Is there an etiquette regarding walking through QM2 Britannia Dining Room to reach Britannia Club?

D&N

Is walking through the main Britannia Lower to reach Britannia Club frowned on?

I know Stairway D is the best access for Britannia Club but not necessarily very handy when coming from other venues on the ship. I’m aware of the routes via Deck 3L either side as well.

I’ve noted other comments about using those routes to access Queens Room and G32 and wondered if that applied to Britannia Club as well.

We wouldn’t think twice about walking through different sections of a large land based restaurant to reach our table so I’m not sure what (if any) the problem would be.

22 minutes ago, D&N said:

Is walking through the main Britannia Lower to reach Britannia Club frowned on?

I know Stairway D is the best access for Britannia Club but not necessarily very handy when coming from other venues on the ship. I’m aware of the routes via Deck 3L either side as well.

I’ve noted other comments about using those routes to access Queens Room and G32 and wondered if that applied to Britannia Club as well.

We wouldn’t think twice about walking through different sections of a large land based restaurant to reach our table so I’m not sure what (if any) the problem would be.

Feel free to enter Club via any route you wish.  One’s direction of travel is of no import.
A personal “tradition” thing.  Out of courtesy, one does pay respects every evening to the MDs (mostly long term friends) on level three then two en route from pre dinner drinks to Club.

Also, en route, it gives the opportunity to give a nod/smile, or exchange a few words with previous HW, Sommeliers and Waitstaff.  It’s proven good to recognise and acknowledge them.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Tradition & Also

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Feel free to enter Club via any route you wish.  One’s direction of travel is of no import.
A personal “tradition” thing.  Out of courtesy, one does pay respects every evening to the MDs (mostly long term friends) on level three then two en route from pre dinner drinks to Club.

Also, en route, it gives the opportunity to give a nod/smile, or exchange a few words with previous HW, Sommeliers and Waitstaff.  It’s proven good to recognise and acknowledge them.

Thanks for all those quick replies.

Yes we're in the habit of bidding other diners that make eye contact in restaurants here 'Bon Soir' as we head to a table.  We'd be careful as well not to nudge the back of anyone's seat when about to take a sip of red wine!

Edited by D&N
  • Haha 1

Good Morning D&N,

We are avid fans of the Club Britannia Dining Room. Have tried the CB Dining Rooms on each side of the ship on different sailings. 

We have and will traditionally walk thru the Main Dining Room to still get the flavor of that room's elegant atmosphere heading to the CB room. We head looking forward to our meal and really don't look at others diners unless we make eye contact for a greeting. 

Cabins being located  Deck 12, if the weather is nice we look forward to an evening stroll along the open deck to the aft Stairway/Elevator D near the Broadwalk Cafe. And take the elevator to Deck 2 - Restaurant Entrance. 

Either route doesn't make a difference. And transiting thru the MDR is part of the excitement of the sailing.  

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I would not even think of walking through the restaurant once people have settled down to eat their meals if I was not dining there . It is a restaurant not a thorough fare. Please be courteous and let people have their meals in peace. 

Just go around, it might be slightly more inconvenient, but think of others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tonopah said:

Walk on through! We wouldn’t even notice. Go and enjoy your dinner.

tonopah,

We do understand others thoughts but other passengers have to understand that the Club Britannia is part of the original structure of the Main Dining Room no matter where it is located in that large room.

If they wanted to make it a separate Dining Room it would have been screened off with a separate entrance. Remember, Britannia and Club Britannia are under the Generic name of the Dining Room.

We too would not notice too with all that good cuisine in front of us.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I would not even think of walking through the restaurant once people have settled down to eat their meals if I was not dining there . It is a restaurant not a thorough fare. Please be courteous and let people have their meals in peace. 

How would you know if someone was walking through to get (back) to their table or to get to another restaurant? Most diners would have no idea.

Edited by exlondoner
Omission
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

From the foot of the stairs on floor two there us an actual wide main thoroughfare through the restaurant which leads to Club.  No diners are asked to move or inconvenienced.

As a second sitting is now freestyle, how does one’s arrival for Club during this period be considered not showing courtesy to diners, when many guests (including yourself) could also be arriving to dine in Britannia and are being seated?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

From the foot of the stairs on floor two there us an actual wide main thoroughfare through the restaurant which leads to Club.  No diners are asked to move or inconvenienced.

As a second sitting is now freestyle, how does one’s arrival for Club during this period be considered not showing courtesy to diners, when many guests (including yourself) could also be arriving to dine in Britannia and are being seated?

PR,

Thank you for reminding others of that walkway which is quite narrow. That's the one we use when assigned the Dining Room.

To add, there is also another one on the the other side of the DR entrance to the other part of Club Britannia on the Port Side.

• Like 2

Hello!  Please, anyone who believes walking through the main dining room to get to a club table is bad form or inappropriate is ridiculous.  No one cares or will notice.  Walk to your table as you please.

Deck Chair.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My comments clearly applied to fixed timing dining, when everyone had settled down to eat

Each to their own.

But to me , given fuss over lowering of Cunard standards when jackets were made optional. This is another more important standard. A willingness to slightly inconvenience oneself to benefit others

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

My comments clearly applied to fixed timing dining, when everyone had settled down to eat

Each to their own.

But to me , given fuss over lowering of Cunard standards when jackets were made optional. This is another more important standard. A willingness to slightly inconvenience oneself to benefit others

Thank you for your comments and your points are understandable. But with passengers arriving at 6PM for First Sitting have those arriving at 615 when last orders are taken, those passengers are just also settling in with their movements.

Granted it is Majestic Room but one that is hard to control with many different staff also moving around ex. Waiters, Asst Waiters, Wine Stewards etc.. 

Restaurants like Princess and Queens are also having passengers coming in and out from 630 to 9PM and a great deal of activity.

But your concern is noted and appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Tonopah said:

I want them to sashay through the dining room like the Beauxbatons girls!

3AF656D9-641F-4F9C-9248-2C4ED00F560F.webp

Probably a bit risky, but we could perhaps consider foxtrotting, quickstepping or waltzing through. 🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, D&N said:

Probably a bit risky, but we could perhaps consider foxtrotting, quickstepping or waltzing through. 🤣

Or even the bent arm PanAm Stewardesses strut, which my Wife and her Sister can do impeccably in tandem.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Thank you for your comments and your points are understandable. But with passengers arriving at 6PM for First Sitting have those arriving at 615 when last orders are taken, those passengers are just also settling in with their movements.

Granted it is Majestic Room but one that is hard to control with many different staff also moving around ex. Waiters, Asst Waiters, Wine Stewards etc.. 

Restaurants like Princess and Queens are also having passengers coming in and out from 630 to 9PM and a great deal of activity.

But your concern is noted and appreciated. 

But this does not mean that, once having finished "...settling in..." those seated passengers are not worthy of consideration.  Walking through a filled dining room, when there are other options, does reflect a greater attention to one's own convenience than to the experience of others. Sure, there are "...waiters, Asst. Waiters, Wine Stewards etc...." -- but they belong there.   I have experienced the

annoyance of people unnecessarily passing through steadying themselves on the back of my chair.

• Like 2

Speaking of walking through Britannia, is QM2 still doing the "Parade of Chefs" near the end of a crossing to introduce and applaud the culinary staff?  And does the parade extend into Club, or is it only in the MDR? 

No doubt most diners are not bothered by the Club Class patrons coming in through the Britannia main entrance.  No doubt most patrons are seated either away from the main aisles or on one of the upper levels.  As someone who is always seated on a main aisle, for reasons too tedious to explain, I appreciate everyone who uses the D stairs or lifts.

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

But this does not mean that, once having finished "...settling in..." those seated passengers are not worthy of consideration.  Walking through a filled dining room, when there are other options, does reflect a greater attention to one's own convenience than to the experience of others. Sure, there are "...waiters, Asst. Waiters, Wine Stewards etc...." -- but they belong there.   I have experienced the

annoyance of people unnecessarily passing through steadying themselves on the back of my chair.

I wonder if those who are offended by people walking past to get to their part of the restaurant are more or fewer than those who enjoy watching their fellow diners walking through in their finery on formal nights.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sfred said:

Speaking of walking through Britannia, is QM2 still doing the "Parade of Chefs" near the end of a crossing to introduce and applaud the culinary staff?  And does the parade extend into Club, or is it only in the MDR? 

Mostly MDR, but noted only two have taken a detour.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have experienced the annoyance of people unnecessarily passing through steadying themselves on the back of my chair.

I would hope that neither of us would allow ourselves to be in such a condition that we had to do that! 🍷🥂