Beware bermuda

sauna director

4 hours ago, jakebloke said:

I"m more concerned about a possible itinerary change, becoming a 3rd ship in Bermuda that needs to tender.  I have electric vehicle booked which I'll lose because I doubt it will be available on the changed dates should that happen.  I guess we'll have to make it work if that's the case.

If you are scheduled to dock in Bermuda you will dock, not tender. If there is an itinerary change of your ship it would be to skip Bermuda. I believe this season there are a couple of Carnival sailings that will tender. They are on the schedule as anchoring.

10 hours ago, sauna director said:

We just booked a10 night cruise to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit (which we love). After the purchase was done, we received an Email telling us that we needed

a "Bermuda visa" for another $40 each to go ashore. We asked Celebrity if we needed the visa if we did not go ashore and were told "yes, you must have it".

Before booking a cruise you should research all requirements and check out the Cruise Critic boards. There have been many threads about the Bermuda requirements. This is old news. This is particularly a must do post covid. Even then the requirements and protocols are subject to change. Doing any travel these days has uncertainty and stress.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s astonishing, isn’t it? And I say that as an American. Just wait until more folks learn about the new ETIAS.  😂

The ETIAS will be simpler. It is not like the Bermuda Travel Authorization. It will only cost $7. For some age groups no fee. 

We'll be on another cruise line next month spending three nights in Bermuda before heading to Canada.  IMO, $40 to enter Bermuda for three days amortizes out pretty well.  The cruise line is picking up the tab to test us before arriving.  The application paperwork is easy to fill out online and upload vaccine & test results.

After spending several thousands of $$$$ to cruise, I don't see what the big deal is for another $40pp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, sullyd said:

When did celebrity say they were picking up the tab for on board testing? 
I saw 99.00 on there site. I hope your correct!

Sullyd, If you're referring to my post about picking up the tab, I said on another cruise line next month which is Regent.

Azamara did that too on my December Caribbean cruise before arriving at Barbados and again for people who needed the test before disembarking then flying out that day or next.  There was no charge for either.  Guess Celebrity isn't the luxury line they claim to be?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

2 hours ago, sullyd said:

When did celebrity say they were picking up the tab for on board testing? 
I saw 99.00 on there site. I hope your correct!

Where did you see that they were going to charge?

Laura

32 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Where did you see that they were going to charge?

Laura

"All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99 per person.  Prices vary by port and test type."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

12 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

"All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99 per person.  Prices vary by port and test type."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

If we require an on board test prior to Bermuda disembarkation, I would not expect that we would be charged.

However, I think the statement from Celebrity quoted above is out of context and probably irrelevant to the Bermuda question. The above relates to the situation where, e.g., you are from the UK, you need a test to get on the plane to go home after your cruise, then Celebrity will arrange that test for you {at the port, NOT onboard} at no charge if you booked your cruise before such and such a date. Nothing there about mid-cruise testing on board to allow a given port call.

Stan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

If we require an on board test prior to Bermuda disembarkation, I would not expect that we would be charged.

However, I think the statement from Celebrity quoted above is out of context and probably irrelevant to the Bermuda question. The above relates to the situation where, e.g., you are from the UK, you need a test to get on the plane to go home after your cruise, then Celebrity will arrange that test for you {at the port, NOT onboard} at no charge if you booked your cruise before such and such a date. Nothing there about mid-cruise testing on board to allow a given port call.

Stan

The original post did not refer to testing on board. It related to the $40 Bermuda Travel Authorization.  The thread then morphed into testing fees where Laura inquired where someone saw the $99 test fee.  I was posting regarding the Celebrity $99 charge for a test which may have been conflated by someone to mean while on board.  I couldn't find where the fee is charged while on board. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

As a UK resident we now don’t need a negative test to return to the UK, just a negative test to fly into the US. 

8 hours ago, Whitechapelgirl62 said:

Just wondering if the Bermuda test requirements are to be proctored or not? 

Yes, they need to be proctored. You need to upload the results from the lab. I bought a self test at the pharmacy and then paid for video proctoring. The results were accepted. If you have the government tests (sealed) then you can get a video proctor for them. Unfortunately, in my wife's eyes its a crime that anything that comes in a sealed box stay in a sealed box until needed so I needed to go buy a fresh test that I had a pile of so it was still sealed in the box....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are scheduled to visit Bermuda in May. This will be my 24th cruise and my 16th visit to Bermuda. My vacations to Bermuda began in the late seventies; half by air and half by sea. It was my favorite place to visit until recently. I never needed a travel authorization until Covid. We, me and DH are fully vaxxed and boosted, but the requirements for Bermuda this time are stressing me out. DH of course says I’m overreacting. I read the local BDA newspaper, and it appears that Bermuda cases are rising, so much for the travel authorisation....Hope this “tax” goes away sooner, rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

We are scheduled to visit Bermuda in May. This will be my 24th cruise and my 16th visit to Bermuda. My vacations to Bermuda began in the late seventies; half by air and half by sea. It was my favorite place to visit until recently. I never needed a travel authorization until Covid. We, me and DH are fully vaxxed and boosted, but the requirements for Bermuda this time are stressing me out. DH of course says I’m overreacting. I read the local BDA newspaper, and it appears that Bermuda cases are rising, so much for the travel authorisation....Hope this “tax” goes away sooner, rather than later.

I have been over 15 times and stopped counting. I am vaxxed and boosted but I don't need the extra stress of the travel authorization. The required cruise lines tests are stress enough. The TA is redundent. Since I know what has been going on with the  Bermuda requirements from reading the Bermuda local press and Bermuda social media  I decided to pass on going to Bermuda this year. 

I think they are making a short sided mistake with the application and creating a lot of bad will. And the process won't make them ony safer. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt a few months ago that it was about safety but from reading their press I believe the application is about the $22 million revenue not safety. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MrCruzdoggie said:

Instead of having a Dark and Stormy, maybe you should order a "Cry me a River." Bermuda is great place , pay the fee.

Cheers...

😂

bon voyage

• Like 2