day I would have needed to do a test had  I not cancelled......

• Like 1

Just returned home from the Wonder sailing on 4/20 and tested positive with Covid this morning.  Stayed one night in Barcelona after debarkation so we could test (emed) in the hotel and fly home the next day. Test was negative...all was great.  Next day, long travel day and long flight home.  Started to not feel great on the plane...stuffy nose, that was it. Woke up this morning with chills, fever...so tested myself and it was positive.  Had a telemed video call with my doctor who said I definitly had covid on the cruise because the positive results on rapid tests take a few days to show.  A few days ago, I was on the ship. I feel so lucky that I was able to fly home and deal with covid recovery in my home vs getting stuck in Barcelona for ??? how long.   But...I was on the cruise and an airplane and I had covid...I just did not know it.    There were probably others in the same situation. As of now, my husband is fine, hope it stays that way.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, SLSL said:

Just returned home from the Wonder sailing on 4/20 and tested positive with Covid this morning.  Stayed one night in Barcelona after debarkation so we could test (emed) in the hotel and fly home the next day. Test was negative...all was great.  Next day, long travel day and long flight home.  Started to not feel great on the plane...stuffy nose, that was it. Woke up this morning with chills, fever...so tested myself and it was positive.  Had a telemed video call with my doctor who said I definitly had covid on the cruise because the positive results on rapid tests take a few days to show.  A few days ago, I was on the ship. I feel so lucky that I was able to fly home and deal with covid recovery in my home vs getting stuck in Barcelona for ??? how long.   But...I was on the cruise and an airplane and I had covid...I just did not know it.    There were probably others in the same situation. As of now, my husband is fine, hope it stays that way.

I wonder if people on Wonder picked up Covid at one of the port stops.     Other crossings don't seem to be having any problems (so far).      I heard it takes about 5 days to test positive with a rapid Antigen test.        

Yup, lots of people traveling, flying, etc. that have no clue they are transmitting covid.     At least majority of them only get a cold or nothing.    I feel bad for the passengers that weren't as lucky as you and now have to quarantine in Barcelona and wonder when they will test negative to fly back to US.     

Based on the live review done here, looks like you had a great crossing with terrific weather almost every day.   

I hope you feel better soon. 🤩

• Like 3

Just read an interesting article about RCL and Carnival having plague ships for sick cruise workers! That’s what crew calls these ships. Cruise lines save money on not putting Sick workers on land, also don’t have to report numbers.
Grandeur was one, some cruises canceled because of outbreaks

! And I’m booked and going next week.

Wishing I’d stop reading stuff.

Hopefully it’ll all be good. But good to know about what’s going on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cementhands said:

Just read an interesting article about RCL and Carnival having plague ships for sick cruise workers! That’s what crew calls these ships. Cruise lines save money on not putting Sick workers on land, also don’t have to report numbers.

Old, old news.  

On 5/5/2022 at 7:09 AM, smokeybandit said:

No one has ever gotten covid from 2 minutes in an elevator. Just like no one has ever gotten covid walking from the entrance to a restaurant to their table.

How do you know that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SLSL said:

It ironic that I know a lady from the same cruise who had the same situation.  Were you on DL 195?  She was glad to do it all at home.

45 minutes ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

It ironic that I know a lady from the same cruise who had the same situation.  Were you on DL 195?  She was glad to do it all at home.

No - we flew on TAP Portugal.  

• Thanks 1

Have to tip my cap to NCL.  They required fully vaccinated cruises.  Celebrity only allowed children on their cruises.  Royal initially had some silly non-vaccinated areas on this ships to go along with some masked/no masked areas on ships.  They finally came around and followed their Celebrity sister ships.  So, they made vacationing on their ships safe.

Don’t see them changing anything that made their re-lunch successful.

Vaccination rates are high.  Took a while, but that has curbed COVID rates overall dramatically in North America.

Don’t want to rock the boat, per se.  Just like being refused boarding if you have noro, flu symptoms, etc….no vaccinations?  No cruise.

That’s the way it is now, and probably the foreseeable future,  more likely another step required from now on to embark on their ships.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cementhands said:

That was months ago when Omicron was blowing up everywhere.  I do not think Grandeur was a covid ship.   I know Jewel was on but I forget the 2 other ships.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That was months ago when Omicron was blowing up everywhere.  I do not think Grandeur was a covid ship.   I know Jewel was on but I forget the 2 other ships.   

I think Vision was one.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, BND said:

Back at the beginning?  It's a very different illness now.  We lost no one and neither did most people I know. Several extended family members actually caught it way back when but only one was hospitalized and that was for pneumonia but he only needed oxygen, antibiotics and steroids and made a full recovery.   Most family members went into work (no choice due to careers-one is an RN and others work in a secure environment)

A friend of mine just died from Covid about a month ago. She was healthy before she got it. She spent about 7 weeks in the hospital, the last 3 on a vent. She was not vaccinated. So yes, people are still dying from it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Disembarked Radiance this morning. Obviously I had tested negative before the cruise, felt healthy through the cruise until thIs morning when my voice was really croaky and I had a bit of a cough. I tested as soon as I got home, and got a faint positive. Retested just now and it’s definitely positive.

I wore a KN95 in all public spaces except when I was actively eating or drinking. (And the one time I went in a hot tub, because a wet mask wouldn’t be any use anyway.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BearsAhoy said:

Disembarked Radiance this morning. Obviously I had tested negative before the cruise, felt healthy through the cruise until thIs morning when my voice was really croaky and I had a bit of a cough. I tested as soon as I got home, and got a faint positive. Retested just now and it’s definitely positive.

I wore a KN95 in all public spaces except when I was actively eating or drinking. (And the one time I went in a hot tub, because a wet mask wouldn’t be any use anyway.)

How long was your cruise ? Seems to me short, less than 7 days, cruises are the way to go. So many stories of people testing positive once home

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, sgmn said:

How long was your cruise ? Seems to me short, less than 7 days, cruises are the way to go. So many stories of people testing positive once home

I would much rather have it at home and not onboard. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I wonder if people on Wonder picked up Covid at one of the port stops.     Other crossings don't seem to be having any problems (so far).      I heard it takes about 5 days to test positive with a rapid Antigen test.        

Yup, lots of people traveling, flying, etc. that have no clue they are transmitting covid.     At least majority of them only get a cold or nothing.    I feel bad for the passengers that weren't as lucky as you and now have to quarantine in Barcelona and wonder when they will test negative to fly back to US.     

Based on the live review done here, looks like you had a great crossing with terrific weather almost every day.   

I hope you feel better soon. 🤩

I can absolutely confirm theat Covid on the Wonder TA was NOT PICKED UP AT A PORT STOP.  We sailed from FLL on Wed 4/20 and had no port stops until Saturday 4/30 at Malaga.  My husband began feeling unwell Saturday evening and tested positive on Tuesday 5/3.  Likely he was infected about 7 days into the cruise, 2 or 3 days before our first port stop.

The Wonder OTS management  team was totally unprepared for the huge surge in cases on board.  When my husband tested positive his only instructions were to stay in our cabin and tell me to get tested.  I tested negative and was told I could go wherever I wanted but advised to wear a mask.

This was a TA…passengers were going onward to many different countries.  Ship staff could not tell us what the Spanish protocol would be when we disembarked.  Eventually it was  obvious that all the staff wanted was for the covid passengers to get off the ship.  We were given zero assistance.  We received a letter with a website that tells us we will be reimbursed for the advised 5 day stay in isolation at a place of our choice and with us making all our own reservations 

Fortunately we are experienced independent travelers so my husband proactively reserved us a hotel for 5 nights in Barcelona that has a small kitchenette so we can isolate except for my treks to a grocery.  We had to cancel our trip segments for the 10 days after reaching Barcelona and make revised plans for when he is able to travel.  

My husband’s case was very severe.  Several times I thought we would need to go to hospital.  We are vaccinated and boosted, my husband wore a mask at all times outside our stateroom and we practiced social distancing at every venue. And yet this happened and his symptoms were not like a cold.  He was very ill and weak.

So BEWARE….you donot want this to happen.  The cruise lines are only too happy to increase passenger load and abandon mask requirements.  “washy, washy” is their primary way of prevention.  

We are “ loyal to Royal” frequent passengers.  We are extremely disappointed with the manner in which WONDER OTS handled this outbreak.  

I will end with this…..on the last night of the cruise when covid chaos was going on at very deck, the Captain  included in his announcements for the very first time in 14 days that 3% of the 3,000+ passengers were reported positive.  .the one and only time he even said the word covid.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, golfercarol said:

I can absolutely confirm theat Covid on the Wonder TA was NOT PICKED UP AT A PORT STOP.  We sailed from FLL on Wed 4/20 and had no port stops until Saturday 4/30 at Malaga.  My husband began feeling unwell Saturday evening and tested positive on Tuesday 5/3.  Likely he was infected about 7 days into the cruise, 2 or 3 days before our first port stop.

The Wonder OTS management  team was totally unprepared for the huge surge in cases on board.  When my husband tested positive his only instructions were to stay in our cabin and tell me to get tested.  I tested negative and was told I could go wherever I wanted but advised to wear a mask.

This was a TA…passengers were going onward to many different countries.  Ship staff could not tell us what the Spanish protocol would be when we disembarked.  Eventually it was  obvious that all the staff wanted was for the covid passengers to get off the ship.  We were given zero assistance.  We received a letter with a website that tells us we will be reimbursed for the advised 5 day stay in isolation at a place of our choice and with us making all our own reservations 

Fortunately we are experienced independent travelers so my husband proactively reserved us a hotel for 5 nights in Barcelona that has a small kitchenette so we can isolate except for my treks to a grocery.  We had to cancel our trip segments for the 10 days after reaching Barcelona and make revised plans for when he is able to travel.  

My husband’s case was very severe.  Several times I thought we would need to go to hospital.  We are vaccinated and boosted, my husband wore a mask at all times outside our stateroom and we practiced social distancing at every venue. And yet this happened and his symptoms were not like a cold.  He was very ill and weak.

So BEWARE….you donot want this to happen.  The cruise lines are only too happy to increase passenger load and abandon mask requirements.  “washy, washy” is their primary way of prevention.  

We are “ loyal to Royal” frequent passengers.  We are extremely disappointed with the manner in which WONDER OTS handled this outbreak.  

I will end with this…..on the last night of the cruise when covid chaos was going on at very deck, the Captain  included in his announcements for the very first time in 14 days that 3% of the 3,000+ passengers were reported positive.  .the one and only time he even said the word covid.

So sorry this happened to you. There needs to be a better plan for those in quarantine .

I hope you feed back to head office in MIA your direct experiences 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfercarol said:

Thanks for posting, going soon, wishing we were not!
Too soon and not enough protection onboard. Bringing mask, testing kits so we know if we get sick.
But as we’re cruising this Thursday I don’t know how to get all my money back?

We don’t have covid19, we do have RCL insurance.

• Like 2