Is there an etiquette regarding walking through QM2 Britannia Dining Room to reach Britannia Club?

D&N

10 minutes ago, D&N said:

I would hope that neither of us would allow ourselves to be in such a condition that we had to do that! 🍷🥂

But sometimes it does depend on the condition of the sea. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

But sometimes it does depend on the condition of the sea. 😀

Although we don't cruise often, we've crossed the North Sea many times, including in force 9 gales on a relatively small freight ferry (MS Baltic Ferry) with a pod of tiny cabins welded to the front of the superstructure.  I also vividly recall taking coffee and scones on MV Clansman as it diverted from Ardrossan to Gourock in a Firth of Clyde Storm. In between sips I would have a direct view of nothing but waves out of the windows each side as it rolled around. Just had to make sure the coffee cup stayed upright.

We've cruised in The Gulf of Alaska, The Pacific between Acapulco and Panama and The Caribbean and overheard fellow passengers commenting on rough seas and wondered what on earth they were talking about. We only knew the ships were moving by looking out the windows.

I was possibly conditioned by my first ever voyage, of which I have no recollection; A January sailing from Lerwick to Aberdeen in the late 50s on the SS St Clair of 1937 as our family moved from Shetland to Glasgow. My mother claimed it was the worst sailing on the route that she experienced in their 12 years of living there.

Hopefully the most stable liner in the world copes with early June in The North Atlantic well enough that we can just roll along the passageways!

SS St Clair 1937.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Erm, nope that's not what your comment said!

On 5/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, Windsurfboy said:

I would not even think of walking through the restaurant once people have settled down to eat their meals .

Once people have settled down can only apply to fixed time dining.

There are stairs and lifts that go directly to club dining. I still think it's just more considerate to use these rather than walk though the Brittania dining .

8 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Once people have settled down can only apply to fixed time dining.

You may need to just accept that what you thought in your mind isn't what you typed:-) 'once people have settled down' could be any occassion where more than one person has sat down or stopped faffing. It does not mean 'once a whole dining room has sat down and prepared to eat dinner at a fixed meal time'.

Edited by jimbo1683
  • Like 1

The very odd location of the Club dining room makes it inevitable that one would have to pass through Britannia sooner or later.  And we have passed through Britannia simply because we got lost, which is easy to do.  No one gave us dirty looks or asked us for a hall pass.  But we were careful to not make any disparaging remarks about the low class of the diners we saw.  Their lack of status was obvious and we did not have to comment.  Hyacinth Bucket would not approve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It looks like just under a quarter of our small sample here have indicated some sort of objection.

I may have mistakenly given the impression that I was asking from the point of view of our convenience, and that could of course be a practical reason. We would have no problem in taking a diversion.

As some respondents have mentioned, we recognise that coming from pre diner drinks descending the sweeping staircase from level 3 to 2 and passing through some of the grander sections of the restaurant most evenings is likely to make some of our most outstanding memories.

We are reassured that most folk will not object and of course we will be very careful not to disturb anyone.

Thanks for all the input.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, D&N said:

It looks like just under a quarter of our small sample here have indicated some sort of objection.

I may have mistakenly given the impression that I was asking from the point of view of our convenience, and that could of course be a practical reason. We would have no problem in taking a diversion.

As some respondents have mentioned, we recognise that coming from pre diner drinks descending the sweeping staircase from level 3 to 2 and passing through some of the grander sections of the restaurant most evenings is likely to make some of our most outstanding memories.

We are reassured that most folk will not object and of course we will be very careful not to disturb anyone.

Thanks for all the input.

We shall continue to pay our respects every evening, should this cause offence, then it’s a cross one will have to bear for the sake of courtesy and showing respect.

I too appreciate everyone's opinion with the matter but I believe it is up to the individual's decision with the route they believe is right.

We will continue to use the method we believe is right to approach the restaurant on the coming sailing in the Fall. Our past movements during the last 5 sailings were fine and did not experience any negativity.  

• Like 1

A couple of points on this subject of walking through rooms/locations ( caused by Cunard's construction and planning of the QM2 deck layouts) and offending people:

1) Once on the QM2 my friend and I began a walk up the staircase from Deck 8, Pool Terrance. We were headed to the kennels, and were informed by staff that the staircase would get us there. Well, we did not realize that the STEEP outside stairs would not stop on Deck 9, nor on Deck 10. Only until Deck 11 was there a chance of respite and catching ones breath. Even though I was younger then, I needed to stop for a minute or two -- on the stairwell landing -- to catch my breath. Unknown to us, we were now on Deck 11, the Queen's Grill Terrace. While panting to regain our ability to walk up the next steep staircase to Deck 12 (and the kennels), we were approached by a passenger (male) dressed to the teeth at 2 in the afternoon who rerated us, saying "How dare you stop. This is for Grill passengers only. If you don't move off, I will have you removed!"  Really?  As we stood panting (and only for a couple of minute) I noticed it was sprinkling rain, or so I thought. We rushed off the forbidden deck and arrived on Deck 12, to see the kennel staff spraying down the deck just outside the kennels; apparently a dog had done its business and they were washing it down -- causing the "light rain" on the head of the gentleman who clearly protected his territory and expected class separation.

2) In order for someone with a disability to access the Pool Terrance, they must pass through the Veranda Restaurant. This we had to do many times when my mother (who used a wheel chair all the time) want to attend a sail away party or to sit in the sun by the pool. The only other access would have been up the long indoor staircase from the deck below or to miraculously pass through walls without entering the restaurant. 

3) Another difficult walkthrough is on formal nights through the Queen's Room (passengers dressed to the hilt) to G32 in relaxed clothes. Make an awkward meeting of the eyes in the Queen's Room.

Another point that was made by a fellow passenger we keep in touch made which is another point of locations and traffic that may interfere with diners.

Let's address the diners tables located by the windows in the elegant  Princess & Queens Grills.

They are located alongside the Promenade Deck (Deck 7) Aft outside walkway with passengers strolling all times of the day and night including Grill Meal times.

How many times  have I seen passengers strolling and even Jogging and looking at the tables thru the windows. Those passengers dining are looking for a nice meal also and even views outside of the windows to enjoy. Some even lower their shades unfortunately.

So the ship has many pathways to deal with transiting and we just have to be consider to each other.

8 hours ago, njguy_south said:

A couple of points on this subject of walking through rooms/locations ( caused by Cunard's construction and planning of the QM2 deck layouts) and offending people:

1) Once on the QM2 my friend and I began a walk up the staircase from Deck 8, Pool Terrance. We were headed to the kennels, and were informed by staff that the staircase would get us there. Well, we did not realize that the STEEP outside stairs would not stop on Deck 9, nor on Deck 10. Only until Deck 11 was there a chance of respite and catching ones breath. Even though I was younger then, I needed to stop for a minute or two -- on the stairwell landing -- to catch my breath. Unknown to us, we were now on Deck 11, the Queen's Grill Terrace. While panting to regain our ability to walk up the next steep staircase to Deck 12 (and the kennels), we were approached by a passenger (male) dressed to the teeth at 2 in the afternoon who rerated us, saying "How dare you stop. This is for Grill passengers only. If you don't move off, I will have you removed!"  Really?  As we stood panting (and only for a couple of minute) I noticed it was sprinkling rain, or so I thought. We rushed off the forbidden deck and arrived on Deck 12, to see the kennel staff spraying down the deck just outside the kennels; apparently a dog had done its business and they were washing it down -- causing the "light rain" on the head of the gentleman who clearly protected his territory and expected class separation.

2) In order for someone with a disability to access the Pool Terrance, they must pass through the Veranda Restaurant. This we had to do many times when my mother (who used a wheel chair all the time) want to attend a sail away party or to sit in the sun by the pool. The only other access would have been up the long indoor staircase from the deck below or to miraculously pass through walls without entering the restaurant. 

3) Another difficult walkthrough is on formal nights through the Queen's Room (passengers dressed to the hilt) to G32 in relaxed clothes. Make an awkward meeting of the eyes in the Queen's Room.

Hello!  How exactly did this offended passenger KNOW you didn't belong there?  I have been up there millions of times over my 40 voyages on QM2 since 2006   (Just passing through or to watch the view of the wake) and no one has ever said a word.  Not even the crew that  occasionally serve that area.   No one cares!  No one notices.  I have to assume this passenger is mentally ill or demented.  If a some passenger DID care it would be foolish of that person to confront a fellow passenger.  Best to leave it up to the crew.  Trust me, the crew would be extremely reluctant to say anything to a passenger who aroused the suspicion of a grills passenger.  What if the passenger was a grills? That will go well!  

Deck Chair

• Like 1

Whether other people notice or not. I  would know that I wasn't dining there.  So even if i felt it was creating only the very very slightest disturbance to others, I would take the long way round.

As to paying respects, ie saying hello , to staff you know in a room you are not dining in .The question I ask is , if what would be the response of the QG , MD if people kept wandering in to say hello, I'm sure he would politely discourage them.  Just because Brittania is more open , it should be treated with the same respect.

But on the other hand , I'm  far more relaxed about what others wear. Respect is what you do not what you wear.

Clearly of course if like the pool terrace the only disabled access is through the Verandah this doesn't  apply. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

52 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Whether other people notice or not. I  would know that I wasn't dining there.  So even if i felt it was creating only the very very slightest disturbance to others, I would take the long way round.

As to paying respects, ie saying hello , to staff you know in a room you are not dining in .The question I ask is , if what would be the response of the QG , MD if people kept wandering in to say hello, I'm sure he would politely discourage them.  Just because Brittania is more open , it should be treated with the same respect.

But on the other hand , I'm  far more relaxed about what others wear. Respect is what you do not what you wear.

Clearly of course if like the pool terrace the only disabled access is through the Verandah this doesn't  apply. 

With regard to “Grills MD”, they do rotate.  There are no intrusion worries as they appear at our table to pay respects to ensure all is well and if they can assist with anything.  Then there is always the morning coffee get togethers.

One thought….. Would a Grills MD, walking through the Britannia after first addressing the Britannia MD, be considered a bad form intruder?

Edited by PORT ROYAL
One thought

49 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

With regard to “Grills MD”, they do rotate.  There are no intrusion worries as they appear at our table to pay respects to ensure all is well and if they can assist with anything.  Then there is always the morning coffee get togethers.

One thought….. Would a Grills MD, walking through the Britannia after first addressing the Britannia MD, be considered a bad form intruder?

A bit perplexed at whats this got to do with what i said.

I was disagreeing with passengers who were not dining in Brittania,  walking through Brittania and potentially distrurbing others to say hello. A practice you endorsed wholeheartedly, but now say it's only ok for another M.D and even they should ask first.

I  still think it's more considerate not walk though a dining room you are not dining in , but go around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

"Whether other people notice or not. I  would know that I wasn't dining there."

I've never travelled on QM2 before and don't actually know for sure that I'm not "dining there". Going by the floor plans and the many photos that are posted online it looks as if the 2 sections of Britannia are separated by a thin partition wall with a completely open double doorway. We could be making our way to a table in one of the aft corners of the MD or through that opening to a table 2 or 3 metres farther away. From what I've read, at one time both sections were the same restaurant. The menus seem to be the same other than the extra A La Carte section and come from the same kitchen.

I think I would actually feel less comfortable about walking along corridors outside other folks cabins on decks I wasn't a resident of than walking through the restaurant.

You and many others have had the experience of sailing on QM2, which is why I asked the question. Of course you are more than entitled to your opinion and I'm happy that you expressed it. But it does seem that you are in the minority. Thank you anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, D&N said:

I've never travelled on QM2 before and don't actually know for sure that I'm not "dining there". Going by the floor plans and the many photos that are posted online it looks as if the 2 sections of Britannia are separated by a thin partition wall with a completely open double doorway. We could be making our way to a table in one of the aft corners of the MD or through that opening to a table 2 or 3 metres farther away. From what I've read, at one time both sections were the same restaurant. The menus seem to be the same other than the extra A La Carte section and come from the same kitchen.

I think I would actually feel less comfortable about walking along corridors outside other folks cabins on decks I wasn't a resident of than walking through the restaurant.

You and many others have had the experience of sailing on QM2, which is why I asked the question. Of course you are more than entitled to your opinion and I'm happy that you expressed it. But it does seem that you are in the minority. Thank you anyway.

Windsurfboy has traveled with cunard ,his advice is well respected here .I have a dozen cruises with cunard........if you are under-dressed go around an active MDR 

2 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

Windsurfboy has travelled with Cunard, his advice is well respected here. I have a dozen cruises with Cunard. If you are under-dressed go around an active MDR 

I'm aware of many of his posts in the last few years, and I'm glad that you have sailed many times with Cunard. I enjoy cruising but enjoy living and remaining a few hundred metres from the Mediterranean much much more. We're doing a double crossing on QM2 as it's a substitute for the QE2 crossing we'd have liked to do when we were young but didn't have the money, then didn't have the time to take.

But what exactly are you getting at with the "under-dressed" comment?

I might consider going for breakfast or lunch in a short sleeved shirt without a tie and top button undone, but that's about it.  I've not seen any photos or videos of folk attired on QM2 that would make either of us feel under-dressed.

• Haha 1

YIKES! Here we go. The OP never said they were underdressed. They said they were going to the Club Dining Room. And a majority of those of use who eat in the Britannia Dining Room acknowledged that it is acceptable, common, and they would be fine. Dear OP,  just go to your lovely dining area in any way you see fit. I’ll just go back to my lovely cream of mushroom soup and perfectly done scallops. 

I think the question has been asked and answered. (I still want to see the sashaying, though!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

YIKES! Here we go. The OP never said they were underdressed. They said they were going to the Club Dining Room. And a majority of those of use who eat in the Britannia Dining Room acknowledged that it is acceptable, common, and they would be fine. Dear OP,  just go to your lovely dining area in any way you see fit. I’ll just go back to my lovely cream of mushroom soup and perfectly done scallops. 

I think the question has been asked and answered. (I still want to see the sashaying, though!)

As there are stairs available, how about an entrance with the famous dance routine from Gold Diggers 1935?    1, 2, 3, 4…. Come along and listen to…..

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As there are stairs available, how about an entrance with the famous dance routine from Gold Diggers 1935?    1, 2, 3, 4…. Come along and listen to…..

Would the 1982 West End 42nd Street version do? I know someone who must have performed it at least 500 times. They could be our choreographer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tonopah said:

They said they were going to the Club Dining Room. And a majority of those of u who eat in the Britannia Dining Room acknowledged that it is acceptable, common, and they would be fine.

Dear OP,  go to your lovely dining area in any way you see fit. I’ll just go back to my lovely cream of mushroom soup and perfectly done scallops. 

Dear Toopah,

I agree with you exactly. Don't know why this subject has not been closed as of yet.

Dozens of sailings on the Queens and never had issues ever coming up with us proceeding to a Dining Room including CB.

BTW.....Don't get me hungry around Lunch Time now with my favorite - Cream of Wild Mushroom and Day Boat Scallops perfect fully prepared! lol.........

Cunard are missing a trick here.

The new ship should include a viewing gallery over the steerage restaurant, where for a small fee we could watch those in steerage attempt to eat, without being properly dressed, and wearing flat caps (that's just the women).

Highlights could include:

Watching the jigs and wild dancing

Listening to the penny whistles and accordians

Watching the lower classes trying to work out what cutlery to use

Laugh at them eating off their knives

Hear them swilling their beer and burping (and making other bodily noises)

Giggle when they spill their tea out of their saucers

Or maybe nobody should be looking down on anybody.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4