Odyssey to the Greek Isles - 7 to 16 May 2022

Tonight we were supposed to have the Effectors but because of a last minute technical hitch it had to be postponed till tomorrow.

Instead, and so as not to leave guests at a loose end, they put on an improvised concert featuring the four vocalists from the Effectors. It was nicely done considering they would have had very little time to put it together. They are great singers. They each did two numbers and then a final one with all four.

PXL_20220509_201213462.thumb.jpg.75d043f07831440fa5ea09fdbc05713c.jpg

Off to bed now as we have a very early start tomorrow, with Santorini being a tender port. We have an excursion booked through the ship so hopefully it won't be too much hassle but we still have to be at theatre at 7 am! 😬

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Tonight we were supposed to have the Effectors but because of a last minute technical hitch it had to be postponed till tomorrow.

Instead, and so as not to leave guests at a loose end, they put on an improvised concert featuring the four vocalists from the Effectors. It was nicely done considering they would have had very little time to put it together. They are great singers. They each did two numbers and then a final one with all four.

PXL_20220509_201213462.thumb.jpg.75d043f07831440fa5ea09fdbc05713c.jpg

Off to bed now as we have a very early start tomorrow, with Santorini being a tender port. We have an excursion booked through the ship so hopefully it won't be too much hassle but we still have to be at theatre at 7 am! 😬

Could it be other performers came down with Covid?

We are sailing at the end of September and fly into Rome on the day of the cruise (booked through RC) how did any Brits reading this test to get into Italy? did RC support or where you on your own getting tested the day before? Sorry to jump in.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

That would be great. ☺️

Am I right in thinking you came over on the transatlantic?

If you want to chip in with any information on the thread, you're more than welcome. Additional perspectives are always valuable.

Yes, we were on the TA...we were told there were approximately 500 consecutive cruisers.

Thanks...I'll chip in when possible :classic_smile:.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FionaMG said:

For the certificate of recovery in lieu of the test, I believe it has to be dated no more than 90 days before the cruise, not the usual 180 days validity period that most European countries are currently practising, so you need to be mindful of that. But if you're within that period then you don't need a test.

YEs we are within the 90 days, just wondered if you had over heard anyone talking about it, or any issues with it etc? but thanks for the feedback! 

• Like 1

Santorini...beautiful day...around 70, sunny with a cool breeze.

* 7:15 am down to the No.1  tender. I heard 75 onboard...took about 10 minutes to reach the Old Port.

* Took 8 minutes up the cable car to Fira. 6Euros/person one-way. You'll have to buy tickets again going down.

* Option to walk up or ride the donkey (sorry, I didn't get the price for the donkey ride.) Walkers will go up approximately 500 big steps, winding up the hill and navigate around donkey dung.

* We walked straight to the bus station. A leisurely10 minute walk; follow the yellow line on the sidewalk...or ask.

* We took the 8:30 am bus to Oia (eeh-yah)...sight of the world famous and highly photographed "Blue Dones". 1.60Euros/person one-way. People huddled around waiting...then a very courteous gentleman started announcing "bus to Oia!"...a line formed and the bus soon arrived.  Note: The man turned out to be the conductor. He firmly stopped those trying to cut the line. The bus was full with a few allowed to stand.  The conductor collected the money and loudly announced each stop. (Best to have small bills or the exact change)

* I believe there were 5 stops, but the bus driver only stopped twice...most of the passengers werr going to Oia.

* Fira to Oia was less than 30 minutes...but the spectacular scenery along the way will want you wishing the ride was longer.

* Oia...simply breathtaking. A short 5 minute walk will take you the Blue Domes...(yup, I took the time and kissed my beautiful wife.)

* We shared that iconic spot with a few others...all of us mesmerized...then the crowds came.

* We took the 10am bus (left at 10:15) back to Fira. This time the bus had plenty of seats...and no stops. Took only about 20 minutes to get back to Fira.

* Walked around Fira and took in more wonderful views:classic_smile:...be careful, lots of steps. Personally, the views were magnified and enhanced by the incredible aroma coming from all the restaurants.

* Back down the cable car...on to the tender...and back on the Odyssey...1pm.

What a beautiful day. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Thanks for this, love the live updates as we are sailing on 28th Sept and cannot wait. How does the ship feel being full capacity? Keep up the good work.

I don't notice it as being crowded except in the MDR, but we came back on the tender with some folks who did the transatlantic and they see a huge difference. I expect @bonsai3s can confirm.

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Could it be other performers came down with Covid?

I don't think so as the CD told us there was a technical issue that they were expecting to resolve today. Of course, she could just have been pulling the wool over my eyes. I guess we'll see if it goes ahead tonight.

With a view like this from the gym, who wouldn't want to go and work out? 

PXL_20220510_151641300.thumb.jpg.22b66bace32f91ee680ab1d5f65d4f32.jpg

A couple of random pieces of art that caught my eye on the forward staircase on my way to the gym.

PXL_20220510_135806875.thumb.jpg.7a83d2aea05374bf87bc1313f8fb06cc.jpg

PXL_20220510_135836383.thumb.jpg.6f9f91682e73f1bf39b9042ac124d45f.jpg

PXL_20220510_140037013.thumb.jpg.12c13673bdf6ffccde7a435cdeb91d6b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

MDR menu 

PXL_20220510_163533208.thumb.jpg.b193fcd62428a670fb8109533eceb294.jpg

Artisan cheese plate 

PXL_20220510_164515742.thumb.jpg.ae49130c7684ce1985ead618d9cabd31.jpg

Garlic shrimp 

PXL_20220510_170017513.thumb.jpg.1cfdd04ab7127f180ab6d009fc5e6126.jpg

Royal cheesecake

PXL_20220510_171708465.thumb.jpg.1b6a8fef6fa55a13b9bd6844a765850e.jpg

We had our regular booking for 8 pm but we went half an hour earlier to make sure we would be done in time for Effectors, which was changed from 10.30 pm yesterday to 9.30 pm today.

They were able to seat us right away and our server got the food out to us quickly so we were in and out in an hour. 

The MDR seemed a bit less chaotic today. Maybe a lot of people were tired after the day on the island and just didn't go.

We got chatting to the American couple next to us and I asked if they'd come over on the transatlantic. Of course they did. It seems that everyone we speak to with a north American accent came across the pond on board! 😂

• Like 2

A couple more pics from my obstructed balcony.

Regent Seven Seas Explorer arriving into Santorini early this morning. This pic was taken standing at the rail.

PXL_20220510_040005461.thumb.jpg.51b01c7ccebe2a611edbdd73e7101b6b.jpg

And this one seated.

PXL_20220510_115926237.thumb.jpg.cb0f45ae9a95da03e9fe9875adb8dd40.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For our day in Santorini, we were not as adventurous as @bonsai3s (what a great DIY trip!). 

We did a ship sponsored tour called Santorini and Village Oia but in Spanish as that happened to be the one showing in the cruise planner at the time. The same tour in English did not show up until several months later and at almost twice the price, so if you have sufficient Spanish to do a tour in that language, it might be worth while checking prices.

It was a really early start as we were on the first excursion tender but things ran smoothly to begin with. Then the hiccups began.

First we had to wait for half a dozen people who somehow didn't make it on to the tender. Then we're two ladies who had tickets for the excursion in English but wanted it in Spanish because they didn't speak any English. And then we were very very late leaving Oia because a man couldn't find his wife, who somehow mixed up the car parks and was in completely the wrong place!

Anyway, apart from that it was actually a very nice little excursion that included an hour of free time in Oia:

PXL_20220510_060239483.thumb.jpg.c40cb91b71f069b6823fc749acad684f.jpg

PXL_20220510_060817576.thumb.jpg.405d118feed1a0e3ec96971e035b7790.jpg

PXL_20220510_060349051.thumb.jpg.1200f0896c8f3441deb78e39e17b33c2.jpg

Followed by a stop at a winery for Greek nibbles (cheese, olives, tomatoes and bread sticks) with wine (we had orange juice!)

PXL_20220510_084048898.thumb.jpg.317c5de759dc49f2ab4e7b4346f9c9ec.jpg

and an absolutely magnificent panoramic view from the terrace.

PXL_20220510_084102737.thumb.jpg.336d0be2d590af4ad35884a7abb8cfba.jpg

We were about an hour late getting back to the ship because of the delays but still in plenty of time for lunch and a snooze in the sun to recover from the early start.

• Like 8

Hi,

My family of 5 adults will be sailing in August. And I was just reading up on THE KEY. 

We are all Diamond, and will be getting Wifi package.  

Was wondering if anyone currently onboard has THE KEY and can fill me in on its worth.

I know it will give you priority in tendering for shore excursions and shows and things.  Just trying to figure out our options and making the best use of time/money vs, what we already get for being Diamond.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

How did you get from the tender port to Oia? With a "speed boat" to Oia and then a bus up to Oia?

The excursion buses were all waiting at the tender drop-off.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MCazer said:

Hi,

My family of 5 adults will be sailing in August. And I was just reading up on THE KEY. 

We are all Diamond, and will be getting Wifi package.  

Was wondering if anyone currently onboard has THE KEY and can fill me in on its worth.

I know it will give you priority in tendering for shore excursions and shows and things.  Just trying to figure out our options and making the best use of time/money vs, what we already get for being Diamond.

Thanks in advance!

My personal opinion is that it doesn't offer a lot of value for the price but I can tell you that there were several rows of decent seats for this evening's performance of Effectors blocked off for D+, Pins + Key.

I suppose on an itinerary like this one with a couple of tender ports that would increase the value of the Key.

If you're planning on getting the internet anyway, I'd work out what the difference in cost is to put a number on the added value and then see if you think the extra perks are worth that amount to you.

We are on this same trip June 19th and I love reading your updates!  I have a couple questions--- not trying to start a vax/boost debate at all-- we are vaxed but not boosted (got covid the day of the appt. in December).  I have combed through all the requirements given to this point for this cruise.  We will be treated as unvaxed and will have to test additional times.  Have you been aware of how they are handling the additional testing-- day before the port, morning of the port, does the test last for just one day? Also, do you have to test again at disembarkation back in Civitaveccia?  I did see Greece dropped all vax and testing requirements for right now ( but RCL hasn't modified Greece)and I'm praying Italy will also do the same.  There will be 4 of us traveling and every test is rolling the dice.....We were on a Princess cruise where there was a bad batch of tests-- and 50% showed positive, but when they retested they were all negative.  Nail biter for sure.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

With a view like this from the gym, who wouldn't want to go and work out? 

PXL_20220510_151641300.thumb.jpg.22b66bace32f91ee680ab1d5f65d4f32.jpg

A couple of random pieces of art that caught my eye on the forward staircase on my way to the gym.

PXL_20220510_135806875.thumb.jpg.7a83d2aea05374bf87bc1313f8fb06cc.jpg

PXL_20220510_135836383.thumb.jpg.6f9f91682e73f1bf39b9042ac124d45f.jpg

PXL_20220510_140037013.thumb.jpg.12c13673bdf6ffccde7a435cdeb91d6b.jpg

I loved the art on that ship!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

My personal opinion is that it doesn't offer a lot of value for the price but I can tell you that there were several rows of decent seats for this evening's performance of Effectors blocked off for D+, Pins + Key.

I suppose on an itinerary like this one with a couple of tender ports that would increase the value of the Key.

If you're planning on getting the internet anyway, I'd work out what the difference in cost is to put a number on the added value and then see if you think the extra perks are worth that amount to you.

The Tendering is what has me thinking about it. We are doing private tours and need to be off as soon as possible.  I thought, and maybe it was Celebrity, that we had priority tendering (few years ago in Europe as well).  And when I look now, it is not a perk. So perhaps they are making more with The Key and taking it away from Diamond perk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MCazer said:

The Tendering is what has me thinking about it. We are doing private tours and need to be off as soon as possible.  I thought, and maybe it was Celebrity, that we had priority tendering (few years ago in Europe as well).  And when I look now, it is not a perk. So perhaps they are making more with The Key and taking it away from Diamond perk.

I have had the Key twice and really liked having it even though I never needed to tender.  I like the boarding day lunch, having your carryon taken to cabin, debarkation day breakfast and also the reserved seats are awesome!  I always buy internet and either combine with Unlimited Drink package or The Key.  

• Like 2