daughters cruise in 3 weeks and surprise ! they recently were placed on adoption list- they were chosen may 1 to be parents

Our question is,   if they dont have travel insurance and cant go on the cruise because of the new baby ( they knew nothing about this as it all just happened may 1) - will they be out of luck getting money back or a cruise credit ?  i am not sure if the cruise was booked off of a future cruise credit or not ,  in case that makes any difference.....

any input or advice welcomed!   

Standard insurance does not reimburse penalties for adoptions, the only thing that would have covered them was if the insurance plan has a "cancel for any reason" benefit .  If they do not have cancel for any reason insurance the latest they can request to cancel under the Cruise With Confidence policy and get FCC would be 3 days from sailing departure date.  Otherwise any and all cancels are subject to the penalty in place at time of cancel.  Any monies not witheld as penalty are refunded to their original for of payment (be that a credit card or an FCC).  Whether Guest Relations would make an exception and issue FCC for the amount held in penalty would have to be discussed with them after cancelling.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

First off, congratulations!  We are grandparents of 3 adopted children, with the latest joining the family just a few weeks ago.  I completing understand the uncertainty that comes with getting that phone call.

If you have a travel agent, go through them first.  If not, call and speak to a representative at Royal and see what they say. Go from there.  

• Like 3

Congratulations to your Family and the new Baby!      

They most likely will receive a FCC (future cruise credit) for the fare and for any items in cruise planner and the port/taxes would be refunded to the credit card that was used at the time.  

14 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

Congratulations, and good luck, I hope Royal will be compassionate and it will all work out.

While that is a nice thought, then why should anyone purchase insurance.  Most who need to cancel have some sad or life threatening issue, or would be on a ship.   Of course in this case, the reason is a happy one. 

The original post is  a fantastic reason to cancel and I wish the family much happiness. 

Edited by cruisegirl1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Congratulations to your Family and the new Baby!      

They most likely will receive a FCC (future cruise credit) for the fare and for any items in cruise planner and the port/taxes would be refunded to the credit card that was used at the time.  

They will receive full refund for cruise planner items  as well as for taxes and fees paid.

M

42 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

While that is a nice, thought, then why should anyone purchase insurance.  Most who need to cancel have some sad or life threatening issue, or would be on a ship.   Of course in this case, the reason is a happy one. 

The original post is  a fantastic reason to cancel and I wish the family much happiness. 

It is my happy thought for this couple. As far as Royal goes, how often would this situation come up, I would hope as a corporate decision they would refund everything and as a great PR move send the happy couple a shipment of diapers or something else they may need, just think of the customer loyalty they would get. One of those feel good happy stories they do on the news!

• Like 1

They’re really luckily that this occurred now while the cruise lines are being flexible as long as they booked the cruise before March 31, 2022647D076B-DCE6-46A2-93E5-4DEA4BD4B0C7.thumb.jpeg.2fb0f4f517813c5b55b67f3ef707ecaa.jpeg

HUGE thank you to all who responded!!!! Great advice! I will let you all know how it works out.

The new baby is a wonderful blessing to our daughter and her husband who have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years.  They were just recently placed on the adoption list so it was a big surprise to get the call sunday that their baby was on its way !  and would be born locally so they could be there!  We are all thankful and blessed to say the least!

Thanks again for all of the great advice!!!!! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, piercetc4 said:

They were just recently placed on the adoption list so it was a big surprise to get the call sunday that their baby was on its way !  and would be born locally so they could be there! 

Being adoptive parents in the state that the child is born in in a HUGE break for them. So much paperwork to do otherwise

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

It is my happy thought for this couple. As far as Royal goes, how often would this situation come up, I would hope as a corporate decision they would refund everything and as a great PR move send the happy couple a shipment of diapers or something else they may need, just think of the customer loyalty they would get. One of those feel good happy stories they do on the news!

I’ve read stories of folks needing to cancel last minute due to the death of a passenger, a home being destroyed in a hurricane, a child needing to start cancer treatment, they got nothing. At least this is a happy reason to cancel a cruise.

• Like 1