New Carnival Grand Bahamas port

Gregoryfo

I searched but did not see that this was discussed before.  Looks like Carnival broke ground on a new cruise port in Grand Bahamas.  Another article said Carnival purchased 369 aches which should give them plenty of room.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/carnival-breaks-ground-on-grand-bahama-island-cruise-port.html

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gregoryfo said:

I searched but did not see that this was discussed before.  Looks like Carnival broke ground on a new cruise port in Grand Bahamas.  Another article said Carnival purchased 369 aches which should give them plenty of room.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/carnival-breaks-ground-on-grand-bahama-island-cruise-port.html

Well, no matter what they build, it will be an improvement over the Freeport stop!

Tom

• Like 8

I remember hearing about this before COVID but nothing since. Good news! I expect it will replace Freeport. I really doubt anything will ever replace Nassau, especially once the new terminal there gets built.

2 hours ago, Gregoryfo said:

Another article said Carnival purchased 369 acres which should give them plenty of room.

The Carnival Corporation entered into a 50 year partnership with the Bahamian government and its Port Authority. No land was sold to Carnival Corporation.

Edited by sanmarcosman

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Well, no matter what they build, it will be an improvement over the Freeport stop!

Tom

About 10 years ago I heard a comic on a Carnival cruise say in his act that Carnival only stops at Freeport to make Nassau look good.  🙂 

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Was just in Grand Bahama a couple of days ago, and yes, they have broken ground. The island is large and the new port will be miles from the existing one in Freeport.

I wonder what this means for the straw market, fat tuesdays, etc., at the existing Freeport terminal. I suppose they'll stay there for the non-CCL ships that will presumably continue to call there. I doubt a CCL vessel will ever call at the existing port once this one is completed.

I will be in Freeport later this year and look forward to seeing it again. Frankly I have thumbed my nose at Freeport and Nassau in the past - but after 2020 and being told I can't cruise I am once again kissing their soil!

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor

It's actually old news that keeps popping up from time to time. Well, apparently not often enough 😴.

It's just going to be another Carnival port. Been there, done that scenario.

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

I wonder what this means for the straw market, fat tuesdays, etc., at the existing Freeport terminal. I suppose they'll stay there for the non-CCL ships that will presumably continue to call there. I doubt a CCL vessel will ever call at the existing port once this one is completed.

I will be in Freeport later this year and look forward to seeing it again. Frankly I have thumbed my nose at Freeport and Nassau in the past - but after 2020 and being told I can't cruise I am once again kissing their soil!

Do any other cruise lines go to Freeport?

7 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

Do any other cruise lines go to Freeport?

What is now known as Margaritaville at Sea does. Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line. I don't know if other lines do or not.

21 hours ago, Gregoryfo said:

Don't hold your breath that you will be docking there anytime soon.  

Breaking ground" in island time could mean  that it might be ready in 5-10 years (LOL).   New port:  Soon Come

I am sure that some day it will be wonderful!

3 minutes ago, sgttami said:

Don't hold your breath that you will be docking there anytime soon.  

Breaking ground" in island time could mean  that it might be ready in 5-10 years (LOL).   New port:  Soon Come

I am sure that some day it will be wonderful!

Suppose to open in 2024. https://www.cruisehive.com/construction-begins-on-carnival-cruise-lines-200-million-grand-bahama-port/71862