I am always a little anxious- till I actually am checked in and waiting to get on ship!

oldmom

5 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Before I retired, I didn’t relax until the ship was actually moving and there would be nothing I could do if notified of a work emergency.  Now that I am retired, just being on board is enough for me.

This is me too!!  Glad to know it will get better when I retire!  Only 15 years to go! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATG said:

Me too.  We are on Mariner in a little over a week.  I know I’m driving DH crazy.  Yesterday I went over my mental flowchart of “what if’s”.  If DS tests positive early Thursday then…..  Today I went through what gets done when next week (mail hold, at home pre-test, cleaning, laundry, etc.). Luckily, after 47 years he’s used to it.  The minute we are through check in I breathe a BIG sigh of relief.

Hmmm...guessing, "Sea you on board"?  😉 

Covid  test already scheduled for Walgreens drive up on the 5th.   The ONLY thing I worry about (just a little) ...everything else...is just routine.  

3 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

the negative test is the biggest stressor... i started to take a home test first, before the proctored one. cause if my home test is positive, i won't waste the e-med version. and if it's negative, i know i have nothing to worry about.

We did the same thing today.  Our proctored test is tomorrow but we have some of the OTC ones that the government sent laying around.  I suggested we use a couple so we could start packing in peace.  At least we know tomorrow's tests will be negative.  The "ArriveCAN" thing is annoying too if you are going to or through Canada.  We are crossing both Canada/Alaska and Bermuda off our list until they stop being so "extra". 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Before I retired, I didn’t relax until the ship was actually moving and there would be nothing I could do if notified of a work emergency. 

For years I would deliberately choose vacation destinations with no cell service because of my husband's pesty job.  Back in the day places like Yellowstone and Kawaii and, of course, cruises were great for that.

6 hours ago, island lady said:

I am only (a bit) anxious waiting to get my Covid test for boarding.  Always assuming I can be "positive

about being negative".....but assuming is never a good thing.  😮 

That was me for my past 6 cruises post covid, until I tested positive on the pre cruise test.🤧  Now I dont have anxiety .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

That was me for my past 6 cruises post covid, until I tested positive on the pre cruise test.🤧  Now I dont have anxiety .

I feel like now it's more a matter of when rather than if I will test positive.  .  Next up is next Friday for my last L and S.😇

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I feel like now it's more a matter of when rather than if I will test positive.  .  Next up is next Friday for my last L and S.😇

I hear you.  I was very careful and it still got me.  Although I would have never known I had it if I didnt have to test for the cruise, so in that respect I am glad they had the testing.  My symptom was a sneeze and I would have never tested for that.  We did 2 weeks on Odyessy/symphony with those great l/s from Empress. So glad I tested positive for the previous sailing!

13 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

Did you have to cancel the cruise?  Very sad...and so frustrating.  

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Have a fantabulous cruise Ellen....and all the best wishes for a negative test!  🙂  

My appointment with Walgreens drive through is the 5th for our Mariner cruise on the 7th.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

I hear you.  I was very careful and it still got me.  Although I would have never known I had it if I didnt have to test for the cruise, so in that respect I am glad they had the testing.  My symptom was a sneeze and I would have never tested for that.  We did 2 weeks on Odyessy/symphony with those great l/s from Empress. So glad I tested positive for the previous sailing!

😳, only sneezing?  Headache or sore throat?

3 minutes ago, lovetocruise/diamond said:

😳, only sneezing?  Headache or sore throat?

Some have absolutely no symptoms at all.  That is what makes me uneasy when I go for the required test.  No idea, no warning...and a lost cruise.  😞 

22 minutes ago, lovetocruise/diamond said:

Insane, sorry.  We are always worried every time we test. 

Fortunately, and excuse me while I "knock on wood" on my desk....have not tested positive yet.  But I am always anxious when I go for the test. 

Next one is the 5th...to cruise the 7th.  Hopefully.  😮 

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Did you have to cancel the cruise?  Very sad...and so frustrating.  

Yes I had to cancel as it was 2 days before.  It was a last minute cheap rate on the first saiing of  the Jewel.  It could have been worse if I would have gotten it 2 weeksonmy s2sOdyessy/Symphony.

• Like 2

I’m always double and triple checking everything.  

Will the flight be on time?  Will they lose our bags again? Is the cabby going to try to take us for a ride?  I normally start relaxing when on board the ship but this last cruise it took 2 days after having to change cities/ flights due to weather. Issues with our cabin added stress too.  

Although traffic can be an issue I’m glad we are driving for our next cruise.

The testing just adds to the drama of getting on board. I don’t even like to pack until I’m sure I’m going. Can not wait until they get rid of the testing requirements.

Is it all worth it?     Absolutely!

• Like 1

Well one worry is over-negative COVID tests- it was a little pricey-but worth it to do the EMED test. Everything is printed and on the phone ,too. Now if we survive Indy speedway-I-95 crazy drivers-should be good.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I never pack until the day before the cruise.   With testing two days before....that part of the worry is out of the way by then...hopefully.  

I also don't pack until the day before departure from home but unfortunately for us on this occasion we are leaving 2 days before the cruise and the test time frame is no more than one day before which means travelling to our port city with the covid test cloud still hanging over us. 😕

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 2:50 PM, johnjen said:

OP, you're not the only one that goes through pre-cruise anxiety thanks to these dumb tests. I hope that they go away soon, along with the psychotic paranoia it has generated for some.

My paranoia isn't just related to the tests.  I do this every cruise, even in the Before Times.

I'm so glad that I'm not alone. I, too, drive my husband crazy with my anxiety. Even though it ALWAYS works out, I can't help it. I'm sailing out of Port Canaveral this year, so the anxiety surrounding flying to Orlando and getting to PC was really bad until I decided to just cough up the extra $250ish to rent a car (and pay for parking at a Disney hotel for a few days before). I kept on obsessing over whether or not an Uber would be available or a shuttle would pick up on time or a million other things. Ugh! I wasn't like this 10 years ago!

Don't get me started about the COVID test anxiety... 🤣

• Like 1

We live 20 miles from Seattle. Never done an Alaska cruise. All cruises since 1989 have been either from Fort Lauderdale (about as far away from Seattle you can get on the mainland US) or from Europe (Rome and Barcelona, next year from Southampton).  We are both retirees so work is never a problem!

ALWAYS arrive at least a week in advance of our Embarkation Day. In Florida, it is because we have lots of family/friends to see (they never come West!). In Europe, it is because we do not know if we will ever get back there so we want to see as much as we can. Especially after our "bird poop" scam in Barcelona in 2008 (see attached Word document).

I hate to fly (not afraid) because of the cramped space on planes, all the testing and scanning before and at airports. And luggage weight. And weather/traffic at departure and arrival cities. We are both around 80 with some minor mobility issues. Always order wheelchair service at airports (helps to eliminate some stress). Always arrive at airports no less than two hours before flights just in case.

We, too, check documents multiple times before leaving the safety of our home. Always have color copies of the important pages of our passports and now our vaccine documentation. I have not tried monitored home tests yet. My wife does one test a week, unmonitored, so she can visit her sister in a nearby senior residence.

We keep close contact with our travel agent for months before our cruise and after. The agency has been very good with that. Even through COVID.

We always bring a few hundred dollars/Euros/British Pounds when cruising for tips at airports, cruise terminals and on board.

There are probably more things that stress us but I will save them, if I can remember what they are, for another time.

Madie/Jim

2008 Bird Poop Scam.docx

On 4/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, flamingos said:

My paranoia isn't just related to the tests.  I do this every cruise, even in the Before Times.

Oh, I know! Pre cruise jitters...we all get them....the "what ifs" even before anything happens. One night before our cruise, we locked the car keys in the car right as we were unloading at the overnight hotel stay...thanks Nissan...those weren't smart keys....then again, neither were we!

On 4/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, flamingos said:

Same, it has nothing to do with testing. Yes that's more thing, but it's just a blip on the radar.

I'm much more worried about somehow missing the ship, or realizing that I don't have my passport even though I've checked my bag 100 times on the way to the port to make sure it hasn't escaped...

One time my husband decided that he needed a harcut on the way to Port Everglades. He stopped at a barber shop. It took way longer than expected. I was having a panic attack in the car. Even though it was at least 3 hours before we needed to be onboard and we were literally 2 miles from the port. 

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Thanks 1