Uograde to Premium Beverage Package not worth the money

drakes2

I'm lucky enough that I can afford higher-end wines/alcohol. If X had an 'Ultra' Premium drinks package I'd buy it--and I'm sure I'd get my money's worth (to my palate).  But they don't have this upgrade (maybe because most people wouldn't pay up or don't care enough).  Alternatively I'd pay the incremental amount over the $15/glass premium price to get something 'better' (again, to my palate). I tried this on the Edge last month and they didn't have ANY by-the-glass options I ordered, even at the higher price point.  I don't think it's just supply chain issues.  I think part of this shortage is that prices for wines have skyrocketed over the past year--especially for the more expensive ones (by much more than 8%). So X has no incentive to stock up on those wines unless they raise their prices even more.  Just my $.02.

14 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I'm lucky enough that I can afford higher-end wines/alcohol. If X had an 'Ultra' Premium drinks package I'd buy it--and I'm sure I'd get my money's worth (to my palate).  But they don't have this upgrade (maybe because most people wouldn't pay up or don't care enough).  Alternatively I'd pay the incremental amount over the $15/glass premium price to get something 'better' (again, to my palate). I tried this on the Edge last month and they didn't have ANY by-the-glass options I ordered, even at the higher price point.  I don't think it's just supply chain issues.  I think part of this shortage is that prices for wines have skyrocketed over the past year--especially for the more expensive ones (by much more than 8%). So X has no incentive to stock up on those wines unless they raise their prices even more.  Just my $.02.

I never did believe it was a supply chain  issue.  I'll just bring my own from home and use my Elite HH benefits.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, drakes2 said:

Just returned from an 11 night Hawaii cruise on the Ecliise. Included in cruise price was the basic drinks package covering all beverages up to $9 per drink. Since I'm mostly a cabernet wine drinker and enjoy better quality wines I decided to upgrade to the premium package which covers drinks up to $15.  The first few nights I found some decent but not great and certainly not much of a variety of cabernets up to the limit included.  By the fifth night I found the MDR had run out of the Decoy and was trying to substitute the cheaper wines such as Reservado from Chile.  While its not a bad wine I didn't understand why the sommelier would not offer one of their better wines since they had such a limited selection  to choose from. Wait tines in the MDR were long one evening we waited 2 hours and 15 minutes for our entree to appear. When we questioned the waiter he said they were short staffed and kitchen could not keep up.  Maitre D was nowhere to be seen. I gave this cruise a rating of 3 out of 10, the best service I received was from my cabin steward.  This was the first sailing for the Eclipse since March of 2020 and clearly they were nowhere near ready to sail. Food quality was mediocre and was served warm most evenings.  Have done more than  a dozen Celebrity cruises and this was the worst of them all. 

Wow, we had the exact same experience on the Reflection last week! After the first 2 nights if terrible service, i.e., not getting drinks, 1 hour for entree, no dessert, we decided to eat 7 out of 10 nights in the buffet! We only went back for lobster night. And same excuse you heard, short staffed! We loved the buffet staff, and food options much better than in the main dining room! Not sure who's making the calls now for the menu, but we didn't like the choices at all! 5 years ago on the Equinox, we loved it!

16 hours ago, drakes2 said:

@cmoore5524I'm afraid it will fall upon deaf ears. I'll just bring my own wine from home and skip the AI package unless, of course, the price difference between the sail only and AI is minimal. Just yesterday I scored 2 bottles of Austin Hope cab which were in limited quantities and extremely hard to find, one will be traveling with me on my next cruise. 

Actually don’t sell contacting the CEO’s office short. I did that several years ago on an issue and I received a call the next day from LLP’s office. Her staff person listened to the issue, made it right and I was more than satisfied. I come from the school of thought (I am a recently retired CFO) that if management is not made aware of issues important to their constituents, then there is less of a likelihood of the issue getting resolved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Wow, we had the exact same experience on the Reflection last week! After the first 2 nights if terrible service, i.e., not getting drinks, 1 hour for entree, no dessert, we decided to eat 7 out of 10 nights in the buffet! We only went back for lobster night. And same excuse you heard, short staffed! We loved the buffet staff, and food options much better than in the main dining room! Not sure who's making the calls now for the menu, but we didn't like the choices at all! 5 years ago on the Equinox, we loved it!

Sorry, off topic (Premium drinks) but just to say I had the same experience on Reflection beginning of this month. Even with a long wait for food, it was difficult to get served drinks on many occasions. As for the MDR menu the choices were awful. Many nights I struggled to find anything I wanted as such strange things were put together. As I have never had such a problem before I assume the menu is created by the chef? I hope the chef on my Silhouette cruise in October will produce a more appetising choice of food for the MDR.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mark_T said:

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of embarkation day when each guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package."

Good to know, as this has not always, or even as recent as 1 year ago, been the case...

23 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

I agree with what you say...unfortunate ( ?pitiful) that they did not have any options by the glass above $15/glass available...

When does your Labor Day 2000 Bordeaux wine party start ?

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

Sorry, off topic (Premium drinks) but just to say I had the same experience on Reflection beginning of this month. Even with a long wait for food, it was difficult to get served drinks on many occasions. As for the MDR menu the choices were awful. Many nights I struggled to find anything I wanted as such strange things were put together. As I have never had such a problem before I assume the menu is created by the chef? I hope the chef on my Silhouette cruise in October will produce a more appetising choice of food for the MDR.

Good to know that it wasn't just me or me being picky. I'm really not a picky person nor high maintenance. The service was plain terrible and the menu just as bad. It sucked that we had to eat in th buffet every night almost, but the staff there was amazing! They made up for it!

9 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Good to know that it wasn't just me or me being picky. I'm really not a picky person nor high maintenance. The service was plain terrible and the menu just as bad. It sucked that we had to eat in th buffet every night almost, but the staff there was amazing! They made up for it!

What did the MDR manager say when you complained?  I think I was only there once.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

What did the MDR manager say when you complained?  I think I was only there once.

Said sorry and walked away. After the first 2 nights, we opted for buffet, only went back one more night for lobster night at the end of the cruise. It was still bad, but I could tell that they were trying to make us happy. I ordered a double espresso at end of meal, 30 minutes later I had to remind them. We almost left when they brought it to us.

15 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Said sorry and walked away. After the first 2 nights, we opted for buffet, only went back one more night for lobster night at the end of the cruise. It was still bad, but I could tell that they were trying to make us happy. I ordered a double espresso at end of meal, 30 minutes later I had to remind them. We almost left when they brought it to us.

Anyone know what is the typical passenger count in the MDR for dinner?  500? 1000?

On 5/23/2022 at 3:16 PM, D C said:

Frankly, I don't buy the argument.  

My grocery store is stocked. Costco is stocked. Total Wine is stocked.   

If the cruise companies are unable to secure the supplies they need, THEY have a problem with THEIR suppliers and need to do a better job.   

AND if they're unable to provide the advertised products, especially on the premium package, they shouldn't be advertising and selling it.  Would make a very nice 'bait & switch' case.

Hi

I went into my local Asda supermarket today,the wine isle was bursting,the spirit shelves were full.

And the beer & Lager aisle the boxes were piled high.

And yet on my April Silhouette cruise never had one can of Brits/Irish staples of Guinness or John Smiths bitter,,they never had any on the cruise after either.

73094504-6E0E-4546-B68A-6852F4D60D97.jpeg.b5af63ae812ed8d2d908f461bd13ddb3.jpeg

But someone fancied a tot of bourbon,,,,,

FE45779C-5E45-47E9-93C3-201B32710602.jpeg.349aa204f4e29fa971dd9c792aa9c4e6.jpeg

4 hours ago, laslomas said:

I was on the Silhouette November 2021 and the good was actually quite good. No complaints on anything and that was a 10 night cruise. As was my February Edge cruise.  As for the Eclipse 11 night Hawaii April 23rd service has gone so far downhill its pathetic. 

5 minutes ago, sunnyduny said:

Hi 

is it right yo just pay the differance when buying premium brand drinks if say bacard is $8 on rhe CC package  and just say bacard8 is $10 on the premium you just pay th $2 differance

You pay the difference between the $9 limit on the Classic package + the 20% gratuity, so it would cost $1.20 in your example.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, drakes2 said:

Just returned from an 11 night Hawaii cruise on the Ecliise. Included in cruise price was the basic drinks package covering all beverages up to $9 per drink. Since I'm mostly a cabernet wine drinker and enjoy better quality wines I decided to upgrade to the premium package which covers drinks up to $15.  The first few nights I found some decent but not great and certainly not much of a variety of cabernets up to the limit included.  By the fifth night I found the MDR had run out of the Decoy and was trying to substitute the cheaper wines such as Reservado from Chile.  While its not a bad wine I didn't understand why the sommelier would not offer one of their better wines since they had such a limited selection  to choose from. Wait tines in the MDR were long one evening we waited 2 hours and 15 minutes for our entree to appear. When we questioned the waiter he said they were short staffed and kitchen could not keep up.  Maitre D was nowhere to be seen. I gave this cruise a rating of 3 out of 10, the best service I received was from my cabin steward.  This was the first sailing for the Eclipse since March of 2020 and clearly they were nowhere near ready to sail. Food quality was mediocre and was served warm most evenings.  Have done more than  a dozen Celebrity cruises and this was the worst of them all. 

Gonna have to disagree with you. Been on Celebrity 8 times. Never had a bad experience.  

On 5/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, padgman1 said:

I agree with what you say...unfortunate ( ?pitiful) that they did not have any options by the glass above $15/glass available...

When does your Labor Day 2000 Bordeaux wine party start ?

It already did actually!  Popped a 2000 Pichon Baron last night (for real!)....fantastic! 😉 

2 hours ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Gonna have to disagree with you. Been on Celebrity 8 times. Never had a bad experience.  

Just because you haven’t had a bad experience means nobody else did?  I guess if you set your expectations low enough, you never will. 
I’ve been on Celebrity 24 times and have had some bad experiences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Just because you haven’t had a bad experience means nobody else did?  I guess if you set your expectations low enough, you never will. 
I’ve been on Celebrity 24 times and have had some bad experiences.

Well goody for you. I have high expectations, and have never been disappointed by celebrity.  

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, alyssamma said:

Sorry you had a bad time. However, I think you really mean the upgrade isn't worth it for *you*.

For someone like me who would upgrade to be able to drink Grey Goose it certainly would be worth it. And since the cost is only like $10-12/day, it's kind of a no brainer. I think many others would say the same.

In the very specific case you mention above it's not worth it, but in many, many other cases it is.

Also, not sure what MDR wait times or food quality have to do with upgrading to premium bev package.

Upgrades are now running around $16 a day.

3 hours ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Well goody for you. I have high expectations, and have never been disappointed by celebrity.  

For the price they are charging, your expectations aren’t high enough, or is it because you are getting your moneys worth from the drink package?

6 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

It already did actually!  Popped a 2000 Pichon Baron last night (for real!)....fantastic! 😉 

Why didn’t ‘t you call ?… you do have my phone number, right ?😉