A report from the first Zaandam sailing in 790 days.

Ready2go11

For those of you on future cruises - when stopping in Charlottetown make sure to pick up some chocolate at the Anne of Green Gables chocolate shop - there is one in the pier complex as well as the main street in Charlottetown (Queen Elizabeth Street if I recall correctly).

• Like 5

7 hours ago, RD64 said:

For those of you on future cruises - when stopping in Charlottetown make sure to pick up some chocolate at the Anne of Green Gables chocolate shop - there is one in the pier complex as well as the main street in Charlottetown (Queen Elizabeth Street if I recall correctly).

We've done that on past sailings.  It was very good.

• Like 1

I fell far behind on my daily updates after 4 straight port days and after typing put a long one on Bar Harbor yesterday, it disappeared into the ether after I lost connection briefly. 

Here are some noted from Bar Harbor (day 5 for us). 

The day started very foggy again and we again awoke to the foghorns. Despite the weather, after a leisurely breakfast in the dining room, and some waiting to let those who were eager to get off go ahead, we went to get our tender tickets about an hour after we were cleared. Our tickets were for the very next tender and we only had to wait about 7 minutes. 

The tenders were very crowded and a little uncomfortable for me given COVID situation. As I said before, very few people are wearing masks. 

We finally arrived on shore, and as we walked up the hill from the port area, it was less foggy. Eventually it would become a beautiful sunny day, but was chilly at around 50 with some wind. 

Bar Harbor was quaint, with numerous shops selling all kinds of things along its streets. There is a very nice sea side park and it has more inns per capita than anywhere I have been before! 

We walked around to the Village Green, mailed a post card at the Post Office and eventually ended up at the Thirsty Whale for lunch. The chowder and lobster roll were very good. It was crowded with a wait at 12:30 but worth it for this place we had scoped out before arriving. 

The tender back was again cramped and stuffy, and we had to wait a little extra while they offloaded the tender before us. The tenders on the Zaandam have seats that run long ways (parallel) rather than the short sideways benches with a break in the middle that I am used to. 

Dinner that night was at the Rudis pop up in the Pinnacle Grill. Our Dutch waiter was new to cruise ships but he made up for his lack of experience experience with a whole lot of charm. My sister and I shared the bouillabaisse, foie gras and escargot as appetizers, then each had a fantastic lobster tail that was cooked perfectly, with sides of masked potatoes and ratatouille. Dessert for me was the apple tarte tatin and my sister had “the best soufflé of my life.”  It was vanilla with a berry compote in the bottom. See some photos below. 

i am also including a few pics of the future cruise desk (just across from the Explorations Cafe), the cows still keeping watch over the sea view pool, the assortment of games available in the Explorations Lounge and of the Wajang Theater on board where they show movies and have religious services. 

A1DFADF6-C10D-4818-8D30-1CA341A5CEC5.jpeg

42146CFD-18CF-42B4-8C94-F95FA2D2B67B.jpeg

C87C2140-3BCA-4E85-A1B8-3D111BEA0AB1.jpeg

7C4760A2-BB50-4E74-9C7F-936969D040C8.jpeg

BD4F07D1-5290-4D5B-9199-998F4D5CA580.jpeg

EF25C14F-8A2F-46B2-A2EC-181CB17743FE.jpeg

E51BAAE7-8E49-443C-9264-039B58EF3743.jpeg

DC55B98D-D956-4A02-890C-C45B9556B394.jpeg

876DAF08-3409-4FD5-B6E9-ED2E83456D5C.jpeg

7DEDC602-9EFE-4A1B-AB4A-E6EF6981612C.jpeg

6E97B048-5FA9-4BA5-9BDB-71918D3391B3.jpeg

F5C0D6BD-D374-4674-BA63-41389CD6A388.jpeg

53FE8970-5193-4D58-A05D-EB778533CDE1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Our day in Halifax started surprise, foggy!  See photo from the balcony showing, well, nothing. 😀

Never having been to Halifax, we decided to tough it out, and we bundled up and off the ship. So nice to just walk off after the tender the day before. 

We went in search of the bakeries we had researched. That entailed a walk through a pedestrian tunnel under the railroad tracks, and a healthy walk up some hills. The first the Gingerbread Haus did not disappoint. They had a very good variety and traditional and some other bakery treats (butter cookies, Mozart cake- chocolate cake with a mouse like filling that is then dipped in chocolate) and very good gingerbread cookies.  As we walked to the next bakery on the list, it required a walk further in to the city center, and up more hills. 

It had cleared up a fraction, but the skies started getting dark and we were very fortunate to find shelter under the Rogers Center overhand before the skies opened up. After a 20 minute wait for the storm to pass and a check of the weather (no more rain in sight) we headed off. The hills in Halifax were reminiscent of San Francisco as you must head up away from the water, although not as dramatic of course. The reward at the top was the great views, especially from around the Citadel area. 

The other bakeries were not as enticing (not much selection), and after some window shopping, we ended up at  a cider house- the Bulwark.  They had a sampler to try different flavors. We are not beer drinkers but enjoyed the peach and spicy winter blends the best. 

Now hungry for lunch, we headed back down towards the water and had phenomenal steamed  mussels at McElvies, where I all but tipped the bowl to drink the lemony, garlicky broth. I highly recommend stopping there. We also had chowder that was good. 

We walked back to the ship by the much more scenic boardwalk. It was cool and windy but the air smelled like the sea and it was refreshing. 

Dinner that evening was at the Pinnacle at 8:30, the only reservation we could get. We asked for and were seated in the section with our waiter from the night before. We each had the wedge salad and clothesline bacon. I know people on CC are either lovers or haters. I am firmly in the love camp. It was thick and sweet and tangy. Entrees were the rib eye for me and petit filet for my sister. The steaks were cooked perfectly. Dessert was less of a wow. The chocolate soufflé was a little bland and cakey, while the Not So Baked Alaska was not what I remembered. I guess they could not source any cherries garcia ice cream so there was vanilla ice cream with a few cherries imbedded into it on top. Just not what I was expecting although the meringue on top was plentiful and oh so good. 

We had been leaving comments on the app all week, both of challenges and what we loved and after this we posted that if they do not have an ingredient, it is far better to let the guest know, then serve something not as described on a menu and let it be a surprise. Managing expectations would be far better than feeling shorted. Unfortunately, on this ship, the rumors were true and there was no amuse bouche at the beginning and no truffles at the end of the meal. 🥲

Despite the changes, we still enjoyed our meal. 

Finally, tonight was the orange party at the Ocean Bar. and some guests wore orange. We only got there at the tail end of it as our dinner was so late and took so long, but it seemed other guests were having fun and the HAL cruise staff were doing their best to make sure everyone had a good time. 

98A2D61D-E148-4A0D-A39B-9E2F65E2D247.jpeg

6FA7E271-085A-4D5D-8A37-8F43316774BE.jpeg

369AD7F4-05D8-4376-8B3C-F29318D70563.jpeg

69A3AEB7-6ACD-4C89-85F0-261D6069E84E.jpeg

B3438C15-FC1B-4418-84F6-3BCC3A794A3C.jpeg

6E7ACE88-0ABE-48FD-8A37-E472F26E8BAC.jpeg

CDB57747-CBE3-4DE0-B725-009496A40F7E.jpeg

D2897201-7B09-4168-BD58-2363C1527524.jpeg

594CE757-6ADE-4DB6-9F67-B9D58F1D1610.jpeg

A2D1BAFA-5EBA-463C-BA0E-8784451AC11A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Hello I have a question. I have downloaded the Navigator app and want to make dinner reservations in he main dining room but there is no option to do so. Can someone tell me where to find it. Our cruise agent had said we could do it after downloading the App.

thanks

12 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

The chocolate soufflé was a little bland and cakey

Enjoying your reports; thank you for making them and posting such good photos.

A souffle that was undercooked, I think.  I have had issues with the PG's preparation of this dessert.  

11 hours ago, gobar said:

Hello I have a question. I have downloaded the Navigator app and want to make dinner reservations in he main dining room but there is no option to do so. Can someone tell me where to find it. Our cruise agent had said we could do it after downloading the App.

thanks

You have to log in on their website 😩… it doesn’t work on app for me either. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 7:43 AM, Ready2go11 said:

Our day in Halifax started surprise, foggy!  See photo from the balcony showing, well, nothing. 😀

Never having been to Halifax, we decided to tough it out, and we bundled up and off the ship. So nice to just walk off after the tender the day before. 

We went in search of the bakeries we had researched. That entailed a walk through a pedestrian tunnel under the railroad tracks, and a healthy walk up some hills. The first the Gingerbread Haus did not disappoint. They had a very good variety and traditional and some other bakery treats (butter cookies, Mozart cake- chocolate cake with a mouse like filling that is then dipped in chocolate) and very good gingerbread cookies.  As we walked to the next bakery on the list, it required a walk further in to the city center, and up more hills. 

It had cleared up a fraction, but the skies started getting dark and we were very fortunate to find shelter under the Rogers Center overhand before the skies opened up. After a 20 minute wait for the storm to pass and a check of the weather (no more rain in sight) we headed off. The hills in Halifax were reminiscent of San Francisco as you must head up away from the water, although not as dramatic of course. The reward at the top was the great views, especially from around the Citadel area. 

The other bakeries were not as enticing (not much selection), and after some window shopping, we ended up at  a cider house- the Bulwark.  They had a sampler to try different flavors. We are not beer drinkers but enjoyed the peach and spicy winter blends the best. 

Now hungry for lunch, we headed back down towards the water and had phenomenal steamed  mussels at McElvies, where I all but tipped the bowl to drink the lemony, garlicky broth. I highly recommend stopping there. We also had chowder that was good. 

We walked back to the ship by the much more scenic boardwalk. It was cool and windy but the air smelled like the sea and it was refreshing. 

Dinner that evening was at the Pinnacle at 8:30, the only reservation we could get. We asked for and were seated in the section with our waiter from the night before. We each had the wedge salad and clothesline bacon. I know people on CC are either lovers or haters. I am firmly in the love camp. It was thick and sweet and tangy. Entrees were the rib eye for me and petit filet for my sister. The steaks were cooked perfectly. Dessert was less of a wow. The chocolate soufflé was a little bland and cakey, while the Not So Baked Alaska was not what I remembered. I guess they could not source any cherries garcia ice cream so there was vanilla ice cream with a few cherries imbedded into it on top. Just not what I was expecting although the meringue on top was plentiful and oh so good. 

We had been leaving comments on the app all week, both of challenges and what we loved and after this we posted that if they do not have an ingredient, it is far better to let the guest know, then serve something not as described on a menu and let it be a surprise. Managing expectations would be far better than feeling shorted. Unfortunately, on this ship, the rumors were true and there was no amuse bouche at the beginning and no truffles at the end of the meal. 🥲

Despite the changes, we still enjoyed our meal. 

Finally, tonight was the orange party at the Ocean Bar. and some guests wore orange. We only got there at the tail end of it as our dinner was so late and took so long, but it seemed other guests were having fun and the HAL cruise staff were doing their best to make sure everyone had a good time. 

98A2D61D-E148-4A0D-A39B-9E2F65E2D247.jpeg

6FA7E271-085A-4D5D-8A37-8F43316774BE.jpeg

369AD7F4-05D8-4376-8B3C-F29318D70563.jpeg

69A3AEB7-6ACD-4C89-85F0-261D6069E84E.jpeg

B3438C15-FC1B-4418-84F6-3BCC3A794A3C.jpeg

6E7ACE88-0ABE-48FD-8A37-E472F26E8BAC.jpeg

CDB57747-CBE3-4DE0-B725-009496A40F7E.jpeg

D2897201-7B09-4168-BD58-2363C1527524.jpeg

594CE757-6ADE-4DB6-9F67-B9D58F1D1610.jpeg

A2D1BAFA-5EBA-463C-BA0E-8784451AC11A.jpeg

Love  your  food  photos.

Jim.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

You have to log in on their website 😩… it doesn’t work on app for me either. 

I believe that Main DR schedules and/or reservations must be made by PCC or TA in advance. You can change or update once on board with maitre D. There also is a form that can be filled out and emailed somewhere on website to customer service.

48 minutes ago, semibeater said:

I believe that Main DR schedules and/or reservations must be made by PCC or TA in advance.

As soon as reservations can be made for the Specialty Restaurants (usually about 5-6 months before sailing), you can book times on the Website for Anytime Dining in the MDR. No need to have your TA or PCC do it. If you have Fixed Dining, there is no need to make MDR reservations.

If you want to change your dining preference (Fixed vs Anytime), then, yes, your PCC or TA must do it. Sometimes it is not possible to switch from Anytime to Fixed.

When I was on the 20-day Eurodam Panama Canal cruise in April, there were no wine stewards on board and bed sheets were changed weekly instead of every three days. There was one cellar master in the dining room but the waiter was responsible for ALL beverages. What’s the status of dinner drinks and bed sheets on the Zaandam? Thank you!

11 hours ago, QuiltingGirl said:

Hello, glad to hear things are doing better on Zaandam. Will be sailing on her in July, first time sailing HAL. Is there a Roman Catholic priest on board?  

We had daily mass with a Catholic Friar from Boston.  He said he was getting off but would be replaced by someone else. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, janmcn said:

Looks like the Future Cruise people are still in the middle between the Exploration Cafe and the Explorers Lounge...is the library around the Exploration Cafe still intact?

Yes. An earlier post showed some of the walls of books in and around the Explorations Cafe. There were several walls of shelves. on travel, fiction and non fiction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LadyVol1 said:

When I was on the 20-day Eurodam Panama Canal cruise in April, there were no wine stewards on board and bed sheets were changed weekly instead of every three days. There was one cellar master in the dining room but the waiter was responsible for ALL beverages. What’s the status of dinner drinks and bed sheets on the Zaandam? Thank you!

We did not have wine stewards. We ordered dinner beverages from our main waiter. They were usually then delivered by another server. Since The Pinnacle Grill was closed the last 3 nights of the sailing, those waiters were assigned to the main dining room and we saw them delivering alcoholic beverages. 

Our bed sheets were not automatically changed during the 9 day cruise; however a request for a change worked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ready2go11 said:

We did not have wine stewards. We ordered dinner beverages from our main waiter. They were usually then delivered by another server. Since The Pinnacle Grill was closed the last 3 nights of the sailing, those waiters were assigned to the main dining room and we saw them delivering alcoholic beverages. 

Our bed sheets were not automatically changed during the 9 day cruise; however a request for a change worked. 

Thanks. I had been told that the wine steward position had been eliminated by corporate but found that hard to believe since the waiters had little wine knowledge but I guess it’s true! The cellar master told me he was trying to train the waitstaff on wines but that it was very hard.  On the Eurodam we had a difficult time getting second pours since our waiter was so busy with food. 

I spoke to the Housekeeping Manager (?) at a Eurodam Mariner’s reception and he didn’t know about the 7-day sheet policy yet our room steward told us he had been instructed to change them every 7 days vs. 3. I doubt the room steward had misunderstood his orders….

• Like 1

I will catch up and share experiences from last 2 days of the cruise, but wanted to share our last morning since it will be relevant for many. 

We were allowed to choose our disembarkation time, and pick up luggage tags at guest services based on chosen time. 

The Lido was open for breakfast but the dining room was also (starting at 6:30 am). There were few people there, since I don’t think many knew it was open. We only were aware because the dining room Maitre d’ told us as we left dinner the night before. It was a nice finish to the cruise to have a more leisurely breakfast. Others with early flights and testing requirement time constraints would not have had the time.  

After breakfast we returned to our room, gathered our things and made some calls home. We were a little later than expected getting cleared, so disembarkation ran about 15 minutes behind. Since we were staying in Montreal a few more days, we elected a later off time (lime 3). Ian, the CD, made numerous announcements about people staying off the stairs and not congregating near the exit but that did not stop many. Most people hung around the Ocean Bar on 5 and it was crowded. We stayed near the Mix bar where there were fewer people. 

When our color was called, we waited a few minutes, then walked down to 2, where we scanned out for the final time. No line, we walked right off. Next, we went to the luggage area where we easily found our bags and then we were outside. I guess since we cleared customs in Halifax, and had already submitted our ArriveCan code, there was nothing else to do. 

There was a long line to exit the terminal, but a terminal employee said that was for taxis, which were surprisingly scarce, and we walked out a side door, ordered an Uber and were whisked off to our hotel. 

There were fewer passengers, but with Arrive Can and Verifly, this was the easiest on and off I have ever experienced. A welcome Covid change!

We did see some people near guest services on the last night doing their covid tests via video proctoring. I did not stop to ask how it went or if the connection was good. We will be doing the video proctored test on Monday eve ing before we fly our of Montreal on Tuesday afternoon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

Others with early flights and testing requirement time constraints would not have had the time.  

Was HAL giving free Covid tests on disembarkation morning for those with flights home (like back to the US) that were scheduled to leave within 24 hours of disembarkation?  Or were the free HAL tests for those with flights within 24 hours of disembarkation given the day before disembarkation?

Thanks to all who have posted about their experience on the Zaandam, especially Ready2go11 for starting this thread.  We will be boarding in June and have a question for anyone who can answer.

We are in an OV cabin.  I have seen many pictures of the non-updated bathrooms which include those ancient hairdryers mounted on the wall.  Is that the only hairdryer in the cabin or do they now include a regular handheld one in the desk as on the other ships?  (Oh I hope so!)

TIA!

3 hours ago, LadyVol1 said:

Was HAL giving free Covid tests on disembarkation morning for those with flights home (like back to the US) that were scheduled to leave within 24 hours of disembarkation?  Or were the free HAL tests for those with flights within 24 hours of disembarkation given the day before disembarkation?

The tests are I mentioned seeing the night before disembarkation were people doing their own via a live video chat through a service like Rapid Test and Trace. I personally did not see, or hear of any HAL options (or that were free). 

1 hour ago, Ready2go11 said:

The tests are I mentioned seeing the night before disembarkation were people doing their own via a live video chat through a service like Rapid Test and Trace. I personally did not see, or hear of any HAL options (or that were free). 

Thanks. Since I can’t get a definitive answer from HAL Seattle, I’m just going by the HAL website: “For all other cruises where a guest requires a COVID-19 test to return home and can provide proof of flight within 24 hours, Holland America line will provide a complimentary test.”

1 hour ago, VacationIsGreat said:

Thanks to all who have posted about their experience on the Zaandam, especially Ready2go11 for starting this thread.  We will be boarding in June and have a question for anyone who can answer.

We are in an OV cabin.  I have seen many pictures of the non-updated bathrooms which include those ancient hairdryers mounted on the wall.  Is that the only hairdryer in the cabin or do they now include a regular handheld one in the desk as on the other ships?  (Oh I hope so!)

TIA!

I was on one Dam ship (may have been the Zaandam but can't remember for sure) many years ago in an OV with one of those old hair dryers mounted on the bathroom wall.  We also had a handheld hair dryer in the room.  You should be fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LadyVol1 said:

Thanks. Since I can’t get a definitive answer from HAL Seattle, I’m just going by the HAL website: “For all other cruises where a guest requires a COVID-19 test to return home and can provide proof of flight within 24 hours, Holland America line will provide a complimentary test.”

Where are you cruising? Hal is not providing testing for same day flights back to the US from Canada.