A report from the first Zaandam sailing in 790 days.

Ready2go11

5 hours ago, WFBgal said:

For people with difficulty getting around, they could rent a small scooter. I saw plenty of smaller ones on N Stantendam in Feb-March. Staff in Lido always willing to help those on scooters with taking plates to tables. 

Not so simple for those with mobility issues.  We see many people struggle with their scooters and trying to get assistance in the Lido.  I am not in that situation, thankfully, but try to put myself in their place.  I believe it would be much easier for people to be served in a dining room, rather than "renting a small scooter" and waiting for people to take a a plate to their tables.  How do they order in the Lido?  Sitting in a scooter is rather low. It's depressing to read this, really.

• Like 2

Today we are in Boston. It was about a mile and half walk to beginning  of the historic district so we took an UBER from the Raymond Flynn marine port to the north end, stopping at Regina’s Pizza and both Mikes and Modern Bakery for some delicious Italian pastry. Weather was a bit cloudy but in the 70s and a great day to be out and about. After that, we walked back to the ship to work off some of those calories.  

There was a 3,4 and 5 star Mariner reception on the first sea day for 30 minutes with some bubbly. We were told that there would be no other Mariner breakfast, brunch or other events (except maybe for higher stars- I am close to 4 but not quite there yet). 

I am attaching below the Where and Whens so far (4 days) 

We did go to tea again this afternoon after getting back on the ship. They offer the same items each day and the cream and scones are excellent. I was glad they offered tea even though it was a sea day. 

I also noticed in the Where and When for today that it had hours for breakfast in the dining room, even though it did not show on the Navigator app.  We wanted a faster option so did not go but nice to see-perhaps there was feedback HAL listed to. 

Breakfast and lunch in the Lido have been busy when it is the only option, but honestly not as crowded as other ships I have been on pre-pandemic.  At most I have seen maybe 2-3 people in line at a station and you can still get around without bumping into a lot of people.

Of note, the Lido had a fresh crepe station available yesterday; a nice, different option.  

A72AB112-DA2B-4CB0-A15B-764DAFCACFD5.jpeg

9E38BD6D-704C-41A5-BC8B-2D111A25569D.jpeg

C7A39286-F8F4-4AB9-B367-75EC7E0BAC0C.jpeg

9D8B0A9C-CB4E-49BC-B8F2-309A1AB26FD5.jpeg

333DB031-0623-48D7-BFB1-6E00345D0819.jpeg

4E8724BC-7D9C-4CC6-B963-6E4A648D7A9F.jpeg

20FCDCED-750D-4088-96DF-6E63F2F22193.jpeg

D725CE08-669D-4C91-BB14-86C9C380E2CF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also of note, I am able to get my work email using the ship wifi. I was able to prior to 2018 but then it stopped since it was secured by VPN. For some reason on this ship it is working. Not sure if they are allowing it again, or it works because my package on this cruise included the premium internet, not just the surf package. 

it was a welcome change back. 

if there is anything else I can find out for anyone, please ask. The service is generally improving as the days go by and we are having a good time and enjoying the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

Not so simple for those with mobility issues.  We see many people struggle with their scooters and trying to get assistance in the Lido.  I am not in that situation, thankfully, but try to put myself in their place.  I believe it would be much easier for people to be served in a dining room, rather than "renting a small scooter" and waiting for people to take a a plate to their tables.  How do they order in the Lido?  Sitting in a scooter is rather low. It's depressing to read this, really.

Exactly.  This was the nicest post to.  Another was removed.  What if a person has a broken arm? How does a scooter help?  It’s really not too much to have a dining room open.  The op is not asking for it to be open 24/7.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

As someone who has actually used a mobility scooter for the last many cruises, I disagree with almost everything you posted here. 

Since I began using a scooter the stewards in the Lido can't seem to do enough for me. The carry the plate, and accompany me down the line. It is very easy to see what is available from the sitting position. They help find a place to sit if I haven't staked out a spot already, and if there is no convenient place to park the scooter, they drive it away to someplace safe, return with the key, let me know where it is, and fetch it for me when I am finished. 

If the day ever comes when you can't cruise without a scooter, don't let mobility difficulties stop you from using the Lido if you wish to. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, RuthC said:

As someone who has actually used a mobility scooter for the last many cruises, I disagree with almost everything you posted here. 

Since I began using a scooter the stewards in the Lido can't seem to do enough for me. The carry the plate, and accompany me down the line. It is very easy to see what is available from the sitting position. They help find a place to sit if I haven't staked out a spot already, and if there is no convenient place to park the scooter, they drive it away to someplace safe, return with the key, let me know where it is, and fetch it for me when I am finished. 

If the day ever comes when you can't cruise without a scooter, don't let mobility difficulties stop you from using the Lido if you wish to. 

Actually, I thought my post was rather nice, Ruth.  I seem to remember your posts, in the past, complaining a bit about room service trays blocking your scooter in the hallways.  But, nevermind, there are those of us who try to be thoughtful.  I didn't realize they treated you so well in the Lido, and I am glad for you, but I can assure you that it is not the same for all.  I've seen others struggle with the scooters.  It is happening.  My eyes don't lie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Actually, I thought my post was rather nice, Ruth.  I seem to remember your posts, in the past, complaining a bit about room service trays blocking your scooter in the hallways.  But, nevermind, there are those of us who try to be thoughtful.  I didn't realize they treated you so well in the Lido, and I am glad for you, but I can assure you that it is not the same for all.  I've seen others struggle with the scooters.  It is happening.  My eyes don't lie.

Also pre pandemic experience doesn't necessarily mimic the situation now.  

• Like 1

Thanks RuthC. If I get there (needing a scooter) I will definitely remember your helpful advice.

And also, thanks RuthC.....based on the responses to your response, my ignore list and my comfort level on this site is growing.. 😀

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the live updates… this is great!

Can anyone on board confirm the mask policy? I saw that today on the Noordam that masks are now required everywhere.

And did the MDR actually open for breakfast today? Was anyone able to confirm this. Let us know how tomorrow goes. 

We board in Boston in 2 weeks!

I have temporary mobility issues because of an accident I am a 5 star mariner, we did not cancel this cruise because we thought that breakfast every day  and lunch on sea days in the dining room the usual procedure up to now would continue.If we had heard of this before final payment we would have canceled.My doctor and Physio want me to do lots of walking so a scooter would be counterproductive I hope to be out circling the Promenade deck.Thank you for the report on the ship if you find out that breakfast is being served please let us know we board this Saturday.

Thanks for the support 

• Like 1

Hi. Just reporting that the dining room has been open for breakfast for the first two port days. It is not listed as open on the Navigator App, but is shown on the When and Where paper. 

• Like 5

Just returned from breakfast in the dining room on this Monday in Bar Harbor. As noted yesterday, service in dining room is slower but attentive… ever improving. Not very crowded as some people who may only be using the navigator app would not think it is open. 

On Saturday evening until after we docked in Boston, it was extremely foggy, and the fog horn blew all night. Boston was then sunny and mild. Overnight, the fog horn started again and as of 8:45 it is still very foggy. I don’t think there will be a lot of rushing for tender tickets to Bar Harbor at least not yet. It is also very chilly at around 48 degrees. Only supposed to hit mid50s today. We need some sun to burn off the fog. 

A few other notes…

We have the HIA drink package and were each charged $5.13 for a bottle of water from the Ocean bar. After two trips to customer service they removed it yesterday, only to have it reappear this morning. Apparently, with the beverage package you are entitled to cans of water, not the aluminum bottles. However, i just ordered a water and that is what they gave us. Not sure why it is such an issue to get corrected. 

On Sunday morning at around 5:15am we were awoken by the chirp of our smoke alarm; signaling the battery was going dead. We called customer service and the attendant first told us (I kid you not). “That is what it is supposed to do.”  We said no it is not supposed to chirp every 10 seconds. On a good note, someone came to our room in less than 10 minutes with a new battery and all was quiet again. Things happen, but kudos to HAL on customer service to send someone quickly to resolve the problem. 

We purchased unlimited laundry service since this is a 9 day cruise and we will be staying an extra 3 days in Montreal. For 9 days it was $63. I was pleased as that is cheaper than the $99 I paid for my last 7 day cruise in Dec 2019.  You could also choose a $20 by the bag option. 

We have premium internet as part of our package but could spend $60 extra to have 3 devices connected at once instead of just one allowed at a time. 

Last night we ate in the dining room. The food was good but not what was advertised (stated as brisket, but it was really pot roast). Before dinner we ordered a cosmo and Hemingway daiquiri at the ocean bar. Both were very good- perhaps because we ordered them at a place where they were on the menu. I ordered a second daiquiri in the dining room and it was not as well made, but still good. 

After dinner, we watched the end of game night- they have 2 teams and play a few rounds of a couple different games. It was very entertaining and fun. There was a good size number of people watching. Next we went to the 9:30 In Tandem show by the dancers. The singer was very good and the dancers very talented. 

Here  is the When and Where for today and our Montreal disembarkation instructions received this morning. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

Thanks for the live updates… this is great!

Can anyone on board confirm the mask policy? I saw that today on the Noordam that masks are now required everywhere.

And did the MDR actually open for breakfast today? Was anyone able to confirm this. Let us know how tomorrow goes. 

We board in Boston in 2 weeks!

Masks are still optional for guests (crew are required to wear them). We are wearing in all public areas except when eating or drinking, and I estimate 15% of other passengers are also regularly wearing a mask. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louise sail said:

I have temporary mobility issues because of an accident I am a 5 star mariner, we did not cancel this cruise because we thought that breakfast every day  and lunch on sea days in the dining room the usual procedure up to now would continue.If we had heard of this before final payment we would have canceled.My doctor and Physio want me to do lots of walking so a scooter would be counterproductive I hope to be out circling the Promenade deck.

You may want to ask your doctor if renting a rollator would be a good idea for the cruise. You can just push it along as you walk, but would have a seat with you should the need to sit happen all of a sudden. 
If something happened, and there is a person with you, you can even sit and be pushed! 

It could come in handy if you do need to stand in lines in the Lido. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this thread.  We will be on Zaandam for 33 days this fall.  Appreciate the detail of the posts.   

hopefully HAL will pay close attention to the fact that the smallest ship in their fleet has the most passengers…assuming that is because more passengers want to sail on the smaller ship not that HAL limited bookings on the larger ships. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

I ordered a second daiquiri in the dining room and it was not as well made,

There is a small section in one area of the Galley where wines and other adult beverages originate.  Whomever is at work in that area during the dinner hour may not have the same expertise as a bartender in one of the other Lounges.  

On 5/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, Ready2go11 said:

to catch up on Day 1 and 2…

We ate in the main dining room on the first night for dinner at 6pm.  The food was well presented and, in my opinion, to Holland America standards. Service was slow and ordering a bar drink was an endeavor but it was the first night of service in 2+ years so really not bad at all. We both had pork chops with huckleberry jam. 

After dinner we went to the HAL 150 years show narrated by Cruise Director Ian. If you are a HAL loyalist it is a can’t miss. Ian was a great host and I learned a little about a lot of things 

Last night we also ate in the main dining room for dinner (7:30) on dressy night. They had the special menu on silver paper. Nice choices and our food was delicious. My sister and I ordered the mushroom risotto and the filet and shared. Both were very good. Bar service was improved as well as table service, and the meal took about 20 minutes less than the first night.   

The show last night was One Step Dance Humanity, and we elected instead to walk around for a bit and then read before sleep. So, i cannot comment on that but have heard several others say it was very good. 

We had a Pinnacle reservation set for Day 7 but noticed on the app that it was changed. When we inquired, they said the Pinnacle was closed that night and they rescheduled us to tonight. We also noticed that the Canaletto is only open on 3 nights. Could be that the Pinnacle is reserved for some reason. 

The staff has been almost universally friendly and welcoming. It seems many of them are not rusty from being off, but are new to cruise ships altogether. The friendly attitude helps as they want to learn. As always, the more you put into getting to know the crew and appreciating the service they provide, the better service you receive.

The bar staff in particular need more training. On Day 1 we ordered drinks that were missing one or more ingredients. If I did not have the drink package, I would have been more unhappy about it. We have provided feedback in the app as we have gone along, both good and bad while it is fresh in our minds. 

We have also ordered coffees each morning at the Explorations Cafe. Lots of choices and everything ordered was very good. 

Classical duo confirmed to be joining in Boston, at 2 sets per evening. At the coffee talk with Ian this morning, they noted the piano player was sea sick last night, and the classical duo was delayed due to “family and visa issues.”

At the coffee talk, Erica, the media manager,  joined and talked about how the Where and When is put together. She also mentioned that we are on the smallest ship of the fleet, but have the most passengers this week at just over 1,000. 

They noted the partnerships with Microsoft and America’s Test Kitchen ended, but starting with the Zuiderdam dry dock this December the Microsoft Studio would be turned into a full library and reading room on the larger ships. 

No matter the issues, we are grateful to be on board again. The Zaandam is an older ship and creaks a little more than I am used to but it is freshly painted and newly refurbished. The mild inconveniences on HAL are still a better experience than the other lines I have sailed with.  

We have been moving pretty fast, at night getting to 26-27 knots to make it to Boston on time tomorrow morning. Even during day, we have been averaging around 20-21 knots. 

Sharing photos below of the ocean bar where the band plays,  the mix lounge that has 2 bars and several seating areas, and the explorations lounge where there are talks, music and games. Please forgive typos as I am typing on a small screen. 7ABCC985-27CE-4789-A4C0-3BD9D433DBDA.thumb.jpeg.befc648023d2e9826898f04ad4244b30.jpegg

F4B75939-1255-4D73-B107-1BC328FCCB27.jpeg

98469FF0-6739-417F-9EF0-ACBABB7804EA.jpeg

49FCDCA5-2F96-4D0C-8761-03F1E38035AE.jpeg

9E0B74B7-CC5D-4ACB-8596-59B857EDD7F4.jpeg

76A9EE2F-6AE9-441C-95F8-D5FF6E351335.jpeg

B31E198B-2E03-4D60-9D92-9CB4AC75CCAB.jpeg

If Zaandam is really doing 26 knots, she must have a teflon slick hull! Maybe a following wind, too.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Thanks for this thread.  We will be on Zaandam for 33 days this fall.  Appreciate the detail of the posts.   

hopefully HAL will pay close attention to the fact that the smallest ship in their fleet has the most passengers…assuming that is because more passengers want to sail on the smaller ship not that HAL limited bookings on the larger ships. 

I believe that the Rotterdam was sailing close to capacity for some of the Caribbean sailings so I don’t know if I’d draw that conclusion from one sailing.  If the smaller ships were huge moneymakers they’d likely still be in the fleet.

• Like 2